So, Hi everybody.
Here I am in St. Petersburg Russia. Quite a bit different than St. Petersburg, Fla. Anyways, our plan for a traditional Russian meal was derailed. We got slightly lost and the rain did not help. But, we found ourselves at a lovely restaurant called 1000 nights. Not really having a clue what kind of food they served, we figured what the hell and gave it a shot. Quite tasty decision. It was a restaurant specializing in Armenian food. I had a divine appetizer of beans filled with fragrant spices and herbs, unique and unidentifiable to me. Frank had a traditional mutton soup, that also left us curious about these flavors. The decor around us was hooka pipes and Armenian music jammed in the background. Frank had the local beer, and I saved the vodka for another night and had an Armenian specialty tasting similar to cream soda with almond and tarragon. Our next course was a delicious bubbly cheesy dish of eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers,
cooked in a clay bowl. It was fresh and flavorful . Frank had a similar dish with sausage and chicken. Our meal was complimented with banter of past trips and exciting plans for this week. Being slightly indulgent, we partook in dessert. Frank had an Armenian version of Baklava. Filo dough pastry with nuts and honey. Mine was a baked apple with crushed walnuts and honey. It was a treat but did not carry too much guilt with it. The whole meal was quite economical. The discussion between the waitress and us, was frustrating and at times contained sign language, drawings and other forms of communication.
We walked around the rainy , bustling streets, past beautiful architecture. It was a short night as we need our rest from all the travel. I promise to be more lively and entertaining as I regain my strength tomorrow.
Brooke and Frank~~
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The Shocking Truth About Elastin In Skin !
- 2 London in a Nutshell! - Travel Report
- 3 Will I need air conditioning near Lucca in early July?
- 4 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 5 Puglia & Matera in photos
- 6 Swiss trains/Basel to Zurich
- 7 English Countryside
- 8 Stay in Multalcino or Montepulciano
- 9 What to wear visiting England and France during winter?
- 10 Flights from Croatia
- 11 Europe in late January
- 12 Looking for the Holy Grail... in a Tour of Italy
- 13 Cote d'Azure & Aix In need of your expertise-10 days in May
- 14 Sent a postcard recently from Italy?
- 15 Best European Cities for Walking Challenged
- 16 Getting from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes
- 17 Europe in the Winter for a week
- 18 Paris---baguette question???
- 19 Suggestions for Drive to Milan
- 20 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 21 Need help with train service Bologna, Rimini, Rome
- 22 First Time Europe Itinerary 8 Weeks
- 23 Madrid - time to allow for train
- 24 Scenic Driving Routes
- 25 Vienna to Bratislava
So, Hi everybody.