I’m new to this forum and looking for some feedback on my first Euro-trip.
My girlfriend and I plan on conquering Switzerland and Italy in roughly 2 weeks. We are planning flying into Zurich (or Geneva if better) and eventually flying home from Rome (or the opposite if it makes more sense).
In general, I would say we are looking for the beautiful scenery of Switzerland and to take in the culture of the Italian cities.
Specifically though, for Switzerland, I am looking for the “typical” Swiss town on a picturesque lake with the Alps as a backdrop. We are not big hikers but have seen how beautiful the Jungfraujoch is in photos hence the Wengen portion of the itinerary below.
For Italy, I am under strict orders that Amalfi be included in the itinerary regardless of it being farther than Rome, where we are departing from. Other than Amalfi, we are set on seeing Rome and Florence for the cultural experience.
Please keep in mind our intentions when you are providing any feedback as I don’t know a great deal about this area and may be totally missing the mark when it comes to getting what we’re looking for.
I will outline my very early proposed plan and look forward to any and all feedback.
- Arrive in Zurich; spend 2 nights
- Train to Wengen; spend 2 nights
- Train to Lake Como; spend 2 nights
- Train to Florence; spend 3 nights
- Train to Amalfi; spend 3 nights
- Train to Rome; spend 3 nights
- Fly home from Rome
Among any feedback you’d like to give, I’d especially like to know:
- Is anything not possible (ie. trains not going certain places)?
- Given how I described what we’re looking for above, would you replace or remove any destinations altogether?
- Any accommodation/restaurant advice for any of the destinations?
- How long do you need in each destination?
My initial thoughts / reservations on this early itinerary which some may also be able to help out with:
- We may be duplicating scenery and whatnot by stopping in Como for 2 nights if we are getting what we’re looking for in Wengen. Potentially, Como can be cut out.
- I don’t have a lot of interest in the big Swiss cities (Geneva, Zurich) but didn’t want to be rushed right out of the plane.
- Not sure if Wengen or Amalfi are accessible by train.
- Nor sure if Wengen fits the bill as the town that we’re looking for.
Like I said, on top of all of those questions, I would appreciate any other feedback you may have.
Thanks a lot!
Swiss/Italy Trip - Need Itinerary advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 big family in Ireland
- 2 UK for 10 days with 9 and 13 year old
- 3 What to wear
- 4 Touring Dover Castle
- 5 Help me plan Greece portion of anniversary trip
- 6 Ireland itinerary
- 7 Barcelona and Italy itinerary...hotels all set, need help w some details
- 8 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 9 Day trips from Varenna, Lake Como
- 10 Buses in Amalfi coast town areas
- 11 Cell phones in Ireland
- 12 Flying in and out of Zurich - stay there the entire time?
- 13 7 Nights in Paris
- 14 Savoring Sicily - A Trip Report
- 15 Santorini transportation
- 16 Frecciabianca Seat Selection, please help.
- 17 Luggage on train from Waterloo to Southampton
- 18 Swiss Pass - Purchase Online or in-Person
- 19 Mephisto Shoes in Paris
- 20 Turin: Have you used the Torino+Piemonte card?
- 21 Carry on luggage only with a family travelling to Europe?
- 22 Apartment rental suggestions in Florence and Rome
- 23 Madrid and London
- 24 Riverboat Moscow to St. Petersburg
- 25 Ireland: Need help deciding about maps and SIM card