My husband and I have a month (lucky us!!) to go to Europe this summer.
Our schedule is quite loose at the moment, but we do need to officially book our flights within the next couple of days (work reasons). We can fill in the details later, but we need a general game plan so we know where to fly out of to return home (we want to depart from a different city so we don't have to double back to where we've been).
So far, the plan is to fly in to Zurich and spend about a week and a half in Switzerland (my husband LOVED Lauterbrunnen when he backpacked Europe, so we'll likely be based out of there). We then want to go down through the north of Italy: we've both been to Rome, so we don't need to go that far south, but we'd like to see Venice before heading down to spend a week or so in Tuscany (Florence, then the countryside - we're wine fans!). Then it's over to (possibly) Monaco, Nice and Marseilles. We considered spending a week or so in that area on the French Riviera and then flying out of Marseilles, but thought we might prefer spending only a couple of days there and then heading north to the Rhone Valley (Burgundy, Beaujolais - as I said, we like wine), and then flying out of Lyon or Geneva. We don't want to go as far north as Paris this time - we'd rather enjoy a more relaxed pace.
So, to sum up:
ARRIVE - ZURICH
Week 1-2 - Switzerland, spend a week or so around Lauterbrunnen.
Week 2-3 - North of Italy and Tuscany
Week 3-4 - French Riviera? Monaco? Rhone Valley?
DEPART - ??? This is the big question: should we fly out of Marseilles, Lyon or Geneva?
(We live in Canada, so we can get a direct flight to Zurich, but there would be one transfer from any of the three options listed for the way home)
THANK YOU so much for your help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tarbet scotland
- 2 Amsterdam - My Favorite Things!
- 3 April 8 - 16, 1 country, 1 male, the best choice?
- 4 Breakfast: London
- 5 Most memorable European moments
- 6 Airtrain from Zurich to Basel info needed
- 7 Travel plan help in Germany
- 8 Transfer in CDG - claim our baggage & do passport control??
- 9 Suggested Itinerary Low Countries, Scotland, Enfland Lake district
- 10 Itinerary Suggestions Between Bilbao and Amsterdam
- 11 Paris Side Trip: Mont St Michel & Cancale
- 12 Where in Europe for 15 full days from 21 Oct to 6 Nov 2016?
- 13 Rome For 2 days
- 14 where to buy basic toiletries in Lisbon?
- 15 Europe Itinerary
- 16 Non-alcoholic drinks to try in Andalusia
- 17 Camino Redux
- 18 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 19 Tipping in different situations in Spain
- 20 5 Irish in Amsterdam, Dresden, Berlin
- 21 Suggestions of Paris things to do Christmas and New Years?
- 22 Montpellier to Arles
- 23 Rhine River
- 24 Is it safe to take train from CDG by 10 PM?
- 25 Oh no, not another grammar lesson! Learning italian in Venice - a TR.
Switzerland, Italy (not Rome) & France (not Paris) - where to depart from?