After 17 years of construction the world's longest rail tunnel or any kind of tunnel I guess has opened under the Gotthard Pass - cutting one hour off the travel time between Zurich and Milan.
Trains go up to 155 mph in the tunnel.
The new tunnel wipes out much of the wonderful Alpine scenery seen before on this main rail line- no more Alps just tunnel to be seen but you can I presume still take the old line that crosses thru a much shorter tunnel at higher altitude and is a scenic ride up to it and once out of the old tunnel.
The tunnel opened with a bang- European leaders like Merkel and Hollande took the first official train thru the tunnel and before in ceremonies there was an elaborate show with weird dancers, etc.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 한국마사회┏打】 SOJU98。ZE。AM 【打┓한국마사회
- 2 경마문화┏不】 SOJU98。ZE。AM 【不┓경마문화
- 3 레이스경마┏名】 SOJU98。ZE。AM 【名┓레이스경마
- 4 Bedbugs in Paris.
- 5 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth
- 6 Summer in Swiss Alps and Italian Lakes
- 7 Killarney
- 8 Seville- Ronda drive time
- 9 Ireland itinerary help please
- 10 No Periods in British Written English!
- 11 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 12 Sabbatical in Tuscany
- 13 Rome-Itinerary
- 14 Italy bus or train
- 15 Best place in Italy for a tourist during Easter
- 16 Paperwork to Marry in Italy
- 17 Walking itinerary in England?
- 18 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 19 hiking itinerary UK two months
- 20 10 Days Trip Bath, Cotswolds, and London with a young boy
- 21 Greek fuel cost
- 22 Day trips around Vienna
- 23 3 weeks in Central/Eastern Europe
- 24 Help me plan a 2 week trip to London and the Edinburgh Fringe Festival!
- 25 8ish days Zurich to Como...