I am beginning the thought/planning process for a first trip to Europe year after next when I retire from teaching. Most likely it will be me (mom) and daughter (18 now). Possibly 20 something son, but he will be working, Dad, not a traveler unfortunately.
I went to England in college for a whirlwind spring break sports team week and definitely want to return to that country. Daughter is a fanatic about Shakespeare,and history. We both want to go to London, and would also like to spend some time in the English countryside. (I have read so many novels with that setting, it would seem criminal to me not to see it in person!)
While I would love to visit Paris, she likes the idea of Italy. If we had a budget of $5000 for the trip (not incl air - we would travel from any of the Washington DC airports) and probably no more than 10- 12 days ( so she could work her summer job), should we include Paris or Italy? Or should we just keep it to one country and really see a lot? I would love to go to Paris, she is keen on Italy, but I don't want to overextend ourselves.
I know that many of you take repeated trips abroad (I am very envious! but this seriously may be a trip that isn't followed by another one (at least for a looong time) What are your thoughts given your experiences? Thank you so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Favorite eateries in the Balkan States
- 2 Three days in Athens
- 3 Another Visit to London
- 4 Versailles or Mont St Michel ?
- 5 The Tweesters Travel with Tito: 2 weeks in Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia
- 6 transfer from Eurostar to London hotel
- 7 Northern Italy
- 8 Where can I get pre-euro banknotes?
- 9 Lucca to Florence with side trips
- 10 Europe in Two Weeks, what is possible?
- 11 Five City European Vacation thru Groupon
- 12 Suggestions for 6 days in Central Europe (Hungary/around there)
- 13 Walking stylish sandals/flats
- 14 Two days in Switzerland or Lake Como Italy
- 15 5 Days in Provence
- 16 3 days Venice to Paris
- 17 A 3rd destination to add to trip
- 18 Transportation from Gothenburg airport to the Center
- 19 Anyone travel with to Europe with ISE when they were in college?
- 20 Forints or Euros?
- 21 Paris 5 Day itinerary - Suggestions plz
- 22 Not-so-Expensive Restaurants in Copenhagen, Stockholm and Oslo
- 23 Help-1st time solo travel in Basel and Amsterdam
- 24 Bus fine Italy
- 25 Another question about the rouble.