My husband and I have a month (lucky us!!) to go to Europe this summer.
Our schedule is quite loose at the moment, but we do need to officially book our flights within the next couple of days (work reasons). We can fill in the details later, but we need a general game plan so we know where to fly out of to return home (we want to depart from a different city so we don't have to double back to where we've been).
So far, the plan is to fly in to Zurich and spend about a week and a half in Switzerland (my husband LOVED Lauterbrunnen when he backpacked Europe, so we'll likely be based out of there). We then want to go down through the north of Italy: we've both been to Rome, so we don't need to go that far south, but we'd like to see Venice before heading down to spend a week or so in Tuscany (Florence, then the countryside - we're wine fans!). Then it's over to (possibly) Monaco, Nice and Marseilles. We considered spending a week or so in that area on the French Riviera and then flying out of Marseilles, but thought we might prefer spending only a couple of days there and then heading north to the Rhone Valley (Burgundy, Beaujolais - as I said, we like wine), and then flying out of Lyon or Geneva. We don't want to go as far north as Paris this time - we'd rather enjoy a more relaxed pace.
So, to sum up:
ARRIVE - ZURICH
Week 1-2 - Switzerland, spend a week or so around Lauterbrunnen.
Week 2-3 - North of Italy and Tuscany
Week 3-4 - French Riviera? Monaco? Rhone Valley?
DEPART - ??? This is the big question: should we fly out of Marseilles, Lyon or Geneva?
(We live in Canada, so we can get a direct flight to Zurich, but there would be one transfer from any of the three options listed for the way home)
THANK YOU so much for your help!!
Switzerland, Italy (not Rome) & France (not Paris) - where to depart from?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip report of our visit to Rioja
- 2 Christmas windows in Paris
- 3 Hotels in Amsterdam and Paris @ less than 150 euros per night
- 4 Visiting UK boyfriend
- 5 Itinerary concerns, please help
- 6 Internet or travel agent?
- 7 Please help with Sicily Itinerary!
- 8 Is seventeen too young to travel to Europe?
- 9 Munich - vacation apartment rental, week after Christmas
- 10 Autumn in Paris
- 11 Venice to ban wheeled suitcases
- 12 How long to allow for layover at CDG going from MRS to ATL
- 13 Blissful Airbnbs,Risky Segways,Vegan Tapas: Prague-Hvar-Andalucía-Madrid
- 14 Visiting Europe in April 2015
- 15 Paris and where else?
- 16 Raining in rome
- 17 Wheelie Suitcases Ban
- 18 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 19 Bodrum to Rhodes ferry or hydrofoil schedule
- 20 Italian Lakes
- 21 Garmisch Partenkirchen Christmas packing list
- 22 Christmas Day in Scuol
- 23 ENGLAND NOV 5 - 16 2014
- 24 Help With Vienna
- 25 What's the most economical way to see Dublin and London?