My husband and I are planning a Turkey trip for mid-September. The second half will be Istanbul, the first half coast. What I'm struggling with is whether to do the Mediterranean, the Aegean, or both.
- We like: beautiful sea views and surroundings, interesting villages, walking to restaurants, great food, local feel.
- We don't like: package holiday feel, places made just for tourists, lots of concrete development.
- We love walking around, and love beaches, but aren't paragliding types. Water sports not necessary. Beautiful water without sand beaches is fine.
- When it comes to ruins, we can take 'em or leave 'em. I know, blasphemy. But they don't need to dictate our itinerary at all.
We don't really want to stay in more than 2 locations during the coastal part. I always pick too many places, and my husband hates checking in and out of hotels, packing and schlepping. So I'm trying to limit that.
Some people have said do the Aegean side, and stick with places like Cesme, Alacati, Foca. One friend of a friend said that's where we'd find beautiful villages that haven't been spoiled by tourism and ugly condos.
In my obsessive internet research, I've read a lot about Kas.
Also, Fethiye, mentioned by otherchelebi as ticking off my boxes on this thread:
Options I'm toying with:
1) Stay just in Kas, on Kas peninsula for 5 nights. Enjoy a private terrace on the water, take day trips in the area, deal with the 10-minute drive into town. Fly in and out of Dalaman to Istanbul.
2) Stay in Kas and then somewhere in the same area, like Fethiye -- worth switching locations? Fly in and out of Dalaman to Istanbul.
3) Stay in Kas and then do the long drive up to Izmir province, stay somewhere like Alacati or Foca, fly back to Istanbul via Izmir
4) Stay in Kas or Fethiye and combine with Datca peninsula, which looked kind of amazing in otherchelebi's photos. Or, with Bozburun peninsula, where someone recommended the D-Hotel Maris.
5) Skip the Med and do Alacati/Cesme, and Cunda island or Bozcaada. Drive back to Istanbul.
Opinions? Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Driving from Viena to Frankfurt
- 2 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 3 Trip suggestion
- 4 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 5 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 6 Another tipping question: concierges
- 7 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 8 Back from Paris
- 9 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 10 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 11 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 12 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 13 Musee Carnavalet closed for now
- 14 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 15 Ireland in April-Day trips from Galway base
- 16 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 17 International Flight Question
- 18 NOT our first trip to Ireland
- 19 What to wear to wedding in Sweden
- 20 One day on the Amalfi coast
- 21 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 22 Luggage Storage
- 23 LIsbon
- 24 Best method to travel from Antalya to Cappadocia?
- 25 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
Stay in Kas? Or split coastal time and drive to Izmir provence? Or Datca?