I have finally made plans for what I think will be a wonderful holiday in Europe and would appreciate your thoughts on the middle section.
The itinery is as follows:
Fly from Australia to Venice arriving mid afternoon and stay for 7 nights in an apartment (La Rosa de Venezia). Booked and confirmed.
Fly Venice to Geneva in Switzerland arriving again in the afternoon, pick up a car and drive to Chamonix (?) for overnight and to arrive in Zermatt the next day. The flights are booked and this night is open allowing for delays and for the stress of driving on the wrong side of the road ! The car hire is a must, my hubby doesnt want to use trains and it is his only request for the holiday.
I have booked 2 nights in Zermatt, 3 in Lauterbrunnen and then 2 in Weggis. These can be changed if necessary). We have been to Lucerne and Zurich briefly before. Switzerland is all about the scenery this time. Is this a reasonable schedule?
From there I have a week open to drive to Belguim. I was thinking of going through Luxembourg and onto the Netherlands (Eindhoven, Arnhem for war history sites for hubby) and across to Belgium from there. We have been to Amsterdam before and have no real desire to go back.
I have booked 3 nights in Bruge to use as a base and 2 in Brussels. Leave car on arrival in Brussels.
I have plans to book the Thalys train from Brussels to Paris (cant do yet >90 days) and have booked and confirmed an apartment in Paris near the Louvre for a week.
From there its a stop over in Dubai for 4 nights and back home to Australia. All up its just short of 6 weeks including flights.
Does anyone have any suggestions for the middle driving week? I havent found a lot about Luxembourg on the net but Trier in Germany doesnt look too far out of the way and could be interesting. Is is worth visiting Lichtenstein for a night or two after Weggis and before heading north?
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Nonstop from Belfast to ...???
- 2 Help me celebrate my daughter's 10th Birthday in Austria!
- 3 Greek island cruise or self tour
- 4 Advice on long week trip to Germany
- 5 Bucket list trip to Ireland - need so much help!
- 6 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 7 Thinking of ROME? Really???
- 8 Awe inspiring on the Amalfi Coast....an Albergo "Clash of the Titans"
- 9 Is there any dog-sledding in the Bernese Oberland?
- 10 Travel Plan during Christmas in Italy
- 11 Giverny vs. Versailles
- 12 Need Help Planning a 19 day visit to Ireland
- 13 Trip Help: 3-4 weeks in July
- 14 Trip to France (Provence, Languedoc/Roussillon) - a quick summary
- 15 Advice on Transportation - Berlin
- 16 Italo Trains - good news
- 17 MaiTaiTom's "Insane For Spain" - 2015
- 18 Stockholm+Copenhagen or Amsterdam + Ghent + Brugge in July
- 19 14 Days in Portugal - Help with Itinerary
- 20 Rental Cars and paying the electronic tolls in Portugal
- 21 A month in northern Italy: Mountains, Lakes and Castles
- 22 ICELAND DAY 1
- 23 Rome
- 24 Holding bags in Paris
- 25 Your favorite Paris shopping street.