Last night on Coronation Street one character was making remarks about some B&B some place and waxing un-romantic about 'with a "French toilet".
Now I had never heard of a French Toilet before in any context but here is what at least some Brits call the "French Toilet" - something you would never ever seen in civilized Britain I think.
Well images above are of the "French Toilet" which though still can be seen throughout France you see less and less - the French call them "Turkish Toilets" or Vespasieenes - named for the Emperor Vespasienne who I guess was instrumental in their evolution.
Well here is a rundown of various toilet in France - IME of many French toilets some in even fairly well off homes stink to high Hell - the toilet stool is almost always in a room by itself with the bathroom adjoining for washing, etc.
And the TP in some houses is vertually no ply!
So in France the toilets there are often a real let down - at least for Brits and Americans!
"The French Toilet" According to Brits...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Europe itinerary advice
- 2 Anti-Semitism in Hungary/Austria?
- 3 Camino No-No
- 4 Non-Crowded Europe in Mid-July
- 5 700 die off Italian coast in boat accident.
- 6 How to book reservations with Renfe Spain Pass
- 7 2 week limit. Start in Barcelona and end in Paris. How to fill the middle?
- 8 Train tickets and Theatre tickets: how far in advance to book?
- 9 Greece for a month with a baby
- 10 Seeking Suggestions for 4 day itinerary (flying out of Lyon)
- 11 Ideas on what to do for Granddaughter's 12th Birthday in London
- 12 Amsterdam restaurants
- 13 Cornwall North Coast hotel
- 14 Bologna, Italy Apartment Rentals
- 15 France and Spain in 14 days?
- 16 Scenic drive from Ghent to Amsterdam
- 17 A week in Paris
- 18 Ibiza, San Sebastian, Sicily or Nice??
- 19 Bayeux tapestry
- 20 A Very Brief Report of My Recent Trip to Paris
- 21 Ice Bar at the Nordic Sea Hotel, Stockholm
- 22 What's on your Paris wish list?
- 23 which mountain for snow experience for non skier - first visit to France
- 24 Day visit to Terezin Memorial - Tour or on our own?
- 25 9 days in switzerland