My family (Wife, Daughter 1 - Age 2, Daughter 2 - Age 1) and I are planning a 4 day trip to Zurich and nearby areas accessible by public transport. I am very confused by all the options available as far as rail passes go. I have a few questions and will appreciate and help/guidance:
1. Do my daughters need separate passes?
2. I have read that it is possible to purchase a group pass (with 2 to 5 names listed on it) for a discount - does this apply to my situation, will I need to list all four of us on the pass, and where do I go buy this?
3. I have read that there is not a substantial difference between the 1st & 2nd class experiences (especially not one that justifies the difference is cost) - my question here is, if I buy a 2nd class pass, can I upgrade select journeys for an additional cost to first class? How would this work?
A couple of unrelated questions around travel in Switzerland in general:
1. I am hoping to carry two small strollers (umbrella type) and two medium size back packs (with all of the baby food, diapers etc.) - Is this going to be an issue with booking 2nd class tickets?
2. Will we need to carry car seats with us (in the off chance that we need to hail a cab etc.) or do taxis have special permits that will allow us to ride in taxis without car seats for the babies?
As you may have gathered, a primary objective is to make the vacation fun for the entire family including the two young ones. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Switzerland Rail Passes
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Europe Tour with Kids
- 2 Unique Venice Activity
- 3 Lakes District UK
- 4 Amsterdam + Alps + Tuscany in 2 weeks
- 5 First cut at Andalusia itinerary 15 nights
- 6 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 7 England & Scotland in April
- 8 Norway -- Nutshell tour and Stavanger
- 9 Paris Perfect: Which Apt for Honeymoon?
- 10 17days Italy itinerary for Dec
- 11 Is this the right way<>?
- 12 Versailles-How Long to Plan for a Visit to Trianons
- 13 Your favourite places in Bath
- 14 Rental car scams in Italy
- 15 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 16 Rome Areas to stay
- 17 Swiss lakes with elderly relatives
- 18 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 19 Italy and Croatia
- 20 Vicenza and Padua (Palladian villas) without a car
- 21 Paris French Language School - Help me decide:
- 22 What do you think of this Paris apartment rental?
- 23 First timers travelling through Italy, Switzerland and France in Feb/March
- 24 Italy - Month of July
- 25 Have you recently visited Copenhagen?