My husband and I driving from the Loire Valley (Amboise) to Avignon this September. We'd like to break up the 7-8 hour trip halfway and stay overnight. Michelin recommends the quickest route down to Clermont-Ferrand then east along A89 / E70 through to St Etienne.
Any recommendations for pretty towns to stay in? It looks like Thiers is about the halfway point. I've looked at the beautiful villages map (http://www.les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france.org/) but no towns seem perfect in terms of scheduling...
It's our first time in France, so be gentle We don't really know what's around but I'm trying to research like crazy. This forum is great. Thanks for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ireland base towns (and timing) - Connemara/W. Cork?
- 2 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 3 Need advice on multi-day, multi-museum private tours in Paris
- 4 Where in Greece
- 5 paris hotel easy commute to Palais de Congres
- 6 Help with Scotland Itinerary
- 7 Getting to Eilean Donan Castle
- 8 Cap Ferrat, Antibe, Luberon?
- 9 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 10 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 11 Visiting Positano and Amalfi
- 12 Vatican tour
- 13 Has the Paris Museum Pass lost its luster?
- 14 Day in Capri
- 15 alcazar question and seville advice
- 16 TSA Precheck
- 17 Roma...any ideas for exploration?
- 18 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 19 First visit to London
- 20 Paris travel help
- 21 Is Dalamatian Coast similar to Amalfi Coast in terms of travel logistics?
- 22 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 23 Paris..The St. Germain area.
- 24 Rome hotel
- 25 Villa in Italy
Stopover in Puy-de-Dôme area: driving from Loire Valley to Provence?