We are a family traveling with 3 kids and a mother-in-law this June to Spain. My youngest is 7 years of age and my other kids are ages 19 and 14 so I do not worry about them except for the time it takes to organize and get everyone ready. We plan to go be in Madrid (5 days), Toledo (day-trip), Segovia (day-trip), Cordoba (day-trip), Granada (2 days) and Sevilla (3 days) for a total of 10 days.
My questions are:
1) is this itinerary too aggressive with all the people we have, in particular a 7 yr old?
2) Comments on hotels -- it seems it is too late to get an apartment that can accommodate 6 for our 4 nights in Madrid.
3) Car traveling issues
Madrid - I'm currently considering Ateneo Hotel and Hostal Gonzalo. My concern with Ateneo is the proximity to the red district (prostitution). Can anyone comment on either?
Granada- Hotel Anacapri
Sevilla - Hotel YH Giralda
Also, traveling by train is too expensive for all of us (over $4000!) so we will be renting a minivan. Concerns: insurance does not cover windows or tires? what is the likelihood that we would get a brake-in? Will parking a large van be a problem?
Finally, my main concern is whether this trip will be daunting for me (with such a large party especially with a 7 year old. She is happy and pleasant and rarely complains but we will be doing lots of walking and the food/eating times will definitely be a challenge (no seafood allowed). I want this to be an enjoyable trip for my family but given the cost involved and all I want to do, I am not sure if I should proceed. (I will be purchasing non-refundable tickets within the next week!)
Comments and suggestions, please. I would love to take everyone but I do have the option of just going with my husband (which would mean we could stay at the Ritz in Madrid, Parador in Granada and the Alfonso in Sevilla!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 8 in Rome or Rome + Amalfi in June
- 2 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 3 base in brussels
- 4 Seeking reasonable itinerary for 16 days
- 5 Rome or Venice first
- 6 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 7 Eloping in London, honeymooning in Paris!
- 8 Uber vs. TfL
- 9 Berlin
- 10 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 11 Lunch near Amboise, Loire Valley
- 12 One free day in Barcelona
- 13 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 14 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 15 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 16 Rest in Peace, Colonel Chilcott
- 17 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Andalusia
- 18 Lille Braderie 2017
- 19 Wine Shipping from Puglia
- 20 Apartment Montreux area
- 21 Trip report: Portugal, Barcelona and Switzerland
- 22 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 23 Trains in Italy
- 24 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 25 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
Spain Travel with Kids - Help with Itinerary and Expectations