Recently my father, sister, brother-in-law and I surprised my mom for a big birthday with a family trip to Sicily. She has been doing a lot of family ancestry research (her mom was born in Messina and her father's family is from Montevago) so she is more than excited to go, especially with all of us!
I had posted before at the very beginning of planning, and now that I have a better idea of our schedule, I was hoping you might be able to look it over for us! Nothing has been booked yet, so any suggestions about where to stay, where to eat, or what to see would be greatly appreciated!
Here is a little bit about us...
-4 out of 5 of us are teachers, so we have to go in July, I know it's not the best time, but it's our only option!
-we'd like the hotels and restaurants to be moderately priced, we will need 3 rooms and want to stay in safe, clean and relatively cheap hotels, nothing fancy necessary
-we are interested in history, culture, taking pictures and wandering, we are not at all into clubs, bars, etc.
-we are into good, traditional food and gelato!!! any suggestions?
I can't begin to tell you how much we truly appreciate your help and ideas. This is going to be a family trip we will really treasure forever! Here's what I have so far!
July 8- fly from JFK to Palermo
July 9-11 Stay in Palermo- Maybe a train ride to Cefalu? I'm looking at Butera 28, looks like a great place to stay!
July 11- Rent a car (for the rest of the trip)-there seems to be an autoeurope office pretty close to the hotel, so hopefully we can pick up a car there
and here is where I dont know how to time things and could really use some help!
July 11-17, We'd like to visit castellamare del golfo, montevago, agrigento, porto empedocle, syracuse, taormina, and I'm sure there are places I'm missing!
Any suggestions on where to stay and how many days to stay there? I'm thinking two hotels during this time and lots of side trips?
July 17-20 Messina, Torre Faro-my mom has family here and she would like to visit them and explore the area
July 20- depart from Catania airport.
I truly truly appreciate your time and suggestions! Thanks so much in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Assisi, Chianti & Inqie Terre-2 wks.
- 2 TGV from Paris to Vienna?
- 3 Travel vs. Babies
- 4 Need suggestions for musical Events in Rome
- 5 Spain itinerary, suggestions please!
- 6 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 7 Eiffel Tower Fireworks Photos July 14th
- 8 Paris with Layover in Munich. Can we leave the airport?
- 9 Which is the nearest London airport to reach loughton
- 10 What is the area around Camaiore like?
- 11 Andalucia in December
- 12 England and Wales by public transport
- 13 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 14 Do We Need A Guide to do the Ring Road?
- 15 did anyone familiar with p-airbus for airport transportation?
- 16 Midway stop btwn Paris & Venice?
- 17 How busy are the Rhine & Mosel River Valleys in early May?
- 18 10 Days in Greece @ End of June
- 19 Where to stay in Paris? So many options!
- 20 Van Gogh Museum advice
- 21 Super Excited! 3 weeks need your help!
- 22 Bamboozled. First trip to Europe. Motorhome v car and other questions...
- 23 Vienna or Budapest?
- 24 Spain for 2 weeks in April but what parts?
- 25 Help deciding on how to tour England/Ireland/Scotland