Just heard an interesting blurb on NPR (National Pubic Radio in U S) about the UK's first planned 'new town' built after WW2 near London - one of many that would follow.
Sounds like an interesting off-beat destination for me and perhaps others interested in these unique places. And after reading Wiki Travel's intro to the town I have put it on my upcoming trip to the U K -
<Stevenage is a town of approximately 80,000 in the county of Hertfordshire, in the south east of England, only around 32 miles north of central London. The town is well known for being the first ever 'new town'; new towns were a series of towns built near London after World War II. Stevenage as a whole is not as a major tourist attraction, but there are some attractions that may attract local visitors. An interesting fact about the town is that a view of Stevenage from the air, shows it as a heart shape.
Stevenage is a must for architecture and planning historians, sociologists and socialists to visit, it represents, perhaps, the most successful of the great Post-War experiments with new housing. This was a huge project to relocate those who were displaced by the war in clean, open, and healthy new towns. Its often unattractive architecture is mostly that of the 1960s and 1970s; in this it is perhaps unfortunate, but it was also conceived with a strong vision in mind.
Anyone been to Stevenage and if so what did you think?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 2 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 3 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 4 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 5 Mon Dieu! The Cops Are After Me
- 6 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 7 Places to visit during a semester in Spain
- 8 Input desired concerning my Sicily itinerary
- 9 3 weeks in Italy - Family of 4
- 10 Ronda: cheap parking, where to find?
- 11 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 12 Amalfi Coast - help!
- 13 Germany train help!
- 14 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 15 Ideas for small group tour - Southern Spain
- 16 Europe Travel & Trivia Quiz #138- Bridges, Tunnels!
- 17 Another tipping question: concierges
- 18 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 19 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 20 Interesting places to visit
- 21 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 22 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 23 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 24 Acropolis Athens
- 25 Buying iDTGV tickets at a station