So, Hi everybody.
Here I am in St. Petersburg Russia. Quite a bit different than St. Petersburg, Fla. Anyways, our plan for a traditional Russian meal was derailed. We got slightly lost and the rain did not help. But, we found ourselves at a lovely restaurant called 1000 nights. Not really having a clue what kind of food they served, we figured what the hell and gave it a shot. Quite tasty decision. It was a restaurant specializing in Armenian food. I had a divine appetizer of beans filled with fragrant spices and herbs, unique and unidentifiable to me. Frank had a traditional mutton soup, that also left us curious about these flavors. The decor around us was hooka pipes and Armenian music jammed in the background. Frank had the local beer, and I saved the vodka for another night and had an Armenian specialty tasting similar to cream soda with almond and tarragon. Our next course was a delicious bubbly cheesy dish of eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers,
cooked in a clay bowl. It was fresh and flavorful . Frank had a similar dish with sausage and chicken. Our meal was complimented with banter of past trips and exciting plans for this week. Being slightly indulgent, we partook in dessert. Frank had an Armenian version of Baklava. Filo dough pastry with nuts and honey. Mine was a baked apple with crushed walnuts and honey. It was a treat but did not carry too much guilt with it. The whole meal was quite economical. The discussion between the waitress and us, was frustrating and at times contained sign language, drawings and other forms of communication.
We walked around the rainy , bustling streets, past beautiful architecture. It was a short night as we need our rest from all the travel. I promise to be more lively and entertaining as I regain my strength tomorrow.
Brooke and Frank~~
St. Petersburg Day One
So, Hi everybody.
- 1 London at Easter
- 2 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 3 Prague - must see
- 4 Travel by train or bus
- 5 Confirming..."Buy train tickets the day of departure" advice....M/V/Rome
- 6 Turkey: Istanbul, Ephesus, Cappadocia
- 7 Car in Prague
- 8 Which travel plan?
- 9 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 10 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 11 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 12 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 13 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 14 Family European winter holiday
- 15 To Paris and Provence in June
- 16 Paris to Colmar by Car...Best Route/Stops along the way?
- 17 Planning a holiday
- 18 Rome itinerary check over New Years....comments?? suggestions??
- 19 Castles, Palaces and Caves-9 Days in Puglia and Basilicata
- 20 suggestions for a base in france -rouen to st malo in 4 days
- 21 How to Travel from Seville to Malaga
- 22 20 day Backpacking Trip
- 23 4 Women Exploring London Dec 19-23
- 24 Need help with picking a place to stay between Paris and Bari
- 25 Le Marche and Rome - Part 3 - Recanati