I am beginning the thought/planning process for a first trip to Europe year after next when I retire from teaching. Most likely it will be me (mom) and daughter (18 now). Possibly 20 something son, but he will be working, Dad, not a traveler unfortunately.
I went to England in college for a whirlwind spring break sports team week and definitely want to return to that country. Daughter is a fanatic about Shakespeare,and history. We both want to go to London, and would also like to spend some time in the English countryside. (I have read so many novels with that setting, it would seem criminal to me not to see it in person!)
While I would love to visit Paris, she likes the idea of Italy. If we had a budget of $5000 for the trip (not incl air - we would travel from any of the Washington DC airports) and probably no more than 10- 12 days ( so she could work her summer job), should we include Paris or Italy? Or should we just keep it to one country and really see a lot? I would love to go to Paris, she is keen on Italy, but I don't want to overextend ourselves.
I know that many of you take repeated trips abroad (I am very envious! but this seriously may be a trip that isn't followed by another one (at least for a looong time) What are your thoughts given your experiences? Thank you so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tolls in VIENNA-BUDAPEST-ZAGREB-GRAZ-BRATISLAVA-PRAGUE?
- 2 Need help planning a 20 day trip
- 3 Halfday in Barcelona
- 4 Where to stay in Northern Ireland and should we try to see Cliffs of Moher?
- 5 My summer in Paris
- 6 Still deciding on what to do for six nights in Italy between Padua and Rome
- 7 Should I shop in Firenze or Roma? Or Paris or London?!
- 8 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 9 Airbnb a better way to travel.
- 10 Iceland 2 week trip itinerary/report
- 11 Charles DeGaulle to Paris
- 12 another Naples and Amalfi coast question
- 13 Impressions of Bad Tolz?
- 14 Cadiz or Malaga
- 15 A great read for anyone visiting the UK.
- 16 MaiTaiTom's "Insane For Spain" - 2015
- 17 A/C in Basel
- 18 5 Nights in the Midlands
- 19 Pegontheroad in eastern Europe
- 20 Trip planning--Portugal and Spain
- 21 Photographing the lavender in Provence
- 22 San Sebastián how many ways can I say I love you?
- 23 Lechazo in Castilla; Burgos; Extebarri; Getaria; SS (??)
- 24 How has Rome changed in last 30 years?
- 25 Guys please Help, Italy areas, where to stay. Running out of time.