I emailed several weeks ago with general questions about Paris. To reiterate a little bit, we are going to France this summer to meet our daughter's boyfriend's parents. I have never been to France, & my husband was in Paris in the 70's, so we have decided to spend a week in Paris first before we meet the boyfriend's parents. First we will spend 7 nights in Paris, then possibly 3 nights in the Loire Valley & then the last 3 nights with the parents and our daughter & boyfriend. I have booked our airline reservations: we leave Boston on July 28 & arrive in Paris on July 29. We return on August 11 on an AF evening flight.
It seems the more research I do, the more confused I get about neighborhoods & hotels. I still can't decide between Marais, Saint Germain & Latin Quarter. Our daughter's boyfriend recommends the Marais first, with Saint Germain a close second. Would restaurants, cafes, stores, etc be more expensive in Saint Germain? It is described as "gentrified". What really is the difference between the two?
Our budget is around $150USD. I got a good rate at the HOtel du Vieux Marais (125 euros) & Fodors Travel Guide recommends this hotel. However, it got horrible reviews from Trip Advisor because of construction going on. I will email them to see if there will still be construction in the summer. Has anyone stayed at this hotel?
I am also considering HOtel AGora St. Germain. (Libretto on this forum has stayed here); I am waiting to hear back from Hotel Andrea Rivoli in Marais. uh_oh busted has stayed there. If you are reading this post, what room did you stay in?
Has anyone stayed at HOtel Bonaparte on Rue Bonaparte? Fodors Guide book recommends it, I am waiting to hear back from the hotel. I think I should book a hotel soon, then I might still research apartments, too. I found several that sounded good but didn't have AC. I might prefer a hotel since this is our first time in Paris. I don't see us preparing lunches in an apartment, but we might have breakfasts there so it might still be an option.
Thanks everyone for all your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 2 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 3 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 4 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 5 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 6 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 7 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 8 Zurich to Milan trip
- 9 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 10 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 11 Train help Lyon to Annecy to Montreaux
- 12 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 13 Spanish Medical Providers
- 14 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 15 San Sebastián
- 16 Andalusia suggests - which order is best?
- 17 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 18 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 19 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 20 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 21 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 22 Planning A trip
- 23 Amalfi Coast Apartment in October -- mobility an issue
- 24 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 25 Ireland with 2 young kids