I've been reading your Europe forums the past few months and am now ready to ask for your opinions on our itinerary to Switzerland and Italy this fall.
Our Daughter will be studying abroad in Lausanne. We are planning the trip to see her for a day or two at the beginning and end of our three weeks. We have RT flights SFO-GVA set.
We plan to use trains only- no car rentals.
Here is our tentative itinerary:
Arrive Lausanne, 3 nights
take Golden Pass Montreux-Interlakken, stay Lauterbrunnen 3 nights
train to Spiez, 1 night
train Spiez-Milan, fast train Milan-Venice, stay 3 nights
fast train to Florence, stay 4 nights
train to Cinque Terre area, 2 nights
train to Como or Maggiore, 2 nights
train to Lausanne, 2 nights
stay in Geneva last night, to catch flight to SFO
So a total of 21 nights.
is this too ambitious? If I dropped anything it would probably be CT. Husband really wants to see Como area. We are late 50's, like to walk and see sights, art, museums, history, enjoy the outdoors but are just as happy exploring cities.
My other question is regarding train passes. Probably some Swiss Pass, but maybe just point to point in Italy?
Thank You for your thoughts!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Madrid and Granada in Jan
- 2 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 3 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 4 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 5 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 6 Travel options from Budapest to Zagreb
- 7 Another tipping question: concierges
- 8 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 9 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 10 Ferry - Dubrovnik to Bari - Cabins
- 11 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 12 We're here!
- 13 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 14 Trip Ideas
- 15 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 16 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 17 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 18 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 19 SOUTH OF FRANCE / ITALY ITINERARY SUGGESTIONS
- 20 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 21 Malaga City Center Hotels
- 22 Is Eiffel tower closed from 25-31 Dec?
- 23 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 24 Acropolis Athens
- 25 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents