We are very excited to have a trip to Switzerland planned for this summer, but we need some help planning our itinerary!
We've booked an apartment in Lauterbrunnen for a week in mid-July (my husband's favourite spot from a backpacking trip years ago), to share with his parents, who are coming from England to join us. We have one more week to spend on our own without the family (flights not booked yet, but that's the plan), so we'd like some advice about where to spend the other seven days. We were thinking of cutting the week in half and doing a few days before and a few days after the family time.
We don't want to move around too much - ideally, we'd like one base for each half of the week with possible day trips from there.
What we like to do:
We like hiking, outdoor scenery (can't go wrong in the whole country, I know!), good food, and sightseeing. Not too into shopping, but we do enjoy exploring cities as well as countryside. While in Lauterbrunnen, we'll be doing outdoorsy stuff around the area (Wengen, Jungfraujoch, etc.)
Current (very tentative) plan:
Fly into Zurich. Spend a few days there, maybe with a day trip to Lucerne (husband was in Lucerne, but not Zurich - I've never been to Switzerland at all). Week in Lauterbrunnen. Few days in Montreux after with a day trip to Gruyere (or stay in Gruyere with a day trip to Montreux?), fly out of Geneva.
1/2 week - ???
1 week - Lauterbrunnen
1/2 week - ???
We've also heard a lot about Murren - it's very close to Lauterbrunnen, so I don't know if it would be worth doing as a second location for our last 1/2 week (FYI - my husband LOVES the mountain views, so similar isn't necessarily bad). Or Zermatt - I'd love to see the Matterhorn, but from my research it seems Zermatt has become just a Disney-esque tourist trap with the one big view.
The Montreux jazz fest is on when we first arrive, so if we went to Montreux first the city would be packed and extra-expensive (hotels are inflated at least 25% that week). We'd be only mildly interested in the festival stuff, so it's not worth the crowds and extra money for us.
Thoughts? Is our current plan a good one, or is there something we should change?
Thanks so much in advance!!
Switzerland itinerary help - 1 week Lauterbrunnen, 1 week ??
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 2 Dordogne and Paris - April/May 2013
- 3 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 4 9 days in turkey
- 5 Burg Eltz
- 6 Better to return car in Orvieto or airport Fiumicino (in Rome)
- 7 Germany-berlin marathon
- 8 Basque Spain to Lourdes to Carcassonne to Provence! 12 busy days solo
- 9 3 Week Trip to Italy and Paris - Suggestions
- 10 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 11 France Itinerary for 2 months: Please critique and advise!
- 12 My Italy Itinerary for July 2014
- 13 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 14 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 15 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 16 itinerary help
- 17 Trenitalia has just enabled bookings for summer 2014
- 18 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 19 Nice Video about Poland
- 20 fun4all4 Trip Report: Greece is Great!
- 21 Questions - Planning a Family Trip to Greece this summer
- 22 Reims for a day
- 23 5 days in Europe: Budapest/Berlin or Copenhagen/Talinn or something else?
- 24 Month Itinerary England, France, Germany, Italy does this work?
- 25 Swiss pass or Individual tickets?