I have finally made plans for what I think will be a wonderful holiday in Europe and would appreciate your thoughts on the middle section.
The itinery is as follows:
Fly from Australia to Venice arriving mid afternoon and stay for 7 nights in an apartment (La Rosa de Venezia). Booked and confirmed.
Fly Venice to Geneva in Switzerland arriving again in the afternoon, pick up a car and drive to Chamonix (?) for overnight and to arrive in Zermatt the next day. The flights are booked and this night is open allowing for delays and for the stress of driving on the wrong side of the road ! The car hire is a must, my hubby doesnt want to use trains and it is his only request for the holiday.
I have booked 2 nights in Zermatt, 3 in Lauterbrunnen and then 2 in Weggis. These can be changed if necessary). We have been to Lucerne and Zurich briefly before. Switzerland is all about the scenery this time. Is this a reasonable schedule?
From there I have a week open to drive to Belguim. I was thinking of going through Luxembourg and onto the Netherlands (Eindhoven, Arnhem for war history sites for hubby) and across to Belgium from there. We have been to Amsterdam before and have no real desire to go back.
I have booked 3 nights in Bruge to use as a base and 2 in Brussels. Leave car on arrival in Brussels.
I have plans to book the Thalys train from Brussels to Paris (cant do yet >90 days) and have booked and confirmed an apartment in Paris near the Louvre for a week.
From there its a stop over in Dubai for 4 nights and back home to Australia. All up its just short of 6 weeks including flights.
Does anyone have any suggestions for the middle driving week? I havent found a lot about Luxembourg on the net but Trier in Germany doesnt look too far out of the way and could be interesting. Is is worth visiting Lichtenstein for a night or two after Weggis and before heading north?
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Naples or Genoa
- 2 Amsterdam, Germany
- 3 Les bons plans de Whathello
- 4 What do you trust more: Booking or Tripadvisor?
- 5 I'm moving to Italy...one way or another
- 6 Day Trip Orleans to Provins, an Italian Hill Town in France
- 7 Provins as a day trip from Paris
- 8 Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland
- 9 My 3 Day Umbrian Plan. What do you think?
- 10 Day trip from Marbella to the Alhambra
- 11 Swiss: 9 day trip
- 12 What to shop for in Floeence, Chianti, Montalcino and CT
- 13 15 days trip to Europe
- 14 Scotland Highlands Help
- 15 Italy - 19 days - 6 locations - Family of 4
- 16 How Challenging Did You Find German to Learn?
- 17 Advice on these Madrid apartments and hostels please.
- 18 Europe itinerary review
- 19 Exploring Extraordinary Extremadura
- 20 Changing planes in Frankfurt
- 21 2 weeks in Amsterdam, Belgium and France
- 22 Barcelona and coastal towns
- 23 Navigating the Swiss travel system
- 24 Bed & Breakfast in Ireland - need reservations?
- 25 10 Days in Spain is this do-able or nuts?