Last night on Coronation Street one character was making remarks about some B&B some place and waxing un-romantic about 'with a "French toilet".
Now I had never heard of a French Toilet before in any context but here is what at least some Brits call the "French Toilet" - something you would never ever seen in civilized Britain I think.
Well images above are of the "French Toilet" which though still can be seen throughout France you see less and less - the French call them "Turkish Toilets" or Vespasieenes - named for the Emperor Vespasienne who I guess was instrumental in their evolution.
Well here is a rundown of various toilet in France - IME of many French toilets some in even fairly well off homes stink to high Hell - the toilet stool is almost always in a room by itself with the bathroom adjoining for washing, etc.
And the TP in some houses is vertually no ply!
So in France the toilets there are often a real let down - at least for Brits and Americans!
"The French Toilet" According to Brits...
- 1 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 2 Spain - Andalucia
- 3 Crete - trip report - 3 weeks May 2013, a great and surprising trip!
- 4 Backpacking Europe beginners questions!
- 5 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 6 Weekend in Lake Bled?
- 7 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 8 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 9 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 10 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 11 Travelling from Venice to the Cinque Terre towns.
- 12 Turkey Experts: Need Itinerary help - mostly with order of trip
- 13 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 14 One more last question on Bayeux
- 15 My first visit to Ireland, next year.
- 16 Medieval Tallinn
- 17 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 18 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 19 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 20 Revised itinerary needs approval
- 21 Euro Train
- 22 20 day Backpacking Trip
- 23 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 24 Italian language schools
- 25 Home from Rome - a trip report