My husband and I are planning a Turkey trip for mid-September. The second half will be Istanbul, the first half coast. What I'm struggling with is whether to do the Mediterranean, the Aegean, or both.
- We like: beautiful sea views and surroundings, interesting villages, walking to restaurants, great food, local feel.
- We don't like: package holiday feel, places made just for tourists, lots of concrete development.
- We love walking around, and love beaches, but aren't paragliding types. Water sports not necessary. Beautiful water without sand beaches is fine.
- When it comes to ruins, we can take 'em or leave 'em. I know, blasphemy. But they don't need to dictate our itinerary at all.
We don't really want to stay in more than 2 locations during the coastal part. I always pick too many places, and my husband hates checking in and out of hotels, packing and schlepping. So I'm trying to limit that.
Some people have said do the Aegean side, and stick with places like Cesme, Alacati, Foca. One friend of a friend said that's where we'd find beautiful villages that haven't been spoiled by tourism and ugly condos.
In my obsessive internet research, I've read a lot about Kas.
Also, Fethiye, mentioned by otherchelebi as ticking off my boxes on this thread:
Options I'm toying with:
1) Stay just in Kas, on Kas peninsula for 5 nights. Enjoy a private terrace on the water, take day trips in the area, deal with the 10-minute drive into town. Fly in and out of Dalaman to Istanbul.
2) Stay in Kas and then somewhere in the same area, like Fethiye -- worth switching locations? Fly in and out of Dalaman to Istanbul.
3) Stay in Kas and then do the long drive up to Izmir province, stay somewhere like Alacati or Foca, fly back to Istanbul via Izmir
4) Stay in Kas or Fethiye and combine with Datca peninsula, which looked kind of amazing in otherchelebi's photos. Or, with Bozburun peninsula, where someone recommended the D-Hotel Maris.
5) Skip the Med and do Alacati/Cesme, and Cunda island or Bozcaada. Drive back to Istanbul.
Opinions? Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help with Crete Itinerary
- 2 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 3 Granada to Seville driving day trip
- 4 Happy birthday ATM
- 5 tickets for Wimbledon
- 6 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 7 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 8 Day Trips from Zug in Switzerland
- 9 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 10 Trains from Istanbul to Budapest
- 11 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 12 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 13 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 14 Travel from Cinque Terra to Pezenaz, France
- 15 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 16 B&Bs in Pisa, Parma & Bologna, Hotel in Milan
- 17 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 18 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 19 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 20 Spain - day driver advice
- 21 Sitting at a cafe watching the world go by - hmmm...
- 22 London with Teens Trip Report
- 23 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 24 Dublin & Environs with Teens Trip Report
- 25 Lake Como AREA questions
Stay in Kas? Or split coastal time and drive to Izmir provence? Or Datca?