My husband and I have a month (lucky us!!) to go to Europe this summer.
Our schedule is quite loose at the moment, but we do need to officially book our flights within the next couple of days (work reasons). We can fill in the details later, but we need a general game plan so we know where to fly out of to return home (we want to depart from a different city so we don't have to double back to where we've been).
So far, the plan is to fly in to Zurich and spend about a week and a half in Switzerland (my husband LOVED Lauterbrunnen when he backpacked Europe, so we'll likely be based out of there). We then want to go down through the north of Italy: we've both been to Rome, so we don't need to go that far south, but we'd like to see Venice before heading down to spend a week or so in Tuscany (Florence, then the countryside - we're wine fans!). Then it's over to (possibly) Monaco, Nice and Marseilles. We considered spending a week or so in that area on the French Riviera and then flying out of Marseilles, but thought we might prefer spending only a couple of days there and then heading north to the Rhone Valley (Burgundy, Beaujolais - as I said, we like wine), and then flying out of Lyon or Geneva. We don't want to go as far north as Paris this time - we'd rather enjoy a more relaxed pace.
So, to sum up:
ARRIVE - ZURICH
Week 1-2 - Switzerland, spend a week or so around Lauterbrunnen.
Week 2-3 - North of Italy and Tuscany
Week 3-4 - French Riviera? Monaco? Rhone Valley?
DEPART - ??? This is the big question: should we fly out of Marseilles, Lyon or Geneva?
(We live in Canada, so we can get a direct flight to Zurich, but there would be one transfer from any of the three options listed for the way home)
THANK YOU so much for your help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Brugge or Ghent?
- 2 Italy - Car Rental - CDW's and Insurance
- 3 Eastern Europe Summer 2017 Itinerary + Mykonos Break
- 4 One quick week -- where in France?
- 5 Traveling from Sicily, Italy to Greece
- 6 French lavender and cottages
- 7 Budapest on a budget
- 8 easy daytrip from Firenze (without car)
- 9 Major quake in central Itay
- 10 Which European country to visit in November? Spain/Italy/France?
- 11 Underground between kings Cross and Waterloo Main Line Station
- 12 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 13 Earthquake, so sad for Italy
- 14 suggestions needed: Seville--> Cadiz/Conil/...
- 15 The nieces take Bruce and Marija to Paris, Venice and London
- 16 Private Guide for Anhambra in Granada
- 17 First visit to France/Dordogne
- 18 Road trip from Rome to Orvieto and perugia
- 19 3 days with a Swindon base
- 20 Colosseum, roman forum and palatine ticket and tour
- 21 Bead Tours in Jablonec?
- 22 What Greek islands should I visit
- 23 baltic capitals
- 24 Puffins! No luck. So, where and when did you see them?
- 25 http://www.newhealthprograms.com/neuphoric-skin
Switzerland, Italy (not Rome) & France (not Paris) - where to depart from?