We are a family traveling with 3 kids and a mother-in-law this June to Spain. My youngest is 7 years of age and my other kids are ages 19 and 14 so I do not worry about them except for the time it takes to organize and get everyone ready. We plan to go be in Madrid (5 days), Toledo (day-trip), Segovia (day-trip), Cordoba (day-trip), Granada (2 days) and Sevilla (3 days) for a total of 10 days.
My questions are:
1) is this itinerary too aggressive with all the people we have, in particular a 7 yr old?
2) Comments on hotels -- it seems it is too late to get an apartment that can accommodate 6 for our 4 nights in Madrid.
3) Car traveling issues
Madrid - I'm currently considering Ateneo Hotel and Hostal Gonzalo. My concern with Ateneo is the proximity to the red district (prostitution). Can anyone comment on either?
Granada- Hotel Anacapri
Sevilla - Hotel YH Giralda
Also, traveling by train is too expensive for all of us (over $4000!) so we will be renting a minivan. Concerns: insurance does not cover windows or tires? what is the likelihood that we would get a brake-in? Will parking a large van be a problem?
Finally, my main concern is whether this trip will be daunting for me (with such a large party especially with a 7 year old. She is happy and pleasant and rarely complains but we will be doing lots of walking and the food/eating times will definitely be a challenge (no seafood allowed). I want this to be an enjoyable trip for my family but given the cost involved and all I want to do, I am not sure if I should proceed. (I will be purchasing non-refundable tickets within the next week!)
Comments and suggestions, please. I would love to take everyone but I do have the option of just going with my husband (which would mean we could stay at the Ritz in Madrid, Parador in Granada and the Alfonso in Sevilla!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amsterdam and Antwerp?
- 2 places : Italy Austria Germany Switzerland France Belgium Spain
- 3 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 4 Eastern Sicily Itinerary Help Needed
- 5 Advice for Time in Cumbria and/or Yorkshire Dales
- 6 Is Dresden worth a day-trip?
- 7 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 8 Private car transportation from FCO to Central Rome
- 9 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 10 Best Date for Vatican Museums?
- 11 Europe's Most Famous Streets?
- 12 Preliminary trip planning for Portugal April 2018
- 13 first time for teens in spain-barcelona and where else?
- 14 Varenna to hotel near Milan airport
- 15 HELP: 3rd trip to France - where should I go?
- 16 Budva or Perast in Montenegro
- 17 Crannog Centre or Atholl Country Life Museum
- 18 Italy in a week
- 19 France: Perigord - Interesting Article
- 20 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 21 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 22 Provence, Strasbourg, Paris early September
- 23 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 24 3 Weeks in Scotland and Ireland
- 25 3 days in Paris then on to London what do we have to see?
Spain Travel with Kids - Help with Itinerary and Expectations