I have finally made plans for what I think will be a wonderful holiday in Europe and would appreciate your thoughts on the middle section.
The itinery is as follows:
Fly from Australia to Venice arriving mid afternoon and stay for 7 nights in an apartment (La Rosa de Venezia). Booked and confirmed.
Fly Venice to Geneva in Switzerland arriving again in the afternoon, pick up a car and drive to Chamonix (?) for overnight and to arrive in Zermatt the next day. The flights are booked and this night is open allowing for delays and for the stress of driving on the wrong side of the road ! The car hire is a must, my hubby doesnt want to use trains and it is his only request for the holiday.
I have booked 2 nights in Zermatt, 3 in Lauterbrunnen and then 2 in Weggis. These can be changed if necessary). We have been to Lucerne and Zurich briefly before. Switzerland is all about the scenery this time. Is this a reasonable schedule?
From there I have a week open to drive to Belguim. I was thinking of going through Luxembourg and onto the Netherlands (Eindhoven, Arnhem for war history sites for hubby) and across to Belgium from there. We have been to Amsterdam before and have no real desire to go back.
I have booked 3 nights in Bruge to use as a base and 2 in Brussels. Leave car on arrival in Brussels.
I have plans to book the Thalys train from Brussels to Paris (cant do yet >90 days) and have booked and confirmed an apartment in Paris near the Louvre for a week.
From there its a stop over in Dubai for 4 nights and back home to Australia. All up its just short of 6 weeks including flights.
Does anyone have any suggestions for the middle driving week? I havent found a lot about Luxembourg on the net but Trier in Germany doesnt look too far out of the way and could be interesting. Is is worth visiting Lichtenstein for a night or two after Weggis and before heading north?
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 2 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 3 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 4 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 5 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 6 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 7 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 8 OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!
- 9 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 10 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 11 From the Riviera to Rome: Two Terrific Weeks in Italy
- 12 Planning A trip
- 13 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 14 Driving through Paris
- 15 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 16 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 17 ASTURIAS IN LATE OCTOBER??
- 18 Bruges
- 19 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 20 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 21 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 22 Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Praiano
- 23 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 24 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
- 25 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish