I have a rather long-winded question and would appreciate any feedback or advice I am planning on studying abroad through a program for one semester in France from 08/31/13-12/22/13 and then continuing on for another semester in Spain from 01/07/2013-05/20/2013. I have already received my VISA to study in France for the entire period but I am having some difficulty deciding on the best plan of action to receive my Spanish student VISA. I understand that you not supposed to apply for or receive a VISA from another country when you are outside of your home country (U.S.) but I am out of options. The program I am studying with offers group VISA submissions for Spain. The problem is that you cannot apply for a student VISA to Spain more than 90 DAYS IN ADVANCE of the day you intend to arrive in Spain, which in my case would be 12/23/13. The time for group submissions will probably be in October sometime.
Option 1: During my time in France, attempt to apply for my Spanish student VISA through the group submission process by having my mother in the U.S. submit all of my required documents and passport to the program coordinator and have my mother mail me my (hopefully stamped) passport. Will this be an issue if the Spanish consulate sees that I have an active VISA for France for the time that I am applying for a Spanish VISA?
Option 2: If option 1 is not viable, would it be possible for me to enter and study in Spain on the U.S. tourist VISA for the approximately four and a half month period by staying in Spain for less than 90 days, leaving the Schengen area and then re-entering a few days later to complete my studies?
Thank you for your time and I look forward to any advice. This is becoming really stressful and my study abroad program has pretty much left it up to me to figure this out. NOTE: I have attempted e-mailing and calling both the Spanish and French Consulates in my jurisdiction and five weeks later, have yet to receive a response.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Stay in Multalcino or Montepulciano
- 2 What to wear visiting England and France during winter?
- 3 Swiss trains/Basel to Zurich
- 4 Flights from Croatia
- 5 Europe in late January
- 6 Will I need air conditioning near Lucca in early July?
- 7 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 8 Looking for the Holy Grail... in a Tour of Italy
- 9 Cote d'Azure & Aix In need of your expertise-10 days in May
- 10 Sent a postcard recently from Italy?
- 11 Best European Cities for Walking Challenged
- 12 Getting from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes
- 13 Europe in the Winter for a week
- 14 Paris---baguette question???
- 15 Suggestions for Drive to Milan
- 16 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 17 Need help with train service Bologna, Rimini, Rome
- 18 First Time Europe Itinerary 8 Weeks
- 19 Madrid - time to allow for train
- 20 Scenic Driving Routes
- 21 Vienna to Bratislava
- 22 Venice - suggestions for hotels just after Easter - mid-April 2017.
- 23 1 way ticket
- 24 Chip and Sign credit cards usage in europe
- 25 pareja de hecho in Spain