After 17 years of construction the world's longest rail tunnel or any kind of tunnel I guess has opened under the Gotthard Pass - cutting one hour off the travel time between Zurich and Milan.
Trains go up to 155 mph in the tunnel.
The new tunnel wipes out much of the wonderful Alpine scenery seen before on this main rail line- no more Alps just tunnel to be seen but you can I presume still take the old line that crosses thru a much shorter tunnel at higher altitude and is a scenic ride up to it and once out of the old tunnel.
The tunnel opened with a bang- European leaders like Merkel and Hollande took the first official train thru the tunnel and before in ceremonies there was an elaborate show with weird dancers, etc.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris: Museums, food and wine -- May 2017
- 2 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 3 Agriturismo with train access to Florence
- 4 Where to stay - Honeymoon in Southern Tuscany
- 5 Driving Bruges to Paris. Is it worth the drive?
- 6 First visit to London
- 7 Hotels in Munich and Bolzano
- 8 Train from Paris to Reims for day trip
- 9 Classical Tour of Albania
- 10 Day Trip Suggestions from Munich
- 11 itinerary recommendation 6 nights Spain (Barcelona/Madrid)
- 12 London GTG May 19-25
- 13 Seeking Scenic Route from Bath to Devon
- 14 London and Normandy
- 15 Inside the Red Light District so you don't have to be
- 16 Where to pick up rental car in Venice
- 17 Last night in Barcelona - where to stay
- 18 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 19 The essence of Swiss in 4-5 days for first timers
- 20 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 21 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 22 Paris..The St. Germain area.
- 23 FIndng Vintage French Workwear in Paris
- 24 Naples + Walking Tour
- 25 TIM in FCO - update