My husband and I are planning a Turkey trip for mid-September. The second half will be Istanbul, the first half coast. What I'm struggling with is whether to do the Mediterranean, the Aegean, or both.
- We like: beautiful sea views and surroundings, interesting villages, walking to restaurants, great food, local feel.
- We don't like: package holiday feel, places made just for tourists, lots of concrete development.
- We love walking around, and love beaches, but aren't paragliding types. Water sports not necessary. Beautiful water without sand beaches is fine.
- When it comes to ruins, we can take 'em or leave 'em. I know, blasphemy. But they don't need to dictate our itinerary at all.
We don't really want to stay in more than 2 locations during the coastal part. I always pick too many places, and my husband hates checking in and out of hotels, packing and schlepping. So I'm trying to limit that.
Some people have said do the Aegean side, and stick with places like Cesme, Alacati, Foca. One friend of a friend said that's where we'd find beautiful villages that haven't been spoiled by tourism and ugly condos.
In my obsessive internet research, I've read a lot about Kas.
Also, Fethiye, mentioned by otherchelebi as ticking off my boxes on this thread:
Options I'm toying with:
1) Stay just in Kas, on Kas peninsula for 5 nights. Enjoy a private terrace on the water, take day trips in the area, deal with the 10-minute drive into town. Fly in and out of Dalaman to Istanbul.
2) Stay in Kas and then somewhere in the same area, like Fethiye -- worth switching locations? Fly in and out of Dalaman to Istanbul.
3) Stay in Kas and then do the long drive up to Izmir province, stay somewhere like Alacati or Foca, fly back to Istanbul via Izmir
4) Stay in Kas or Fethiye and combine with Datca peninsula, which looked kind of amazing in otherchelebi's photos. Or, with Bozburun peninsula, where someone recommended the D-Hotel Maris.
5) Skip the Med and do Alacati/Cesme, and Cunda island or Bozcaada. Drive back to Istanbul.
Opinions? Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Base in Rhine or Mosel?
- 2 Les Invalides Night Show
- 3 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 4 Black Forest base 7-10 days - public transport
- 5 barcelona neighborhood
- 6 Jamikins? Other Italy travelers? Need car info, please.
- 7 Which Day?
- 8 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 9 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 10 Les bons plans de Whathello - St Tropez - Resto
- 11 Support Barcelona, Brussels, Paris, etc
- 12 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 13 Help with Spain/Portugal itinerary 33 days
- 14 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 15 Tracking the Weather
- 16 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 17 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 18 Itinerary Three Weeks Greece Fall 2018
- 19 Dublin to Dun Laoughaire on a Sunday
- 20 Berlin - Grouping attractions by location
- 21 Good mobile plan for traveller
- 22 First trip to Greece (last minute!)
- 23 Shorts in South of France?
- 24 Van Crashes into crowded street in Barcelona
- 25 Europe itinerary help!
Stay in Kas? Or split coastal time and drive to Izmir provence? Or Datca?