My DH has skied Zermatt several times and loved the area during winter. However, he's now keen to go back during the early fall for some hiking and potentially cycling.
I would assume a 14 day trip with 12 on the ground. I've been to Zurich already so am thinking that we fly in and out of Geneva, spend a 3-4 days there in and around Montreux and then then go to Zermatt for 5 nights before heading back and flying home from Geneva. That will leave 2-3 nights to spend somewhere again between Zermatt and Geneva. (ideas welcome) assuming we would spend the last night near the airport in Geneva.
Is this a reasonable plan? Is the weather in September decent for hiking around Zermatt (I tend to love September trips as the tourists with children are back in school, its harvest season, etc).
We do not like moving about too much and try to spend at least 3-4 nights in any one city or area; previous trips have taken us to Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium Italy, Czech Republic, etc. We did a two week tour of Northern Italy in 2007 and have toured the lakes and Piedmonte region so crossing into Italy wouldn't be a big draw.
Budget is around 200-250USD/night for two in hotels; will use miles to fly roundtrip.
Many thanks for your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 BELLSOUTH@ Password Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Tec*h cAre 24/7
- 2 Day Trips from Zug in Switzerland
- 3 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 4 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 5 Best walking route Plitvice Lakes
- 6 London with Teens Trip Report
- 7 Bregenzer Festspiele: the opera Carmen
- 8 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 9 Sitting at a cafe watching the world go by - hmmm...
- 10 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 11 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 12 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 13 Trains from Istanbul to Budapest
- 14 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 15 Madrird and Seville
- 16 Greece
- 17 Ludwig Castles
- 18 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 19 FYI, Bourdain in Porto, this Sunday (July 2)
- 20 Lake Como AREA questions
- 21 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 22 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 23 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 24 David's Abbreviated Iceland Trip Report
- 25 Help on ancient history route