Hello fellow Fodorites!
We will be arriving in Madrid on December 4th and departing on December 10th. I realize this is a woefully inadequate time to do Spain justice. Sigh. A little about me, this is my first trip to Europe and my first big trip with my boyfriend, so I'd like it to be romantic. I love gardens, art, Moorish and Roman architecture, and am mainly drawn to Spain for the Alhambra. Here is our tentative itinerary:
Dec. 4- Arrive Madrid 9:30 a.m
Dec. 5- Train [Toledo] to Granada (sleep Granada)
Dec. 6- ½ day Granada to see Alhambra, train to Sevilla
Dec. 7- Sevilla
Dec. 9- [Cordoba] to Madrid, sleep Madrid (Seville to Madrid, 2.5 h AVE)
The cities in brackets are optional, depending on how much time we have. We plan on using all public transport for the duration of the trip due to possible snowy roads and limited daylight.
Since the gardens will mostly be dead, will the Alhambra be worth the limited time we have? While I don't want to shortchange Madrid, as I would love to see the Prado, the Reina Sofia and the Museo Sorrolla, I prefer smaller, more intimate towns and natural scenery. Other priorities: Moorish and Roman architecture and a hammam.
Also, to build in flexibility, would it be advisable to only book our first night's hotel in Madrid, the AVE train to [Toledo] Granada and our tickets to the Alhambra?
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How did you or your family ended up in the country you are living now?
- 2 French Gov't Passes New Labor Law Despite...
- 3 Night Walk, food and Shopping in Rome
- 4 Naples or Genoa
- 5 Sevilla to Cordoba Day Trip: How many hours needed?
- 6 First time Europe trip for family of 4
- 7 France to stop making foie grois
- 8 Amsterdam bike rides and maps
- 9 Who is up for an informal GTG in Paris between Oct 15-22
- 10 Base City for N Europe Layover
- 11 From London to Paris to US
- 12 Leipzig, Dresden, Meissen, Bautzen, etc.
- 13 Day Trip from Lausanne
- 14 3 week Italy trip with 12 and 14 year old - 2017
- 15 Greece Experts
- 16 Passport question - carry with or leave at hotel?
- 17 Short, one day trip to Sighișoara, what do you recommend?
- 18 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 19 The nieces take Bruce and Marija to Paris, Venice and London
- 20 Ireland driving itinerary
- 21 Greece Itinerary
- 22 Germany and Austria trip report
- 23 Paris Museum Pass and Skip the Line
- 24 Venice, Maggiore, Jungfrau
- 25 Nice village, good restaurant, between Bologna and Florence?
Hello fellow Fodorites!