Last night on Coronation Street one character was making remarks about some B&B some place and waxing un-romantic about 'with a "French toilet".
Now I had never heard of a French Toilet before in any context but here is what at least some Brits call the "French Toilet" - something you would never ever seen in civilized Britain I think.
Well images above are of the "French Toilet" which though still can be seen throughout France you see less and less - the French call them "Turkish Toilets" or Vespasieenes - named for the Emperor Vespasienne who I guess was instrumental in their evolution.
Well here is a rundown of various toilet in France - IME of many French toilets some in even fairly well off homes stink to high Hell - the toilet stool is almost always in a room by itself with the bathroom adjoining for washing, etc.
And the TP in some houses is vertually no ply!
So in France the toilets there are often a real let down - at least for Brits and Americans!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK
- 2 Switzerland swiss mountain passes so confusing, jungfrou
- 3 Need help deciphering benefits of Swiss train pass vs German 25% off...
- 4 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 5 Guided Vatican Tours
- 6 SIM Card for London, Belgium, France & Italy
- 7 Proposed electronics ban and questions about my Kindle
- 8 How are the feasts in Malta Celebrated?
- 9 Should We Go to the French Riviera in August?
- 10 First Time in Ireland...Intinerary advice please
- 11 One July night in Verona - help!
- 12 16 days in France and Italy
- 13 Changing Planes at Fiumicino
- 14 Cappadocia in June
- 15 Exchange ZAR in Turkey
- 16 Majorca 9 days - change hotels during trip?
- 17 Lisbon
- 18 Picturesque fjord driving south west norway
- 19 Car insurance in Iceland
- 20 Gibraltar United Kingdom
- 21 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 22 Base for Hidcote, etc. from London
- 23 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 24 Scotland - We're Here!
- 25 Italy with my Teen daughters