My husband and I have a month (lucky us!!) to go to Europe this summer.
Our schedule is quite loose at the moment, but we do need to officially book our flights within the next couple of days (work reasons). We can fill in the details later, but we need a general game plan so we know where to fly out of to return home (we want to depart from a different city so we don't have to double back to where we've been).
So far, the plan is to fly in to Zurich and spend about a week and a half in Switzerland (my husband LOVED Lauterbrunnen when he backpacked Europe, so we'll likely be based out of there). We then want to go down through the north of Italy: we've both been to Rome, so we don't need to go that far south, but we'd like to see Venice before heading down to spend a week or so in Tuscany (Florence, then the countryside - we're wine fans!). Then it's over to (possibly) Monaco, Nice and Marseilles. We considered spending a week or so in that area on the French Riviera and then flying out of Marseilles, but thought we might prefer spending only a couple of days there and then heading north to the Rhone Valley (Burgundy, Beaujolais - as I said, we like wine), and then flying out of Lyon or Geneva. We don't want to go as far north as Paris this time - we'd rather enjoy a more relaxed pace.
So, to sum up:
ARRIVE - ZURICH
Week 1-2 - Switzerland, spend a week or so around Lauterbrunnen.
Week 2-3 - North of Italy and Tuscany
Week 3-4 - French Riviera? Monaco? Rhone Valley?
DEPART - ??? This is the big question: should we fly out of Marseilles, Lyon or Geneva?
(We live in Canada, so we can get a direct flight to Zurich, but there would be one transfer from any of the three options listed for the way home)
THANK YOU so much for your help!!
Switzerland, Italy (not Rome) & France (not Paris) - where to depart from?
- 1 Irish Pub Arrival Time ?
- 2 Venice - another trip report (deja vu all over again)
- 3 Venice - Verona - Padova - Vienna Trip Report
- 4 Help with Provence and French Riviera
- 5 Germany and Italy
- 6 private tour from cruise port in Naples
- 7 day trips from Stuttgart
- 8 Hotels in Sorrento
- 9 Just Returned from a Gate 1 Danube River Cruise
- 10 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 11 Bathrooms Along This Itinerary (Day in Rome)
- 12 two weeks in Croatia Bosnia and Montenegro
- 13 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 14 Airport shuttle from CDG to Paris
- 15 Need a focus/theme for trip
- 16 Must-do Day Trips from London
- 17 EU Rule On Olive Oil Roils Europe!
- 18 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 19 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 20 May 24, 2013. How to avoid lines in Paris, and other observations
- 21 Limo companies in Madrid?
- 22 Limo service from Madrid Barajas Airport
- 23 What is the best food in France?
- 24 Northern Italy second week of June 2013
- 25 Best area for wine and which one?