My wife graduates from university next Spring and we intend to celebrate with a trip. Neither of us has been to Spain (nor have most of our relatives), so we figured that would be a good destination. This way we don't have a big long list of things we have to see. On the other hand, we don't have a big long list of things we have to see
We enjoy history, art, and food. We prefer not to rent a car, but instead to have a few base locations and take day/bus trips or just wander around. This tactic worked well for us on our honeymoon in Scotland last year.
I am tasked with planning our itinerary, and have come up with a very rough outline:
May 14 - arrive in Madrid (from Toronto, most likely arriving around 9 in the morning)
4 nights (3 full days plus arrival day) in Madrid
May 18 - travel Madrid to the Basque region by train
5 nights (4 full days plus) in the Basque region
May 23 - travel to Barcelona by train
4 nights (3 full days plus arrival day) in Barcelona
May 27 - fly back to Toronto in the morning
Does the number of full days in each area seem appropriate? I know the travel between regions is fairly long on the train - but we are fine with that. We could fly around to save a bit of time but I tend to get sore ears during landings, and they can take over a day to recover. We (I) don't want to deal with that in the middle of the trip.
We'll be in Madrid on May 16th, and that will be our 2nd anniversary so we'd like to do something special. I'm thinking of booking a Flamenco evening. Has anyone used flamencotickets.com? Does anyone have a place they'd recommend?
For the Basque region, I was thinking of Bilbao and/or San Sebastion for our "home base." Is there any particular reason to chose one of them over the other? Should I try to split our time between them?
I'm not at the point of filling in what we'll do each day, but if anyone has some "must see" places in these cities, please let me know.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bedbugs in Paris.
- 2 "Best" train route Interlaken to Salzburg
- 3 Germany family road trip help!
- 4 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 5 Rouen Tour Companies
- 6 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 7 No Periods in British Written English!
- 8 Croatia... Is dubrovnik a must?
- 9 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 10 What do after Bernia Express?
- 11 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
- 12 Info request: Road Trip Naples to Bari-Part 2
- 13 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 14 First time in London
- 15 One more day in Athens, any suggestions?
- 16 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 17 Self drive tour companies
- 18 scotland
- 19 Lamezia Terme, Italy
- 20 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 21 Ischia
- 22 Vatican Museums and Scavi Tour
- 23 Barcelona
- 24 Seville- Ronda drive time
- 25 3 weeks in Central/Eastern Europe