This is my third trip to Stockholm so I wanted to get out of town and see some countryside. My husband is here on business, so we only had the weekend. We rented a car and drove inland to Mariefred and stayed and the MOST WONDERFUL B&B called "In My Garden". We were fortunate enough to get the Garden Cottage as our room. Ulrika and Stene who run this wonderful piece of heaven were gracious hosts. The room was absolutely beautiful, and the property is on the lake with wonderful views. There is a castle in Mariefred, but unfortunately as with most places like this in Sweden, it does not open for tours until the middle of May. We were able to walk around the outside, and take lots of pictures. We drove around the area during the day, and setteled into our cozy room at night. During the summer months you can take a boat from Stockholm to Mariefred which would be a great way to get there! Of course the train is available year round. The only downside is the restaurant situation. In the off season there is only one restaurant in town that is open in the evenings. The food is good, but expensive (like most restaurants here), but there is a large grocery store in town and during the summer months there are many other restaurants to choose from. All in all, we had a great, RELAXING weekend away from the city!
Stockholm sidetrip worth taking
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 2 rail pass
- 3 "Chip" Credit Cards in Italy
- 4 anticipating Italian autostrada traffic in July to catch ferry
- 5 Switzerland Trip with Family
- 6 Dolce Far Niente....the sweetness of doing nothing (well almost) in Paris
- 7 Napoli Centrale: Luggage/Storage Lockers?
- 8 Multi-Generational Great Britain Tour
- 9 A guide to Madrid
- 10 UK and Belgium 20 days with 2 kids ( 6 years old and 7 years old girls)
- 11 I´ve resurrected an old blog on the Basque Country
- 12 2000 years, 2 countries, 2 passports: Rome & Madrid, Jan. 2015
- 13 What to see between Budapest and Salzburg
- 14 Renting an apt.
- 15 Need help on almost 3 weeks in Ireland: itinerary
- 16 English Stately Homes and Castle
- 17 Zurich and other cities to visit?
- 18 Comments on Iceland Itinerary Please
- 19 WiFi on trains
- 20 4 weeks by rail starting Rome
- 21 Potential return trip to Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 22 Valencia, Granada, Seville or Malaga ????
- 23 Germany for 3 weeks
- 24 10 day itinerary in Puglia
- 25 Bayeux to Mt. St Micheal - Any interesting stops along the way?