This is my third trip to Stockholm so I wanted to get out of town and see some countryside. My husband is here on business, so we only had the weekend. We rented a car and drove inland to Mariefred and stayed and the MOST WONDERFUL B&B called "In My Garden". We were fortunate enough to get the Garden Cottage as our room. Ulrika and Stene who run this wonderful piece of heaven were gracious hosts. The room was absolutely beautiful, and the property is on the lake with wonderful views. There is a castle in Mariefred, but unfortunately as with most places like this in Sweden, it does not open for tours until the middle of May. We were able to walk around the outside, and take lots of pictures. We drove around the area during the day, and setteled into our cozy room at night. During the summer months you can take a boat from Stockholm to Mariefred which would be a great way to get there! Of course the train is available year round. The only downside is the restaurant situation. In the off season there is only one restaurant in town that is open in the evenings. The food is good, but expensive (like most restaurants here), but there is a large grocery store in town and during the summer months there are many other restaurants to choose from. All in all, we had a great, RELAXING weekend away from the city!
Stockholm sidetrip worth taking
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Travel from Split to Zadar
- 2 Fashion for larger man?
- 3 What to wear
- 4 Transportation from Airport in Reykjavik to downtown hotel
- 5 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 6 Madrid and London
- 7 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 8 Three days in Spain
- 9 Yacht trip on coast of Spain
- 10 1 week in Croatia
- 11 german rail ticket question
- 12 I Go to Pieces — An Italy Trip Report
- 13 Trip to Iceland
- 14 Amsterdam Berlin Bus companies BestBusTravel
- 15 Malmaison - how to get there from Paris
- 16 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 17 Has anyone visited Tinos?
- 18 Picasso Museum-Paris
- 19 Barcelona Airport to Las Ramblas / recommended transportation??
- 20 Fjords, How To?
- 21 16 days in Paris, not sure London or Italy? ?
- 22 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 23 London neighborhood suggestions
- 24 Interesting markets to visit in Paris
- 25 Eating in France-two new books