I am beginning the thought/planning process for a first trip to Europe year after next when I retire from teaching. Most likely it will be me (mom) and daughter (18 now). Possibly 20 something son, but he will be working, Dad, not a traveler unfortunately.
I went to England in college for a whirlwind spring break sports team week and definitely want to return to that country. Daughter is a fanatic about Shakespeare,and history. We both want to go to London, and would also like to spend some time in the English countryside. (I have read so many novels with that setting, it would seem criminal to me not to see it in person!)
While I would love to visit Paris, she likes the idea of Italy. If we had a budget of $5000 for the trip (not incl air - we would travel from any of the Washington DC airports) and probably no more than 10- 12 days ( so she could work her summer job), should we include Paris or Italy? Or should we just keep it to one country and really see a lot? I would love to go to Paris, she is keen on Italy, but I don't want to overextend ourselves.
I know that many of you take repeated trips abroad (I am very envious! but this seriously may be a trip that isn't followed by another one (at least for a looong time) What are your thoughts given your experiences? Thank you so much!
Step One. Where?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris Apartment for 7 - deciding between 2 choices
- 2 Copies of passports & credit cars
- 3 Top 5 choices from London
- 4 French Government Endorses Airbnb in Paris...
- 5 Day on the Rhine
- 6 What Have I Forgotten? Month in Europe Coming Up.
- 7 Places for Solo Traveling Near Paris
- 8 DayTrips from Madrid vs. Overnight
- 9 best way to get to Italy from Greece
- 10 Train from Milano Malpensa DIRECTLY to Bologna Centrale?
- 11 Best way to get to Italy from Greece of vice versa
- 12 Europcar (via Kemwel) - rent GPS at pickup?
- 13 Rome - A Couple of Questions
- 14 3 and a half days in Helsinki and Tallinn..help with itinerary?
- 15 Spring in Spain: Crawling up Mallorca; Pushing Through Toledo
- 16 Traveling to Greece & Italy with FOOD allergy (tree nuts)
- 17 Tasting Cellars in Beaune
- 18 Trip to Cornwall with senior - logistics assistance please?
- 19 How long to allow for layover at CDG going from MRS to ATL
- 20 British Airways Carry-On Luggage - Need Help!
- 21 Switzerland - where to for this trip?
- 22 Help plan train from Segovia to Toledo
- 23 Is my itinerary the Best of Switzerland?
- 24 Transportation in Paris
- 25 Plan for the Drive from York to Edinburgh