I searched but could not seem to find any current advice: we are picking up a rental car on a Sunday morning in September, departing downtown Florence and heading for four nights in Montepulciano. I have noticed on Google maps there are choices ranging from highway (1 hour plus) to country road (up to 3 hours travel time). Although we will have our (carryon) luggage in our tiny rented Fiat Pinto or Panda or whatever the heck we end up with, we would like to make this our first day of exploring, since we plan to spend the whole next day out of the car, exploring Montepulciano. We have the whole day, as we check in late afternoon at our rental apartment.
Any suggestions for great routes/ places to stop? We are interested in touring an agriturismo, or lunch and walking one of the towns, or both. A Fodorite described a visit to a cheese making farm, and at the time I emailed them with no response, but now I can't find which one. Keeping in mind that this is a Sunday, how would you structure the day? What are your favorite stops? At some point, we'd like to visit one of the thermal baths also - would one of these be on the way? We could have our swimsuits on under our clothes...
Also, it looks like the best map to get for the area would be the Tuscany Regional Map by Touring Club Italiano. Agree?
Taking the Scenic Route from Florence to Montepulciano
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 More time in Colmar/Strasbourg vs a day for Reims or Chartes
- 2 Northwestern Switzerland Fall 2014
- 3 where to stay in Lake Como in mid-May?
- 4 Time to get lowest airfare to Norway
- 5 Europe Quiz: Wednesday # 68 - Jews in Europe
- 6 Greece with 10yr old who wants to re-live Greek mythology
- 7 Car Rental in Iceland
- 8 Backpacking Europe (3-4 Weeks)
- 9 Transposed names on TGV tickets
- 10 Nice, Avignon, and Lyon
- 11 scotland trave;
- 12 Italy food budget
- 13 Alhambra tickets for May?
- 14 Family trip to France with kids
- 15 Europe in June with 8-year old
- 16 help please: draft itinery trip to andalucia with DD(11&14) in april
- 17 Leaving Tomorrow need some last minute advice
- 18 Mâché aux Puces from Garibaldi metro
- 19 Restaurant Recommendations - Pula or Rovinj
- 20 A week in spain
- 21 Family travel to Paris and Alps
- 22 Private driver Amalfi Coast
- 23 Lyon, Beaune, or Dijon as stopover from Antibes to Colmar?
- 24 One night somewhere between Zurich and Geneva
- 25 Advice on Romania Itinerary