I’m new to this forum and looking for some feedback on my first Euro-trip.
My girlfriend and I plan on conquering Switzerland and Italy in roughly 2 weeks. We are planning flying into Zurich (or Geneva if better) and eventually flying home from Rome (or the opposite if it makes more sense).
In general, I would say we are looking for the beautiful scenery of Switzerland and to take in the culture of the Italian cities.
Specifically though, for Switzerland, I am looking for the “typical” Swiss town on a picturesque lake with the Alps as a backdrop. We are not big hikers but have seen how beautiful the Jungfraujoch is in photos hence the Wengen portion of the itinerary below.
For Italy, I am under strict orders that Amalfi be included in the itinerary regardless of it being farther than Rome, where we are departing from. Other than Amalfi, we are set on seeing Rome and Florence for the cultural experience.
Please keep in mind our intentions when you are providing any feedback as I don’t know a great deal about this area and may be totally missing the mark when it comes to getting what we’re looking for.
I will outline my very early proposed plan and look forward to any and all feedback.
- Arrive in Zurich; spend 2 nights
- Train to Wengen; spend 2 nights
- Train to Lake Como; spend 2 nights
- Train to Florence; spend 3 nights
- Train to Amalfi; spend 3 nights
- Train to Rome; spend 3 nights
- Fly home from Rome
Among any feedback you’d like to give, I’d especially like to know:
- Is anything not possible (ie. trains not going certain places)?
- Given how I described what we’re looking for above, would you replace or remove any destinations altogether?
- Any accommodation/restaurant advice for any of the destinations?
- How long do you need in each destination?
My initial thoughts / reservations on this early itinerary which some may also be able to help out with:
- We may be duplicating scenery and whatnot by stopping in Como for 2 nights if we are getting what we’re looking for in Wengen. Potentially, Como can be cut out.
- I don’t have a lot of interest in the big Swiss cities (Geneva, Zurich) but didn’t want to be rushed right out of the plane.
- Not sure if Wengen or Amalfi are accessible by train.
- Nor sure if Wengen fits the bill as the town that we’re looking for.
Like I said, on top of all of those questions, I would appreciate any other feedback you may have.
Thanks a lot!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 4 week trip Turkey
- 2 Glastonbury vs Bath
- 3 Edinburgh apartment choice, please advise
- 4 Rue des Rosiers
- 5 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 6 Received Black Friday ads feom Europe
- 7 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 8 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 9 One day cruise stop Catania Sicily Trip Report
- 10 2 adults & 2 kids in a hotel room in Iceland?
- 11 1&1/2 day 1 night in helsinki
- 12 A Short Holiday Kiev and Chernobyl
- 13 Scotland Trip
- 14 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris
- 15 X-ray machines at train stations in Europe?
- 16 Advices about our itiniary
- 17 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 18 First trip to Italy-2 weeks with a 9 year old
- 19 Paris Under Seige...
- 20 Denied entry to UK; could this give me problems going to Estonia?
- 21 What to take to Germany
- 22 Bergen/Tromso/Lofoten
- 23 Riga / Vecaki from a birds Eye
- 24 An Escape from Turkish Chaos to Everyday Venice
- 25 Frankfurt to (insert ideads here) then to the Mosel region