We are a family traveling with 3 kids and a mother-in-law this June to Spain. My youngest is 7 years of age and my other kids are ages 19 and 14 so I do not worry about them except for the time it takes to organize and get everyone ready. We plan to go be in Madrid (5 days), Toledo (day-trip), Segovia (day-trip), Cordoba (day-trip), Granada (2 days) and Sevilla (3 days) for a total of 10 days.
My questions are:
1) is this itinerary too aggressive with all the people we have, in particular a 7 yr old?
2) Comments on hotels -- it seems it is too late to get an apartment that can accommodate 6 for our 4 nights in Madrid.
3) Car traveling issues
Madrid - I'm currently considering Ateneo Hotel and Hostal Gonzalo. My concern with Ateneo is the proximity to the red district (prostitution). Can anyone comment on either?
Granada- Hotel Anacapri
Sevilla - Hotel YH Giralda
Also, traveling by train is too expensive for all of us (over $4000!) so we will be renting a minivan. Concerns: insurance does not cover windows or tires? what is the likelihood that we would get a brake-in? Will parking a large van be a problem?
Finally, my main concern is whether this trip will be daunting for me (with such a large party especially with a 7 year old. She is happy and pleasant and rarely complains but we will be doing lots of walking and the food/eating times will definitely be a challenge (no seafood allowed). I want this to be an enjoyable trip for my family but given the cost involved and all I want to do, I am not sure if I should proceed. (I will be purchasing non-refundable tickets within the next week!)
Comments and suggestions, please. I would love to take everyone but I do have the option of just going with my husband (which would mean we could stay at the Ritz in Madrid, Parador in Granada and the Alfonso in Sevilla!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Swiss Pass vs Half Fare Card??
- 2 Suppose to leave on the 24th, still no visa
- 3 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 4 Any suggested guide or tour companies for the Acropolis?
- 5 Studying art in English in venice
- 6 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 7 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 8 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 9 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 10 Trogir or Split
- 11 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 12 Day tour from Edinburgh - Hairy Coo v/s Rabies?
- 13 Scotland
- 14 Hotels in Turin
- 15 Berlin to ?
- 16 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 17 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 18 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 19 Istria in two days
- 20 Barcelona and Paris trip report
- 21 Looking for advice about flight from Barcelona to Paris
- 22 Drive from Montepulciano to Cinque Terre
- 23 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 24 Scotland itinerary help
- 25 Rental Car pick up in Cortana
Spain Travel with Kids - Help with Itinerary and Expectations