I'm hoping someone with insight into work visas / vacation visas can help.
I wish this was shorter, but trust me, I made this as short as I could.
- I'm American, and was hired by a Swedish temp agency to work for a Swedish firm. The idea was 'try him out to see if he's *lagom* and if he is out let's hire him.'
- After six months, I was offered the permanent job. I took it and canceled my agency contract.
- I turns out my visa was overlooked during the hiring process. Nobody thought to re-apply to match my new employer. We discovered this after I'd been accidentally working illegally in Sweden for several months.
- We notified Migrationsverket as soon as we found out. I immediately left the country while they tried to fix my visa. So, we did our best once we knew.
- Migrationsverket denied me a new work visa. The sense we're getting is Migrationsverket is really pissed at my hiring company and refuses to believe the whole screw-up was in good faith. We appealed, but it's been stalled for months.
- Due to all of this, and no sign of it working out, I'm leaving the company.
Still with me? Thanks for hanging on.
I LOVE Sweden, I have an apartment in Stockholm (talk about winning the lottery), several incredibly good friends, etc. - my whole life is there. I'm trying my hardest to get back in. (Hell, Jag studerade svenska på SFI i fyra månader. My hope was to someday become fluent.)
I'm in a hot field (software UX), and I'm getting a bunch of interest from companies all over Sweden, so I don't think finding a job will be a problem. I just don't know if I *can* get back in.
Am I banned from Sweden for a while, or maybe even forever?
Is this whole thing a mark on me, or on my company?
If I fly into Arlanda with a round-trip ticket out of Sweden and a list of invites to job interviews, will I be stopped and told to leave?
Is the flood of asylum refugees making this whole thing a fool's errand?
Thanks in advance for any insight.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Honeymoon in April-May 2017: Spain or Greece?
- 2 restaurants in Marais district
- 3 France & Italy, May or June
- 4 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 5 Northern Italy 11 days Milan in/out
- 6 http://dermaessencecreamblog.com/nature-renew/
- 7 Aug 2017 - Italy with Boys (12 & 7 yr old)
- 8 Engadine Valley help
- 9 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 10 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 11 Andalusia March 2 - March 11 Barcelona to Lisbon
- 12 How much time to allow between arrival at CDG and train departure?
- 13 Honeymoon in Greece
- 14 Italy for Christmas Week
- 15 A Month stay in Southern France
- 16 Shoes in Scotland
- 17 Please recommend an honest car rental service in Romania
- 18 Enough time to make connection at CDG?
- 19 Question about Half Fare Cards
- 20 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 21 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 22 A Week In Athens - Trip Report
- 23 Portugal with large family
- 24 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 25 Sicily