I searched but could not seem to find any current advice: we are picking up a rental car on a Sunday morning in September, departing downtown Florence and heading for four nights in Montepulciano. I have noticed on Google maps there are choices ranging from highway (1 hour plus) to country road (up to 3 hours travel time). Although we will have our (carryon) luggage in our tiny rented Fiat Pinto or Panda or whatever the heck we end up with, we would like to make this our first day of exploring, since we plan to spend the whole next day out of the car, exploring Montepulciano. We have the whole day, as we check in late afternoon at our rental apartment.
Any suggestions for great routes/ places to stop? We are interested in touring an agriturismo, or lunch and walking one of the towns, or both. A Fodorite described a visit to a cheese making farm, and at the time I emailed them with no response, but now I can't find which one. Keeping in mind that this is a Sunday, how would you structure the day? What are your favorite stops? At some point, we'd like to visit one of the thermal baths also - would one of these be on the way? We could have our swimsuits on under our clothes...
Also, it looks like the best map to get for the area would be the Tuscany Regional Map by Touring Club Italiano. Agree?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 restaurants near Grosvenor House
- 2 Direct SL train from Stockholm's Arlanda airport to the Central Station?
- 3 Hotel Iturregi or Saiaz Getaria Hotel in Basque Region (Getaria)
- 4 Austria in December or in January
- 5 Multi-Generation Trip
- 6 Itinerary help for family with young kids
- 7 Is Ireland over-run by euro tourists this summer?
- 8 Lunch stop near Vouvray - winery lunch?
- 9 A Month in the Land of Ice and Fire
- 10 Nine Cities in 9 months!
- 11 Visiting les Calanques in the south of France
- 12 The First Thing You Do When You Land In Paris?
- 13 CDG terminal 2E arrival question
- 14 Russia - GO or not?
- 15 Florence sites in a day and a half? with guide?
- 16 8 Day trip to Swiss and France
- 17 Sarajevo ? Mostar ? How many days?
- 18 Paris removes Pont des Arts love locks
- 19 Espagne, Olé! Ancient to modern, through Andalucia, Toledo and Madrid
- 20 Valencia - Finally going and need advice
- 21 How to get from Positano to Nocelle
- 22 Interlaken vs. Bern
- 23 ASADOR EXTEBARRI..and assorted related topics..questions..
- 24 stay in fuschl or St Wolfgang
- 25 Lucca Hotel Easy to get to Pisa Airport