My husband and I driving from the Loire Valley (Amboise) to Avignon this September. We'd like to break up the 7-8 hour trip halfway and stay overnight. Michelin recommends the quickest route down to Clermont-Ferrand then east along A89 / E70 through to St Etienne.
Any recommendations for pretty towns to stay in? It looks like Thiers is about the halfway point. I've looked at the beautiful villages map (http://www.les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france.org/) but no towns seem perfect in terms of scheduling...
It's our first time in France, so be gentle We don't really know what's around but I'm trying to research like crazy. This forum is great. Thanks for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris day trips August
- 2 Transportation from Brno train station
- 3 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 4 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 5 Rare Curiosity-Piquing Photos From Rome + Thank You
- 6 FOCUS ON FRANCE: Paris and South of France
- 7 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 8 Itinerary check for Sicily, please!!
- 9 Wimbledon Debenture tickets
- 10 4 Days in Amalfi in April - Without a car??
- 11 Venice, Florence - too many museums.
- 12 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 13 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 14 We're here!
- 15 10 days in Paris and......
- 16 AIR BERLIN SALE
- 17 Moving to Italy
- 18 Sardinia-too busy early/mid July??
- 19 WB Harry Potter Studios Sold Out
- 20 airports near Delphi or Kalabaka
- 21 Input desired concerning my Sicily itinerary
- 22 Spain in July
- 23 Rick Steves Alternatives
- 24 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 25 Lisbon-mini trip report
Stopover in Puy-de-Dôme area: driving from Loire Valley to Provence?