My DH has skied Zermatt several times and loved the area during winter. However, he's now keen to go back during the early fall for some hiking and potentially cycling.
I would assume a 14 day trip with 12 on the ground. I've been to Zurich already so am thinking that we fly in and out of Geneva, spend a 3-4 days there in and around Montreux and then then go to Zermatt for 5 nights before heading back and flying home from Geneva. That will leave 2-3 nights to spend somewhere again between Zermatt and Geneva. (ideas welcome) assuming we would spend the last night near the airport in Geneva.
Is this a reasonable plan? Is the weather in September decent for hiking around Zermatt (I tend to love September trips as the tourists with children are back in school, its harvest season, etc).
We do not like moving about too much and try to spend at least 3-4 nights in any one city or area; previous trips have taken us to Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium Italy, Czech Republic, etc. We did a two week tour of Northern Italy in 2007 and have toured the lakes and Piedmonte region so crossing into Italy wouldn't be a big draw.
Budget is around 200-250USD/night for two in hotels; will use miles to fly roundtrip.
Many thanks for your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help with my southern Spain itinerary please!
- 2 help deciding between 2 itineraries!
- 3 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 4 Ideas for 10 nights in France for 1st timer
- 5 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 6 Italy - 21 Day Itinerary for May, 2018
- 7 Tour Company reviews - European Graduation Trip
- 8 Strasbourg! What to do, what to visit??
- 9 Assist Please: A'dam/Cologne/Mosel Valley/Aachen
- 10 train from Bucharest to Brasov
- 11 First trip to the UK, please help me
- 12 Salamanca Spain - stay in town or nearby?
- 13 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 14 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 15 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 16 Nice/Monaco Train Question
- 17 Individual train tickets instead of passes
- 18 London: Big Ben- Last Call for 4 Years...
- 19 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 20 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 21 base for Andalucia
- 22 Coastal Denmark
- 23 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 24 How to leave Slovenia for US?
- 25 What to wear visiting England and France during winter?