My husband and I driving from the Loire Valley (Amboise) to Avignon this September. We'd like to break up the 7-8 hour trip halfway and stay overnight. Michelin recommends the quickest route down to Clermont-Ferrand then east along A89 / E70 through to St Etienne.
Any recommendations for pretty towns to stay in? It looks like Thiers is about the halfway point. I've looked at the beautiful villages map (http://www.les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france.org/) but no towns seem perfect in terms of scheduling...
It's our first time in France, so be gentle We don't really know what's around but I'm trying to research like crazy. This forum is great. Thanks for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help
- 2 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 3 When to buy airline? & booking seats
- 4 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 5 Southern Germany - a base for travel
- 6 Travelogue: Copenhagen with Kids
- 7 getting to CDG
- 8 Please help with 12 days in England!
- 9 A Month stay in Southern France
- 10 Greece...so many options! (11 days)
- 11 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 12 Revised itinerary for italy
- 13 3 days in Ortygia Sicily
- 14 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 15 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 16 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 17 Hotel in Vienna
- 18 Places of interest
- 19 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 20 Switzerland in November?
- 21 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 22 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 23 vienna
- 24 Itinerary? Mystras? Stay over or stay in Nafplion
- 25 Ireland and Scotland in July
Stopover in Puy-de-Dôme area: driving from Loire Valley to Provence?