If you plan to do a "Special Access "tour of Stonehenge - you should book it with Pat Shelley of Salisbury Guided tours. The regular special access gives you only access to the stones and some general info - with Pat, you get an in depth understanding both of what is known about Stonehenge and much of what is surmised. Without Pat's input, we would have been wandering among the stones without the depth of feeling that we all experienced as the history unfolded in his narrative. My daughters and I were winding up a two week tour of Europe and once we left our group tour in London, we caught the train to Salisbury. I had visited Stonehenge many years ago when I was my daughters age, and I wanted them to have the same opportunity. Our special access was at night and we also visited Durrington Walls, Woodhenge and had an overview of the barrows and other features in the area. Pat is very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about his subject and loves to share that knowledge with others. In spite of his obvious mastery of the intricacies of the history, his communication style is very relaxed and easily understood. Even though it was early June, it got quite chilly in the evening and I recommend both wind proof jackets and gloves for maximum comfort. Also recommend good walking shoes as Pat wants you to get up close and personal with the various features. One special aspect of the private tours is that you can get photos from many sides and from the inner circle - and with such small numbers allowed in - you don't see other people in your photos unless you wish to. We also saw a lovely sunset. Highly recommend this tour - it was worth every penny. Both of my teenage daughters said it was the best ending we could have had to our tour of Europe. Pat also gives exceptional tours of Salisbury.
Stonehenge Special Access
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cylades Island Hopping
- 2 Alternate base to Frankfurt
- 3 7 Nights in Paris
- 4 Crete, Rhodes... or?
- 5 South of Spain in late September - cities/areas?
- 6 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 7 All Set To Go!!
- 8 Normandy and Loire
- 9 Huge New 5,000 Year Old Underground City Excavated in Cappadocia
- 10 By train to and out of Prague
- 11 Rome Trip Report -- Nov 1-8
- 12 Northern Italy Itinerary Help
- 13 Trip Report -- Just Back From Spain
- 14 Northern Europe in April-May
- 15 Lake Como transportation questions
- 16 Budget Trip to Europe | 22, 23-yr old | June 2015
- 17 Ring of Kerry: worth doing "whole loop"?
- 18 Looking for advice on Christmas Market trip (Germany)
- 19 history museums or locations
- 20 Train Travel from Marseilles to Barcelona
- 21 Granada
- 22 caroline_venezia
- 23 Travelling from Paris to Madrid
- 24 Garmisch Partenkirchen Christmas packing list
- 25 5 Observations About Paris