I've got a Type D French student visa that expires on June 20th 2016. I've been on my year abroad in Paris and I would like to stay in France over the summer before returning to London to complete my final year at university.
I'm from Trinidad and Tobago and I no longer need a visa for the Schengen zone since Trinidad signed a visa waiver with the EU last year. However, I'm assuming that once my French student visa runs out, I can't automatically transform from student into tourist and I obviously don't want to overstay the student visa.
So far I've called the OFII office (where I had to register when I got here) and they were no help. The French embassy in London doesn't deal with visa matters anymore as they've outsourced it to a private company so no help there. I flew to London last weekend for an event and asked the border control officer when I re-entered France but he also wasn't able to help.
All I can think to do is to leave France around June 19th just before my visa expires and go to London. Then I can re-enter France shortly after as a visitor. Does anybody know if this will be alright? I'd like to be sure that I have all the relevant stamps in my passport so I'm not seen as having overstayed the student visa. Much thanks in advance for your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 2 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris
- 3 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 4 days and times when museums and suchlike close
- 5 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 6 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 7 Paris Metro
- 8 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 9 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 10 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 11 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 12 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 13 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 14 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 15 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 16 getting to CDG
- 17 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 18 Cambrils
- 19 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 20 Amalfi Coast help
- 21 CDG airport and connection time
- 22 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 23 Day trip to Montserrat - any tips?
- 24 Amalfi coast hotel recs
- 25 solo guy traveling to europe help please