My husband and I are planning a Turkey trip for mid-September. The second half will be Istanbul, the first half coast. What I'm struggling with is whether to do the Mediterranean, the Aegean, or both.
- We like: beautiful sea views and surroundings, interesting villages, walking to restaurants, great food, local feel.
- We don't like: package holiday feel, places made just for tourists, lots of concrete development.
- We love walking around, and love beaches, but aren't paragliding types. Water sports not necessary. Beautiful water without sand beaches is fine.
- When it comes to ruins, we can take 'em or leave 'em. I know, blasphemy. But they don't need to dictate our itinerary at all.
We don't really want to stay in more than 2 locations during the coastal part. I always pick too many places, and my husband hates checking in and out of hotels, packing and schlepping. So I'm trying to limit that.
Some people have said do the Aegean side, and stick with places like Cesme, Alacati, Foca. One friend of a friend said that's where we'd find beautiful villages that haven't been spoiled by tourism and ugly condos.
In my obsessive internet research, I've read a lot about Kas.
Also, Fethiye, mentioned by otherchelebi as ticking off my boxes on this thread:
Options I'm toying with:
1) Stay just in Kas, on Kas peninsula for 5 nights. Enjoy a private terrace on the water, take day trips in the area, deal with the 10-minute drive into town. Fly in and out of Dalaman to Istanbul.
2) Stay in Kas and then somewhere in the same area, like Fethiye -- worth switching locations? Fly in and out of Dalaman to Istanbul.
3) Stay in Kas and then do the long drive up to Izmir province, stay somewhere like Alacati or Foca, fly back to Istanbul via Izmir
4) Stay in Kas or Fethiye and combine with Datca peninsula, which looked kind of amazing in otherchelebi's photos. Or, with Bozburun peninsula, where someone recommended the D-Hotel Maris.
5) Skip the Med and do Alacati/Cesme, and Cunda island or Bozcaada. Drive back to Istanbul.
Opinions? Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 2 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 3 Paris to Italy
- 4 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes
- 5 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 6 Barcelona alternative
- 7 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 8 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 9 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 10 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 11 Iceland early december visit
- 12 Frankfurt to UK
- 13 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 14 God Save the Queen?
- 15 Road trip with our dog
- 16 Milan or Turin
- 17 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 18 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 19 9 Days in Spain
- 20 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 21 Visiting Plitivce National Park
- 22 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 23 Spanish Medical Providers
- 24 Italy Car Scam
- 25 Undiscovered Places in Paris
Stay in Kas? Or split coastal time and drive to Izmir provence? Or Datca?