We (me, my husband and our 11 year old twins) are planning our first trip to Spain next summer and I am starting to try to pin down our itinerary. I have some questions about trains vs. renting a car. At the end of the trip, we will want to travel from San Sebastián to Tossa de Mar. We will probably stay in Tossa for around 5 nights and then we will fly out of Barcelona.
We would prefer to take the train from SS to Tossa, but I have looked at Rome2Rio and I see that it will take longer to take the train than to rent a car. Also, I am guessing 4 train tickets will be more expensive than renting a car. We are on a budget and want to be economical.
1) Does anyone know if it is possible to take a more direct train route to Tossa from SS than going through Barcelona (that is what comes up on Rome2Rio)?
2) If we rent a car in San Sebastián, is there anyplace near Tossa were we can drop it off? That would be my ideal, but I checked AutoEurope and don't see that we could drop in Tossa, Girona, Lloret de Mar or Blanes. Any other thoughts?
3) I thought of keeping the car in Tossa and returning at the airport in Barcelona, but it is expensive. The basic rental rate includes liability and fire. But it gets a lot more expensive if I were to add Collison Damage Waiver and Theft Protection. Do I need those if I have my own car insurance in the US?
Any other thoughts?
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Whathello Paris
- 2 One free day in Barcelona
- 3 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 4 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 5 Multiplug, Surge Protector needed?
- 6 London and Paris - 3 days each
- 7 Letter from the Belgian Embassy
- 8 Aix-en-Provence for a day
- 9 Arrival in Berlin on Christmas Day?
- 10 Can I buy a Sim card at FCO? Terminal 3
- 11 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 12 Bordeaux to Nice
- 13 Travel in Europe
- 14 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 15 Possible French strike on 9/21
- 16 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 17 sylvenstein road in Bavaria
- 18 Athens Help
- 19 Crete Holiday
- 20 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 21 Rome to Venice
- 22 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 23 November in Rome
- 24 Rouen or Rennes to pick up Rental Car
- 25 Granada in April; add Malaga?