I am beginning the thought/planning process for a first trip to Europe year after next when I retire from teaching. Most likely it will be me (mom) and daughter (18 now). Possibly 20 something son, but he will be working, Dad, not a traveler unfortunately.
I went to England in college for a whirlwind spring break sports team week and definitely want to return to that country. Daughter is a fanatic about Shakespeare,and history. We both want to go to London, and would also like to spend some time in the English countryside. (I have read so many novels with that setting, it would seem criminal to me not to see it in person!)
While I would love to visit Paris, she likes the idea of Italy. If we had a budget of $5000 for the trip (not incl air - we would travel from any of the Washington DC airports) and probably no more than 10- 12 days ( so she could work her summer job), should we include Paris or Italy? Or should we just keep it to one country and really see a lot? I would love to go to Paris, she is keen on Italy, but I don't want to overextend ourselves.
I know that many of you take repeated trips abroad (I am very envious! but this seriously may be a trip that isn't followed by another one (at least for a looong time) What are your thoughts given your experiences? Thank you so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Can I visit Rotterdam on a 6h40 min layover in Schiphol?
- 2 Scotland & UK: 2 weeks with Sheep & Cows
- 3 Scotland in December
- 4 Trip to Barcelona, london, Paris, and Amsterdam/Dublin
- 5 Restaurants near Cortina, Italy
- 6 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 7 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 8 Help with Crete Itinerary
- 9 4 nights Prague..then where? Need help
- 10 Plane to Train Connection-CDG to Gare De Lyon
- 11 Itinerary Help for Sicily
- 12 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 13 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 14 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 15 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 16 Granada to Seville driving day trip
- 17 Nice room in Venice in late September for £150?
- 18 10 days in London in early December
- 19 Iceland
- 20 Greece
- 21 First steps for Russian trip planning
- 22 Edinburgh to Falkirk Wheel to Glasgow
- 23 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 24 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 25 Berlin to ?