Last night on Coronation Street one character was making remarks about some B&B some place and waxing un-romantic about 'with a "French toilet".
Now I had never heard of a French Toilet before in any context but here is what at least some Brits call the "French Toilet" - something you would never ever seen in civilized Britain I think.
Well images above are of the "French Toilet" which though still can be seen throughout France you see less and less - the French call them "Turkish Toilets" or Vespasieenes - named for the Emperor Vespasienne who I guess was instrumental in their evolution.
Well here is a rundown of various toilet in France - IME of many French toilets some in even fairly well off homes stink to high Hell - the toilet stool is almost always in a room by itself with the bathroom adjoining for washing, etc.
And the TP in some houses is vertually no ply!
So in France the toilets there are often a real let down - at least for Brits and Americans!
"The French Toilet" According to Brits...
- 1 Budget (or at least Somewhat Inexpensive) Lodging in Bologna
- 2 Istanbul hotels
- 3 2 Week European Itinerary
- 4 Germany with our 2 girls....help with itinerary
- 5 TGV and Provence questions
- 6 On TCM on 4/28/06 Cinema Paradiso
- 7 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 8 Car in Prague
- 9 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris
- 10 River Cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg
- 11 Driving Slovenia & Noerthern Croatia
- 12 Barcelona - Hotel Help
- 13 Rome Accommodation
- 14 To Paris and Provence in June
- 15 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 16 best beach hotel Mykonos
- 17 Suggestion for car service from DeGaulle to apartment in Paris?
- 18 Vaporetti Schedules in Venice (and how passes work!?)
- 19 Advice on 10-14 days family trip Paris-Amsterdam-Italy
- 20 Family European winter holiday
- 21 French café offers discounts to customers who remember their "Bonjour"
- 22 Gift/Travel Cards for Spain?
- 23 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 24 One more week hardly in Paris: still wandering the Ile de France
- 25 USING THE METRO FROM AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV TO Place d'Italie