Last night on Coronation Street one character was making remarks about some B&B some place and waxing un-romantic about 'with a "French toilet".
Now I had never heard of a French Toilet before in any context but here is what at least some Brits call the "French Toilet" - something you would never ever seen in civilized Britain I think.
Well images above are of the "French Toilet" which though still can be seen throughout France you see less and less - the French call them "Turkish Toilets" or Vespasieenes - named for the Emperor Vespasienne who I guess was instrumental in their evolution.
Well here is a rundown of various toilet in France - IME of many French toilets some in even fairly well off homes stink to high Hell - the toilet stool is almost always in a room by itself with the bathroom adjoining for washing, etc.
And the TP in some houses is vertually no ply!
So in France the toilets there are often a real let down - at least for Brits and Americans!
"The French Toilet" According to Brits...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Wineries open on Saturdays in October
- 2 3.5 Weeks in Europe with no luggage
- 3 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 4 Hey Fodor's
- 5 Haarlem Holland - Hotels or B&Bs
- 6 Looking for Suggestions - 12 Day Agenda for Greece
- 7 Restaurant recommendation for Milan
- 8 Pontresina to Tirano by Train
- 9 Apartment rental agencies in Barcelona
- 10 Seeking Ideas/Suggestions for Post Rhine River Cruise in Switzerland
- 11 Drat! -- Always cancel credit card after European car rental
- 12 Christmas in salzburg
- 13 Getting from Conrad Dublin to Train Station
- 14 PLEASE HELP! Study Abroad either Rome or London for Journalism/PR Major
- 15 More questions about Swiss rail system and the Bernina Express?
- 16 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 17 Two-city, two-week vacation in late Oct
- 18 Bad Experience with Argus Car Hire Insurance offered by them
- 19 30 day Multi-Country Europe Trip in June- PLEASE HELP WITH ITINERARY!!!
- 20 Drive from Granada to Seville
- 21 Pre-Trip Jitters!
- 22 Italy through locals eyes
- 23 Lagos or Portimao better base to stay
- 24 Rome, and Eastern Europe by older single woman
- 25 9 Day Spain Itinerary (Barcelona - Seville - Madrid)