We are arriving in Barcelona on 9th September via ferry from Italy with a car. Our plan is to spend 3 nights (ferry arrives in evening) so really only 2 days, exploring Barcelona.
Our oldest daughter aged 14 needs to be at San Lorenzo de El Escorial, about 50km outside Madrid on 21st September to attend school there for a month. She is in a Spanish immersion class in Brisbane, Australia so is fairly fluent in Spanish though none of the rest of can speak anything other than English. The plan is for her to pick up as much language as possible as she is missing out on lessons here for 3 weeks prior, when the rest of her class learn the colloquial Spanish. We can visit Madrid after we have dropped her off as she will do a weekend trip there with her classmates.
So where to we go for the intervening days? We are trying not to rush too much from place to place, but I have no real desire to go for single nights here and there as for this many people apartments are cheaper and the minimum stay is usually 2-3 nights.
Our thoughts were to travel down the coast to Granada, Cordova and Seville, but apart from this I have no idea where to go and if there is a better route than freeways as we will definitely need to stop at least overnight on the way. Any itinery suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Reading suggestions for other people everyone suggests flying out of Barcelona as there is not much between there and Southern Spain of interest for a short trip. This is of course not possible due to the car. The kids are pretty good travelers as we often travel long distances here with them. A full day travelling though does not hold much appeal for the driver!
After we have dropped off our daughter we are heading up to Paris with the 3 boys aged 12,9,7 to fly out on the 29th September. I am less worried about this but have booked absolutely no accommodation after the 11th September. So suggestions of 1-2 spots to stay en route to Paris would be appreciated too!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 USA YAHOO Password Recovery CONTACT ☎ 1:888:482:3831 Technical SUPP0RT 24*7
- 2 Visiting the Dordogne/Lot
- 3 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 4 Southern Italy Help - Part 2
- 5 A week all around Sicily - May 2017
- 6 Scotland - We're Here!
- 7 Paris for children
- 8 IWM
- 9 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 10 Cash in Greece ATMs
- 11 Feedback please on my itinerary Poland and Lithuania
- 12 Guided Vatican Tours
- 13 Avoid Europcar!
- 14 Apartment/accomodation in Dubrovnik and Split
- 15 Anyone travel with to Europe with ISE when they were in college?
- 16 Couscous
- 17 Best Masseria in Puglia
- 18 Train / Calabria
- 19 Nice/Villefranche/Monaco
- 20 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 21 London in Winter Report
- 22 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz - Memorial Day Special
- 23 16 days in France and Italy
- 24 Do I need a Swiss rail pass?
- 25 Changing Planes at Fiumicino