I’m new to this forum and looking for some feedback on my first Euro-trip.
My girlfriend and I plan on conquering Switzerland and Italy in roughly 2 weeks. We are planning flying into Zurich (or Geneva if better) and eventually flying home from Rome (or the opposite if it makes more sense).
In general, I would say we are looking for the beautiful scenery of Switzerland and to take in the culture of the Italian cities.
Specifically though, for Switzerland, I am looking for the “typical” Swiss town on a picturesque lake with the Alps as a backdrop. We are not big hikers but have seen how beautiful the Jungfraujoch is in photos hence the Wengen portion of the itinerary below.
For Italy, I am under strict orders that Amalfi be included in the itinerary regardless of it being farther than Rome, where we are departing from. Other than Amalfi, we are set on seeing Rome and Florence for the cultural experience.
Please keep in mind our intentions when you are providing any feedback as I don’t know a great deal about this area and may be totally missing the mark when it comes to getting what we’re looking for.
I will outline my very early proposed plan and look forward to any and all feedback.
- Arrive in Zurich; spend 2 nights
- Train to Wengen; spend 2 nights
- Train to Lake Como; spend 2 nights
- Train to Florence; spend 3 nights
- Train to Amalfi; spend 3 nights
- Train to Rome; spend 3 nights
- Fly home from Rome
Among any feedback you’d like to give, I’d especially like to know:
- Is anything not possible (ie. trains not going certain places)?
- Given how I described what we’re looking for above, would you replace or remove any destinations altogether?
- Any accommodation/restaurant advice for any of the destinations?
- How long do you need in each destination?
My initial thoughts / reservations on this early itinerary which some may also be able to help out with:
- We may be duplicating scenery and whatnot by stopping in Como for 2 nights if we are getting what we’re looking for in Wengen. Potentially, Como can be cut out.
- I don’t have a lot of interest in the big Swiss cities (Geneva, Zurich) but didn’t want to be rushed right out of the plane.
- Not sure if Wengen or Amalfi are accessible by train.
- Nor sure if Wengen fits the bill as the town that we’re looking for.
Like I said, on top of all of those questions, I would appreciate any other feedback you may have.
Thanks a lot!
Swiss/Italy Trip - Need Itinerary advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 2 Tipping in Turkey ...and Europe
- 3 Paris Perfect: change of apartment
- 4 Normandy, Brittany and Loire Valley in May - please help with itinerary
- 5 How much will a budget to Europe be for 2 months?
- 6 Day trip to Rothenberg from Munich
- 7 Tuscany with 13 and 19 year old girls
- 8 Shoes for Paris in April
- 9 DOURO RIVER CRUISE - 1 DAY - PORTO-PINHAO-PORTO
- 10 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 11 Oh to be in England now that Spring is there - a walk in the Dales
- 12 Otherchelebi Can you Help Me?
- 13 21 Days in Central Europe
- 14 Italy and France in 20 Days
- 15 London visit
- 16 Need help making VIP seat reservations on Golden Pass train
- 17 I Go to Pieces — An Italy Trip Report
- 18 Need help with Europe Itinerary
- 19 Driving to Paris... Parking?
- 20 Advice Train from Berlin to Prague
- 21 Who has stayed at a Citadines Paris property?
- 22 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 23 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 24 Tram 28 safe to travel with kids?
- 25 How to get from Charles de Gaulle Airport to Gare du Nord?