My DH has skied Zermatt several times and loved the area during winter. However, he's now keen to go back during the early fall for some hiking and potentially cycling.
I would assume a 14 day trip with 12 on the ground. I've been to Zurich already so am thinking that we fly in and out of Geneva, spend a 3-4 days there in and around Montreux and then then go to Zermatt for 5 nights before heading back and flying home from Geneva. That will leave 2-3 nights to spend somewhere again between Zermatt and Geneva. (ideas welcome) assuming we would spend the last night near the airport in Geneva.
Is this a reasonable plan? Is the weather in September decent for hiking around Zermatt (I tend to love September trips as the tourists with children are back in school, its harvest season, etc).
We do not like moving about too much and try to spend at least 3-4 nights in any one city or area; previous trips have taken us to Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium Italy, Czech Republic, etc. We did a two week tour of Northern Italy in 2007 and have toured the lakes and Piedmonte region so crossing into Italy wouldn't be a big draw.
Budget is around 200-250USD/night for two in hotels; will use miles to fly roundtrip.
Many thanks for your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Porto and vicinity
- 2 Best way from London to Gatwick these days?
- 3 Norway fjord
- 4 Ireland road trip in June: Where to stop?
- 5 Need help completing my itinerary. So Much to see!
- 6 7 days in Greece
- 7 Italy
- 8 Major Ed van der Elsken show in Stedelijk Museum
- 9 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 10 16-17 days in Western Europe
- 11 Navigating England's Coast to Coast walk
- 12 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 13 Amsterdam Trip Report
- 14 Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
- 15 Tuscan Country Side v Florence apartments with Child
- 16 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 17 Praiana to Positano
- 18 Layover, not get on connecting flight
- 19 yk's 12 days in Spain by herself Trip Report
- 20 Another Book List for Italy
- 21 8-9 day Paris-Amsterdam-Rome
- 22 Paris or Edinburgh - 3 days which to choose?
- 23 18-19 day Budapest -Croatia itinerary
- 24 3 weeks in Italy and France with 2 kids.
- 25 Itinerary Help for Portugal