I am beginning the thought/planning process for a first trip to Europe year after next when I retire from teaching. Most likely it will be me (mom) and daughter (18 now). Possibly 20 something son, but he will be working, Dad, not a traveler unfortunately.
I went to England in college for a whirlwind spring break sports team week and definitely want to return to that country. Daughter is a fanatic about Shakespeare,and history. We both want to go to London, and would also like to spend some time in the English countryside. (I have read so many novels with that setting, it would seem criminal to me not to see it in person!)
While I would love to visit Paris, she likes the idea of Italy. If we had a budget of $5000 for the trip (not incl air - we would travel from any of the Washington DC airports) and probably no more than 10- 12 days ( so she could work her summer job), should we include Paris or Italy? Or should we just keep it to one country and really see a lot? I would love to go to Paris, she is keen on Italy, but I don't want to overextend ourselves.
I know that many of you take repeated trips abroad (I am very envious! but this seriously may be a trip that isn't followed by another one (at least for a looong time) What are your thoughts given your experiences? Thank you so much!
Step One. Where?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 South of Switzerland
- 2 Trattorias/Bars/Restaurants Open Sunday & Monday in Monti (or other)Rome
- 3 Western Mediterranean Honeymoon Cruise Leaving from Barcelona
- 4 DEAUVILLE or HONFLEUR for overnight stay?
- 5 Home Base in Belgium
- 6 France and Italy 15 nights. Suggestions welcomed.
- 7 22 days in Amsterdam, Germany, Austria and Switzerland
- 8 Rocamaxour
- 9 Plane or Train Lisbon to Porto?
- 10 St. John's Navalis feast/festival in Prague
- 11 Looking for nice regions with good public transport
- 12 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 13 Mother daughter London/Ireland trip
- 14 Itinerary for Spain
- 15 Dordogne prehistoric sites
- 16 Practicing Spanish while in Spain - any ideas?
- 17 Berlin to Prague via Dresden
- 18 Paradors in Avila, Segovia, Salamanca and Cuenca Spain
- 19 2 different itineraries
- 20 Recommend a tour company?
- 21 Itinerary help
- 22 England in 7 days
- 23 Germany -Preliminary Planning 2 weeks in Sept/15
- 24 Day Trips from Paris
- 25 Rome: Vatican to Tiburtina Station by bus?