My husband and I have a month (lucky us!!) to go to Europe this summer.
Our schedule is quite loose at the moment, but we do need to officially book our flights within the next couple of days (work reasons). We can fill in the details later, but we need a general game plan so we know where to fly out of to return home (we want to depart from a different city so we don't have to double back to where we've been).
So far, the plan is to fly in to Zurich and spend about a week and a half in Switzerland (my husband LOVED Lauterbrunnen when he backpacked Europe, so we'll likely be based out of there). We then want to go down through the north of Italy: we've both been to Rome, so we don't need to go that far south, but we'd like to see Venice before heading down to spend a week or so in Tuscany (Florence, then the countryside - we're wine fans!). Then it's over to (possibly) Monaco, Nice and Marseilles. We considered spending a week or so in that area on the French Riviera and then flying out of Marseilles, but thought we might prefer spending only a couple of days there and then heading north to the Rhone Valley (Burgundy, Beaujolais - as I said, we like wine), and then flying out of Lyon or Geneva. We don't want to go as far north as Paris this time - we'd rather enjoy a more relaxed pace.
So, to sum up:
ARRIVE - ZURICH
Week 1-2 - Switzerland, spend a week or so around Lauterbrunnen.
Week 2-3 - North of Italy and Tuscany
Week 3-4 - French Riviera? Monaco? Rhone Valley?
DEPART - ??? This is the big question: should we fly out of Marseilles, Lyon or Geneva?
(We live in Canada, so we can get a direct flight to Zurich, but there would be one transfer from any of the three options listed for the way home)
THANK YOU so much for your help!!
Switzerland, Italy (not Rome) & France (not Paris) - where to depart from?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 I Go to Pieces — An Italy Trip Report
- 2 London visit
- 3 Need help with Europe Itinerary
- 4 Driving to Paris... Parking?
- 5 Advice Train from Berlin to Prague
- 6 Who has stayed at a Citadines Paris property?
- 7 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 8 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 9 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 10 Oh to be in England now that Spring is there - a walk in the Dales
- 11 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 12 Tram 28 safe to travel with kids?
- 13 How to get from Charles de Gaulle Airport to Gare du Nord?
- 14 Almost 3 weeks in Sicily in March
- 15 How much will a budget to Europe be for 2 months?
- 16 Portugal with a 3 year old and 1 year old
- 17 Our Silver Lining Tour: A German Journey & Queen's Day Too
- 18 A Good Base on Mallorca
- 19 Greece trip report - winter in the center - Epirus, Pelion etc
- 20 Connecting with forum locals in Paris
- 21 Best way from Sevila's Airport to Hotel Alphonso X111 ???
- 22 Venice canal boats--best deals?
- 23 Budget for 3 Month's
- 24 Suggestions for Santorini itinerary, need change??
- 25 Upcoming Spain itinerary-eyeballs please!