So one part of our trip involves picking up a car in Madrid, driving to Toledo, before driving on to Granada. (I know there are arguments for taking trains, buses, etc, but we've booked a car, as we want to see some things (e.g windmills) on the way from Toledo to Granada.)
I would appreciate the advice of any Fodorites on any particularly good spots to see on the way, and any suggested routes for our second leg (on to Seville, via either Cordoba or Ronda).
Our first leg is here: http://goo.gl/maps/Ygb88 - Madrid to Toledo, then onto Granada via Consuegra and Úbeda. We will leave Madrid in the morning and then spend the day and night at Toledo, before heading on to Granada, where we spend two nights. I expect if we leave Toledo in the morning we have the full day to reach Granada (and we might do a night tour of the Alhambra that evening).
Firstly, is it worthwhile going to Úbeda (we won't stay, but just to see and maybe have lunch)? Are there any other particularly good destinations on the way?
Our second leg is then to get to Seville, where we have four nights, but we are wanting to make a day trip out of getting there first - perhaps to Ronda or Cordoba.
Route to Granada to Seville via Ronda: http://goo.gl/maps/dgyAe
Route to Granada to Seville via Cordoba: http://goo.gl/maps/XE36o
If we do the Ronda trip, we might well also go to Cordoba on one of our days in Seville (as we don't drop the car off until we fly out of Seville). Again, are there any particularly good sights on either drive? Any suggested stop offs in addition to Ronda/Cordoba on either drive?
Thanks anyone for any input and advice. I've done a reasonable amount of research but it does seem most people take the bus/train, and I've found it hard to find details of 'off the beaten track' spots on these routes.
Southern Spain driving trip: Advice on route and locations to see
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 6-Week Europe Itinerary - Thoughts and Suggestions?
- 2 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 3 Quiet beach town in Italy?
- 4 Potential trip - Balkans
- 5 One Week in Amsterdam with Children
- 6 Ediburgh lodging - July.
- 7 Turkey: 7 - 9 days
- 8 6 Days in Italy - all in Rome or divide it between Rome and Florence?
- 9 Back to Provence in 2015
- 10 England in 7 days
- 11 Scotland 4 days / 5 nights - Itinerary ideas?!
- 12 finally, an itinerary that seems ok..but still not sure
- 13 Looking for 5* Beach Resort
- 14 Dordogne prehistoric sites
- 15 Dordogne lodging
- 16 Bavaria and Tirol for 2 weeks in June
- 17 Rocamaxour
- 18 Dordogne markets
- 19 Hotels and public transport re: Cheltenham Spa
- 20 Itinerary review - Family vacation to Spain
- 21 From Paris to Vaison la romaine
- 22 Need advice for Madrid/ Castilla Leon / Basque / Aveiro
- 23 From Milan Airport to the Last Supper
- 24 So that is why German hotels have such expensive WIFI
- 25 Best means of travel from Prague to Krakow and Krakow to Budapest