So my family and I are looking to travel to Spain this July for around 16 nights, and I have a few questions. We want to stay in southern Spain, preferably on the coast and at cities/islands which are not too far away from one another to reduce travel time. Right now, it seems as though the best places to visit are Barcelona, Valencia, and Majorca, although I've also heard good things about Alicante, Malaga, and Seville. Which cities are "must-see" and how long do you think we should stay in each one? What should we do there? My family is looking more to relax than go to museums, so we appreciate scenic locations with pretty beaches and architecture.
We traveled to Greece last year (Athens, Crete, Santorini, and Mykonos) and absolutely loved it, especially Crete and Santorini. If anyone has been to both Spain and Greece, how do they compare? I assume Spain's beaches are not as scenic, but I could be wrong?
On a separate note, I'm having trouble finding hotel rooms in Barcelona (where we will definitely go) which can accommodate 4-6 people. Has anyone stayed at any centrally located hotels which would be able to accommodate at least 4 people in one room which are around $200 a night in Barcelona, Valencia, or Majorca? Or are we better off trying to get a VRBO?
Lastly, is 16 days too much time to spend in Spain? We are contemplating also trying to go to Marseilles and Paris, which would take around 6 days, and would cut down our time in Spain to around 8 or 9 days after all of the travel time is accounted for. Is this a bad decision?
I'd like to thank everyone in advance for helping answer my many questions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 2 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 3 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 4 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 5 Greece-Paros or Meteora
- 6 Juangfrau / mt
- 7 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 8 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 9 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 10 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 11 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 12 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 13 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 14 Switzerland
- 15 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 16 Questions about Polish sights
- 17 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 18 If you had to choose one......
- 19 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 20 Ireland travel passport question
- 21 Italy
- 22 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 23 Revised itinerary for italy
- 24 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 25 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!