My family (Wife, Daughter 1 - Age 2, Daughter 2 - Age 1) and I are planning a 4 day trip to Zurich and nearby areas accessible by public transport. I am very confused by all the options available as far as rail passes go. I have a few questions and will appreciate and help/guidance:
1. Do my daughters need separate passes?
2. I have read that it is possible to purchase a group pass (with 2 to 5 names listed on it) for a discount - does this apply to my situation, will I need to list all four of us on the pass, and where do I go buy this?
3. I have read that there is not a substantial difference between the 1st & 2nd class experiences (especially not one that justifies the difference is cost) - my question here is, if I buy a 2nd class pass, can I upgrade select journeys for an additional cost to first class? How would this work?
A couple of unrelated questions around travel in Switzerland in general:
1. I am hoping to carry two small strollers (umbrella type) and two medium size back packs (with all of the baby food, diapers etc.) - Is this going to be an issue with booking 2nd class tickets?
2. Will we need to carry car seats with us (in the off chance that we need to hail a cab etc.) or do taxis have special permits that will allow us to ride in taxis without car seats for the babies?
As you may have gathered, a primary objective is to make the vacation fun for the entire family including the two young ones. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Switzerland Rail Passes
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best way from Sevila's Airport to Hotel Alphonso X111 ???
- 2 London visit
- 3 Road Trip From Barcelona to Seville Ideas?
- 4 Cornwall Trip Addition
- 5 Venice to Milan train tickets (for August travel) sold out already?
- 6 Ideas for Scotland trip
- 7 Venice canal boats--best deals?
- 8 Budget for 3 Month's
- 9 Best place to stay with car in Lake Como/Maggiore
- 10 Art Deco architecture along the English Channel
- 11 Small group for Colosseum
- 12 A Good Base on Mallorca
- 13 Madrid and London
- 14 West Ireland with 81 year old mother - Pls Review Itinerary
- 15 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 16 Normandy, Brittany and Loire Valley in May - please help with itinerary
- 17 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 18 21 Days in Central Europe
- 19 3 weeks in December in Europe, need help with itinerary
- 20 Lofoten ferry
- 21 Altitude sickness in Switzerland
- 22 Suggestions for Trip to Villefranche-sur-Mer
- 23 Has anyone toured La Pietra near Florence?
- 24 Italian cooking classes
- 25 Almost 3 weeks in Sicily in March