My husband and I have a month (lucky us!!) to go to Europe this summer.
Our schedule is quite loose at the moment, but we do need to officially book our flights within the next couple of days (work reasons). We can fill in the details later, but we need a general game plan so we know where to fly out of to return home (we want to depart from a different city so we don't have to double back to where we've been).
So far, the plan is to fly in to Zurich and spend about a week and a half in Switzerland (my husband LOVED Lauterbrunnen when he backpacked Europe, so we'll likely be based out of there). We then want to go down through the north of Italy: we've both been to Rome, so we don't need to go that far south, but we'd like to see Venice before heading down to spend a week or so in Tuscany (Florence, then the countryside - we're wine fans!). Then it's over to (possibly) Monaco, Nice and Marseilles. We considered spending a week or so in that area on the French Riviera and then flying out of Marseilles, but thought we might prefer spending only a couple of days there and then heading north to the Rhone Valley (Burgundy, Beaujolais - as I said, we like wine), and then flying out of Lyon or Geneva. We don't want to go as far north as Paris this time - we'd rather enjoy a more relaxed pace.
So, to sum up:
ARRIVE - ZURICH
Week 1-2 - Switzerland, spend a week or so around Lauterbrunnen.
Week 2-3 - North of Italy and Tuscany
Week 3-4 - French Riviera? Monaco? Rhone Valley?
DEPART - ??? This is the big question: should we fly out of Marseilles, Lyon or Geneva?
(We live in Canada, so we can get a direct flight to Zurich, but there would be one transfer from any of the three options listed for the way home)
THANK YOU so much for your help!!
Switzerland, Italy (not Rome) & France (not Paris) - where to depart from?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 22 days in Amsterdam, Germany, Austria and Switzerland
- 2 Potential return trip to Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 3 Trip Report: Sheep Rule. A Week in Scotland
- 4 Heading off to our 18day Eurotrip soon - 3000€ for 2 people? Enough?
- 5 Umbria - planning for 3 or 4 days in April
- 6 Euro Travel Quiz - Places Reeking of History
- 7 michele_d or other visa-free ferry experts
- 8 Sixt Car Rental? Good/Bad? Any reviews/experiences?
- 9 Provence or Provence and Dorgogna
- 10 Itinerary help
- 11 one-month itinerary -- what am I missing?
- 12 How to order free Lebara SIM card from the U.S.?
- 13 Things to do in/around Milan
- 14 Grindelwald vs Lauterbrunnen vs Wengen on November
- 15 South of Switzerland
- 16 Looking for nice regions with good public transport
- 17 St. John's Navalis feast/festival in Prague
- 18 Cell Coverage in Dordogne & Lot
- 19 Spanish Music
- 20 Now for the Venice hotel
- 21 Bernese Oberland or Engadin
- 22 Itinerary for Spain
- 23 I finally have my Scotland trip all booked.
- 24 DEAUVILLE or HONFLEUR for overnight stay?
- 25 Vienna to Padua Questions