This is my third trip to Stockholm so I wanted to get out of town and see some countryside. My husband is here on business, so we only had the weekend. We rented a car and drove inland to Mariefred and stayed and the MOST WONDERFUL B&B called "In My Garden". We were fortunate enough to get the Garden Cottage as our room. Ulrika and Stene who run this wonderful piece of heaven were gracious hosts. The room was absolutely beautiful, and the property is on the lake with wonderful views. There is a castle in Mariefred, but unfortunately as with most places like this in Sweden, it does not open for tours until the middle of May. We were able to walk around the outside, and take lots of pictures. We drove around the area during the day, and setteled into our cozy room at night. During the summer months you can take a boat from Stockholm to Mariefred which would be a great way to get there! Of course the train is available year round. The only downside is the restaurant situation. In the off season there is only one restaurant in town that is open in the evenings. The food is good, but expensive (like most restaurants here), but there is a large grocery store in town and during the summer months there are many other restaurants to choose from. All in all, we had a great, RELAXING weekend away from the city!
Stockholm sidetrip worth taking
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Zurich, Switzerland
- 2 Barcelona to Girona: Rent a Car or just take the train?
- 3 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 4 How far in advance should I book my car rentals ?
- 5 A Winter Wander – Engadine and Berner Oberland
- 6 iDTGV Sales Open Today for Travel through September 11, 2014
- 7 Cilento, Calabria and Basilicata: Help fill in a few blanks for us
- 8 Sim Card for Data Plan
- 9 London tube
- 10 Day trip from London to Paris
- 11 HS Seniors in Finland and the Baltics - How to plan their spending
- 12 Need to visit a hospital in Athens
- 13 5am arrival in Dublin
- 14 Last day in Italy with kids, Bologna or Venice?
- 15 Hotel in Venice
- 16 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 17 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 18 Europe-21 days in September 2014
- 19 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 20 What are the best places to see in England
- 21 London hotel
- 22 7 days in Greece
- 23 Help with Barcelona Plans Please!
- 24 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time
- 25 Europe in 21 days