I am beginning the thought/planning process for a first trip to Europe year after next when I retire from teaching. Most likely it will be me (mom) and daughter (18 now). Possibly 20 something son, but he will be working, Dad, not a traveler unfortunately.
I went to England in college for a whirlwind spring break sports team week and definitely want to return to that country. Daughter is a fanatic about Shakespeare,and history. We both want to go to London, and would also like to spend some time in the English countryside. (I have read so many novels with that setting, it would seem criminal to me not to see it in person!)
While I would love to visit Paris, she likes the idea of Italy. If we had a budget of $5000 for the trip (not incl air - we would travel from any of the Washington DC airports) and probably no more than 10- 12 days ( so she could work her summer job), should we include Paris or Italy? Or should we just keep it to one country and really see a lot? I would love to go to Paris, she is keen on Italy, but I don't want to overextend ourselves.
I know that many of you take repeated trips abroad (I am very envious! but this seriously may be a trip that isn't followed by another one (at least for a looong time) What are your thoughts given your experiences? Thank you so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ann Frank House
- 2 Interesting new site in Utrecht
- 3 Barcelona Itinerary
- 4 Trip Report: Bellagio, Milan, Venice, Cinque Terre and Piedmont
- 5 air conditioning
- 6 Munich to Milan via train
- 7 Beautiful Engadin is suffering
- 8 cable cars at Wank Mountain
- 9 Paris Visite pass
- 10 Cheap buses in Germany/Austria
- 11 Need help with Switzerland and Italy iterinary
- 12 Is my itinerary the Best of Switzerland?
- 13 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 14 Turkey Draft Itinerary
- 15 My northern Italy itinerary - your comments are appreciated!
- 16 Pegontheroad in eastern Europe
- 17 Barcelona sites: attire
- 18 Self-driving in Iceland
- 19 Amalfi Coast restaurants...are dinner reservations a must?
- 20 What company to rent a AUTOMATIC car in France?
- 21 First trip to Ireland--won't be the last!
- 22 Travelling from Marseille Airport into the city
- 23 Trip Report: Eight Days in Amsterdam and Belgium
- 24 Slovenia & Croatia itinerary help
- 25 Referendum in Greece