We are a group of 4 - me, wife (early 30s) & parents (late 60s) planning to visit Italy for the first time in July this year. We have about 10-12 days including travel and I will like to spend them across 3 destinations – Rome, Venice & Dolomites.
I know that Rome-Florence-Venice is the usual first timers itinerary but we thought that it would be too much of art and culture and therefore we decided to skip Florence for this time in favour of a scenic destination. Final toss up was between Amalfi Coast, Lakes & Dolomites and eventually my love for green won over admiration for blue
Also, it’s the first time for my parents to visit Europe and so wanted them to get a flavour of Alps. I hope it’s a good decision but will appreciate your thoughts about my choice of destinations. Especially if there are enough simple strolls/walks in Val Gardena for elderly.
Our tentative plan is as follows:
Day 1 : Fly Singapore – Venice, Arrive in the night check-in & rest
Day 2-4 : In Venice for 3 full days
Day 5: Rent a car at Venice and drive to Ortisei.
Day 6-7 : In Val Gardena for 2 full days
Day 8 : Drive back & drop car at Verona, Fly Verona - Rome in evening
Day 9-11 : In Rome for 3 full days
Day 12: Fly Rome - Singapore
Do you think it’s a doable itinerary (too relaxed or too rushed?)
Am also not sure if am handling Val Gardena piece of travel very well, as am not sure if I will be able to do much on the day we drive up and the day we drive back. Any comments on that?
Also, if we need to cut a day in this itinerary (leave troubles), any suggestions how to condense this in 11 days.
I do have broad idea of Rome & Venice 3 day itineraries and a vague idea of Val Gardena itinerary (Alpe di Siusi, Drive thru mountain passes & some easy hikes). I will develop these further but in the meanwhile if you have any inputs will be very happy to take them on board.
Also, would travelling early / mid / late July make any difference to our trip as am about to book the flights and are flexible on when to travel in July.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 2 transportation from De Gaulle airport
- 3 Multi Country car Rental
- 4 London in Winter Report
- 5 Paris..The St. Germain area.
- 6 Madrid and Andalucia Itinerary and Travel Advice
- 7 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 8 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 9 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 10 Couscous
- 11 alcazar question and seville advice
- 12 Cycling Nice into Italy along the coast
- 13 London is it worth it?
- 14 Lisbon
- 15 Area for a 2 Week Stay in Malaga
- 16 Tuscany Itinerary
- 17 driving from London to Lourdes
- 18 One day in Berchtesgaden - what should we see
- 19 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 20 Help with Scotland Itinerary
- 21 Paris Restaurants esp in Marais
- 22 Places to stop/stay?
- 23 Visit to Sardinia
- 24 ATM
- 25 Seeking scenic route from Bala, Wales to london