My husband and I are planning a Turkey trip for mid-September. The second half will be Istanbul, the first half coast. What I'm struggling with is whether to do the Mediterranean, the Aegean, or both.
- We like: beautiful sea views and surroundings, interesting villages, walking to restaurants, great food, local feel.
- We don't like: package holiday feel, places made just for tourists, lots of concrete development.
- We love walking around, and love beaches, but aren't paragliding types. Water sports not necessary. Beautiful water without sand beaches is fine.
- When it comes to ruins, we can take 'em or leave 'em. I know, blasphemy. But they don't need to dictate our itinerary at all.
We don't really want to stay in more than 2 locations during the coastal part. I always pick too many places, and my husband hates checking in and out of hotels, packing and schlepping. So I'm trying to limit that.
Some people have said do the Aegean side, and stick with places like Cesme, Alacati, Foca. One friend of a friend said that's where we'd find beautiful villages that haven't been spoiled by tourism and ugly condos.
In my obsessive internet research, I've read a lot about Kas.
Also, Fethiye, mentioned by otherchelebi as ticking off my boxes on this thread:
Options I'm toying with:
1) Stay just in Kas, on Kas peninsula for 5 nights. Enjoy a private terrace on the water, take day trips in the area, deal with the 10-minute drive into town. Fly in and out of Dalaman to Istanbul.
2) Stay in Kas and then somewhere in the same area, like Fethiye -- worth switching locations? Fly in and out of Dalaman to Istanbul.
3) Stay in Kas and then do the long drive up to Izmir province, stay somewhere like Alacati or Foca, fly back to Istanbul via Izmir
4) Stay in Kas or Fethiye and combine with Datca peninsula, which looked kind of amazing in otherchelebi's photos. Or, with Bozburun peninsula, where someone recommended the D-Hotel Maris.
5) Skip the Med and do Alacati/Cesme, and Cunda island or Bozcaada. Drive back to Istanbul.
Opinions? Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Traveling Solo to the Baltics
- 2 Italy for Christmas Week
- 3 How much time to allow between arrival at CDG and train departure?
- 4 Two for One Days OUt
- 5 restaurants in Marais district
- 6 About to buy tickets to Greece - advice please!
- 7 Shoes in Scotland
- 8 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 9 A Month stay in Southern France
- 10 Roughing out a train/car trip from London to Scotland
- 11 Question about National Visa to Tourist Visa
- 12 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 13 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 14 Northern Italy 11 days Milan in/out
- 15 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 16 Chilling in the Cyclades May 2014--Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Santorini, Athens
- 17 B&B suggestions for Dublin, Kinsale, Killarney, Ennis
- 18 A Week In Athens - Trip Report
- 19 Easiest London Airport for Transfer To/From Heathrow
- 20 Honeymoon in April-May 2017: Spain or Greece?
- 21 France & Italy, May or June
- 22 Aug 2017 - Italy with Boys (12 & 7 yr old)
- 23 Engadine Valley help
- 24 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 25 Andalusia March 2 - March 11 Barcelona to Lisbon
Stay in Kas? Or split coastal time and drive to Izmir provence? Or Datca?