After 17 years of construction the world's longest rail tunnel or any kind of tunnel I guess has opened under the Gotthard Pass - cutting one hour off the travel time between Zurich and Milan.
Trains go up to 155 mph in the tunnel.
The new tunnel wipes out much of the wonderful Alpine scenery seen before on this main rail line- no more Alps just tunnel to be seen but you can I presume still take the old line that crosses thru a much shorter tunnel at higher altitude and is a scenic ride up to it and once out of the old tunnel.
The tunnel opened with a bang- European leaders like Merkel and Hollande took the first official train thru the tunnel and before in ceremonies there was an elaborate show with weird dancers, etc.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 UNITED : HP SUPPORT CONTACT ☎ 1:800-681-7208 HP PRINTER 24*7
- 2 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 3 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 4 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 5 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 6 Riviera di Ponente in mid October
- 7 Day hikes in Switzerland
- 8 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 9 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 10 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 11 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 12 Transportation from Westport via Athlone to Belturbet or Ballinamore area
- 13 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 14 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 15 Trogir or Split
- 16 Help on ancient history route
- 17 Edinbrugh
- 18 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 19 If you visit London, go to the Kew Gardens!
- 20 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 21 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 22 Swiss Pass vs Half Fare Card??
- 23 Berlin to ?
- 24 Is Dresden worth a day-trip?
- 25 Greek Mainland Itinerary