My family (Wife, Daughter 1 - Age 2, Daughter 2 - Age 1) and I are planning a 4 day trip to Zurich and nearby areas accessible by public transport. I am very confused by all the options available as far as rail passes go. I have a few questions and will appreciate and help/guidance:
1. Do my daughters need separate passes?
2. I have read that it is possible to purchase a group pass (with 2 to 5 names listed on it) for a discount - does this apply to my situation, will I need to list all four of us on the pass, and where do I go buy this?
3. I have read that there is not a substantial difference between the 1st & 2nd class experiences (especially not one that justifies the difference is cost) - my question here is, if I buy a 2nd class pass, can I upgrade select journeys for an additional cost to first class? How would this work?
A couple of unrelated questions around travel in Switzerland in general:
1. I am hoping to carry two small strollers (umbrella type) and two medium size back packs (with all of the baby food, diapers etc.) - Is this going to be an issue with booking 2nd class tickets?
2. Will we need to carry car seats with us (in the off chance that we need to hail a cab etc.) or do taxis have special permits that will allow us to ride in taxis without car seats for the babies?
As you may have gathered, a primary objective is to make the vacation fun for the entire family including the two young ones. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Croatia, Slovenia & Bosnia Itinerary Feedback
- 2 Sicily: la foresteria planeta estate or Villa Sicilia Baglio
- 3 Rent a Car?
- 4 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?
- 5 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 6 Whistle stop family road trip
- 7 Cars, etc. in Florence, Bologna
- 8 One week road trip Santiago de Compostela-Lisbon itinerary advice needed
- 9 Font-de-Gaume - too overweight?
- 10 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 11 2 Days in Tarragona...what to do ?
- 12 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 13 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 14 Zadar or Sibenik
- 15 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 16 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 17 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 18 Best road from Tubingen to Lindau Bodensee
- 19 Store luggage in Rome for a few hours
- 20 Best way to get around Scotland w/out a rental car??
- 21 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 22 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 23 A litle of the UK, some of Belgium and a bit more France.
- 24 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 25 Day trips from Venice and Rome