This is my first post here on Virtual Tourist. I hope you can help us plan our summer (late July/early August) vacation to Spain. We are a family of four (myself, my husband and our two children, ages 18 and 16) and we have travelled to Europe for our summer vacations 5 out of the last 6 summers, spending time in Italy, Germany, France and Greece.
We have been to Barcelona, spending 8 days there a few years ago as part of our trip to France, and we do not have to visit there again.
We have return flights into Madrid and have 17 full days to spend in Spain. We have a few ideas in mind but your help and ideas would be very helpful and appreciated. Our options are to see Madrid and its surrounding area and then travel North or South.
Our family does not mind the heat (we know how hot it can get in the South of Spain) and we would also want to spend time on a beautiful beach in a medieval beach town. We are under the impression that the water temperature in the south is much warmer than in the north. We will also be renting a car and we do love to drive from place to place, sometimes stopping along the way to our destination.
1. Spending time in Madrid, seeing Toledo and/or Segovia as day trips, then travelling to Seville, visiting Cordoba as a day trip, then travelling to Valencia for a few days and then spending a few days at a beach town on either the Costa Blanca or the Costa de Valencia, before returning to Madrid for a day or two before returning home. Instead, we could travel to Granada, spending time there, then travel to a beach town on the Costa del Sol or Costa Tropical before returning to Madrid.
2. After spending time in Madrid and its surrounding area, we would travel to the North of Spain. We could either go to the Basque area, including San Sebastian, or travel to the northwest of Spain, including Santiago, spending time in that area. We would also spend time at a beach town in either of those two areas before returning to Madrid.
It seems that many people say that if you are seeing Spain for the first time (not including Barcelona, which we have already seen), travelling south and visiting Andalusia is what one must do before seeing any other part of Spain. Is this true?
Thank you so much.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 3 days in Ortygia Sicily
- 2 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 3 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 4 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 5 Hotel in Vienna
- 6 Places of interest
- 7 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 8 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 9 Switzerland in November?
- 10 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 11 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 12 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 13 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 14 Greece...so many options! (11 days)
- 15 A Month stay in Southern France
- 16 vienna
- 17 Itinerary? Mystras? Stay over or stay in Nafplion
- 18 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 19 When to buy airline? & booking seats
- 20 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 21 Ireland travel passport question
- 22 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help
- 23 Oxford England Accommodations
- 24 Suggested Italy Itinerary
- 25 Croatia transportation question.