Hello fellow Fodorites!
We will be arriving in Madrid on December 4th and departing on December 10th. I realize this is a woefully inadequate time to do Spain justice. Sigh. A little about me, this is my first trip to Europe and my first big trip with my boyfriend, so I'd like it to be romantic. I love gardens, art, Moorish and Roman architecture, and am mainly drawn to Spain for the Alhambra. Here is our tentative itinerary:
Dec. 4- Arrive Madrid 9:30 a.m
Dec. 5- Train [Toledo] to Granada (sleep Granada)
Dec. 6- ½ day Granada to see Alhambra, train to Sevilla
Dec. 7- Sevilla
Dec. 9- [Cordoba] to Madrid, sleep Madrid (Seville to Madrid, 2.5 h AVE)
The cities in brackets are optional, depending on how much time we have. We plan on using all public transport for the duration of the trip due to possible snowy roads and limited daylight.
Since the gardens will mostly be dead, will the Alhambra be worth the limited time we have? While I don't want to shortchange Madrid, as I would love to see the Prado, the Reina Sofia and the Museo Sorrolla, I prefer smaller, more intimate towns and natural scenery. Other priorities: Moorish and Roman architecture and a hammam.
Also, to build in flexibility, would it be advisable to only book our first night's hotel in Madrid, the AVE train to [Toledo] Granada and our tickets to the Alhambra?
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help with my southern Spain itinerary please!
- 2 help deciding between 2 itineraries!
- 3 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 4 Ideas for 10 nights in France for 1st timer
- 5 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 6 Italy - 21 Day Itinerary for May, 2018
- 7 Tour Company reviews - European Graduation Trip
- 8 Strasbourg! What to do, what to visit??
- 9 Assist Please: A'dam/Cologne/Mosel Valley/Aachen
- 10 train from Bucharest to Brasov
- 11 First trip to the UK, please help me
- 12 Salamanca Spain - stay in town or nearby?
- 13 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 14 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 15 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 16 Nice/Monaco Train Question
- 17 Individual train tickets instead of passes
- 18 London: Big Ben- Last Call for 4 Years...
- 19 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 20 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 21 base for Andalucia
- 22 Coastal Denmark
- 23 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 24 How to leave Slovenia for US?
- 25 What to wear visiting England and France during winter?
Hello fellow Fodorites!