I emailed several weeks ago with general questions about Paris. To reiterate a little bit, we are going to France this summer to meet our daughter's boyfriend's parents. I have never been to France, & my husband was in Paris in the 70's, so we have decided to spend a week in Paris first before we meet the boyfriend's parents. First we will spend 7 nights in Paris, then possibly 3 nights in the Loire Valley & then the last 3 nights with the parents and our daughter & boyfriend. I have booked our airline reservations: we leave Boston on July 28 & arrive in Paris on July 29. We return on August 11 on an AF evening flight.
It seems the more research I do, the more confused I get about neighborhoods & hotels. I still can't decide between Marais, Saint Germain & Latin Quarter. Our daughter's boyfriend recommends the Marais first, with Saint Germain a close second. Would restaurants, cafes, stores, etc be more expensive in Saint Germain? It is described as "gentrified". What really is the difference between the two?
Our budget is around $150USD. I got a good rate at the HOtel du Vieux Marais (125 euros) & Fodors Travel Guide recommends this hotel. However, it got horrible reviews from Trip Advisor because of construction going on. I will email them to see if there will still be construction in the summer. Has anyone stayed at this hotel?
I am also considering HOtel AGora St. Germain. (Libretto on this forum has stayed here); I am waiting to hear back from Hotel Andrea Rivoli in Marais. uh_oh busted has stayed there. If you are reading this post, what room did you stay in?
Has anyone stayed at HOtel Bonaparte on Rue Bonaparte? Fodors Guide book recommends it, I am waiting to hear back from the hotel. I think I should book a hotel soon, then I might still research apartments, too. I found several that sounded good but didn't have AC. I might prefer a hotel since this is our first time in Paris. I don't see us preparing lunches in an apartment, but we might have breakfasts there so it might still be an option.
Thanks everyone for all your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 I bought a one way ticket to Europe.
- 2 Ireland for work. Add on a week-Scotland? Netherlands?
- 3 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 4 FYI, Bourdain in Porto, this Sunday (July 2)
- 5 17 year old need a birth certificate to travel?
- 6 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 7 15 day honeymoon trip in December
- 8 Paris - Top Foodie Eats? Staying near Le Marais
- 9 Maximizing Norway time
- 10 Possible British Airways strike action, July 2017
- 11 Lisbon Hotel choice
- 12 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 13 Train from Brussels to Amsterdam
- 14 Greece Honeymoon Itineraries
- 15 Hiking in Switzerland
- 16 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 17 Need help planning trip after Paris
- 18 Recommendations for trip to Cochem
- 19 David's First Draft Itinerary for Northern Spain and Portugal 2018
- 20 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 21 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 22 Plane to Train Connection-CDG to Gare De Lyon
- 23 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 24 ITALY – ON AND OFF THE BEATEN PATH: Venice & Northern Italy
- 25 CASH OR CARD?