I have finally made plans for what I think will be a wonderful holiday in Europe and would appreciate your thoughts on the middle section.
The itinery is as follows:
Fly from Australia to Venice arriving mid afternoon and stay for 7 nights in an apartment (La Rosa de Venezia). Booked and confirmed.
Fly Venice to Geneva in Switzerland arriving again in the afternoon, pick up a car and drive to Chamonix (?) for overnight and to arrive in Zermatt the next day. The flights are booked and this night is open allowing for delays and for the stress of driving on the wrong side of the road ! The car hire is a must, my hubby doesnt want to use trains and it is his only request for the holiday.
I have booked 2 nights in Zermatt, 3 in Lauterbrunnen and then 2 in Weggis. These can be changed if necessary). We have been to Lucerne and Zurich briefly before. Switzerland is all about the scenery this time. Is this a reasonable schedule?
From there I have a week open to drive to Belguim. I was thinking of going through Luxembourg and onto the Netherlands (Eindhoven, Arnhem for war history sites for hubby) and across to Belgium from there. We have been to Amsterdam before and have no real desire to go back.
I have booked 3 nights in Bruge to use as a base and 2 in Brussels. Leave car on arrival in Brussels.
I have plans to book the Thalys train from Brussels to Paris (cant do yet >90 days) and have booked and confirmed an apartment in Paris near the Louvre for a week.
From there its a stop over in Dubai for 4 nights and back home to Australia. All up its just short of 6 weeks including flights.
Does anyone have any suggestions for the middle driving week? I havent found a lot about Luxembourg on the net but Trier in Germany doesnt look too far out of the way and could be interesting. Is is worth visiting Lichtenstein for a night or two after Weggis and before heading north?
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 TR: Solo in DUBLIN for BLOOMSDAY, an Irish literary odyssey
- 2 Georgia
- 3 From Schipol to ?
- 4 Germany at Christmas
- 5 15 hour layover in London with children, should we leave the airport?
- 6 British Airways, anyone?
- 7 Istanbul to budapest
- 8 overnight ferries?
- 9 Hotel Lorelei et Londres, Sorrento. Whatever happened to it?
- 10 Madrid Hotel - Help me choose between these 2!
- 11 Hotel Royal St Honore - Paris in August
- 12 (Frankfurt Airport) Immigration, Luggage & S Bahn at Regional Bahnhoff
- 13 Questions about Flamenco in Madrid
- 14 17 Days Honeymoon in Italy and France
- 15 MaiTaiTom's "Insane For Spain" - 2015
- 16 Beautiful Ireland: a 3-week solo journey.
- 17 iPHone 6 use in Paris, with ATT?
- 18 Small-group day tours from London?
- 19 Help with itineray to Madrid-Seville-Granada
- 20 London: favorite recent exhibits?
- 21 ?Prague, Wroclaw, Krakow & Vienna???
- 22 Back from a great trip !!
- 23 Rink oh Kerry or Dinglr
- 24 What to do in Dublin/ Waterford in 1 day
- 25 What am I doing wrong?