My husband and I have a month (lucky us!!) to go to Europe this summer.
Our schedule is quite loose at the moment, but we do need to officially book our flights within the next couple of days (work reasons). We can fill in the details later, but we need a general game plan so we know where to fly out of to return home (we want to depart from a different city so we don't have to double back to where we've been).
So far, the plan is to fly in to Zurich and spend about a week and a half in Switzerland (my husband LOVED Lauterbrunnen when he backpacked Europe, so we'll likely be based out of there). We then want to go down through the north of Italy: we've both been to Rome, so we don't need to go that far south, but we'd like to see Venice before heading down to spend a week or so in Tuscany (Florence, then the countryside - we're wine fans!). Then it's over to (possibly) Monaco, Nice and Marseilles. We considered spending a week or so in that area on the French Riviera and then flying out of Marseilles, but thought we might prefer spending only a couple of days there and then heading north to the Rhone Valley (Burgundy, Beaujolais - as I said, we like wine), and then flying out of Lyon or Geneva. We don't want to go as far north as Paris this time - we'd rather enjoy a more relaxed pace.
So, to sum up:
ARRIVE - ZURICH
Week 1-2 - Switzerland, spend a week or so around Lauterbrunnen.
Week 2-3 - North of Italy and Tuscany
Week 3-4 - French Riviera? Monaco? Rhone Valley?
DEPART - ??? This is the big question: should we fly out of Marseilles, Lyon or Geneva?
(We live in Canada, so we can get a direct flight to Zurich, but there would be one transfer from any of the three options listed for the way home)
THANK YOU so much for your help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lunch near Amboise, Loire Valley
- 2 Paris Oct 31-Nov 4
- 3 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 4 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 5 Apartment Montreux area
- 6 3 days in Spain - help where?!
- 7 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 8 Trains in Italy
- 9 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 10 Car service from Vienna Airport
- 11 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 12 An evening in London
- 13 Restaurants in Rome near Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain
- 14 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 15 Wine Shipping from Puglia
- 16 Trip For Physical, Intellectual, Emotional Exercize
- 17 8 in Rome or Rome + Amalfi in June
- 18 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 19 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 20 Rome or Venice first
- 21 Europe First Timers
- 22 Paris GTG October 6 - 14?
- 23 Safety in Rome
- 24 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 25 Seeking reasonable itinerary
Switzerland, Italy (not Rome) & France (not Paris) - where to depart from?