Baltics Trip Report Summary
In May and June 2016, I took a 2.5 week solo trip to the Baltic States – Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia - and then from Helsinki took a ferry to St. Petersburg, Russia for three days. Then I took the ferry back to Helsinki, flew to the Netherlands for a few days, then flew home to the US.
I have posted a detailed “travel blog” (trip report) on my website below, including more detail, pictures, etc:
I'll post just a summary trip report here.
Here are links to view my photos from various cities:
St. Petersburg: www.portlandbridges.com/00,M25D0IMG38915,453,1,0,0-st.-petersburg-russia.html
Inside Winter Palace (Hermitage): www.portlandbridges.com/00,S1100IMG05729,454,1,0,0-hermitage.html
Ferry to/from St. Petersburg: www.portlandbridges.com/00,S1100IMG05695,452,1,0,0-s.-petersburg-ferry.html
The Hague: www.portlandbridges.com/00,M25D0IMG40182,457,1,0,0-netherlands.html
The primary purpose of my trip was scenic photography. I love history but have a short attention span and get bored in museums quickly. (In St. Petersburg, though, it's almost mandatory to visit the Hermitage – and I did.) Mostly I walked around, explored the towns, and took lots of pictures.
In May, one of my biggest worries was rainy weather; historically, most of the cities I was to visit were prone to a good amount of rain. But I was very lucky: I had almost perfect weather most of the trip, with only a few brief rain showers on a few days (I did not even open my umbrella, maybe the first trip I since about 2007!). While I was in Europe, Paris for example experienced awful flooding.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 2 Cornwall of the beaten path suggestions
- 3 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 4 2 Months in Sicily
- 5 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 6 Splitting 11 days between Amsterdam and Dubrovnik
- 7 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 8 Experience with Earthbound Tours
- 9 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 10 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 11 London GTG in June, Anyone?
- 12 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 13 Azores
- 14 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 15 Sundays in Puglia
- 16 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 17 Prague
- 18 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 19 What tips can you give about packing?
- 20 Sim Card Options
- 21 Lake Geneva / Great St Bernard Pass / Milan / Naples
- 22 Amsterdam hotels during summer
- 23 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 24 Madrid, Barcelona and .....
- 25 Como Bus to Bellagio
St. Petersburg, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia + Helsinki, Delft, & Amsterdam
Baltics Trip Report Summary