This is my third trip to Stockholm so I wanted to get out of town and see some countryside. My husband is here on business, so we only had the weekend. We rented a car and drove inland to Mariefred and stayed and the MOST WONDERFUL B&B called "In My Garden". We were fortunate enough to get the Garden Cottage as our room. Ulrika and Stene who run this wonderful piece of heaven were gracious hosts. The room was absolutely beautiful, and the property is on the lake with wonderful views. There is a castle in Mariefred, but unfortunately as with most places like this in Sweden, it does not open for tours until the middle of May. We were able to walk around the outside, and take lots of pictures. We drove around the area during the day, and setteled into our cozy room at night. During the summer months you can take a boat from Stockholm to Mariefred which would be a great way to get there! Of course the train is available year round. The only downside is the restaurant situation. In the off season there is only one restaurant in town that is open in the evenings. The food is good, but expensive (like most restaurants here), but there is a large grocery store in town and during the summer months there are many other restaurants to choose from. All in all, we had a great, RELAXING weekend away from the city!
Stockholm sidetrip worth taking
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Crete, Rhodes... or?
- 2 Toulouse & Paris Day Trips
- 3 Romantic France/Italy Countryside tour/itinerary
- 4 Lake Como transportation questions
- 5 All Set To Go!!
- 6 Andalucia by car or train???? please help
- 7 Alternate base to Frankfurt
- 8 Earthquakes in Tuscany
- 9 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 10 Train Travel from Marseilles to Barcelona
- 11 Travelling from Paris to Madrid
- 12 By train to and out of Prague
- 13 Budget family trip to Europe
- 14 Honeymoon in Provence - 14 day itinerary help please
- 15 Pasteurized Cheese in Paris
- 16 South of Spain in late September - cities/areas?
- 17 Cylades Island Hopping
- 18 7 Nights in Paris
- 19 Normandy and Loire
- 20 Huge New 5,000 Year Old Underground City Excavated in Cappadocia
- 21 Rome Trip Report -- Nov 1-8
- 22 Northern Italy Itinerary Help
- 23 Trip Report -- Just Back From Spain
- 24 Northern Europe in April-May
- 25 Budget Trip to Europe | 22, 23-yr old | June 2015