My wife graduates from university next Spring and we intend to celebrate with a trip. Neither of us has been to Spain (nor have most of our relatives), so we figured that would be a good destination. This way we don't have a big long list of things we have to see. On the other hand, we don't have a big long list of things we have to see
We enjoy history, art, and food. We prefer not to rent a car, but instead to have a few base locations and take day/bus trips or just wander around. This tactic worked well for us on our honeymoon in Scotland last year.
I am tasked with planning our itinerary, and have come up with a very rough outline:
May 14 - arrive in Madrid (from Toronto, most likely arriving around 9 in the morning)
4 nights (3 full days plus arrival day) in Madrid
May 18 - travel Madrid to the Basque region by train
5 nights (4 full days plus) in the Basque region
May 23 - travel to Barcelona by train
4 nights (3 full days plus arrival day) in Barcelona
May 27 - fly back to Toronto in the morning
Does the number of full days in each area seem appropriate? I know the travel between regions is fairly long on the train - but we are fine with that. We could fly around to save a bit of time but I tend to get sore ears during landings, and they can take over a day to recover. We (I) don't want to deal with that in the middle of the trip.
We'll be in Madrid on May 16th, and that will be our 2nd anniversary so we'd like to do something special. I'm thinking of booking a Flamenco evening. Has anyone used flamencotickets.com? Does anyone have a place they'd recommend?
For the Basque region, I was thinking of Bilbao and/or San Sebastion for our "home base." Is there any particular reason to chose one of them over the other? Should I try to split our time between them?
I'm not at the point of filling in what we'll do each day, but if anyone has some "must see" places in these cities, please let me know.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cutback on Spain trip
- 2 where to stay in London?
- 3 Luggage for train travel in Europe
- 4 Bars & Restaurants in Madrid Spain
- 5 Premier League Tickets on Craigslist
- 6 Itinerary Help - Roadtrip North of Barcelona
- 7 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 8 Trip Report: Barcelona, Costa Brava, & Northern Catalonia
- 9 Paris/Loire Valley than ?
- 10 Isles of Scilly - Anyone Been?
- 11 European Travel - Trivia Quiz #151
- 12 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 13 Itinerary help--Loire Valley and Brittany
- 14 driving from ancona to rome
- 15 Please help with 12 days in England!
- 16 Croatia transportation question.
- 17 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 18 Pre-Booking Athens / Cell Phone
- 19 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 20 Traveling to Croatia w/ infant - tips?
- 21 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help
- 22 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 23 2017 Easter in Italy
- 24 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 25 1 or 2 days in Reykjavík