Just heard an interesting blurb on NPR (National Pubic Radio in U S) about the UK's first planned 'new town' built after WW2 near London - one of many that would follow.
Sounds like an interesting off-beat destination for me and perhaps others interested in these unique places. And after reading Wiki Travel's intro to the town I have put it on my upcoming trip to the U K -
<Stevenage is a town of approximately 80,000 in the county of Hertfordshire, in the south east of England, only around 32 miles north of central London. The town is well known for being the first ever 'new town'; new towns were a series of towns built near London after World War II. Stevenage as a whole is not as a major tourist attraction, but there are some attractions that may attract local visitors. An interesting fact about the town is that a view of Stevenage from the air, shows it as a heart shape.
Stevenage is a must for architecture and planning historians, sociologists and socialists to visit, it represents, perhaps, the most successful of the great Post-War experiments with new housing. This was a huge project to relocate those who were displaced by the war in clean, open, and healthy new towns. Its often unattractive architecture is mostly that of the 1960s and 1970s; in this it is perhaps unfortunate, but it was also conceived with a strong vision in mind.
Anyone been to Stevenage and if so what did you think?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 고고카지노사이트＼※【KTV200.CoM 】※＼카지노사이트■온라인카지노추천
- 2 Spain and Portugal - 2 weeks in Mid-July - help with itinerary
- 3 Holy mass with Vienna Boys Choir
- 4 Marseille vs. Genoa
- 5 Kayaking in Avignon
- 6 best Provence itinerary to see Verdon Gorge
- 7 I have six days in Spain - where should I go?
- 8 Early Itinerary Munich to Croatia
- 9 Heathrow Terminal 2 - Immigration, Bags & Pick-Up
- 10 4 days in Provence in early June
- 11 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 12 Travel within Greece, and motion sickness?
- 13 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 14 Cordoba Overnight?
- 15 Barcelona, Bilboa, Cuena, Madrid
- 16 Sintra
- 17 France Itinerary Advice
- 18 Crete/Athens June 2017
- 19 Krakow and Prague-one week
- 20 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 21 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 22 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 23 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
- 24 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 25 London Pass vs. OysterCard,or get both?