My husband and I driving from the Loire Valley (Amboise) to Avignon this September. We'd like to break up the 7-8 hour trip halfway and stay overnight. Michelin recommends the quickest route down to Clermont-Ferrand then east along A89 / E70 through to St Etienne.
Any recommendations for pretty towns to stay in? It looks like Thiers is about the halfway point. I've looked at the beautiful villages map (http://www.les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france.org/) but no towns seem perfect in terms of scheduling...
It's our first time in France, so be gentle We don't really know what's around but I'm trying to research like crazy. This forum is great. Thanks for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://www.shtylm.com/pure-force-x/
- 2 Help with 12 day UK Itinerary!
- 3 A bit overwhelmed!!!
- 4 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 5 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 6 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 7 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 8 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 9 UK or France or elsewhere, July 2018, good price from west coast?
- 10 Norwegian Air?
- 11 Norway in a nutshell in Winter Itinerary
- 12 Barcelona rental for two couples??
- 13 Highclare Castle
- 14 Trip Report: Denmark, 2017
- 15 Florence hotels: JK Place vs. Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni
- 16 Suggestions for 3 greek islands
- 17 Salzburg itinerary review
- 18 Cash and Czech Crowns
- 19 Harry Potter, London Theater
- 20 Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch
- 21 Wine visits from Barcelona
- 22 Request Hotel Suggestion in London
- 23 Travelling to Russia during FIFA
- 24 Spain: train/rental car help
- 25 Athens hotel with Acropolis view from room/balcony
Stopover in Puy-de-Dôme area: driving from Loire Valley to Provence?