So, Hi everybody.
Here I am in St. Petersburg Russia. Quite a bit different than St. Petersburg, Fla. Anyways, our plan for a traditional Russian meal was derailed. We got slightly lost and the rain did not help. But, we found ourselves at a lovely restaurant called 1000 nights. Not really having a clue what kind of food they served, we figured what the hell and gave it a shot. Quite tasty decision. It was a restaurant specializing in Armenian food. I had a divine appetizer of beans filled with fragrant spices and herbs, unique and unidentifiable to me. Frank had a traditional mutton soup, that also left us curious about these flavors. The decor around us was hooka pipes and Armenian music jammed in the background. Frank had the local beer, and I saved the vodka for another night and had an Armenian specialty tasting similar to cream soda with almond and tarragon. Our next course was a delicious bubbly cheesy dish of eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers,
cooked in a clay bowl. It was fresh and flavorful . Frank had a similar dish with sausage and chicken. Our meal was complimented with banter of past trips and exciting plans for this week. Being slightly indulgent, we partook in dessert. Frank had an Armenian version of Baklava. Filo dough pastry with nuts and honey. Mine was a baked apple with crushed walnuts and honey. It was a treat but did not carry too much guilt with it. The whole meal was quite economical. The discussion between the waitress and us, was frustrating and at times contained sign language, drawings and other forms of communication.
We walked around the rainy , bustling streets, past beautiful architecture. It was a short night as we need our rest from all the travel. I promise to be more lively and entertaining as I regain my strength tomorrow.
Brooke and Frank~~
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris Under Seige...
- 2 Rue des Rosiers
- 3 Barcelona to Bordeaux and back in two weeks
- 4 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 5 Pyrenees villages sth of Lourdes
- 6 How to go from bergen train station to bergen airport?
- 7 First Trip to Europe!
- 8 Scotland Trip
- 9 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 10 Glastonbury vs Bath
- 11 Received Black Friday ads feom Europe
- 12 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 13 2 adults & 2 kids in a hotel room in Iceland?
- 14 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris
- 15 Edinburgh apartment choice, please advise
- 16 visa appointment experience
- 17 COP 21 transportation disruptions 29-30 November 2015
- 18 Which Heathrow Airport Car Service Would You Use?
- 19 A Short Holiday Kiev and Chernobyl
- 20 Malta - 4 days before Cristmas
- 21 4 week trip Turkey
- 22 Holiday in Austria
- 23 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 24 How a Greek DIY expert ended up on a Greek Island Cruise
- 25 One day cruise stop Catania Sicily Trip Report
So, Hi everybody.