I have finally made plans for what I think will be a wonderful holiday in Europe and would appreciate your thoughts on the middle section.
The itinery is as follows:
Fly from Australia to Venice arriving mid afternoon and stay for 7 nights in an apartment (La Rosa de Venezia). Booked and confirmed.
Fly Venice to Geneva in Switzerland arriving again in the afternoon, pick up a car and drive to Chamonix (?) for overnight and to arrive in Zermatt the next day. The flights are booked and this night is open allowing for delays and for the stress of driving on the wrong side of the road ! The car hire is a must, my hubby doesnt want to use trains and it is his only request for the holiday.
I have booked 2 nights in Zermatt, 3 in Lauterbrunnen and then 2 in Weggis. These can be changed if necessary). We have been to Lucerne and Zurich briefly before. Switzerland is all about the scenery this time. Is this a reasonable schedule?
From there I have a week open to drive to Belguim. I was thinking of going through Luxembourg and onto the Netherlands (Eindhoven, Arnhem for war history sites for hubby) and across to Belgium from there. We have been to Amsterdam before and have no real desire to go back.
I have booked 3 nights in Bruge to use as a base and 2 in Brussels. Leave car on arrival in Brussels.
I have plans to book the Thalys train from Brussels to Paris (cant do yet >90 days) and have booked and confirmed an apartment in Paris near the Louvre for a week.
From there its a stop over in Dubai for 4 nights and back home to Australia. All up its just short of 6 weeks including flights.
Does anyone have any suggestions for the middle driving week? I havent found a lot about Luxembourg on the net but Trier in Germany doesnt look too far out of the way and could be interesting. Is is worth visiting Lichtenstein for a night or two after Weggis and before heading north?
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Suggestions please -fine tuning 5 weeks in Europe
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Venice to Dolomites then Tuscany? Need itinerary advice
- 2 Buses in Amalfi coast town areas
- 3 7 Nights in Paris
- 4 'Non war cemetery' Allied war graves in France (and elsewhere)
- 5 Puglia planning - where to base, how long to spend
- 6 Cell phones in Ireland
- 7 Apartment rental suggestions in Florence and Rome
- 8 Help me plan Greece portion of anniversary trip
- 9 What to wear
- 10 Frecciabianca Seat Selection, please help.
- 11 Priceline for London hotels
- 12 Scotland: Scone Game Day vs St. Andrews?
- 13 Ireland itinerary
- 14 Where Would You Add Two Days - Tuscany & CT Itinerary
- 15 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 16 Fjords, How To?
- 17 Istanbul Itinerary
- 18 2 Weeks in Italy - In Less than 2 Weeks!
- 19 Restaurants In Istanbul, Urgup, Ephesus and Alacati
- 20 Mephisto Shoes in Paris
- 21 non-touristy in Umbria or Tuscany?
- 22 avoiding stuffy and inflexible service at nice european resorts
- 23 What is the LEAST expensive way to see the interior of Opera Garnier?
- 24 Paris 3 days and then to Burgundy for 2 weeks: Car?
- 25 Swiss Pass - Purchase Online or in-Person