Just heard an interesting blurb on NPR (National Pubic Radio in U S) about the UK's first planned 'new town' built after WW2 near London - one of many that would follow.
Sounds like an interesting off-beat destination for me and perhaps others interested in these unique places. And after reading Wiki Travel's intro to the town I have put it on my upcoming trip to the U K -
<Stevenage is a town of approximately 80,000 in the county of Hertfordshire, in the south east of England, only around 32 miles north of central London. The town is well known for being the first ever 'new town'; new towns were a series of towns built near London after World War II. Stevenage as a whole is not as a major tourist attraction, but there are some attractions that may attract local visitors. An interesting fact about the town is that a view of Stevenage from the air, shows it as a heart shape.
Stevenage is a must for architecture and planning historians, sociologists and socialists to visit, it represents, perhaps, the most successful of the great Post-War experiments with new housing. This was a huge project to relocate those who were displaced by the war in clean, open, and healthy new towns. Its often unattractive architecture is mostly that of the 1960s and 1970s; in this it is perhaps unfortunate, but it was also conceived with a strong vision in mind.
Anyone been to Stevenage and if so what did you think?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 4 days itinerary for France
- 2 ISO help planning a trip to England in May
- 3 Rent a car in England
- 4 tours/attractions worth paying for in Prague/Vienna/Budapest/Krakow
- 5 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 6 Which cities are a must in Croatia, Bosnia&Herzegovina and Montenegro?
- 7 EuropeTravel-Trivia Quiz #152
- 8 Iceland Itinerary Help
- 9 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 10 South of France - 7 Days - April
- 11 3 weeks in Spain
- 12 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 13 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 14 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 15 2017 Easter in Italy
- 16 Iceland Trip Report: 9 Days in May - non Ring Road!
- 17 Please help me with the name of this town in Spain
- 18 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 19 Edinburgh to Skye
- 20 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 21 Family first time Barcelona (where and how much ?)
- 22 Croatia transportation question.
- 23 Airport Transfer from Edinburgh Center to Glasgow Airport
- 24 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 25 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!