After 17 years of construction the world's longest rail tunnel or any kind of tunnel I guess has opened under the Gotthard Pass - cutting one hour off the travel time between Zurich and Milan.
Trains go up to 155 mph in the tunnel.
The new tunnel wipes out much of the wonderful Alpine scenery seen before on this main rail line- no more Alps just tunnel to be seen but you can I presume still take the old line that crosses thru a much shorter tunnel at higher altitude and is a scenic ride up to it and once out of the old tunnel.
The tunnel opened with a bang- European leaders like Merkel and Hollande took the first official train thru the tunnel and before in ceremonies there was an elaborate show with weird dancers, etc.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Iceland Itinerary Help
- 2 EuropeTravel-Trivia Quiz #152
- 3 4 days itinerary for France
- 4 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 5 South of France - 7 Days - April
- 6 3 weeks in Spain
- 7 Rent a car in England
- 8 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 9 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 10 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 11 2017 Easter in Italy
- 12 Iceland Trip Report: 9 Days in May - non Ring Road!
- 13 Please help me with the name of this town in Spain
- 14 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 15 Edinburgh to Skye
- 16 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 17 Family first time Barcelona (where and how much ?)
- 18 ISO help planning a trip to England in May
- 19 Croatia transportation question.
- 20 Airport Transfer from Edinburgh Center to Glasgow Airport
- 21 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 22 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 23 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 24 European Travel - Trivia Quiz #151
- 25 Italy Puglia and Le Marche