My boyfriend and I are thinking about traveling to Switzerland in September. I went to Switzerland with my parents about 12 years ago so I'm sure the experience will be very different, but as a result I would like to incorporate at least one new place into our trip.
We're planning to go on roughly a Thursday night flight through the following Monday. I'm trying to get a sense of what's doable during this time frame, assuming we get the Swiss Pass that gets us 4 days of train travel within the country. We are considering Zurich, Lucerne, Berner Oberland; Geneva and maybe Montreux/Lausanne. I think if we were to go to Lugano, we would go on to Como and fly out of Milan, but technically I've been to all these places too. The Engadine is also an option but I'm wondering if it's worth doing both that and the BO in the autumn, seems like we'd get plenty of opportunities to hike and see mountains already.
So I guess the question is whether to really just focus on Switzerland, or potentially start in Lyon and end in Zurich, or start in Geneva and end in Munich. I've never been to either of these cities and a bigger city would add variety after the more remote mountain locations and small lakeside towns. Also my bf is a big soccer fan and I think it'd be great if we got to go to a Bayern Munich match (provided they're playing while we're there), though I know there are Swiss soccer teams too.
And in order to address the question I suppose it's important to get a sense of how long to spend in each location while making use of the Swiss Pass.
Let me know if you have any thoughts! Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 alItalia
- 2 How to spend 3 days btwn Milan and Florence
- 3 Ottolenghi walk-ins?
- 4 Visit to Engand
- 5 13 nights in Portugal...need tuning !
- 6 Trip in September
- 7 Advice getting from Robin Hood's Bay to London
- 8 The Dordogne - Stu Dudley's Updated Itinerary
- 9 Which city order makes most sense?
- 10 10 days in Germany, Itinerary help please!
- 11 London Restaurants
- 12 Munich Hotel Location
- 13 Portugal In A Week-The Places You'd Go Back To
- 14 A birthday dinner in Sevilla
- 15 Clean up spam
- 16 Croatia - Zadar or Hvar or Korcula?
- 17 Trip to England next month - Itinerary Help needed
- 18 credit and debit cards
- 19 Munich,Prague, CK, Salzburg, Vienna
- 20 Is Sicily Safe?
- 21 Hurtigruten port suggestion
- 22 Alhambra advance tickets - how far in advance?
- 23 Family Friendly Day Trips from Arezzo
- 24 Visiting paris and italy can this itinerary work?
- 25 Easter Week in Europe, Destination Suggestions Please