So one part of our trip involves picking up a car in Madrid, driving to Toledo, before driving on to Granada. (I know there are arguments for taking trains, buses, etc, but we've booked a car, as we want to see some things (e.g windmills) on the way from Toledo to Granada.)
I would appreciate the advice of any Fodorites on any particularly good spots to see on the way, and any suggested routes for our second leg (on to Seville, via either Cordoba or Ronda).
Our first leg is here: http://goo.gl/maps/Ygb88 - Madrid to Toledo, then onto Granada via Consuegra and Úbeda. We will leave Madrid in the morning and then spend the day and night at Toledo, before heading on to Granada, where we spend two nights. I expect if we leave Toledo in the morning we have the full day to reach Granada (and we might do a night tour of the Alhambra that evening).
Firstly, is it worthwhile going to Úbeda (we won't stay, but just to see and maybe have lunch)? Are there any other particularly good destinations on the way?
Our second leg is then to get to Seville, where we have four nights, but we are wanting to make a day trip out of getting there first - perhaps to Ronda or Cordoba.
Route to Granada to Seville via Ronda: http://goo.gl/maps/dgyAe
Route to Granada to Seville via Cordoba: http://goo.gl/maps/XE36o
If we do the Ronda trip, we might well also go to Cordoba on one of our days in Seville (as we don't drop the car off until we fly out of Seville). Again, are there any particularly good sights on either drive? Any suggested stop offs in addition to Ronda/Cordoba on either drive?
Thanks anyone for any input and advice. I've done a reasonable amount of research but it does seem most people take the bus/train, and I've found it hard to find details of 'off the beaten track' spots on these routes.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 European Championship
- 2 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 3 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 4 Car Rental in Italy: Insurance Needed/Suggested
- 5 12 days in Austria
- 6 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 7 Salzburg or Cesky Krumlov??
- 8 St Andrews or Edinburgh
- 9 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 10 Barcelona - Tickets to Gaudi sites
- 11 Can't go to Ravello so....where?
- 12 Where to stay in Emilia-Romagna for best food?
- 13 Italy train strike - high speed trains?
- 14 Italy by Train - Sequence Recommendations
- 15 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 16 Italy by car
- 17 Spain and Portugal for two and a half weeks
- 18 Off to Ireland again! Solo trip...
- 19 Fill 4 or 5 days for me please-Spain
- 20 Our Amalfi Coast Adventure—Orlando to Dublin to Naples to Praiano
- 21 Ireland in October?
- 22 Barcelona-Valencia- ??? - Barcelona
- 23 Driving through the Pyrenees
- 24 Going to Denmark, Norway – what is there to see?
- 25 Itinerary….Need help from Ireland Guru's
Southern Spain driving trip: Advice on route and locations to see