I am in Spain and would like to travel to Italy by train. I'd fly but my tourist visa runs out before Italy. I am planning for two weeks in Italy starting in Tuscany (Florence) and working my way down to Rome and the Amalfi Coast. My question is, what is the best train route from Spain to Italy? I'm finding some trains leaving from Girona but the sites I've found show nothing available. It's quite confusing using Eurotrail site in determining the cheapest and fastest option from one city in Spain to Italy. Time is not an issue for me since I do not have a return flight back to the U.S. yet which means I can be on a train for 20+ hours. What's important to me is traveling on a budget (which is unfortunate because fights are the cheapest). For any of you that have traveled by train from anywhere in Spain to Italy, what do you recommend?
Thanks in advance for your time and advice
*Sidenote: I fully understand that overstaying my visa is against the EU regulations so please I am only looking for advice on what's the best route from Spain to Italy by train.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spanish Medical Providers
- 2 Finalized my Summer 2018 Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!
- 3 Schengen Rule
- 4 Quizz !
- 5 Barcelona to Grindenwald area
- 6 Piedmont, Cinque Terre, Lucca trip report
- 7 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 8 Zurich to Milan trip
- 9 Ireland - 1 Week Options
- 10 Which car rental company to use in Croatia?
- 11 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 12 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 13 Restaurants Barcelona , Seville and Granada
- 14 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 15 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 16 Pay attention to your watches !
- 17 Area in Madrid we might be staying
- 18 Base recommendation for Mosel and Rhine
- 19 Venice/Mestre
- 20 No Trains in January Paris to Venice?
- 21 Italy Car Scam
- 22 a group of old friends traveling to croatia
- 23 Basing on the Akrotiri Penisula in Crete?
- 24 9-10 days beginning with Barcelona Marathon - what to do after?
- 25 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!