So one part of our trip involves picking up a car in Madrid, driving to Toledo, before driving on to Granada. (I know there are arguments for taking trains, buses, etc, but we've booked a car, as we want to see some things (e.g windmills) on the way from Toledo to Granada.)
I would appreciate the advice of any Fodorites on any particularly good spots to see on the way, and any suggested routes for our second leg (on to Seville, via either Cordoba or Ronda).
Our first leg is here: http://goo.gl/maps/Ygb88 - Madrid to Toledo, then onto Granada via Consuegra and Úbeda. We will leave Madrid in the morning and then spend the day and night at Toledo, before heading on to Granada, where we spend two nights. I expect if we leave Toledo in the morning we have the full day to reach Granada (and we might do a night tour of the Alhambra that evening).
Firstly, is it worthwhile going to Úbeda (we won't stay, but just to see and maybe have lunch)? Are there any other particularly good destinations on the way?
Our second leg is then to get to Seville, where we have four nights, but we are wanting to make a day trip out of getting there first - perhaps to Ronda or Cordoba.
Route to Granada to Seville via Ronda: http://goo.gl/maps/dgyAe
Route to Granada to Seville via Cordoba: http://goo.gl/maps/XE36o
If we do the Ronda trip, we might well also go to Cordoba on one of our days in Seville (as we don't drop the car off until we fly out of Seville). Again, are there any particularly good sights on either drive? Any suggested stop offs in addition to Ronda/Cordoba on either drive?
Thanks anyone for any input and advice. I've done a reasonable amount of research but it does seem most people take the bus/train, and I've found it hard to find details of 'off the beaten track' spots on these routes.
Southern Spain driving trip: Advice on route and locations to see
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Traveling in France by train
- 2 Istanbul - Itinerary recommendations
- 3 flea markets in France
- 4 American electrical gadgets
- 5 Monet in Normandy
- 6 Interesting markets to visit in Paris
- 7 Connection - Frankfurt airport to Mannheim HBF to SNCF
- 8 Ten days in Portugal - what are your favorites?
- 9 Piri-Piri, Pastel de Nata and Port…Perfectly Portugal
- 10 London neighborhood suggestions
- 11 seven days in Portugal
- 12 Germany A'dam Belgium Itinerary Help
- 13 Eating in France-two new books
- 14 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 15 Malmaison - how to get there from Paris
- 16 Spain tips beyond safety
- 17 Lake Como 3 Stretch and 7 Stretch Ferry Tickets
- 18 T-Mobile International Roaming in Europe: a Trip Report
- 19 I need a haircut
- 20 Day trip to Chartres -mini questions
- 21 What to wear
- 22 Croatia: Advice on 6 day itinery
- 23 3 weeks France + north Italy itinerary
- 24 1 week in Croatia
- 25 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY