I am beginning the thought/planning process for a first trip to Europe year after next when I retire from teaching. Most likely it will be me (mom) and daughter (18 now). Possibly 20 something son, but he will be working, Dad, not a traveler unfortunately.
I went to England in college for a whirlwind spring break sports team week and definitely want to return to that country. Daughter is a fanatic about Shakespeare,and history. We both want to go to London, and would also like to spend some time in the English countryside. (I have read so many novels with that setting, it would seem criminal to me not to see it in person!)
While I would love to visit Paris, she likes the idea of Italy. If we had a budget of $5000 for the trip (not incl air - we would travel from any of the Washington DC airports) and probably no more than 10- 12 days ( so she could work her summer job), should we include Paris or Italy? Or should we just keep it to one country and really see a lot? I would love to go to Paris, she is keen on Italy, but I don't want to overextend ourselves.
I know that many of you take repeated trips abroad (I am very envious! but this seriously may be a trip that isn't followed by another one (at least for a looong time) What are your thoughts given your experiences? Thank you so much!
Step One. Where?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 2 What to do and what to see in Moscow in February?
- 3 Five Nights in Budapest: A Quick Winter Getaway
- 4 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 5 All Set To Go!!
- 6 Since Paris is ALWAYS good idea
- 7 Bus Service Between Spoleto and Norcia
- 8 France,Spain,Italy
- 9 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 10 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 11 Scotland November 2015
- 12 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 13 Accommodations in or near Brussels with parking
- 14 London - Paris - Venice - Rome in 21 Days
- 15 Which european city?
- 16 Best places to stay in Bristol?
- 17 Portugal Trip
- 18 Transportation from Athens Airport to Syntagma
- 19 Taxi or Tube from LHR to Gloucester Road Tube?
- 20 2 weeks Bavaria - December 2015
- 21 Copenhagen, Oslo, Bergen, Stockholm
- 22 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 23 Rail tickets Question: Dusseldorf, Amsterdam, Antwerp
- 24 Hotel or B&B Recommendations for Chamonix, Lyon & Paris
- 25 Luggage storage in Barcelona