So, Hi everybody.
Here I am in St. Petersburg Russia. Quite a bit different than St. Petersburg, Fla. Anyways, our plan for a traditional Russian meal was derailed. We got slightly lost and the rain did not help. But, we found ourselves at a lovely restaurant called 1000 nights. Not really having a clue what kind of food they served, we figured what the hell and gave it a shot. Quite tasty decision. It was a restaurant specializing in Armenian food. I had a divine appetizer of beans filled with fragrant spices and herbs, unique and unidentifiable to me. Frank had a traditional mutton soup, that also left us curious about these flavors. The decor around us was hooka pipes and Armenian music jammed in the background. Frank had the local beer, and I saved the vodka for another night and had an Armenian specialty tasting similar to cream soda with almond and tarragon. Our next course was a delicious bubbly cheesy dish of eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers,
cooked in a clay bowl. It was fresh and flavorful . Frank had a similar dish with sausage and chicken. Our meal was complimented with banter of past trips and exciting plans for this week. Being slightly indulgent, we partook in dessert. Frank had an Armenian version of Baklava. Filo dough pastry with nuts and honey. Mine was a baked apple with crushed walnuts and honey. It was a treat but did not carry too much guilt with it. The whole meal was quite economical. The discussion between the waitress and us, was frustrating and at times contained sign language, drawings and other forms of communication.
We walked around the rainy , bustling streets, past beautiful architecture. It was a short night as we need our rest from all the travel. I promise to be more lively and entertaining as I regain my strength tomorrow.
Brooke and Frank~~
St. Petersburg Day One
So, Hi everybody.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Why don't the French want to work?
- 2 DH wants Paris but I need ACoast....itinerary help!
- 3 avoiding stuffy and inflexible service at nice european resorts
- 4 Edinburgh - Mercat Tours -
- 5 Driving from Italy to France
- 6 Itinerary Feedback (Spain/Italy in April/May)
- 7 Can you see the Matterhorn at all from Bellinzona Switzerland?
- 8 Daily Bus Tours in Croatia, Slovenia and nearby countries
- 9 Train from Brussels to Amsterdam
- 10 Late night/early morning transport from Barcelona Airport to city center
- 11 Family trip - 11 days/10 nights in Italy
- 12 Wisdom needed for a itinerary in northern Italy, Bavaria and Prague
- 13 Little-kid friendly place an hour or so by train from Frankfurt airport
- 14 Italy, England, OR France in 2015: Tour Operators - Or go it alone?
- 15 Skip the Line: Small-Group Eiffel Tower Sunset Tour
- 16 Venice to Dolomites then Tuscany? Need itinerary advice
- 17 Rethymnon vs. Chania in early October?
- 18 Irish Inns and B&B Reservations
- 19 CRETE - Rethymnon area or Chania area ??
- 20 Matisse at Tate
- 21 2 weeks in Europe
- 22 3 weeks in December in Europe, need help with itinerary
- 23 Hire car seville to lisbon
- 24 Another request for itinerary help-June-arrive Lisbon; depart Barcelona-14 days
- 25 Solo Trip to Rome for Language School