This is my third trip to Stockholm so I wanted to get out of town and see some countryside. My husband is here on business, so we only had the weekend. We rented a car and drove inland to Mariefred and stayed and the MOST WONDERFUL B&B called "In My Garden". We were fortunate enough to get the Garden Cottage as our room. Ulrika and Stene who run this wonderful piece of heaven were gracious hosts. The room was absolutely beautiful, and the property is on the lake with wonderful views. There is a castle in Mariefred, but unfortunately as with most places like this in Sweden, it does not open for tours until the middle of May. We were able to walk around the outside, and take lots of pictures. We drove around the area during the day, and setteled into our cozy room at night. During the summer months you can take a boat from Stockholm to Mariefred which would be a great way to get there! Of course the train is available year round. The only downside is the restaurant situation. In the off season there is only one restaurant in town that is open in the evenings. The food is good, but expensive (like most restaurants here), but there is a large grocery store in town and during the summer months there are many other restaurants to choose from. All in all, we had a great, RELAXING weekend away from the city!
Stockholm sidetrip worth taking
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What is the best way to tour the Bosphorus
- 2 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 3 What Three Nations Have The Friendliest People?
- 4 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 5 24 hour layover in Paris (CDG)
- 6 7 days in London in Dec with family
- 7 Need help with itinerary
- 8 Driving from Amboise to Dinan--advice needed
- 9 Where next? UK, Greece, Germany, or Spain?
- 10 Appian Way and Catacombs in Rome, tour? Sunday?
- 11 Help neede with Liquria itinerary
- 12 First Trip to Europe
- 13 Scandinavian tour - first time!
- 14 Expat area's in France
- 15 24 Hours on Santorini -- what to do and see?
- 16 Paris: for a family with children, Saint Germain or Le Marais?
- 17 Advice for 6 nights 7 Days in Switzerland
- 18 One month (ish) in Spain
- 19 Training from Switzerland to Paris to the UK
- 20 How are Asians perceived in the Netherlands and Norway?
- 21 Weather in Rias Baixas this weekend?
- 22 Wine tours in Tuscuny
- 23 La Sagrada Familia
- 24 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 25 Where to stay in London