I’m new to this forum and looking for some feedback on my first Euro-trip.
My girlfriend and I plan on conquering Switzerland and Italy in roughly 2 weeks. We are planning flying into Zurich (or Geneva if better) and eventually flying home from Rome (or the opposite if it makes more sense).
In general, I would say we are looking for the beautiful scenery of Switzerland and to take in the culture of the Italian cities.
Specifically though, for Switzerland, I am looking for the “typical” Swiss town on a picturesque lake with the Alps as a backdrop. We are not big hikers but have seen how beautiful the Jungfraujoch is in photos hence the Wengen portion of the itinerary below.
For Italy, I am under strict orders that Amalfi be included in the itinerary regardless of it being farther than Rome, where we are departing from. Other than Amalfi, we are set on seeing Rome and Florence for the cultural experience.
Please keep in mind our intentions when you are providing any feedback as I don’t know a great deal about this area and may be totally missing the mark when it comes to getting what we’re looking for.
I will outline my very early proposed plan and look forward to any and all feedback.
- Arrive in Zurich; spend 2 nights
- Train to Wengen; spend 2 nights
- Train to Lake Como; spend 2 nights
- Train to Florence; spend 3 nights
- Train to Amalfi; spend 3 nights
- Train to Rome; spend 3 nights
- Fly home from Rome
Among any feedback you’d like to give, I’d especially like to know:
- Is anything not possible (ie. trains not going certain places)?
- Given how I described what we’re looking for above, would you replace or remove any destinations altogether?
- Any accommodation/restaurant advice for any of the destinations?
- How long do you need in each destination?
My initial thoughts / reservations on this early itinerary which some may also be able to help out with:
- We may be duplicating scenery and whatnot by stopping in Como for 2 nights if we are getting what we’re looking for in Wengen. Potentially, Como can be cut out.
- I don’t have a lot of interest in the big Swiss cities (Geneva, Zurich) but didn’t want to be rushed right out of the plane.
- Not sure if Wengen or Amalfi are accessible by train.
- Nor sure if Wengen fits the bill as the town that we’re looking for.
Like I said, on top of all of those questions, I would appreciate any other feedback you may have.
Thanks a lot!
Swiss/Italy Trip - Need Itinerary advice!
- 1 Ireland in a week
- 2 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 3 A Month in Bologna Photos/Blog TR
- 4 Hungary and Czech Republic
- 5 Itinerary Help: Amsterdam-Zurich/Basel-Geneva in 10 days?
- 6 London 12 day itinerary suggestions needed
- 7 Copenhagen Weekend with Family
- 8 Please help with this Switzerland/Italy itinerary
- 9 Orvieto ro Pompei day trip in late December?
- 10 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 11 Venice 3 days Itinerary.
- 12 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 13 Mad Dash Across Too Much - Rome
- 14 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 15 Costa del Sol (Spain) versus Cote d Azur (France) ??
- 16 To Paris and Provence in June
- 17 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 18 all white pottery shop near La Deniere Goutte Wine Shop
- 19 Bus shuttle from MXP to Milan Centrale Station
- 20 Weekend in Lake Bled?
- 21 Rental Agency Recommendation
- 22 Confirming..."Buy train tickets the day of departure" advice....M/V/Rome
- 23 London for Christmas
- 24 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 25 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!