So, Hi everybody.
Here I am in St. Petersburg Russia. Quite a bit different than St. Petersburg, Fla. Anyways, our plan for a traditional Russian meal was derailed. We got slightly lost and the rain did not help. But, we found ourselves at a lovely restaurant called 1000 nights. Not really having a clue what kind of food they served, we figured what the hell and gave it a shot. Quite tasty decision. It was a restaurant specializing in Armenian food. I had a divine appetizer of beans filled with fragrant spices and herbs, unique and unidentifiable to me. Frank had a traditional mutton soup, that also left us curious about these flavors. The decor around us was hooka pipes and Armenian music jammed in the background. Frank had the local beer, and I saved the vodka for another night and had an Armenian specialty tasting similar to cream soda with almond and tarragon. Our next course was a delicious bubbly cheesy dish of eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers,
cooked in a clay bowl. It was fresh and flavorful . Frank had a similar dish with sausage and chicken. Our meal was complimented with banter of past trips and exciting plans for this week. Being slightly indulgent, we partook in dessert. Frank had an Armenian version of Baklava. Filo dough pastry with nuts and honey. Mine was a baked apple with crushed walnuts and honey. It was a treat but did not carry too much guilt with it. The whole meal was quite economical. The discussion between the waitress and us, was frustrating and at times contained sign language, drawings and other forms of communication.
We walked around the rainy , bustling streets, past beautiful architecture. It was a short night as we need our rest from all the travel. I promise to be more lively and entertaining as I regain my strength tomorrow.
Brooke and Frank~~
St. Petersburg Day One
So, Hi everybody.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Granada: stay in the Albayzin?
- 2 Help!! Need to pick up train tickets in France and credit card stolen
- 3 International driving permit required in France?
- 4 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 5 Looking for review of 1-day Pompeii/Naples Itinerary Please
- 6 Please critique my Croatia/Slovenia itinerary
- 7 Speeding ticket in Germany: how do I handle this?
- 8 Scotland day tour
- 9 Tour Company in Russia
- 10 restaurants / pubs near British museum / Bloomsbury
- 11 Academic Tours and Travel Malta and Sicily Delight Tour
- 12 7 weeks Europe with toddler - Itinerary advice
- 13 England, Scotland, Ireland, and France... Where do I start?! (three weeks)
- 14 Please help us maximize our time in each European city
- 15 Wedding In Positano Italy Sept 2014- NEED YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS
- 16 Best Car service from Heathrow airport to Waldorf Hilton in London
- 17 Trip report: solo female traveler in Spain
- 18 Trip to Pyrenees
- 19 London - Paris - Venice - Flight & Transport Questions
- 20 Cyprus travel logistics: north to south and back again
- 21 What do you know about using the iPhone GPS app in Europe?
- 22 Advice and suggestions welcome for 2 month trip
- 23 Buying Train Tickets on line in advance of Trip to Italy
- 24 What should we tip our tour guide?
- 25 Vacation Pictures