My boyfriend and I are thinking about traveling to Switzerland in September. I went to Switzerland with my parents about 12 years ago so I'm sure the experience will be very different, but as a result I would like to incorporate at least one new place into our trip.
We're planning to go on roughly a Thursday night flight through the following Monday. I'm trying to get a sense of what's doable during this time frame, assuming we get the Swiss Pass that gets us 4 days of train travel within the country. We are considering Zurich, Lucerne, Berner Oberland; Geneva and maybe Montreux/Lausanne. I think if we were to go to Lugano, we would go on to Como and fly out of Milan, but technically I've been to all these places too. The Engadine is also an option but I'm wondering if it's worth doing both that and the BO in the autumn, seems like we'd get plenty of opportunities to hike and see mountains already.
So I guess the question is whether to really just focus on Switzerland, or potentially start in Lyon and end in Zurich, or start in Geneva and end in Munich. I've never been to either of these cities and a bigger city would add variety after the more remote mountain locations and small lakeside towns. Also my bf is a big soccer fan and I think it'd be great if we got to go to a Bayern Munich match (provided they're playing while we're there), though I know there are Swiss soccer teams too.
And in order to address the question I suppose it's important to get a sense of how long to spend in each location while making use of the Swiss Pass.
Let me know if you have any thoughts! Thanks!
Switzerland +1 city itinerary suggestions
- 1 Barcelona June 2013 Trip Report
- 2 Romania Tour Guide
- 3 I'm Boycotting Switzerland And I'm Glad Belgium Makes Great Chocolate Too!
- 4 Transportation from Barcelona airport to Li Riberia
- 5 Best Area to Stay in Paris
- 6 Italy with kids - lost in the wilderness of planning - please help
- 7 Travel from Sorrento to Naples in the early morning?
- 8 5000 stairsteps, 40 ciao bellas, 12 trains, 8 pizzas, 3 women, 1 report
- 9 The "I'm moving/I'm coming home" Italy Trip Report...
- 10 In Venice then Wengen - Urgent help to choose Apt + Train ticket Sold Out
- 11 Amsterdam - Germany and Wine!
- 12 Help Needed with European Adventure
- 13 Places to visit from London
- 14 Nice agriturismo or country apartments/villa near Bologna
- 15 Rental car size in Spain: what's a supermini?
- 16 Renting Apartment in Nice
- 17 Do and don't, eating in France
- 18 Group tours of Greece/Greek islands for solo traveler
- 19 Who is along for the ride???Still needing help on this INTERESTING trip
- 20 Getting the best our of Europe
- 21 Mykonos, Greece Ferry Help Please
- 22 Help with Spain Trip in Late August
- 23 Paris museums free admission
- 24 Opinion Requested on Southeast Castles in Order of Personal Preference
- 25 First time going to Europe. Flying into Dublin...