So, Hi everybody.
Here I am in St. Petersburg Russia. Quite a bit different than St. Petersburg, Fla. Anyways, our plan for a traditional Russian meal was derailed. We got slightly lost and the rain did not help. But, we found ourselves at a lovely restaurant called 1000 nights. Not really having a clue what kind of food they served, we figured what the hell and gave it a shot. Quite tasty decision. It was a restaurant specializing in Armenian food. I had a divine appetizer of beans filled with fragrant spices and herbs, unique and unidentifiable to me. Frank had a traditional mutton soup, that also left us curious about these flavors. The decor around us was hooka pipes and Armenian music jammed in the background. Frank had the local beer, and I saved the vodka for another night and had an Armenian specialty tasting similar to cream soda with almond and tarragon. Our next course was a delicious bubbly cheesy dish of eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers,
cooked in a clay bowl. It was fresh and flavorful . Frank had a similar dish with sausage and chicken. Our meal was complimented with banter of past trips and exciting plans for this week. Being slightly indulgent, we partook in dessert. Frank had an Armenian version of Baklava. Filo dough pastry with nuts and honey. Mine was a baked apple with crushed walnuts and honey. It was a treat but did not carry too much guilt with it. The whole meal was quite economical. The discussion between the waitress and us, was frustrating and at times contained sign language, drawings and other forms of communication.
We walked around the rainy , bustling streets, past beautiful architecture. It was a short night as we need our rest from all the travel. I promise to be more lively and entertaining as I regain my strength tomorrow.
Brooke and Frank~~
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting from Bordeaux Gare to the airport
- 2 Thinking about the Fjords
- 3 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 4 What's a must to buy in Paris?
- 5 Italy itinerary - input needed, please!!
- 6 Help with 12 day UK Itinerary!
- 7 For Paris-knowledgable - best neighborhood to stay a week-plus
- 8 UK in May and June
- 9 Mr & Mrs Annhig need your help planning bucket list trip to Switzerland
- 10 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 11 Berlin activities -need help with organisation, please
- 12 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 13 23 day honeymoon to Greece
- 14 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 15 Globus Iberian Tour
- 16 Spain: train/rental car help
- 17 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 18 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 19 Budapest Card
- 20 First trip to the UK, please help me
- 21 Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch
- 22 Copenhagen,Helsinki,St. Petersburg in mid September
- 23 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 24 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain
- 25 Bath/Cotswolds
So, Hi everybody.