So, Hi everybody.
Here I am in St. Petersburg Russia. Quite a bit different than St. Petersburg, Fla. Anyways, our plan for a traditional Russian meal was derailed. We got slightly lost and the rain did not help. But, we found ourselves at a lovely restaurant called 1000 nights. Not really having a clue what kind of food they served, we figured what the hell and gave it a shot. Quite tasty decision. It was a restaurant specializing in Armenian food. I had a divine appetizer of beans filled with fragrant spices and herbs, unique and unidentifiable to me. Frank had a traditional mutton soup, that also left us curious about these flavors. The decor around us was hooka pipes and Armenian music jammed in the background. Frank had the local beer, and I saved the vodka for another night and had an Armenian specialty tasting similar to cream soda with almond and tarragon. Our next course was a delicious bubbly cheesy dish of eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers,
cooked in a clay bowl. It was fresh and flavorful . Frank had a similar dish with sausage and chicken. Our meal was complimented with banter of past trips and exciting plans for this week. Being slightly indulgent, we partook in dessert. Frank had an Armenian version of Baklava. Filo dough pastry with nuts and honey. Mine was a baked apple with crushed walnuts and honey. It was a treat but did not carry too much guilt with it. The whole meal was quite economical. The discussion between the waitress and us, was frustrating and at times contained sign language, drawings and other forms of communication.
We walked around the rainy , bustling streets, past beautiful architecture. It was a short night as we need our rest from all the travel. I promise to be more lively and entertaining as I regain my strength tomorrow.
Brooke and Frank~~
St. Petersburg Day One
So, Hi everybody.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to stay in Rome
- 2 Estonia Amber
- 3 Vatican - Wednesday General Audience
- 4 20 days in Central Europe (female traveling solo)
- 5 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 6 Munich
- 7 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 8 Soccer/futbol in Madrid
- 9 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 10 Itinerary Help 10 days in Europe over Easter Week
- 11 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 12 3 Week Trip to Italy and Paris - Suggestions
- 13 Italy
- 14 Florence to Naples by car road trip ideas
- 15 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 16 Netherlands holiday with a 2.5 year old
- 17 Online hotel reservation sites reliable?
- 18 October travel to Northern France--early or late?
- 19 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 20 OUR BIG ADVENTURE...2 WEEKS and counting
- 21 Two days between St. Ives and London
- 22 UK for 12 days !
- 23 Location and amenities in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 24 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 25 Just Another Macarons, Hot Chocolate, Tucked into Bed by 11 Paris Report