My husband and I have a month (lucky us!!) to go to Europe this summer.
Our schedule is quite loose at the moment, but we do need to officially book our flights within the next couple of days (work reasons). We can fill in the details later, but we need a general game plan so we know where to fly out of to return home (we want to depart from a different city so we don't have to double back to where we've been).
So far, the plan is to fly in to Zurich and spend about a week and a half in Switzerland (my husband LOVED Lauterbrunnen when he backpacked Europe, so we'll likely be based out of there). We then want to go down through the north of Italy: we've both been to Rome, so we don't need to go that far south, but we'd like to see Venice before heading down to spend a week or so in Tuscany (Florence, then the countryside - we're wine fans!). Then it's over to (possibly) Monaco, Nice and Marseilles. We considered spending a week or so in that area on the French Riviera and then flying out of Marseilles, but thought we might prefer spending only a couple of days there and then heading north to the Rhone Valley (Burgundy, Beaujolais - as I said, we like wine), and then flying out of Lyon or Geneva. We don't want to go as far north as Paris this time - we'd rather enjoy a more relaxed pace.
So, to sum up:
ARRIVE - ZURICH
Week 1-2 - Switzerland, spend a week or so around Lauterbrunnen.
Week 2-3 - North of Italy and Tuscany
Week 3-4 - French Riviera? Monaco? Rhone Valley?
DEPART - ??? This is the big question: should we fly out of Marseilles, Lyon or Geneva?
(We live in Canada, so we can get a direct flight to Zurich, but there would be one transfer from any of the three options listed for the way home)
THANK YOU so much for your help!!
Switzerland, Italy (not Rome) & France (not Paris) - where to depart from?
- 1 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 2 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 3 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 4 Euro Train
- 5 One more last question on Bayeux
- 6 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 7 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 8 Spain - Andalucia
- 9 Backpacking Europe beginners questions!
- 10 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 11 Revised itinerary needs approval
- 12 Turkey Experts: Need Itinerary help - mostly with order of trip
- 13 Trip around Spain
- 14 Crete - trip report - 3 weeks May 2013, a great and surprising trip!
- 15 Weekend in Lake Bled?
- 16 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 17 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 18 Travelling from Venice to the Cinque Terre towns.
- 19 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 20 My first visit to Ireland, next year.
- 21 Medieval Tallinn
- 22 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 23 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 24 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 25 20 day Backpacking Trip