Just wanted some input on a trip to Switzerland in May 2015.
I will be travelling with my elderly in-laws on our way to Italy to see relatives.
My Father-in-law is quite spritely and mobile, but my mother-in-law finds it hard to be on her feet too much after a broken ankle 2 years ago (they are in their 70s)
We have 3 nights 4 days between Basel and Chur (doing the Bernina to Tirano).
I was thinking Lucerne, my FIL loves boats after a life as a fisherman. I thought my MIL would love the views. A place where she can sit on a balcony and see all the beauty. My question is whether we would be better to be in a smaller lakeside village. Money isn’t the only issue, but as our two children are with us (aged 8 & 9) we are a party of 6. Lakeside rooms in Lucerne are expensive. I wondered if Grindelwald would be better. Or whether we should stay in Brienz to have cheaper lakeside view. Or can anyone recommend a family run B&B anywhere in the region? I just don’t want my MIL stuck in her room, so a smaller place might be easier for her to move around, chat to people, eat fondue? My MIL has never been overseas before, and this will probably be her one and only trip. We will be travelling by train so I have been looking at places where we don’t have to change trains much. Thanks for reading,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 2 Europe's Most Iconic Sights...???????
- 3 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 4 Enough time to make connection at CDG?
- 5 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 6 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 7 Where to spend a week in Italy
- 8 Any Lisbon or Porto trip reports?
- 9 Norway Itinerary
- 10 Help with timeline. Connecting flights in London Gatwick
- 11 train or plane
- 12 Scotland - Highlands in May or June?
- 13 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 14 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 15 Germany in December Trip Report
- 16 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 17 driving the coastline of Croatia
- 18 Driving from Alesund to Geiranger
- 19 Planning a European Trip
- 20 Hotels in Kamari or Perissa/Perivolos Beaches - Santorini
- 21 Italy for Christmas Week
- 22 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 23 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 24 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 25 Trip Report Crete May 2016