My husband and I have a month (lucky us!!) to go to Europe this summer.
Our schedule is quite loose at the moment, but we do need to officially book our flights within the next couple of days (work reasons). We can fill in the details later, but we need a general game plan so we know where to fly out of to return home (we want to depart from a different city so we don't have to double back to where we've been).
So far, the plan is to fly in to Zurich and spend about a week and a half in Switzerland (my husband LOVED Lauterbrunnen when he backpacked Europe, so we'll likely be based out of there). We then want to go down through the north of Italy: we've both been to Rome, so we don't need to go that far south, but we'd like to see Venice before heading down to spend a week or so in Tuscany (Florence, then the countryside - we're wine fans!). Then it's over to (possibly) Monaco, Nice and Marseilles. We considered spending a week or so in that area on the French Riviera and then flying out of Marseilles, but thought we might prefer spending only a couple of days there and then heading north to the Rhone Valley (Burgundy, Beaujolais - as I said, we like wine), and then flying out of Lyon or Geneva. We don't want to go as far north as Paris this time - we'd rather enjoy a more relaxed pace.
So, to sum up:
ARRIVE - ZURICH
Week 1-2 - Switzerland, spend a week or so around Lauterbrunnen.
Week 2-3 - North of Italy and Tuscany
Week 3-4 - French Riviera? Monaco? Rhone Valley?
DEPART - ??? This is the big question: should we fly out of Marseilles, Lyon or Geneva?
(We live in Canada, so we can get a direct flight to Zurich, but there would be one transfer from any of the three options listed for the way home)
THANK YOU so much for your help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Luggage allowance internal connection to international
- 2 Italy - rental car damages query
- 3 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 4 Planning 20th anniversary 1st trip to Italy Feb 2017.
- 5 8 days Skiing, City and Christmas Markets in Central Europe in late Nov
- 6 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 7 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 8 CDG much improved
- 9 European Cooking Secrets
- 10 Where to stay in Paris? So many options!
- 11 Early Spring Air Sales To Europe
- 12 London's Must Sights!
- 13 How busy are the Rhine & Mosel River Valleys in early May?
- 14 Venice & Bellagio Trip Report
- 15 20 Days in Europe
- 16 Suggestions for Drive to Milan
- 17 Just booked flight 11 nt trip to Italy, into Pisa, out from Milan
- 18 Will this be a problem??? - connecting flights and different airlines
- 19 TGV from Paris to Vienna?
- 20 Trip Report: Krakow and Warsaw
- 21 Help plan trip to Coppenhagen and Stockholm
- 22 Help deciding on how to tour England/Ireland/Scotland
- 23 Do We Need A Guide to do the Ring Road?
- 24 Europe in late January
- 25 Spain for 2 weeks in April but what parts?
Switzerland, Italy (not Rome) & France (not Paris) - where to depart from?