I have finally made plans for what I think will be a wonderful holiday in Europe and would appreciate your thoughts on the middle section.
The itinery is as follows:
Fly from Australia to Venice arriving mid afternoon and stay for 7 nights in an apartment (La Rosa de Venezia). Booked and confirmed.
Fly Venice to Geneva in Switzerland arriving again in the afternoon, pick up a car and drive to Chamonix (?) for overnight and to arrive in Zermatt the next day. The flights are booked and this night is open allowing for delays and for the stress of driving on the wrong side of the road ! The car hire is a must, my hubby doesnt want to use trains and it is his only request for the holiday.
I have booked 2 nights in Zermatt, 3 in Lauterbrunnen and then 2 in Weggis. These can be changed if necessary). We have been to Lucerne and Zurich briefly before. Switzerland is all about the scenery this time. Is this a reasonable schedule?
From there I have a week open to drive to Belguim. I was thinking of going through Luxembourg and onto the Netherlands (Eindhoven, Arnhem for war history sites for hubby) and across to Belgium from there. We have been to Amsterdam before and have no real desire to go back.
I have booked 3 nights in Bruge to use as a base and 2 in Brussels. Leave car on arrival in Brussels.
I have plans to book the Thalys train from Brussels to Paris (cant do yet >90 days) and have booked and confirmed an apartment in Paris near the Louvre for a week.
From there its a stop over in Dubai for 4 nights and back home to Australia. All up its just short of 6 weeks including flights.
Does anyone have any suggestions for the middle driving week? I havent found a lot about Luxembourg on the net but Trier in Germany doesnt look too far out of the way and could be interesting. Is is worth visiting Lichtenstein for a night or two after Weggis and before heading north?
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Suggestions please -fine tuning 5 weeks in Europe
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scotland November 2015
- 2 Transportation from Athens Airport to Syntagma
- 3 Southern Spain
- 4 Five Nights in Budapest: A Quick Winter Getaway
- 5 Euro Trivia Quiz #12 - Know Your Rivers?
- 6 2 weeks Bavaria - December 2015
- 7 Taxi or Tube from LHR to Gloucester Road Tube?
- 8 Ireland / N Ireland Chauffer/Guide
- 9 1 week in the Cyclades
- 10 Since Paris is ALWAYS good idea
- 11 Recommended overnight stops on Iceland ring road
- 12 Hotel or B&B Recommendations for Chamonix, Lyon & Paris
- 13 Ireland / N Ireland clothing recommendations
- 14 N Ireland / Ireland driving
- 15 London Experts - What do you think of this apartment?
- 16 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 17 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 18 Schengen Visa Rules
- 19 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 20 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 21 Small Towns Spain(Catalonia,LaRioja,Navarra,Basque)w/ trip to Bordeaux
- 22 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 23 England's Ruined Abbeys
- 24 London - Paris - Venice - Rome in 21 Days
- 25 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe