We have decided to change our vacation destination from Portugal to Spain for our summer, 2015 family vacation. Although Portugal looks nice and interesting, Spain has more to offer, in our opinion.
We were able to book our excellent return flights to and from Madrid at incredible prices so we are now turning our attention to our itinerary.
We will be travelling for 17 full days (not including travel to and from home) and we are a family of four (myself and my husband and our two boys, ages 15 and 17) and all enjoy a balanced approach to European travel, including museums, cuisine, walking and discovering, a few days relaxing at a nice beach, nighttime walks and just simply enjoying being wherever we are.
We are considering using rail passes throughout this vacation (we have always rented a car in our prior trips to Europe). The travel time between all of the destinations below are all between 1.5 and 3 hours and we have come up with this initial itinerary:
Day 1 through 3: Madrid (arrive early morning)
Day 4 through 7: Seville
Day 8 through 14: Valencia (including beach time and exploring surrounding area)
Day 15 through 17: Madrid
Totals (not including travel time):
Madrid, 5.5 days
Seville, 3.5 days
Valencia and surrounding area: 6.5 full days
We were initially thinking about travelling south from Seville to the Costa del Sol for some beach time but found Valencia to be very interesting and also has some very nice beaches as well as some very interesting medieval towns nearby.
As well, would it be a good idea to take a day off Madrid and two off Valencia and take a few days to travel to Ibiza or Majorca for our beach time?
Please let us know if this works and if you can offer any other suggestions, we would really appreciate your advice.
Thank you very much.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice
- 2 Cinqueterre
- 3 2 weeks in Germany – itinerary sanity check
- 4 Ireland Itinerary- biting off more than we can chew?
- 5 Does Zurich have a hop on hop off bus system
- 6 A walk through Greenwich and Blackheath March 2017
- 7 Next Spring: Copenhagen and ???
- 8 Thoughts on visiting Turkey this summer? Safe?
- 9 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 10 YIKES!
- 11 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 12 Clocks forward one hour tonight
- 13 Final Four
- 14 17 day roadtrip through UK: Need suggestions
- 15 Reviews of Paris restaurants: Tour d’Argent, Le Cinq, Ange20,...
- 16 Am sterdam is there a hop on hop off bus
- 17 Cordoba, Granada, Seville loop
- 18 Spain/Portugal Travel for Older Couple
- 19 Cash machines ATM
- 20 ideas for four days in Reykjavic
- 21 Turin, Bologna or Genoa
- 22 Charming areas to explore in London
- 23 Sardinia or Corsica??
- 24 Sweden, Estonia and Southern Croatia
- 25 Getting around Lisbon