I’m new to this forum and looking for some feedback on my first Euro-trip.
My girlfriend and I plan on conquering Switzerland and Italy in roughly 2 weeks. We are planning flying into Zurich (or Geneva if better) and eventually flying home from Rome (or the opposite if it makes more sense).
In general, I would say we are looking for the beautiful scenery of Switzerland and to take in the culture of the Italian cities.
Specifically though, for Switzerland, I am looking for the “typical” Swiss town on a picturesque lake with the Alps as a backdrop. We are not big hikers but have seen how beautiful the Jungfraujoch is in photos hence the Wengen portion of the itinerary below.
For Italy, I am under strict orders that Amalfi be included in the itinerary regardless of it being farther than Rome, where we are departing from. Other than Amalfi, we are set on seeing Rome and Florence for the cultural experience.
Please keep in mind our intentions when you are providing any feedback as I don’t know a great deal about this area and may be totally missing the mark when it comes to getting what we’re looking for.
I will outline my very early proposed plan and look forward to any and all feedback.
- Arrive in Zurich; spend 2 nights
- Train to Wengen; spend 2 nights
- Train to Lake Como; spend 2 nights
- Train to Florence; spend 3 nights
- Train to Amalfi; spend 3 nights
- Train to Rome; spend 3 nights
- Fly home from Rome
Among any feedback you’d like to give, I’d especially like to know:
- Is anything not possible (ie. trains not going certain places)?
- Given how I described what we’re looking for above, would you replace or remove any destinations altogether?
- Any accommodation/restaurant advice for any of the destinations?
- How long do you need in each destination?
My initial thoughts / reservations on this early itinerary which some may also be able to help out with:
- We may be duplicating scenery and whatnot by stopping in Como for 2 nights if we are getting what we’re looking for in Wengen. Potentially, Como can be cut out.
- I don’t have a lot of interest in the big Swiss cities (Geneva, Zurich) but didn’t want to be rushed right out of the plane.
- Not sure if Wengen or Amalfi are accessible by train.
- Nor sure if Wengen fits the bill as the town that we’re looking for.
Like I said, on top of all of those questions, I would appreciate any other feedback you may have.
Thanks a lot!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tours start Switzerland end London
- 2 Itinerary help needed for month in France.
- 3 Europe Trip 22 year olds
- 4 Please help with transportation suggestions in Belgium
- 5 Help with Sapin and Portugal itinerary please
- 6 St. Petersburg: 5 days / Itineray questions
- 7 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 8 BritRail Pass Seat Reservation Cost
- 9 Southern Spain Recs for Honeymooners?
- 10 Swiss Pass upgrade for a route
- 11 Driving in Sicily: Help!
- 12 Sankt Goar to Cologne
- 13 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 14 Help with itinerary in Southern Italy in Maye
- 15 Sicily car rental: pickup, drop off, and size
- 16 Cordoba or Granada?
- 17 Early planning for Scotland. Itinerary thoughts?
- 18 Alhambra night tour tickets question / Seville Alcazar night tour
- 19 Geneva to Munich
- 20 Venice Restaurant on Easter Sunday?
- 21 Barcelona>Andalusia>Madrid...8 days with a pre-schooler
- 22 Dachstien Ice Caves
- 23 14 days in Europe: Paris, Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre, Rome
- 24 Iceland itinerary help
- 25 16 days loop Venice to Venice