Hello fellow Fodorites!
We will be arriving in Madrid on December 4th and departing on December 10th. I realize this is a woefully inadequate time to do Spain justice. Sigh. A little about me, this is my first trip to Europe and my first big trip with my boyfriend, so I'd like it to be romantic. I love gardens, art, Moorish and Roman architecture, and am mainly drawn to Spain for the Alhambra. Here is our tentative itinerary:
Dec. 4- Arrive Madrid 9:30 a.m
Dec. 5- Train [Toledo] to Granada (sleep Granada)
Dec. 6- ½ day Granada to see Alhambra, train to Sevilla
Dec. 7- Sevilla
Dec. 9- [Cordoba] to Madrid, sleep Madrid (Seville to Madrid, 2.5 h AVE)
The cities in brackets are optional, depending on how much time we have. We plan on using all public transport for the duration of the trip due to possible snowy roads and limited daylight.
Since the gardens will mostly be dead, will the Alhambra be worth the limited time we have? While I don't want to shortchange Madrid, as I would love to see the Prado, the Reina Sofia and the Museo Sorrolla, I prefer smaller, more intimate towns and natural scenery. Other priorities: Moorish and Roman architecture and a hammam.
Also, to build in flexibility, would it be advisable to only book our first night's hotel in Madrid, the AVE train to [Toledo] Granada and our tickets to the Alhambra?
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Spain Itinerary Help
Hello fellow Fodorites!
- 1 Lake District, Hawkshead or Keswick?
- 2 London for Christmas
- 3 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 4 Stockholm Hotel Advice Help I'm torn Hotel Rival, Reisen or Story?????
- 5 Chambermaid tipping
- 6 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 7 Need help for visits to Belgium?
- 8 Belgium
- 9 Navigo Decouverte
- 10 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 11 suggestions for a base in france -rouen to st malo in 4 days
- 12 More help with housing in Puglia
- 13 Itinerary Help: Amsterdam-Zurich/Basel-Geneva in 10 days?
- 14 Euro Train
- 15 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 16 15 days in Europe,
- 17 Confirming..."Buy train tickets the day of departure" advice....M/V/Rome
- 18 Madrid to Sevilla
- 19 London, Paris, and Brussels 2014
- 20 Taxi Availability from Bus Station
- 21 Please help with this Switzerland/Italy itinerary
- 22 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time
- 23 Are they doing this yet in Paris and Rome?
- 24 Barcelona - Hotel Help
- 25 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome