This is my third trip to Stockholm so I wanted to get out of town and see some countryside. My husband is here on business, so we only had the weekend. We rented a car and drove inland to Mariefred and stayed and the MOST WONDERFUL B&B called "In My Garden". We were fortunate enough to get the Garden Cottage as our room. Ulrika and Stene who run this wonderful piece of heaven were gracious hosts. The room was absolutely beautiful, and the property is on the lake with wonderful views. There is a castle in Mariefred, but unfortunately as with most places like this in Sweden, it does not open for tours until the middle of May. We were able to walk around the outside, and take lots of pictures. We drove around the area during the day, and setteled into our cozy room at night. During the summer months you can take a boat from Stockholm to Mariefred which would be a great way to get there! Of course the train is available year round. The only downside is the restaurant situation. In the off season there is only one restaurant in town that is open in the evenings. The food is good, but expensive (like most restaurants here), but there is a large grocery store in town and during the summer months there are many other restaurants to choose from. All in all, we had a great, RELAXING weekend away from the city!
Stockholm sidetrip worth taking
- 1 Two weeks in Paris, Provence, and the French Riviera
- 2 Best area for wine and which one?
- 3 Venice - Verona - Padova - Vienna Trip Report
- 4 Must-do Day Trips from London
- 5 Help! Creating a Budget for my DS Graduation Trip to Europe
- 6 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 7 Solo in Sicily - April 2013
- 8 private tour from cruise port in Naples
- 9 Which tour company would be best?
- 10 Trip in June to andulusia and algrave portugal
- 11 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 12 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 13 Help with Provence and French Riviera
- 14 how much time in York, Edinburgh, etc?
- 15 Venice - another trip report (deja vu all over again)
- 16 Gatwick Express 5 for 3 -- available at Victoria station or only online?
- 17 Northern Italy second week of June 2013
- 18 2 days in Venice- where to stay –What to do- Help please!
- 19 Has anyone attended the Landshut Wedding of 1475 celebration?
- 20 ATMs in Prague, Vienna for Bank of America?
- 21 Bathrooms Along This Itinerary (Day in Rome)
- 22 My First Trip to Provence and Paris...Loved!!!
- 23 EU Rule On Olive Oil Roils Europe!
- 24 Alsace question. Itterswiller or Riquewihr, where to stay?
- 25 Apartment in Seville