My DH has skied Zermatt several times and loved the area during winter. However, he's now keen to go back during the early fall for some hiking and potentially cycling.
I would assume a 14 day trip with 12 on the ground. I've been to Zurich already so am thinking that we fly in and out of Geneva, spend a 3-4 days there in and around Montreux and then then go to Zermatt for 5 nights before heading back and flying home from Geneva. That will leave 2-3 nights to spend somewhere again between Zermatt and Geneva. (ideas welcome) assuming we would spend the last night near the airport in Geneva.
Is this a reasonable plan? Is the weather in September decent for hiking around Zermatt (I tend to love September trips as the tourists with children are back in school, its harvest season, etc).
We do not like moving about too much and try to spend at least 3-4 nights in any one city or area; previous trips have taken us to Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium Italy, Czech Republic, etc. We did a two week tour of Northern Italy in 2007 and have toured the lakes and Piedmonte region so crossing into Italy wouldn't be a big draw.
Budget is around 200-250USD/night for two in hotels; will use miles to fly roundtrip.
Many thanks for your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 2 Barcelona alternative
- 3 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 4 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 5 9-10 days beginning with Barcelona Marathon - what to do after?
- 6 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 7 travel to prague, vienna and munich
- 8 God Save the Queen?
- 9 Spanish Medical Providers
- 10 Trip Report: Scotland, Vienna, Prague, and Berlin (May/June 2017)
- 11 Italy Car Scam
- 12 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 13 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 14 Iceland early december visit
- 15 Paris to Italy
- 16 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 17 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes
- 18 8 Days in Spain
- 19 9 Days in Spain
- 20 Christmas in Dresden 2017
- 21 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 22 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 23 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 24 Milan or Turin
- 25 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice