My husband and I have a month (lucky us!!) to go to Europe this summer.
Our schedule is quite loose at the moment, but we do need to officially book our flights within the next couple of days (work reasons). We can fill in the details later, but we need a general game plan so we know where to fly out of to return home (we want to depart from a different city so we don't have to double back to where we've been).
So far, the plan is to fly in to Zurich and spend about a week and a half in Switzerland (my husband LOVED Lauterbrunnen when he backpacked Europe, so we'll likely be based out of there). We then want to go down through the north of Italy: we've both been to Rome, so we don't need to go that far south, but we'd like to see Venice before heading down to spend a week or so in Tuscany (Florence, then the countryside - we're wine fans!). Then it's over to (possibly) Monaco, Nice and Marseilles. We considered spending a week or so in that area on the French Riviera and then flying out of Marseilles, but thought we might prefer spending only a couple of days there and then heading north to the Rhone Valley (Burgundy, Beaujolais - as I said, we like wine), and then flying out of Lyon or Geneva. We don't want to go as far north as Paris this time - we'd rather enjoy a more relaxed pace.
So, to sum up:
ARRIVE - ZURICH
Week 1-2 - Switzerland, spend a week or so around Lauterbrunnen.
Week 2-3 - North of Italy and Tuscany
Week 3-4 - French Riviera? Monaco? Rhone Valley?
DEPART - ??? This is the big question: should we fly out of Marseilles, Lyon or Geneva?
(We live in Canada, so we can get a direct flight to Zurich, but there would be one transfer from any of the three options listed for the way home)
THANK YOU so much for your help!!
Switzerland, Italy (not Rome) & France (not Paris) - where to depart from?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 destination wedding
- 2 Help with Barcelona Plans Please!
- 3 A Win At the Arc and Discovering Lisbon
- 4 Buying handbags and shoes in Italy, how much should I budget?
- 5 Edinburgh for 7 days for 60+
- 6 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 7 Best French Onion Soup in Paris
- 8 Two weeks in Italy - Venice, Ostuni and Naples
- 9 Maitaitom & Tracy's Romantic 20th Anniversary Paris 2014 Trip In September
- 10 Bordeaux, Burgundy & Paris recommendations
- 11 London Private Detectives
- 12 2 Weeks in Italy in early October
- 13 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 14 Calling Jamikins
- 15 Help wanted for choosing apartment/hotel in Istanbul (early May 2014)
- 16 A drive in Europe
- 17 Eiffel Tower Replica - where to buy, or how to make?
- 18 Southern Spain wth family in 1 week by car
- 19 How to get from Greenwich to Victoria Station
- 20 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 21 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 22 Europe in 21 days
- 23 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 24 Phone for in-country calls in Greece
- 25 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary