I am beginning the thought/planning process for a first trip to Europe year after next when I retire from teaching. Most likely it will be me (mom) and daughter (18 now). Possibly 20 something son, but he will be working, Dad, not a traveler unfortunately.
I went to England in college for a whirlwind spring break sports team week and definitely want to return to that country. Daughter is a fanatic about Shakespeare,and history. We both want to go to London, and would also like to spend some time in the English countryside. (I have read so many novels with that setting, it would seem criminal to me not to see it in person!)
While I would love to visit Paris, she likes the idea of Italy. If we had a budget of $5000 for the trip (not incl air - we would travel from any of the Washington DC airports) and probably no more than 10- 12 days ( so she could work her summer job), should we include Paris or Italy? Or should we just keep it to one country and really see a lot? I would love to go to Paris, she is keen on Italy, but I don't want to overextend ourselves.
I know that many of you take repeated trips abroad (I am very envious! but this seriously may be a trip that isn't followed by another one (at least for a looong time) What are your thoughts given your experiences? Thank you so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Advice on long week trip to Germany
- 2 sncf help
- 3 Copenhagen or Stockholm?
- 4 Christmas in Germany
- 5 Amalfi Coast in June
- 6 Awe inspiring on the Amalfi Coast....an Albergo "Clash of the Titans"
- 7 Rome, Florence, Venice
- 8 2 adults & 2 kids in a hotel room in Iceland?
- 9 Dubrovnik's old pharmacy
- 10 Paris Travel: You Tell Me
- 11 Archetypical White Christmas
- 12 Caserta Palace and gardens renovations
- 13 Paris dining-with teens
- 14 Itinerary for 3 days in Italy and is Rome safe ???
- 15 Postcards from Retirement-The Scotland Edition
- 16 Best new years?
- 17 Ideas for last-minute 8N/8D couple's trip to Europe from London please
- 18 Bahn sales
- 19 Another Paris Trip Report
- 20 Weekend away from London
- 21 iPhone stolen in Paris
- 22 Airport shuttle from Airbnb locale
- 23 How to Spot an American in Europe
- 24 1st Class v 2nd Class
- 25 Driving from South Iceland to the Westfjords