Last night on Coronation Street one character was making remarks about some B&B some place and waxing un-romantic about 'with a "French toilet".
Now I had never heard of a French Toilet before in any context but here is what at least some Brits call the "French Toilet" - something you would never ever seen in civilized Britain I think.
Well images above are of the "French Toilet" which though still can be seen throughout France you see less and less - the French call them "Turkish Toilets" or Vespasieenes - named for the Emperor Vespasienne who I guess was instrumental in their evolution.
Well here is a rundown of various toilet in France - IME of many French toilets some in even fairly well off homes stink to high Hell - the toilet stool is almost always in a room by itself with the bathroom adjoining for washing, etc.
And the TP in some houses is vertually no ply!
So in France the toilets there are often a real let down - at least for Brits and Americans!
"The French Toilet" According to Brits...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Need Advice for my first family to Europe
- 2 Will I be able to add minutes to the phone I bought in Spain 3 years ago?
- 3 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 4 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 5 Mont St Michel
- 6 Small group tour for Vatican and Colosseum/Forum, ? catacombs
- 7 Apartments in Jun/Jul in Rome, Venice, Florence (family of 5)
- 8 Prague 3 nights - Top 10 things to do
- 9 Palm Sunday in Paris
- 10 Questions on Ferry from Bodrum to Rhodes
- 11 Champagne, Chocolates and Christmas, but no Chanel - Paris and Alsace
- 12 What Champagne House in Reims or Epernay for a day visit?
- 13 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 14 renting a car in Germany
- 15 Prague, Austria and Germany in 17 days
- 16 Tickets to Sagrada Familia
- 17 Paris in April?
- 18 Apartment and Area to Stay in Istanbul
- 19 Vienna - stay near train station or Innere Stadt?
- 20 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 21 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 22 Trip to Italy - please weigh in with suggestions and tips!!
- 23 Any suggestions for accomodations in Venice Italy mid June?
- 24 Bergamo/Bellagio - suggestions?
- 25 London hotel