So, Hi everybody.
Here I am in St. Petersburg Russia. Quite a bit different than St. Petersburg, Fla. Anyways, our plan for a traditional Russian meal was derailed. We got slightly lost and the rain did not help. But, we found ourselves at a lovely restaurant called 1000 nights. Not really having a clue what kind of food they served, we figured what the hell and gave it a shot. Quite tasty decision. It was a restaurant specializing in Armenian food. I had a divine appetizer of beans filled with fragrant spices and herbs, unique and unidentifiable to me. Frank had a traditional mutton soup, that also left us curious about these flavors. The decor around us was hooka pipes and Armenian music jammed in the background. Frank had the local beer, and I saved the vodka for another night and had an Armenian specialty tasting similar to cream soda with almond and tarragon. Our next course was a delicious bubbly cheesy dish of eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers,
cooked in a clay bowl. It was fresh and flavorful . Frank had a similar dish with sausage and chicken. Our meal was complimented with banter of past trips and exciting plans for this week. Being slightly indulgent, we partook in dessert. Frank had an Armenian version of Baklava. Filo dough pastry with nuts and honey. Mine was a baked apple with crushed walnuts and honey. It was a treat but did not carry too much guilt with it. The whole meal was quite economical. The discussion between the waitress and us, was frustrating and at times contained sign language, drawings and other forms of communication.
We walked around the rainy , bustling streets, past beautiful architecture. It was a short night as we need our rest from all the travel. I promise to be more lively and entertaining as I regain my strength tomorrow.
Brooke and Frank~~
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 2 1 week in Cornwall, England
- 3 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 4 Christmas in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 5 Bern, Switzerland: Anything Open on Jan 1st?
- 6 Sweden, Denmark or Both ? 8 days in Aug
- 7 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 8 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 9 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 10 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 11 Athens or So. Spain in winter
- 12 4 weeks in Italy July with children
- 13 Corsica experts: Where should I spend an extra night?
- 14 8 Days in Corsica--Not Enough!
- 15 Italy by car
- 16 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 17 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 18 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 19 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 20 T Mobile Does it Again
- 21 Melk/Wachau Day Trip from Vienna
- 22 8 days in Madrid/Sevilla/Granada
- 23 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?
- 24 Seville Itinerary
- 25 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
So, Hi everybody.