My boyfriend and I are thinking about traveling to Switzerland in September. I went to Switzerland with my parents about 12 years ago so I'm sure the experience will be very different, but as a result I would like to incorporate at least one new place into our trip.
We're planning to go on roughly a Thursday night flight through the following Monday. I'm trying to get a sense of what's doable during this time frame, assuming we get the Swiss Pass that gets us 4 days of train travel within the country. We are considering Zurich, Lucerne, Berner Oberland; Geneva and maybe Montreux/Lausanne. I think if we were to go to Lugano, we would go on to Como and fly out of Milan, but technically I've been to all these places too. The Engadine is also an option but I'm wondering if it's worth doing both that and the BO in the autumn, seems like we'd get plenty of opportunities to hike and see mountains already.
So I guess the question is whether to really just focus on Switzerland, or potentially start in Lyon and end in Zurich, or start in Geneva and end in Munich. I've never been to either of these cities and a bigger city would add variety after the more remote mountain locations and small lakeside towns. Also my bf is a big soccer fan and I think it'd be great if we got to go to a Bayern Munich match (provided they're playing while we're there), though I know there are Swiss soccer teams too.
And in order to address the question I suppose it's important to get a sense of how long to spend in each location while making use of the Swiss Pass.
Let me know if you have any thoughts! Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Towns around Lucca
- 2 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 3 London and Paris - 3 days each
- 4 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 5 PARIS
- 6 Experiencing Scotland in the Winters
- 7 First Solo Adventure
- 8 Travelling alone to Turkey @18
- 9 transportation from Prague to Cesky Krumlov
- 10 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 11 UK 5 weeks How Far Can We Go!
- 12 Airline to Rome
- 13 Too Little Time in Ireland--Advice?
- 14 Duoro Valley - Train from Regua to Pocinho
- 15 Dordogne and Marseille: into the cave and out to the sea
- 16 Hotels in Copenhagen
- 17 Family Transportation from Heathrow- justairports or Express?
- 18 Georgia in 4 days
- 19 Amalfi itinerary help needed
- 20 Trains in Italy
- 21 Dublin Luggage storage
- 22 Italy with baby - where to go?
- 23 Croatia short sail trip
- 24 The Alhambra Private Tour Guide
- 25 Swimming in Camogli, Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy