My husband and I have a month (lucky us!!) to go to Europe this summer.
Our schedule is quite loose at the moment, but we do need to officially book our flights within the next couple of days (work reasons). We can fill in the details later, but we need a general game plan so we know where to fly out of to return home (we want to depart from a different city so we don't have to double back to where we've been).
So far, the plan is to fly in to Zurich and spend about a week and a half in Switzerland (my husband LOVED Lauterbrunnen when he backpacked Europe, so we'll likely be based out of there). We then want to go down through the north of Italy: we've both been to Rome, so we don't need to go that far south, but we'd like to see Venice before heading down to spend a week or so in Tuscany (Florence, then the countryside - we're wine fans!). Then it's over to (possibly) Monaco, Nice and Marseilles. We considered spending a week or so in that area on the French Riviera and then flying out of Marseilles, but thought we might prefer spending only a couple of days there and then heading north to the Rhone Valley (Burgundy, Beaujolais - as I said, we like wine), and then flying out of Lyon or Geneva. We don't want to go as far north as Paris this time - we'd rather enjoy a more relaxed pace.
So, to sum up:
ARRIVE - ZURICH
Week 1-2 - Switzerland, spend a week or so around Lauterbrunnen.
Week 2-3 - North of Italy and Tuscany
Week 3-4 - French Riviera? Monaco? Rhone Valley?
DEPART - ??? This is the big question: should we fly out of Marseilles, Lyon or Geneva?
(We live in Canada, so we can get a direct flight to Zurich, but there would be one transfer from any of the three options listed for the way home)
THANK YOU so much for your help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London is it worth it?
- 2 Driving Bruges to Paris. Is it worth the drive?
- 3 transportation from De Gaulle airport
- 4 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 5 Croatia, Montenegro, Slovenia Itinerary July
- 6 ATM help
- 7 Stockholm 5.5 days
- 8 Best Masseria in Puglia
- 9 Visit to Sardinia
- 10 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 11 Car Rentals in Ireland
- 12 Our recent CDG experience (Delta)
- 13 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 14 Advice on 1 day trip to Black Forest
- 15 8-days in Greece, Rhodes or Crete?
- 16 6 days in Stockholm - itinerary, questions
- 17 Help me make this possible!
- 18 Croatia Intinerary August 2017
- 19 Road Trip - Ireland, Scotland and England
- 20 International drivers permit
- 21 Paris Restaurants esp in Marais
- 22 Help with Scotland Itinerary
- 23 First visit to London
- 24 Train from Paris to Reims for day trip
- 25 ATM
Switzerland, Italy (not Rome) & France (not Paris) - where to depart from?