I have a rather long-winded question and would appreciate any feedback or advice I am planning on studying abroad through a program for one semester in France from 08/31/13-12/22/13 and then continuing on for another semester in Spain from 01/07/2013-05/20/2013. I have already received my VISA to study in France for the entire period but I am having some difficulty deciding on the best plan of action to receive my Spanish student VISA. I understand that you not supposed to apply for or receive a VISA from another country when you are outside of your home country (U.S.) but I am out of options. The program I am studying with offers group VISA submissions for Spain. The problem is that you cannot apply for a student VISA to Spain more than 90 DAYS IN ADVANCE of the day you intend to arrive in Spain, which in my case would be 12/23/13. The time for group submissions will probably be in October sometime.
Option 1: During my time in France, attempt to apply for my Spanish student VISA through the group submission process by having my mother in the U.S. submit all of my required documents and passport to the program coordinator and have my mother mail me my (hopefully stamped) passport. Will this be an issue if the Spanish consulate sees that I have an active VISA for France for the time that I am applying for a Spanish VISA?
Option 2: If option 1 is not viable, would it be possible for me to enter and study in Spain on the U.S. tourist VISA for the approximately four and a half month period by staying in Spain for less than 90 days, leaving the Schengen area and then re-entering a few days later to complete my studies?
Thank you for your time and I look forward to any advice. This is becoming really stressful and my study abroad program has pretty much left it up to me to figure this out. NOTE: I have attempted e-mailing and calling both the Spanish and French Consulates in my jurisdiction and five weeks later, have yet to receive a response.
Studying abroad in France and Spain VISA question
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How to decide where to go in Europe
- 2 Northern Europe in April-May
- 3 Iwango went…to Nice
- 4 A Duty Nobly Done — Anselm and Margriet in Flanders and Picardy
- 5 “… I fear’d to set my foot upon a dead man’s cheek” - Anselm in northern France
- 6 Help ... bus from Cappadocia (Kayseri) to Antalya or Fethiye
- 7 Brisighella or Castelvetro di Modena Lodgings in Emilia Romagna
- 8 For those interested in visiting WW I sites in France
- 9 Airport ATMs
- 10 caroline_venezia
- 11 Upgrading second class Swiss pass to first class for individual train rides
- 12 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 13 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 14 8 Days in Switzerland for the non skier
- 15 Help with itinerary for girls trip to Swizterland
- 16 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 17 First time to Switzerland
- 18 Visiting the Azores Islands (Portugal) LOVELY LOVELY Experiences
- 19 Italy dolomites
- 20 6 additional days starting from Munich in April - recommendations?
- 21 Euro Trivia Quiz #16
- 22 First time Ireland trip
- 23 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 24 Switzerland help...?
- 25 Best Area to Stay in Amsterdam