My husband and I have a month (lucky us!!) to go to Europe this summer.
Our schedule is quite loose at the moment, but we do need to officially book our flights within the next couple of days (work reasons). We can fill in the details later, but we need a general game plan so we know where to fly out of to return home (we want to depart from a different city so we don't have to double back to where we've been).
So far, the plan is to fly in to Zurich and spend about a week and a half in Switzerland (my husband LOVED Lauterbrunnen when he backpacked Europe, so we'll likely be based out of there). We then want to go down through the north of Italy: we've both been to Rome, so we don't need to go that far south, but we'd like to see Venice before heading down to spend a week or so in Tuscany (Florence, then the countryside - we're wine fans!). Then it's over to (possibly) Monaco, Nice and Marseilles. We considered spending a week or so in that area on the French Riviera and then flying out of Marseilles, but thought we might prefer spending only a couple of days there and then heading north to the Rhone Valley (Burgundy, Beaujolais - as I said, we like wine), and then flying out of Lyon or Geneva. We don't want to go as far north as Paris this time - we'd rather enjoy a more relaxed pace.
So, to sum up:
ARRIVE - ZURICH
Week 1-2 - Switzerland, spend a week or so around Lauterbrunnen.
Week 2-3 - North of Italy and Tuscany
Week 3-4 - French Riviera? Monaco? Rhone Valley?
DEPART - ??? This is the big question: should we fly out of Marseilles, Lyon or Geneva?
(We live in Canada, so we can get a direct flight to Zurich, but there would be one transfer from any of the three options listed for the way home)
THANK YOU so much for your help!!
Switzerland, Italy (not Rome) & France (not Paris) - where to depart from?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Two Week Big Fat Family Vacation to Greece
- 2 On the road again - another country roads tour of France.
- 3 England, Scotland, Ireland, and France... Where do I start?! (three weeks)
- 4 Florence/Tuscany and Rome - help with details!!
- 5 Itinerey help for 4 weeks trip to Germany for July of 2015
- 6 Impressions of Bad Tolz?
- 7 Food in Paris-Dining out
- 8 month's stay in Italy
- 9 specific question about my possible trip to europe with Schengen law
- 10 10 days in England
- 11 Spain to France Itenerary Question: Plane or Train
- 12 Favorite Views of Paris?
- 13 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 14 Need Help For August Spain Itinerary (10 days)
- 15 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 16 Help with trip to St Petersburg
- 17 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 18 Safe to use hotel room safe?
- 19 10 days switzerland trip itenary..
- 20 5 days France Itinerary
- 21 Is May Day a big deal in Barcelona?
- 22 Food Critics Pans French Restaurant Food and the 'Fait Maison' Logo...
- 23 Planning to visit Barcelona and Santander in the fall next year
- 24 Advice and suggestions welcome for 2 month trip
- 25 to take cash from USA or from ATMs in France?