I just got back from Italy a month ago and am already thinking about where I want to go in 2012. My friend lives in Regensburg, 90 min train from Munich. Our other friend is planning to meet me in the area for Oktoberfest, join us on the way to Prague and fly home. My German friend and I will probably continue on to Dresden, from where he will go home and I will head to Berlin by myself. So here is what I've got so far:
9/19 Fly out of Austin to Munich
9/20 Arrive in Munich, head to Regensburg to stay at my friend's apartment
9/21-9/26 6-7 nights in Regensburg & Munich - considering staying in Munich part of the time (3 days?), as it seems rather difficult to see lots of sights with a 3 hour round trip commute to Regensburg. However it is very expensive in Munich at this time of year, but it costs 40 euros RT per day just to get to Munich and back if I choose to stay in Regensburg (on an air mattress or couch), so I am not entirely opposed to staying in Munich for part of the time. I have a fleeting interest in Oktoberfest but probably not more than spending a couple hours there one day. I just really do not want drunk Americans throwing up on me or screaming in the alleys while I'm trying to sleep...?
-Sights in the area I am interested in: Nuremburg, Landshut, Bamberg Freising, Weltenburg Monastery, Walhalla Temple, Passau, Straubing, Neushwanstein/Lindehof, Hohenschwangau, Englisch Garten, Nyphemburg Palace, Andechs Monastery, Herrenchiemsee, Residenz Palace, Deutsches Museum...please help eliminate some of these as I do not have time!
9/27-9/30 - 3-4 nights in Prague with 1 day trip to Kutna Hora
9/30-10/2 - 2 nights in Dresden
10/2-10/6 - 4-5 nights in Berlin - apartment in Prenzlauer Berg - Eastside Gallery, Gemaldegalerie, Reichstag, Brandenburg Gate, Scholss Charlottenburg, Deutsche Museum, Museum Island (full day, open til 10 pm Thursday), Berliner Dom, classical music concert, shopping, possible Postdam day trip...I wish I had a week for Berlin as I love art and history!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Nightlife in Rome (Alone)
- 2 paris hotel easy commute to Palais de Congres
- 3 Lonely Planet‘s Best in Europe list-your thoughts please
- 4 3 nights in Madrid
- 5 Very British Neighborhood in London
- 6 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 7 Seville to Cordoba
- 8 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 9 London Hotel - Different Request
- 10 Nice to Cinque Terre where to stay.
- 11 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 12 Paris Favorites (the 11th & wine regions)
- 13 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 14 London 6 day itinerary
- 15 Rome-Switzerland-Paris-Rome 2 week trip
- 16 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 17 Kayak = Priceline and unavailable flights?
- 18 Our recent CDG experience (Delta)
- 19 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 20 Cycling Nice into Italy along the coast
- 21 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, aperitivo in Milan, Turin, Piedmont
- 22 Sim Cards
- 23 Paris then Italy? Or Greece?
- 24 London in Winter Report
- 25 Portugal rental car