We (me, my husband and our 11 year old twins) are planning our first trip to Spain next summer and I am starting to try to pin down our itinerary. I have some questions about trains vs. renting a car. At the end of the trip, we will want to travel from San Sebastián to Tossa de Mar. We will probably stay in Tossa for around 5 nights and then we will fly out of Barcelona.
We would prefer to take the train from SS to Tossa, but I have looked at Rome2Rio and I see that it will take longer to take the train than to rent a car. Also, I am guessing 4 train tickets will be more expensive than renting a car. We are on a budget and want to be economical.
1) Does anyone know if it is possible to take a more direct train route to Tossa from SS than going through Barcelona (that is what comes up on Rome2Rio)?
2) If we rent a car in San Sebastián, is there anyplace near Tossa were we can drop it off? That would be my ideal, but I checked AutoEurope and don't see that we could drop in Tossa, Girona, Lloret de Mar or Blanes. Any other thoughts?
3) I thought of keeping the car in Tossa and returning at the airport in Barcelona, but it is expensive. The basic rental rate includes liability and fire. But it gets a lot more expensive if I were to add Collison Damage Waiver and Theft Protection. Do I need those if I have my own car insurance in the US?
Any other thoughts?
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Family Transportation from Heathrow- justairports or Express?
- 2 PARIS
- 3 Where should I go with my family?
- 4 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 5 Stu Tower
- 6 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 7 Trains in Italy
- 8 transportation from Prague to Cesky Krumlov
- 9 Tour or self drive Douro?
- 10 Which Hotel in Rome
- 11 Clueless, planning trip to Scotland
- 12 Luggage questions for train travel in Italy.
- 13 Mid/late November: Tuscany or Andalucia? (1 week)
- 14 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 15 First Solo Adventure
- 16 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 17 1st Time to Ireland - what to wear?
- 18 SE ITALY
- 19 First Solo Adventure
- 20 Crete Holiday
- 21 Honeymooning in Croatia - 2 weeks in August
- 22 Drive from Piedmont to Malpensa Qs?
- 23 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 24 Montreux Riviera public transport pass
- 25 Alitala