I just got back from Italy a month ago and am already thinking about where I want to go in 2012. My friend lives in Regensburg, 90 min train from Munich. Our other friend is planning to meet me in the area for Oktoberfest, join us on the way to Prague and fly home. My German friend and I will probably continue on to Dresden, from where he will go home and I will head to Berlin by myself. So here is what I've got so far:
9/19 Fly out of Austin to Munich
9/20 Arrive in Munich, head to Regensburg to stay at my friend's apartment
9/21-9/26 6-7 nights in Regensburg & Munich - considering staying in Munich part of the time (3 days?), as it seems rather difficult to see lots of sights with a 3 hour round trip commute to Regensburg. However it is very expensive in Munich at this time of year, but it costs 40 euros RT per day just to get to Munich and back if I choose to stay in Regensburg (on an air mattress or couch), so I am not entirely opposed to staying in Munich for part of the time. I have a fleeting interest in Oktoberfest but probably not more than spending a couple hours there one day. I just really do not want drunk Americans throwing up on me or screaming in the alleys while I'm trying to sleep...?
-Sights in the area I am interested in: Nuremburg, Landshut, Bamberg Freising, Weltenburg Monastery, Walhalla Temple, Passau, Straubing, Neushwanstein/Lindehof, Hohenschwangau, Englisch Garten, Nyphemburg Palace, Andechs Monastery, Herrenchiemsee, Residenz Palace, Deutsches Museum...please help eliminate some of these as I do not have time!
9/27-9/30 - 3-4 nights in Prague with 1 day trip to Kutna Hora
9/30-10/2 - 2 nights in Dresden
10/2-10/6 - 4-5 nights in Berlin - apartment in Prenzlauer Berg - Eastside Gallery, Gemaldegalerie, Reichstag, Brandenburg Gate, Scholss Charlottenburg, Deutsche Museum, Museum Island (full day, open til 10 pm Thursday), Berliner Dom, classical music concert, shopping, possible Postdam day trip...I wish I had a week for Berlin as I love art and history!!
Suggestions on Munich-Prague-Dresden-Berlin in 16 days?
- 1 London at Xmas
- 2 Do I Need A Visa for London?
- 3 Wife's first trip to Europe. Set on Paris & Rome, Need 3rd destination?
- 4 Bank of England Museum
- 5 Need restaurant suggestions for Chipping Camden!
- 6 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 7 Anyone used Rive Gauche Rive Droit, or worked with William Royer?
- 8 separate beds in Frankfurt and Munich
- 9 Eiffel tower tickets- June8-15 will I need to queue?
- 10 Help needed with ratp site for Paris bus and metro
- 11 Motor Home North Italy Route Suggestions
- 12 France bed and breakfasts and restaurants in Provence, Vaison La Romaine, Uzès, Paris
- 13 East coast trains
- 14 Florence Day Trip to Sienna: should we stop along the way? Where?
- 15 London Itinerary Advice 6-10 September
- 16 Which tour company would be best?
- 17 First night after arriving in Milan
- 18 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 19 Help with Itinerary for Marseille/Provence trip in September
- 20 France by rail or car?
- 21 Planning my days in Paris
- 22 Suggestions for Istanbul Stayover
- 23 Cinque Terre or Lake Como August - 3 nights
- 24 Otherchelebi and others in Istanbul
- 25 New & Improved 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary Italy