I am beginning the thought/planning process for a first trip to Europe year after next when I retire from teaching. Most likely it will be me (mom) and daughter (18 now). Possibly 20 something son, but he will be working, Dad, not a traveler unfortunately.
I went to England in college for a whirlwind spring break sports team week and definitely want to return to that country. Daughter is a fanatic about Shakespeare,and history. We both want to go to London, and would also like to spend some time in the English countryside. (I have read so many novels with that setting, it would seem criminal to me not to see it in person!)
While I would love to visit Paris, she likes the idea of Italy. If we had a budget of $5000 for the trip (not incl air - we would travel from any of the Washington DC airports) and probably no more than 10- 12 days ( so she could work her summer job), should we include Paris or Italy? Or should we just keep it to one country and really see a lot? I would love to go to Paris, she is keen on Italy, but I don't want to overextend ourselves.
I know that many of you take repeated trips abroad (I am very envious! but this seriously may be a trip that isn't followed by another one (at least for a looong time) What are your thoughts given your experiences? Thank you so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Does the Paris Museum Pass cover the Picasso Museum?
- 2 Packing for Croatia Sept-Oct - Just getting started
- 3 England/Scotland in January?
- 4 The Newly Reopened Picasso Museum in Paris
- 5 Day Trip to Sorrento - Help!
- 6 MaiTaiTom's "Insane For Spain" - 2015
- 7 London During Rugby International September 2015
- 8 Rome, Italy Sistine Chapel
- 9 London theatre
- 10 Sicily: Day trips from Palermo to Erice, Segesta and Cefalu
- 11 What time for early flight to Heathrow
- 12 Hotel at or near Brussels airport
- 13 Le Marche: Cartoceto, Fano...
- 14 Experience Spain and Morocco Online (Video + Stills)
- 15 Frankfurt Airport and Train Question
- 16 Don't kill me - 88 days in Paris Airbnb?
- 17 Crete- anyone done the Eastern end lately?
- 18 a starting itinerary
- 19 Itinerary advice needed for Europe summer 2016
- 20 La Rochelle vs Barcelona
- 21 Suggestions on traveling from Palermo, Sicily to Munich, Germany
- 22 Small-group day tours from London?
- 23 Should I buy Trenitalia tickets ahead of time for my parents?
- 24 London: favorite recent exhibits?
- 25 Stockholm/Copenhagen/Norway?