Just heard an interesting blurb on NPR (National Pubic Radio in U S) about the UK's first planned 'new town' built after WW2 near London - one of many that would follow.
Sounds like an interesting off-beat destination for me and perhaps others interested in these unique places. And after reading Wiki Travel's intro to the town I have put it on my upcoming trip to the U K -
<Stevenage is a town of approximately 80,000 in the county of Hertfordshire, in the south east of England, only around 32 miles north of central London. The town is well known for being the first ever 'new town'; new towns were a series of towns built near London after World War II. Stevenage as a whole is not as a major tourist attraction, but there are some attractions that may attract local visitors. An interesting fact about the town is that a view of Stevenage from the air, shows it as a heart shape.
Stevenage is a must for architecture and planning historians, sociologists and socialists to visit, it represents, perhaps, the most successful of the great Post-War experiments with new housing. This was a huge project to relocate those who were displaced by the war in clean, open, and healthy new towns. Its often unattractive architecture is mostly that of the 1960s and 1970s; in this it is perhaps unfortunate, but it was also conceived with a strong vision in mind.
Anyone been to Stevenage and if so what did you think?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 kechua: Tec*h SUPP0RT hp printer CONTACT 1:8OO:681:72O8 hp 24*7
- 2 alcazar question and seville advice
- 3 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 4 Couscous
- 5 Cycling Nice into Italy along the coast
- 6 transportation from De Gaulle airport
- 7 London is it worth it?
- 8 Lisbon
- 9 Area for a 2 Week Stay in Malaga
- 10 Tuscany Itinerary
- 11 driving from London to Lourdes
- 12 Paris..The St. Germain area.
- 13 One day in Berchtesgaden - what should we see
- 14 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 15 Help with Scotland Itinerary
- 16 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 17 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 18 Paris Restaurants esp in Marais
- 19 Places to stop/stay?
- 20 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 21 Visit to Sardinia
- 22 ATM
- 23 Seeking scenic route from Bala, Wales to london
- 24 TIM in FCO - update
- 25 Visa Query