So, Hi everybody.
Here I am in St. Petersburg Russia. Quite a bit different than St. Petersburg, Fla. Anyways, our plan for a traditional Russian meal was derailed. We got slightly lost and the rain did not help. But, we found ourselves at a lovely restaurant called 1000 nights. Not really having a clue what kind of food they served, we figured what the hell and gave it a shot. Quite tasty decision. It was a restaurant specializing in Armenian food. I had a divine appetizer of beans filled with fragrant spices and herbs, unique and unidentifiable to me. Frank had a traditional mutton soup, that also left us curious about these flavors. The decor around us was hooka pipes and Armenian music jammed in the background. Frank had the local beer, and I saved the vodka for another night and had an Armenian specialty tasting similar to cream soda with almond and tarragon. Our next course was a delicious bubbly cheesy dish of eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers,
cooked in a clay bowl. It was fresh and flavorful . Frank had a similar dish with sausage and chicken. Our meal was complimented with banter of past trips and exciting plans for this week. Being slightly indulgent, we partook in dessert. Frank had an Armenian version of Baklava. Filo dough pastry with nuts and honey. Mine was a baked apple with crushed walnuts and honey. It was a treat but did not carry too much guilt with it. The whole meal was quite economical. The discussion between the waitress and us, was frustrating and at times contained sign language, drawings and other forms of communication.
We walked around the rainy , bustling streets, past beautiful architecture. It was a short night as we need our rest from all the travel. I promise to be more lively and entertaining as I regain my strength tomorrow.
Brooke and Frank~~
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Can you locate this picture in Greece?
- 2 Verona to/around Lake Garda: Sights
- 3 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 4 Hotels in Turin
- 5 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 6 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 7 Venice Airport Car Return Center to Water Taxi Shuttle Area
- 8 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 9 Breakfast Outside of Dublin off M7 (Driving to West Coast)
- 10 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 11 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 12 Warning about visa subcontractor VFS Global in Chicago
- 13 3 days solo in London
- 14 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 15 Where to stay first night near Manchester
- 16 Help on ancient history route
- 17 Chania
- 18 Days to Avoid Roussillon, Gordes, etc.
- 19 Now to Madrid
- 20 Lunch in Lake Garda
- 21 Trip Report: The last hurrah? A fortnight in Lake Como
- 22 Village visit in Northern Italy
- 23 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 24 Riviera di Ponente in mid October
- 25 If you visit London, go to the Kew Gardens!
So, Hi everybody.