We (me, my husband and our 11 year old twins) are planning our first trip to Spain next summer and I am starting to try to pin down our itinerary. I have some questions about trains vs. renting a car. At the end of the trip, we will want to travel from San Sebastián to Tossa de Mar. We will probably stay in Tossa for around 5 nights and then we will fly out of Barcelona.
We would prefer to take the train from SS to Tossa, but I have looked at Rome2Rio and I see that it will take longer to take the train than to rent a car. Also, I am guessing 4 train tickets will be more expensive than renting a car. We are on a budget and want to be economical.
1) Does anyone know if it is possible to take a more direct train route to Tossa from SS than going through Barcelona (that is what comes up on Rome2Rio)?
2) If we rent a car in San Sebastián, is there anyplace near Tossa were we can drop it off? That would be my ideal, but I checked AutoEurope and don't see that we could drop in Tossa, Girona, Lloret de Mar or Blanes. Any other thoughts?
3) I thought of keeping the car in Tossa and returning at the airport in Barcelona, but it is expensive. The basic rental rate includes liability and fire. But it gets a lot more expensive if I were to add Collison Damage Waiver and Theft Protection. Do I need those if I have my own car insurance in the US?
Any other thoughts?
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 2 Rome or Venice first
- 3 Restaurants in Rome near Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain
- 4 Entertaining 17 year-old in Rome
- 5 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Andalusia
- 6 which train from Gatwick? And rental car pickup
- 7 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 8 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 9 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 10 Day trip from London in December
- 11 Place to Eat in Aix-en-Provence
- 12 Good Pocket Map Guide To Amsterdam
- 13 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 14 Trip For Physical, Intellectual, Emotional Exercize
- 15 Loire or Provence in January?
- 16 Funniest of Fodor Threads
- 17 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 18 What kind of tea can i choose in afternoon tea in France?
- 19 Photography gear for Rome and Venice
- 20 Classical or choral or sacred music venues in Rome
- 21 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 22 Lunch near Amboise, Loire Valley
- 23 What experiences were most memorable for your kids?
- 24 Paris Oct 31-Nov 4
- 25 Europe First Timers