I am beginning the thought/planning process for a first trip to Europe year after next when I retire from teaching. Most likely it will be me (mom) and daughter (18 now). Possibly 20 something son, but he will be working, Dad, not a traveler unfortunately.
I went to England in college for a whirlwind spring break sports team week and definitely want to return to that country. Daughter is a fanatic about Shakespeare,and history. We both want to go to London, and would also like to spend some time in the English countryside. (I have read so many novels with that setting, it would seem criminal to me not to see it in person!)
While I would love to visit Paris, she likes the idea of Italy. If we had a budget of $5000 for the trip (not incl air - we would travel from any of the Washington DC airports) and probably no more than 10- 12 days ( so she could work her summer job), should we include Paris or Italy? Or should we just keep it to one country and really see a lot? I would love to go to Paris, she is keen on Italy, but I don't want to overextend ourselves.
I know that many of you take repeated trips abroad (I am very envious! but this seriously may be a trip that isn't followed by another one (at least for a looong time) What are your thoughts given your experiences? Thank you so much!
Step One. Where?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 lauterbrunnen lodging, down to 2 choices
- 2 bicycling garmisch oberammergau fussen
- 3 10-day Europe Trip (5-15June)
- 4 Immigration Procedures
- 5 Tedgale trip report: One glorious week in London, February, 2015
- 6 In Paris on my own
- 7 taking kids to france for first time next summer-help!
- 8 Restaurants near Pantheon in Rome
- 9 Gift for my European Friends- How about Hershey?
- 10 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 11 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 12 Budget for eating out in Italy, France and Berlin?
- 13 Which disposable cell phone to buy in France?
- 14 Best Luggage for Cobblestone/Stairs
- 15 Buying Prado Museum tickets online
- 16 Best town for 3 nights on the Costa Brava?
- 17 Which area to stay in Madrid?
- 18 Andalucia itinerary help
- 19 A taste of Scotland and Ireland
- 20 Hotel in Paris
- 21 3 and a half days in Helsinki and Tallinn..help with itinerary?
- 22 French Immersion Advice Needed
- 23 Travelling From Seattle to Italy, Mid May
- 24 Belgium for 4 nights by train
- 25 Traffic fine one year later! What to do?