I've been reading your Europe forums the past few months and am now ready to ask for your opinions on our itinerary to Switzerland and Italy this fall.
Our Daughter will be studying abroad in Lausanne. We are planning the trip to see her for a day or two at the beginning and end of our three weeks. We have RT flights SFO-GVA set.
We plan to use trains only- no car rentals.
Here is our tentative itinerary:
Arrive Lausanne, 3 nights
take Golden Pass Montreux-Interlakken, stay Lauterbrunnen 3 nights
train to Spiez, 1 night
train Spiez-Milan, fast train Milan-Venice, stay 3 nights
fast train to Florence, stay 4 nights
train to Cinque Terre area, 2 nights
train to Como or Maggiore, 2 nights
train to Lausanne, 2 nights
stay in Geneva last night, to catch flight to SFO
So a total of 21 nights.
is this too ambitious? If I dropped anything it would probably be CT. Husband really wants to see Como area. We are late 50's, like to walk and see sights, art, museums, history, enjoy the outdoors but are just as happy exploring cities.
My other question is regarding train passes. Probably some Swiss Pass, but maybe just point to point in Italy?
Thank You for your thoughts!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris and Normandy
- 2 rent muscle car in Norway
- 3 Early morning flight Venice/VCE
- 4 2-3 week Europe itinerary - help!
- 5 How do I private message a person?
- 6 Austria + Italy 10 Days places to visit in July
- 7 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 8 Help with Scotland Itinerary
- 9 Burgundy and Lyon
- 10 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #173
- 11 Hotel or aparthotel recommendations in Lyon?
- 12 Could you recommend a city tour in Reykjavík?
- 13 best boucherons in Lyon?
- 14 Switzerland 7 days from Zurich
- 15 Visiting Lyon
- 16 Europe in 2 weeks on budget
- 17 Restaurant suggestions in Lyon France? Overwhelmed!
- 18 sommerrodelbahn (luge, bobsled, toboggan, alpine coaster) near Salzburg?
- 19 Athens International Airport customs and baggage reclaim
- 20 Very British Neighborhood in London
- 21 FIndng Vintage French Workwear in Paris
- 22 Need help with 3 days in Salzburg area
- 23 weekend trip lodging
- 24 Agriturismo with train access to Florence
- 25 Road Trip - Ireland, Scotland and England