My husband and I have a month (lucky us!!) to go to Europe this summer.
Our schedule is quite loose at the moment, but we do need to officially book our flights within the next couple of days (work reasons). We can fill in the details later, but we need a general game plan so we know where to fly out of to return home (we want to depart from a different city so we don't have to double back to where we've been).
So far, the plan is to fly in to Zurich and spend about a week and a half in Switzerland (my husband LOVED Lauterbrunnen when he backpacked Europe, so we'll likely be based out of there). We then want to go down through the north of Italy: we've both been to Rome, so we don't need to go that far south, but we'd like to see Venice before heading down to spend a week or so in Tuscany (Florence, then the countryside - we're wine fans!). Then it's over to (possibly) Monaco, Nice and Marseilles. We considered spending a week or so in that area on the French Riviera and then flying out of Marseilles, but thought we might prefer spending only a couple of days there and then heading north to the Rhone Valley (Burgundy, Beaujolais - as I said, we like wine), and then flying out of Lyon or Geneva. We don't want to go as far north as Paris this time - we'd rather enjoy a more relaxed pace.
So, to sum up:
ARRIVE - ZURICH
Week 1-2 - Switzerland, spend a week or so around Lauterbrunnen.
Week 2-3 - North of Italy and Tuscany
Week 3-4 - French Riviera? Monaco? Rhone Valley?
DEPART - ??? This is the big question: should we fly out of Marseilles, Lyon or Geneva?
(We live in Canada, so we can get a direct flight to Zurich, but there would be one transfer from any of the three options listed for the way home)
THANK YOU so much for your help!!
Switzerland, Italy (not Rome) & France (not Paris) - where to depart from?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cylades Island Hopping
- 2 Looking for advice on Christmas Market trip (Germany)
- 3 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 4 Italy dolomites
- 5 FCO-area hotel advice, family of 4 with young children
- 6 South of Spain in late September - cities/areas?
- 7 Crete, Rhodes... or?
- 8 Romantic France/Italy Countryside tour/itinerary
- 9 2 weeks in Barcelona and Swiss Apls
- 10 8 days en route to Salzburg - help me plan my itinerary!
- 11 Last-minute detour to Paris: a 4-day live trip report
- 12 Connecting flights. Customs/Security.
- 13 Airport ATMs
- 14 All Set To Go!!
- 15 Help! Italy & France and Italy-Two Weeks?
- 16 Condor Long-Haul Business Class
- 17 history museums or locations
- 18 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 19 22 year olds in Europe
- 20 Where to get best blue trout in Bavaria?
- 21 Toulouse & Paris Day Trips
- 22 Good times in Munich, the city
- 23 Why don't the French use shower curtains
- 24 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 25 One week in Spain, late May