I just got back from Italy a month ago and am already thinking about where I want to go in 2012. My friend lives in Regensburg, 90 min train from Munich. Our other friend is planning to meet me in the area for Oktoberfest, join us on the way to Prague and fly home. My German friend and I will probably continue on to Dresden, from where he will go home and I will head to Berlin by myself. So here is what I've got so far:
9/19 Fly out of Austin to Munich
9/20 Arrive in Munich, head to Regensburg to stay at my friend's apartment
9/21-9/26 6-7 nights in Regensburg & Munich - considering staying in Munich part of the time (3 days?), as it seems rather difficult to see lots of sights with a 3 hour round trip commute to Regensburg. However it is very expensive in Munich at this time of year, but it costs 40 euros RT per day just to get to Munich and back if I choose to stay in Regensburg (on an air mattress or couch), so I am not entirely opposed to staying in Munich for part of the time. I have a fleeting interest in Oktoberfest but probably not more than spending a couple hours there one day. I just really do not want drunk Americans throwing up on me or screaming in the alleys while I'm trying to sleep...?
-Sights in the area I am interested in: Nuremburg, Landshut, Bamberg Freising, Weltenburg Monastery, Walhalla Temple, Passau, Straubing, Neushwanstein/Lindehof, Hohenschwangau, Englisch Garten, Nyphemburg Palace, Andechs Monastery, Herrenchiemsee, Residenz Palace, Deutsches Museum...please help eliminate some of these as I do not have time!
9/27-9/30 - 3-4 nights in Prague with 1 day trip to Kutna Hora
9/30-10/2 - 2 nights in Dresden
10/2-10/6 - 4-5 nights in Berlin - apartment in Prenzlauer Berg - Eastside Gallery, Gemaldegalerie, Reichstag, Brandenburg Gate, Scholss Charlottenburg, Deutsche Museum, Museum Island (full day, open til 10 pm Thursday), Berliner Dom, classical music concert, shopping, possible Postdam day trip...I wish I had a week for Berlin as I love art and history!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 2 A weekend in Jurassic Coast
- 3 How to ask for glass or carafe of tap water in Portuguese
- 4 Letter from the Belgian Embassy
- 5 Amalfi Coast by Car
- 6 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 7 Where in Europe for 15 full days from 21 Oct to 6 Nov 2016?
- 8 Breakfast: London
- 9 Italy: your favorite national park?
- 10 5 minutes to change trains in La Spezia???
- 11 What is your favorite travel app?
- 12 PLITVICE LAKES
- 13 Porto Portugal Hotels
- 14 5 Irish in Amsterdam, Dresden, Berlin
- 15 France and Switzerland in 15 days
- 16 Berlin to Barcelona
- 17 Is it safe to take train from CDG by 10 PM?
- 18 Camino Redux
- 19 Venice, September 2016, a trip report (sort of).
- 20 Day trips from Amsterdam
- 21 Macedonia, Greece
- 22 worthy or no?
- 23 Switzerland, Austria, Prague and Munich
- 24 Non-alcoholic drinks to try in Andalusia
- 25 Seville bus information