I am planning a surprise trip to Scandinavia for my wife in the first 3 weeks of September (20 full days excluding flight time). Initially, I was deliberating between Central Europe (Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg and Prague) and Scandinavia, and decided on the latter as she has always wanted to see the Nordic countries and the Northern Lights. It will be our first time visiting.
I have just started reading guide books and researching online and have come up with a preliminary list of places we would like to visit.
I am unsure about the best order to do them in and whether it is realistic to cover them all in 16-17 full days. I plan to fly to Paris for the last 2-3 days of the trip before flying out of Paris to Melbourne.
In order of preference:
- Tromsø (Northern Lights) 4 days
- Norway in a Nutshell tour (Oslo to Bergen) 1 day
- Fjords 2 day
- Stockholm 4 days
- Oslo 3 days
- Copenhagen 2 days
For Norway, I have read suggested itinerary such as: Oslo – Stavanger – Bergen – Trondheim (by boat) – Lofoten – Tromso – Nordkapp but I am not sure if it would be realistic for us to fit this in.
If we had to take out a few places out, then they would be Copenhagen and Oslo.
My wife and I love exploring cities, taking in the culture, visiting museum and seeing natural scenery, and am sure these will be offered in abundance. We like outdoor activities but are not experienced hikers.
I understand 17 days is not enough to see everything, but our aim is to see a snippet of everything as I’m sure we will fall in love and return.
1) We can either fly into Oslo (Gardermoen), Stockholm (Arlanda) or Copenhagan. Which would you suggest to start and end our trip (before flying to Paris)?
2) Would early September be too cold for any of the above places (especially Fjords)? I have read that August is usually the rain season for Norway.
3) Would flights be the best mode of transport between each of the above places? Are there any routes where a scenic train ride is recommended?
4) Should we go to Tromso for the Northern Lights first or leave that to last?
5) How many days for each place would you recommend on spending?
6) Would you recommend cutting out some of the time in Oslo, Stockholm or even taking out Copenhagen to fit in Lofoten or Trolltunga?
I would really appreciate if you could let me know your thoughts on the above or suggest an itinerary that would allow us to see as many of the places on the list.
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help building itinerary Italy/Austria
- 2 Scotland - We're Here!
- 3 Cinque Terre trip/trains
- 4 European Vacation 2017
- 5 3 weeks with Kids - Austria Itinerary help
- 6 offline navigation for a tablet in Germany and Austria
- 7 Need help in completing trip details
- 8 Avoid Europcar!
- 9 Odd Question - freezer and microwave
- 10 Which area to stay in London
- 11 Two days around Oban - help with itinerary
- 12 A week all around Sicily - May 2017
- 13 Southern Italy Help - Part 2
- 14 Madrid food advice needed
- 15 A couple last minute questions before my first trip to Barcelona
- 16 Burgundy or Languedoc-Rousillon
- 17 Split to Hvar
- 18 Paris for children
- 19 Please Help! Day Trips to Bern, Thun, Castles, and MORE!
- 20 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 21 Villa Ephrussi Rothschild
- 22 Algarve - is it for me?
- 23 Amsterdam Anne Frank House
- 24 Itinery help Crete
- 25 Naples + Walking Tour
Surprise trip for my wife - suggested Itinerary for 17 days in Scandinavia