So one part of our trip involves picking up a car in Madrid, driving to Toledo, before driving on to Granada. (I know there are arguments for taking trains, buses, etc, but we've booked a car, as we want to see some things (e.g windmills) on the way from Toledo to Granada.)
I would appreciate the advice of any Fodorites on any particularly good spots to see on the way, and any suggested routes for our second leg (on to Seville, via either Cordoba or Ronda).
Our first leg is here: http://goo.gl/maps/Ygb88 - Madrid to Toledo, then onto Granada via Consuegra and Úbeda. We will leave Madrid in the morning and then spend the day and night at Toledo, before heading on to Granada, where we spend two nights. I expect if we leave Toledo in the morning we have the full day to reach Granada (and we might do a night tour of the Alhambra that evening).
Firstly, is it worthwhile going to Úbeda (we won't stay, but just to see and maybe have lunch)? Are there any other particularly good destinations on the way?
Our second leg is then to get to Seville, where we have four nights, but we are wanting to make a day trip out of getting there first - perhaps to Ronda or Cordoba.
Route to Granada to Seville via Ronda: http://goo.gl/maps/dgyAe
Route to Granada to Seville via Cordoba: http://goo.gl/maps/XE36o
If we do the Ronda trip, we might well also go to Cordoba on one of our days in Seville (as we don't drop the car off until we fly out of Seville). Again, are there any particularly good sights on either drive? Any suggested stop offs in addition to Ronda/Cordoba on either drive?
Thanks anyone for any input and advice. I've done a reasonable amount of research but it does seem most people take the bus/train, and I've found it hard to find details of 'off the beaten track' spots on these routes.
Southern Spain driving trip: Advice on route and locations to see
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 please help with itinerary in sicily
- 2 Augsburg with kids
- 3 Where can I find a driver for a day around Paris?
- 4 train to Vernon France
- 5 Car service w/ baby car seat: London & Paris
- 6 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 7 Switzerland & Italian Riviera & Sardinia Summer 2014
- 8 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 9 Hotel in Venice
- 10 Florence to Siena May 1st
- 11 Getting married planning 6-8 week honeymoon in Europe & need YOUR advice!
- 12 A drive in Europe
- 13 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 14 Summarizing my Renfe train ticket before purchase for Madrid to Cordoba
- 15 Hotel or Apartment Hotel for 2 adults + 2 children (7 and 12)
- 16 Questions on Ferry from Bodrum to Rhodes
- 17 Rental Car Reservation via Ireland site or American site?
- 18 Non touristy restaurants in Budapest and prague
- 19 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 20 Anyone stayed in Podere Spedalone?
- 21 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 22 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 23 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 24 Will I be able to add minutes to the phone I bought in Spain 3 years ago?
- 25 Honeymoon Destinations for December 2014