I just got back from Italy a month ago and am already thinking about where I want to go in 2012. My friend lives in Regensburg, 90 min train from Munich. Our other friend is planning to meet me in the area for Oktoberfest, join us on the way to Prague and fly home. My German friend and I will probably continue on to Dresden, from where he will go home and I will head to Berlin by myself. So here is what I've got so far:
9/19 Fly out of Austin to Munich
9/20 Arrive in Munich, head to Regensburg to stay at my friend's apartment
9/21-9/26 6-7 nights in Regensburg & Munich - considering staying in Munich part of the time (3 days?), as it seems rather difficult to see lots of sights with a 3 hour round trip commute to Regensburg. However it is very expensive in Munich at this time of year, but it costs 40 euros RT per day just to get to Munich and back if I choose to stay in Regensburg (on an air mattress or couch), so I am not entirely opposed to staying in Munich for part of the time. I have a fleeting interest in Oktoberfest but probably not more than spending a couple hours there one day. I just really do not want drunk Americans throwing up on me or screaming in the alleys while I'm trying to sleep...?
-Sights in the area I am interested in: Nuremburg, Landshut, Bamberg Freising, Weltenburg Monastery, Walhalla Temple, Passau, Straubing, Neushwanstein/Lindehof, Hohenschwangau, Englisch Garten, Nyphemburg Palace, Andechs Monastery, Herrenchiemsee, Residenz Palace, Deutsches Museum...please help eliminate some of these as I do not have time!
9/27-9/30 - 3-4 nights in Prague with 1 day trip to Kutna Hora
9/30-10/2 - 2 nights in Dresden
10/2-10/6 - 4-5 nights in Berlin - apartment in Prenzlauer Berg - Eastside Gallery, Gemaldegalerie, Reichstag, Brandenburg Gate, Scholss Charlottenburg, Deutsche Museum, Museum Island (full day, open til 10 pm Thursday), Berliner Dom, classical music concert, shopping, possible Postdam day trip...I wish I had a week for Berlin as I love art and history!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Schegen Question- Leaving w/Visa and Reentry as Tourist
- 2 Paris food tours?
- 3 10-day Itinerary Shannon to Southwest and West Ireland
- 4 Iceland tour, first time - advice appreciated!
- 5 Trip to Paris and Switzerland.
- 6 Paris Vacation Rentals in 2015
- 7 Advice on best area to stay in Barcelona
- 8 Paris tipping hotel maids
- 9 Women's semi-stylish, comfortable shoes?
- 10 Restaurant recommendation in Lisbon
- 11 2 hrs from landing in FCO to FCO direct to Florence
- 12 Spain and around that for 2 weeks
- 13 Restaurant recommendations in Cascais Portugal
- 14 Greece and Turkey next summer - are we crazy?
- 15 A great read for anyone visiting the UK.
- 16 Comfortable Shoes for Men and for Women
- 17 Return to Paris after 15 Years
- 18 Adam Gopnik loses his phone in Paris
- 19 Walking the Cotswolds
- 20 Do I need a debit/PiIN card in England?
- 21 My summer in Paris
- 22 Comments, please about these Rome apartments
- 23 Basque Region and Rioja in December
- 24 Looking for place to stop on way to Rome from Amalfi
- 25 3 wks touring Sicily, what not to miss?