After 17 years of construction the world's longest rail tunnel or any kind of tunnel I guess has opened under the Gotthard Pass - cutting one hour off the travel time between Zurich and Milan.
Trains go up to 155 mph in the tunnel.
The new tunnel wipes out much of the wonderful Alpine scenery seen before on this main rail line- no more Alps just tunnel to be seen but you can I presume still take the old line that crosses thru a much shorter tunnel at higher altitude and is a scenic ride up to it and once out of the old tunnel.
The tunnel opened with a bang- European leaders like Merkel and Hollande took the first official train thru the tunnel and before in ceremonies there was an elaborate show with weird dancers, etc.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 2 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 3 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 4 Travel insurance for Dutch residents question
- 5 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 6 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 7 5 Day trip with wife & teens - Nice to Paris
- 8 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 9 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 10 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 11 Summer Travel order
- 12 Overnight trip from Barcelona
- 13 Copenhagen to Stockholm
- 14 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 15 Swiss Travel Pass
- 16 Northern Italy with 2 kids itinerary help
- 17 Paris- 1 B.R. APT.
- 18 Another tipping question: concierges
- 19 24 hours in Zurich
- 20 One day on the Amalfi coast
- 21 Beautiful Ireland: a 3-week solo journey.
- 22 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 23 Trip suggestion
- 24 I need help deciding ASAP!
- 25 Places to visit during a semester in Spain