I am beginning the thought/planning process for a first trip to Europe year after next when I retire from teaching. Most likely it will be me (mom) and daughter (18 now). Possibly 20 something son, but he will be working, Dad, not a traveler unfortunately.
I went to England in college for a whirlwind spring break sports team week and definitely want to return to that country. Daughter is a fanatic about Shakespeare,and history. We both want to go to London, and would also like to spend some time in the English countryside. (I have read so many novels with that setting, it would seem criminal to me not to see it in person!)
While I would love to visit Paris, she likes the idea of Italy. If we had a budget of $5000 for the trip (not incl air - we would travel from any of the Washington DC airports) and probably no more than 10- 12 days ( so she could work her summer job), should we include Paris or Italy? Or should we just keep it to one country and really see a lot? I would love to go to Paris, she is keen on Italy, but I don't want to overextend ourselves.
I know that many of you take repeated trips abroad (I am very envious! but this seriously may be a trip that isn't followed by another one (at least for a looong time) What are your thoughts given your experiences? Thank you so much!
Step One. Where?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Brussels / 2 nights / looking for insider tips
- 2 How are Asians perceived in the Netherlands and Norway?
- 3 Italy Spending Budget
- 4 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 5 London hotel tax is 20%
- 6 Seeking recommendations for Greece itinerary
- 7 How to Use a Transilien Train from Paris in Ile de France?
- 8 Britain Has Over 600 Red Lion Pubs...What is a Red Lion?
- 9 Photography Trip Ideas in Eastern Europe
- 10 Various Cities to Travel in May 2015
- 11 Trip Report: 17 days in Switzerland, Austria & Czech Republic
- 12 Ireland and Scotland : 2014 Trip Report
- 13 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 14 Travel during Ferragosto?
- 15 Brussels in 2 days
- 16 What is the best way to tour the Bosphorus
- 17 Paris: for a family with children, Saint Germain or Le Marais?
- 18 Biel/Bienne Experts
- 19 Barcelona hotel: convenient but not hustle bustle city location & Madrid??
- 20 Ireland or Scotland
- 21 Nice to the luberons
- 22 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 23 Cotswolds first time
- 24 Brescia, Italy - Agriturismo needed or?
- 25 Schengen rule made easy