My boyfriend and I are thinking about traveling to Switzerland in September. I went to Switzerland with my parents about 12 years ago so I'm sure the experience will be very different, but as a result I would like to incorporate at least one new place into our trip.
We're planning to go on roughly a Thursday night flight through the following Monday. I'm trying to get a sense of what's doable during this time frame, assuming we get the Swiss Pass that gets us 4 days of train travel within the country. We are considering Zurich, Lucerne, Berner Oberland; Geneva and maybe Montreux/Lausanne. I think if we were to go to Lugano, we would go on to Como and fly out of Milan, but technically I've been to all these places too. The Engadine is also an option but I'm wondering if it's worth doing both that and the BO in the autumn, seems like we'd get plenty of opportunities to hike and see mountains already.
So I guess the question is whether to really just focus on Switzerland, or potentially start in Lyon and end in Zurich, or start in Geneva and end in Munich. I've never been to either of these cities and a bigger city would add variety after the more remote mountain locations and small lakeside towns. Also my bf is a big soccer fan and I think it'd be great if we got to go to a Bayern Munich match (provided they're playing while we're there), though I know there are Swiss soccer teams too.
And in order to address the question I suppose it's important to get a sense of how long to spend in each location while making use of the Swiss Pass.
Let me know if you have any thoughts! Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting around London
- 2 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 3 Language to use in Belgium
- 4 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 5 Europe's Most Famous Streets?
- 6 WWI sites
- 7 Weather and clothes in Sakzkammergut in August
- 8 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 9 Paris in August
- 10 Moderately priced French restaurants in Paris: an update
- 11 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 12 Christmas in Spain
- 13 Germany-Car or Train
- 14 Brussels flower tapestry
- 15 Italy Itinerary Gap to Fill - Alternate Suggestions
- 16 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 17 Lake Como,Italy
- 18 21, 18 and 6 year old trip to Europe
- 19 Valencia Spain
- 20 Visiting Zurich
- 21 Cape Sounion en route to Airport?
- 22 Places to visit from Zurich
- 23 SURPRISE TRIP
- 24 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 25 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland