If you plan to do a "Special Access "tour of Stonehenge - you should book it with Pat Shelley of Salisbury Guided tours. The regular special access gives you only access to the stones and some general info - with Pat, you get an in depth understanding both of what is known about Stonehenge and much of what is surmised. Without Pat's input, we would have been wandering among the stones without the depth of feeling that we all experienced as the history unfolded in his narrative. My daughters and I were winding up a two week tour of Europe and once we left our group tour in London, we caught the train to Salisbury. I had visited Stonehenge many years ago when I was my daughters age, and I wanted them to have the same opportunity. Our special access was at night and we also visited Durrington Walls, Woodhenge and had an overview of the barrows and other features in the area. Pat is very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about his subject and loves to share that knowledge with others. In spite of his obvious mastery of the intricacies of the history, his communication style is very relaxed and easily understood. Even though it was early June, it got quite chilly in the evening and I recommend both wind proof jackets and gloves for maximum comfort. Also recommend good walking shoes as Pat wants you to get up close and personal with the various features. One special aspect of the private tours is that you can get photos from many sides and from the inner circle - and with such small numbers allowed in - you don't see other people in your photos unless you wish to. We also saw a lovely sunset. Highly recommend this tour - it was worth every penny. Both of my teenage daughters said it was the best ending we could have had to our tour of Europe. Pat also gives exceptional tours of Salisbury.
Stonehenge Special Access
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Secure parking in Tarifa, Spain
- 2 specific question about my possible trip to europe with Schengen law
- 3 Two Bonnie Lasses: A Road Trip from Edinburgh to London
- 4 Where to leave luggage while touring Amsterdam for 10 hours
- 5 Cotswolds village base
- 6 Crete Chania and the Libyan Sea villages
- 7 Portugal end of August - Barcelos - clothing?
- 8 I booked "Paris in Winter"
- 9 Walking Tours in Rome and Florence
- 10 Should I book train tickets before I arrive in Switzerland ?
- 11 Amalfi Coast vs Greece
- 12 Confused about tipping in Swiss restaurants
- 13 Please help us maximize our time in each European city
- 14 Determing Location of FIRST BIG TRIP - Where do go in Italy?
- 15 Does this itinerary work and make sense? Help!
- 16 Netherlands Delta Works
- 17 Southern Italy without a Car
- 18 Two rail trips in Italy - buy tickets at station the day of, or rail pass?
- 19 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 20 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 21 Hotel in Rome?
- 22 Scotland trip report July 2014, chapter 1
- 23 Visit to Bath and London england
- 24 IRELAND - the driving is great: east to west, south to north!
- 25 Bus to Vietri Sul Mare?