Hello fellow Fodorites!
We will be arriving in Madrid on December 4th and departing on December 10th. I realize this is a woefully inadequate time to do Spain justice. Sigh. A little about me, this is my first trip to Europe and my first big trip with my boyfriend, so I'd like it to be romantic. I love gardens, art, Moorish and Roman architecture, and am mainly drawn to Spain for the Alhambra. Here is our tentative itinerary:
Dec. 4- Arrive Madrid 9:30 a.m
Dec. 5- Train [Toledo] to Granada (sleep Granada)
Dec. 6- ½ day Granada to see Alhambra, train to Sevilla
Dec. 7- Sevilla
Dec. 9- [Cordoba] to Madrid, sleep Madrid (Seville to Madrid, 2.5 h AVE)
The cities in brackets are optional, depending on how much time we have. We plan on using all public transport for the duration of the trip due to possible snowy roads and limited daylight.
Since the gardens will mostly be dead, will the Alhambra be worth the limited time we have? While I don't want to shortchange Madrid, as I would love to see the Prado, the Reina Sofia and the Museo Sorrolla, I prefer smaller, more intimate towns and natural scenery. Other priorities: Moorish and Roman architecture and a hammam.
Also, to build in flexibility, would it be advisable to only book our first night's hotel in Madrid, the AVE train to [Toledo] Granada and our tickets to the Alhambra?
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Regensburg then the mountains - Garmish-Partenkirchen this time?
- 2 Guarda ->Zurich, Luzern->Ascona
- 3 Swiss Burial/Grave Customs - ?
- 4 If your question is "Is This Trip Crazy?"
- 5 Bandol port of call
- 6 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 7 Wanted: Clever Travel Tips!
- 8 Uber in Paris: OK now ?
- 9 August
- 10 Teens in Paris..what to wear
- 11 Budget friendly restaurants in Rome
- 12 What tickets to purchase for Rome attractons before leaving the States
- 13 Quick 13 day Italy trip
- 14 So glad we went to Greece (and London always)
- 15 Has anyone used Travelex as a debit card in Italy?
- 16 Stop between Munich and Cochem (long train ride)
- 17 Novice needs help with Italy itinerary
- 18 One week in Sicily - Taormina, Ortigia, Agrigento & Palermo
- 19 Italy June 2016 - Attire?
- 20 Shopping in Paris
- 21 Spain schedule - reality check please.
- 22 Plitvice Lakes - is it worth it for a short visit?
- 23 Harry Potter WB Studio entrance time - London
- 24 Requesting Suggestions for Venice
- 25 Switzerland in 8 days
Hello fellow Fodorites!