Trying to plan my train pass for an upcoming June trip to Switzerland. Having a little difficulty planning which pass is going to be the most cost effective given most legs of the trip require booking multiple trains / cablecars / etc. It's tough to figure out what is included and what is not included - not sure for example if the Swiss Pass would give us free tickets to the airport given we are coming from a different town. Our trip is 8 days in Wengen in the Alps / BO, 4 days in Weggis on Lake Lucerne.
Train / cablecar legs:
1) Zurich - Wengen (one way from airport - involves at least 3 trains)
2) Wengen - Murren (roundtrip - quick trip but involves two trains and a cablecar)
3) Train to top of Jungfrau (roundtrip)
4) Wengen - Berne (roundtrip - this is not definite. But thinking we will want to take a day trip somewhere from Wengen)
5) Wengen - Lucerne (one way)
6) Lake Lucerne boat to Weggis (one way)
7) Mt. Rigi cablecar in Weggis (round trip)
8) Weggis to Zurich airport (one way - perhaps taking a boat to Lucerne or just a train from Weggis to Zurich?)
Additional legs are likely. If I had to guess, we'd probably use the boats on Lucerne a few times. And we will be looking to take a day trip from Wengen to explore a nearby city / town within easy striking distance (thinking Berne but probably better options exist).
We're looking for 2nd class travel if that makes a difference.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 No Periods in British Written English!
- 2 Sao Miguel, Azores
- 3 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 4 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 5 Relais Il Canalicchio
- 6 Perugia
- 7 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail
- 8 CDG Meeting Point Help
- 9 Lunch stop in Cinque Terre
- 10 Seville- Ronda drive time
- 11 Ronda Wine/biking
- 12 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 13 St Denis Cathedral
- 14 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
- 15 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 16 First Trip from Boston to Italy
- 17 Andalucia itinerary help
- 18 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 19 Doumo to Lampugnano bus station
- 20 Mayrhofen August with nearly 5 year old and 5 months old?
- 21 Day trips from Florence
- 22 Bus from Dubrovnik to Mostar
- 23 Hotel Dauphine. Paris.
- 24 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 25 A few days in Naples - what a great city
Swiss Pass, Swiss Card, or Swiss Half Fare Card for 11 day trip?