I’m new to this forum and looking for some feedback on my first Euro-trip.
My girlfriend and I plan on conquering Switzerland and Italy in roughly 2 weeks. We are planning flying into Zurich (or Geneva if better) and eventually flying home from Rome (or the opposite if it makes more sense).
In general, I would say we are looking for the beautiful scenery of Switzerland and to take in the culture of the Italian cities.
Specifically though, for Switzerland, I am looking for the “typical” Swiss town on a picturesque lake with the Alps as a backdrop. We are not big hikers but have seen how beautiful the Jungfraujoch is in photos hence the Wengen portion of the itinerary below.
For Italy, I am under strict orders that Amalfi be included in the itinerary regardless of it being farther than Rome, where we are departing from. Other than Amalfi, we are set on seeing Rome and Florence for the cultural experience.
Please keep in mind our intentions when you are providing any feedback as I don’t know a great deal about this area and may be totally missing the mark when it comes to getting what we’re looking for.
I will outline my very early proposed plan and look forward to any and all feedback.
- Arrive in Zurich; spend 2 nights
- Train to Wengen; spend 2 nights
- Train to Lake Como; spend 2 nights
- Train to Florence; spend 3 nights
- Train to Amalfi; spend 3 nights
- Train to Rome; spend 3 nights
- Fly home from Rome
Among any feedback you’d like to give, I’d especially like to know:
- Is anything not possible (ie. trains not going certain places)?
- Given how I described what we’re looking for above, would you replace or remove any destinations altogether?
- Any accommodation/restaurant advice for any of the destinations?
- How long do you need in each destination?
My initial thoughts / reservations on this early itinerary which some may also be able to help out with:
- We may be duplicating scenery and whatnot by stopping in Como for 2 nights if we are getting what we’re looking for in Wengen. Potentially, Como can be cut out.
- I don’t have a lot of interest in the big Swiss cities (Geneva, Zurich) but didn’t want to be rushed right out of the plane.
- Not sure if Wengen or Amalfi are accessible by train.
- Nor sure if Wengen fits the bill as the town that we’re looking for.
Like I said, on top of all of those questions, I would appreciate any other feedback you may have.
Thanks a lot!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 TER ticket bought online -- good all day?
- 2 Parentheses in France Phone Nos...will iPhone dial appropriately?
- 3 Amsterdam Train Help Please!
- 4 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 5 Looking for recommendation for lodging in NAXOS, GREECE
- 6 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 7 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 8 Scotland itinerary advice
- 9 When to purchase high speed train tickets?
- 10 2 Week Europe Itinerary
- 11 Children's seat on Nextbike in Wachau Valley?
- 12 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 13 Advice needed re CDW for car rental in Ireland/N. Ireland
- 14 First trip to Paris! (and Amsterdam)
- 15 3 Weeks in Scotland and Ireland
- 16 Preliminary trip planning for Portugal April 2018
- 17 Munich to Hallstatt in a day
- 18 Help Planning Honeymoon
- 19 Amalfi Coast/Sorrento-which town?
- 20 Long Train Runnin' through the Alps (Switzerland 2016)
- 21 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 22 Valencia Spain
- 23 Day Trip From Lisbon
- 24 Visiting Zurich
- 25 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)