This is my third trip to Stockholm so I wanted to get out of town and see some countryside. My husband is here on business, so we only had the weekend. We rented a car and drove inland to Mariefred and stayed and the MOST WONDERFUL B&B called "In My Garden". We were fortunate enough to get the Garden Cottage as our room. Ulrika and Stene who run this wonderful piece of heaven were gracious hosts. The room was absolutely beautiful, and the property is on the lake with wonderful views. There is a castle in Mariefred, but unfortunately as with most places like this in Sweden, it does not open for tours until the middle of May. We were able to walk around the outside, and take lots of pictures. We drove around the area during the day, and setteled into our cozy room at night. During the summer months you can take a boat from Stockholm to Mariefred which would be a great way to get there! Of course the train is available year round. The only downside is the restaurant situation. In the off season there is only one restaurant in town that is open in the evenings. The food is good, but expensive (like most restaurants here), but there is a large grocery store in town and during the summer months there are many other restaurants to choose from. All in all, we had a great, RELAXING weekend away from the city!
Stockholm sidetrip worth taking
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 2 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?
- 3 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 4 a week in Ireland over New year's
- 5 Euro Train
- 6 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 7 Planning 4 nights S / SE of London for my parents in their late 60s
- 8 Spain - Andalucia
- 9 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 10 One more last question on Bayeux
- 11 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 12 banger rally around europe?
- 13 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 14 Spain Train Reservations - Seat assignment
- 15 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 16 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 17 Backpacking Europe beginners questions!
- 18 Revised itinerary needs approval
- 19 Turkey Experts: Need Itinerary help - mostly with order of trip
- 20 Trip around Spain
- 21 Crete - trip report - 3 weeks May 2013, a great and surprising trip!
- 22 Weekend in Lake Bled?
- 23 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 24 Travelling from Venice to the Cinque Terre towns.
- 25 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report