I'm hoping someone with insight into work visas / vacation visas can help.
I wish this was shorter, but trust me, I made this as short as I could.
- I'm American, and was hired by a Swedish temp agency to work for a Swedish firm. The idea was 'try him out to see if he's *lagom* and if he is out let's hire him.'
- After six months, I was offered the permanent job. I took it and canceled my agency contract.
- I turns out my visa was overlooked during the hiring process. Nobody thought to re-apply to match my new employer. We discovered this after I'd been accidentally working illegally in Sweden for several months.
- We notified Migrationsverket as soon as we found out. I immediately left the country while they tried to fix my visa. So, we did our best once we knew.
- Migrationsverket denied me a new work visa. The sense we're getting is Migrationsverket is really pissed at my hiring company and refuses to believe the whole screw-up was in good faith. We appealed, but it's been stalled for months.
- Due to all of this, and no sign of it working out, I'm leaving the company.
Still with me? Thanks for hanging on.
I LOVE Sweden, I have an apartment in Stockholm (talk about winning the lottery), several incredibly good friends, etc. - my whole life is there. I'm trying my hardest to get back in. (Hell, Jag studerade svenska på SFI i fyra månader. My hope was to someday become fluent.)
I'm in a hot field (software UX), and I'm getting a bunch of interest from companies all over Sweden, so I don't think finding a job will be a problem. I just don't know if I *can* get back in.
Am I banned from Sweden for a while, or maybe even forever?
Is this whole thing a mark on me, or on my company?
If I fly into Arlanda with a round-trip ticket out of Sweden and a list of invites to job interviews, will I be stopped and told to leave?
Is the flood of asylum refugees making this whole thing a fool's errand?
Thanks in advance for any insight.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spanish Medical Providers
- 2 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 3 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 4 Barcelona alternative
- 5 Paris to Italy
- 6 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 7 Driving through Paris
- 8 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 9 May Day 2018 in Slovenia
- 10 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 11 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 12 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 13 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 14 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 15 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 16 9 Days in Spain
- 17 Road trip with our dog
- 18 Frankfurt to UK
- 19 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 20 One last lunch in Rome - recommendations near Vatican City please
- 21 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 22 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 23 Electrical Power Conversion
- 24 Douro Valley in January?
- 25 Greek Islands - Which to use as our base?