I am beginning the thought/planning process for a first trip to Europe year after next when I retire from teaching. Most likely it will be me (mom) and daughter (18 now). Possibly 20 something son, but he will be working, Dad, not a traveler unfortunately.
I went to England in college for a whirlwind spring break sports team week and definitely want to return to that country. Daughter is a fanatic about Shakespeare,and history. We both want to go to London, and would also like to spend some time in the English countryside. (I have read so many novels with that setting, it would seem criminal to me not to see it in person!)
While I would love to visit Paris, she likes the idea of Italy. If we had a budget of $5000 for the trip (not incl air - we would travel from any of the Washington DC airports) and probably no more than 10- 12 days ( so she could work her summer job), should we include Paris or Italy? Or should we just keep it to one country and really see a lot? I would love to go to Paris, she is keen on Italy, but I don't want to overextend ourselves.
I know that many of you take repeated trips abroad (I am very envious! but this seriously may be a trip that isn't followed by another one (at least for a looong time) What are your thoughts given your experiences? Thank you so much!
Step One. Where?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 lauterbrunnen-wengen 4 days
- 2 Best area to stay in Dublin for someone in a wheelchair
- 3 French 2015 summer school vacation
- 4 Ski to Verbier and Courmayeur, is it possible without a car?
- 5 Air France strike
- 6 Exchanging Large Euro Notes(Currency) in Ireland
- 7 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 8 Netflix has expanded to 6 new countries today.
- 9 Mr & Mrs Annhig go bummelling round Germany.
- 10 Non-drinking night activities in Barcelona?
- 11 Where to buy French pashmina scarves on line?
- 12 Europe in winter
- 13 Best day trips from Paris
- 14 Oxford or Cambridge?
- 15 Travel insurance, interruption or cancelation?
- 16 Bodrum to instanbul
- 17 2 weeks on Lake Maggiore
- 18 Spain - looking for a historic town and beach town
- 19 URGENT HELP- Traveling soon for Croatia, B & H, Slovenia, Montenegro
- 20 Questions About Croatia
- 21 Croatia and Venice "good value" restaurants; getting to/from Plitvice lakes
- 22 Scottish Passport
- 23 Hurtigruten Cruise excursions alternatives, coast of Norway
- 24 Croatia Final Stop--Zagreb, Split, Dubrovnik?
- 25 The honest Italian tale of the laughs, the panics and the awe