I've been reading your Europe forums the past few months and am now ready to ask for your opinions on our itinerary to Switzerland and Italy this fall.
Our Daughter will be studying abroad in Lausanne. We are planning the trip to see her for a day or two at the beginning and end of our three weeks. We have RT flights SFO-GVA set.
We plan to use trains only- no car rentals.
Here is our tentative itinerary:
Arrive Lausanne, 3 nights
take Golden Pass Montreux-Interlakken, stay Lauterbrunnen 3 nights
train to Spiez, 1 night
train Spiez-Milan, fast train Milan-Venice, stay 3 nights
fast train to Florence, stay 4 nights
train to Cinque Terre area, 2 nights
train to Como or Maggiore, 2 nights
train to Lausanne, 2 nights
stay in Geneva last night, to catch flight to SFO
So a total of 21 nights.
is this too ambitious? If I dropped anything it would probably be CT. Husband really wants to see Como area. We are late 50's, like to walk and see sights, art, museums, history, enjoy the outdoors but are just as happy exploring cities.
My other question is regarding train passes. Probably some Swiss Pass, but maybe just point to point in Italy?
Thank You for your thoughts!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain - day driver advice
- 2 Berlin to ?
- 3 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 4 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 5 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 6 Searching for a restaurant in Le Marais for Sunday lunch in August
- 7 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 8 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 9 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 10 8 days in st Remy - surprise trip for hubby
- 11 Greece
- 12 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 13 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 14 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 15 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 16 Stuck in Paris
- 17 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 18 Buenos Aires, Argentina or Lisbon Portugal
- 19 Edinburgh to Falkirk Wheel to Glasgow
- 20 Renting a car in Greece
- 21 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 22 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 23 Dublin & Environs with Teens Trip Report
- 24 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 25 Paris hotel