Last night on Coronation Street one character was making remarks about some B&B some place and waxing un-romantic about 'with a "French toilet".
Now I had never heard of a French Toilet before in any context but here is what at least some Brits call the "French Toilet" - something you would never ever seen in civilized Britain I think.
Well images above are of the "French Toilet" which though still can be seen throughout France you see less and less - the French call them "Turkish Toilets" or Vespasieenes - named for the Emperor Vespasienne who I guess was instrumental in their evolution.
Well here is a rundown of various toilet in France - IME of many French toilets some in even fairly well off homes stink to high Hell - the toilet stool is almost always in a room by itself with the bathroom adjoining for washing, etc.
And the TP in some houses is vertually no ply!
So in France the toilets there are often a real let down - at least for Brits and Americans!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris airport shuttle
- 2 Iceland in July
- 3 Lisboa upscale hotel choice (??)
- 4 Is 2hr25m layover enough to collect and recheck baggage?
- 5 Sample itinerary Germany in March
- 6 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 7 Itinerary….Need help from Ireland Guru's
- 8 Lisbon Airport - A Huge Mess
- 9 5 Ladies, 4 Destinations and 1 Month
- 10 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 11 Spain and Portugal for two and a half weeks
- 12 Any experience with these three private guides for the Alhambra?
- 13 Copenhagen / Stockholm trip advice
- 14 Things I Learned in 3 Weeks in southern Ireland
- 15 Need help with Ligurian/CT itinerary
- 16 Le Marche, Italy
- 17 12 days, which 4 cities?
- 18 Seville Itinerary
- 19 flying into Lyon..have 10 days
- 20 Dr Manahel Thabet- Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 21 La Cite du Vin, has anyone visited ?
- 22 ATM skimmer - good example of a traveler finding one in Vienna
- 23 Quaint Towns within 2hr Driving from Amsterdam
- 24 Searching for beach town in Amalfi area for summer holiday
- 25 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?