So one part of our trip involves picking up a car in Madrid, driving to Toledo, before driving on to Granada. (I know there are arguments for taking trains, buses, etc, but we've booked a car, as we want to see some things (e.g windmills) on the way from Toledo to Granada.)
I would appreciate the advice of any Fodorites on any particularly good spots to see on the way, and any suggested routes for our second leg (on to Seville, via either Cordoba or Ronda).
Our first leg is here: http://goo.gl/maps/Ygb88 - Madrid to Toledo, then onto Granada via Consuegra and Úbeda. We will leave Madrid in the morning and then spend the day and night at Toledo, before heading on to Granada, where we spend two nights. I expect if we leave Toledo in the morning we have the full day to reach Granada (and we might do a night tour of the Alhambra that evening).
Firstly, is it worthwhile going to Úbeda (we won't stay, but just to see and maybe have lunch)? Are there any other particularly good destinations on the way?
Our second leg is then to get to Seville, where we have four nights, but we are wanting to make a day trip out of getting there first - perhaps to Ronda or Cordoba.
Route to Granada to Seville via Ronda: http://goo.gl/maps/dgyAe
Route to Granada to Seville via Cordoba: http://goo.gl/maps/XE36o
If we do the Ronda trip, we might well also go to Cordoba on one of our days in Seville (as we don't drop the car off until we fly out of Seville). Again, are there any particularly good sights on either drive? Any suggested stop offs in addition to Ronda/Cordoba on either drive?
Thanks anyone for any input and advice. I've done a reasonable amount of research but it does seem most people take the bus/train, and I've found it hard to find details of 'off the beaten track' spots on these routes.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris Metro
- 2 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 3 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 4 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 5 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 6 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 7 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 8 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 9 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 10 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris
- 11 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 12 getting to CDG
- 13 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 14 Cambrils
- 15 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 16 Amalfi Coast help
- 17 CDG airport and connection time
- 18 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 19 Day trip to Montserrat - any tips?
- 20 Amalfi coast hotel recs
- 21 solo guy traveling to europe help please
- 22 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours
- 23 Trains in Alps and UK
- 24 Switzerland
- 25 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
Southern Spain driving trip: Advice on route and locations to see