I am in Spain and would like to travel to Italy by train. I'd fly but my tourist visa runs out before Italy. I am planning for two weeks in Italy starting in Tuscany (Florence) and working my way down to Rome and the Amalfi Coast. My question is, what is the best train route from Spain to Italy? I'm finding some trains leaving from Girona but the sites I've found show nothing available. It's quite confusing using Eurotrail site in determining the cheapest and fastest option from one city in Spain to Italy. Time is not an issue for me since I do not have a return flight back to the U.S. yet which means I can be on a train for 20+ hours. What's important to me is traveling on a budget (which is unfortunate because fights are the cheapest). For any of you that have traveled by train from anywhere in Spain to Italy, what do you recommend?
Thanks in advance for your time and advice
*Sidenote: I fully understand that overstaying my visa is against the EU regulations so please I am only looking for advice on what's the best route from Spain to Italy by train.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 italy itinerary
- 2 Ravello to Paestum
- 3 Amalfi Coast lodging
- 4 Dordogne day trips by boat - options?
- 5 Italy and Spain 4 weeks - 1st attempt at an itinary
- 6 If you had four months...
- 7 Rail pass question
- 8 Train reservatiions needed in Switzerland in October?
- 9 Amalfi coast
- 10 What to do in Lauterbrunnen with Toddler
- 11 3 days to spend in europe
- 12 Eurorail pass or flights/local trains in Spain plus Lisbon for 21 days
- 13 Where to eat Paella in Valencia?
- 14 12 days europe
- 15 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 16 Spain Itinerary Help
- 17 Looking for Tour in Italy
- 18 Things I Learned in 3 Weeks in southern Ireland
- 19 15+ days in Sicily -- first crack at itinerary
- 20 anyone use 'NO JET LAG' ?
- 21 Ideas for travel (hiking) in Northern Italy
- 22 Dublin Hotel Advice & Construction
- 23 Based in Burford, how to spend our time
- 24 Trip Report: a Douro river cruise and Porto
- 25 Day Trips out of Portland, Dorset