After 17 years of construction the world's longest rail tunnel or any kind of tunnel I guess has opened under the Gotthard Pass - cutting one hour off the travel time between Zurich and Milan.
Trains go up to 155 mph in the tunnel.
The new tunnel wipes out much of the wonderful Alpine scenery seen before on this main rail line- no more Alps just tunnel to be seen but you can I presume still take the old line that crosses thru a much shorter tunnel at higher altitude and is a scenic ride up to it and once out of the old tunnel.
The tunnel opened with a bang- European leaders like Merkel and Hollande took the first official train thru the tunnel and before in ceremonies there was an elaborate show with weird dancers, etc.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 2 Strasbourg! What to do, what to visit??
- 3 Tour Company reviews - European Graduation Trip
- 4 Scottish National Museum of Rural Life
- 5 Coastal Denmark
- 6 Christian Cafe Dating
- 7 Ideas for 10 nights in France for 1st timer
- 8 London: Big Ben- Last Call for 4 Years...
- 9 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 10 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 11 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 12 Individual train tickets instead of passes
- 13 Iceland
- 14 Help with my southern Spain itinerary please!
- 15 croatia and slovenia 29/10 - 06/11
- 16 base for Andalucia
- 17 Assist Please: A'dam/Cologne/Mosel Valley/Aachen
- 18 ANY SUGGESTION WHICH AREA OF MADRID TO STAY FOR ACCOMODATION
- 19 Scilly Islands --Abbey Gardens --Tresco
- 20 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 21 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 22 help deciding between 2 itineraries!
- 23 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 24 Italy - 21 Day Itinerary for May, 2018
- 25 train from Bucharest to Brasov