I've been reading your Europe forums the past few months and am now ready to ask for your opinions on our itinerary to Switzerland and Italy this fall.
Our Daughter will be studying abroad in Lausanne. We are planning the trip to see her for a day or two at the beginning and end of our three weeks. We have RT flights SFO-GVA set.
We plan to use trains only- no car rentals.
Here is our tentative itinerary:
Arrive Lausanne, 3 nights
take Golden Pass Montreux-Interlakken, stay Lauterbrunnen 3 nights
train to Spiez, 1 night
train Spiez-Milan, fast train Milan-Venice, stay 3 nights
fast train to Florence, stay 4 nights
train to Cinque Terre area, 2 nights
train to Como or Maggiore, 2 nights
train to Lausanne, 2 nights
stay in Geneva last night, to catch flight to SFO
So a total of 21 nights.
is this too ambitious? If I dropped anything it would probably be CT. Husband really wants to see Como area. We are late 50's, like to walk and see sights, art, museums, history, enjoy the outdoors but are just as happy exploring cities.
My other question is regarding train passes. Probably some Swiss Pass, but maybe just point to point in Italy?
Thank You for your thoughts!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 2 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 3 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 4 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 5 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 6 Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Praiano
- 7 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 8 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
- 9 OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!
- 10 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 11 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 12 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 13 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 14 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 15 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 16 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 17 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 18 Paging @bobthenavigator and others for Amalfi Coast accommodation advice
- 19 Bruges
- 20 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 21 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 22 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 23 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 24 6 months in Europe itinerary-Countries
- 25 Planning A trip