So one part of our trip involves picking up a car in Madrid, driving to Toledo, before driving on to Granada. (I know there are arguments for taking trains, buses, etc, but we've booked a car, as we want to see some things (e.g windmills) on the way from Toledo to Granada.)
I would appreciate the advice of any Fodorites on any particularly good spots to see on the way, and any suggested routes for our second leg (on to Seville, via either Cordoba or Ronda).
Our first leg is here: http://goo.gl/maps/Ygb88 - Madrid to Toledo, then onto Granada via Consuegra and Úbeda. We will leave Madrid in the morning and then spend the day and night at Toledo, before heading on to Granada, where we spend two nights. I expect if we leave Toledo in the morning we have the full day to reach Granada (and we might do a night tour of the Alhambra that evening).
Firstly, is it worthwhile going to Úbeda (we won't stay, but just to see and maybe have lunch)? Are there any other particularly good destinations on the way?
Our second leg is then to get to Seville, where we have four nights, but we are wanting to make a day trip out of getting there first - perhaps to Ronda or Cordoba.
Route to Granada to Seville via Ronda: http://goo.gl/maps/dgyAe
Route to Granada to Seville via Cordoba: http://goo.gl/maps/XE36o
If we do the Ronda trip, we might well also go to Cordoba on one of our days in Seville (as we don't drop the car off until we fly out of Seville). Again, are there any particularly good sights on either drive? Any suggested stop offs in addition to Ronda/Cordoba on either drive?
Thanks anyone for any input and advice. I've done a reasonable amount of research but it does seem most people take the bus/train, and I've found it hard to find details of 'off the beaten track' spots on these routes.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 If your question is "Is This Trip Crazy?"
- 2 Suggestions for our Itinerary for June in Italy
- 3 Best Italian beach with teens
- 4 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 5 5 full days in Rome too much?
- 6 10 nights in France
- 7 Florence and Siena Restaurants
- 8 St Petersburg 3 day Shore Tours from Cruise
- 9 Novice needs help with Italy itinerary
- 10 Need help for itineray for Paris, Monaco, Rome, Florence 12 -14 days
- 11 December in Deutschland
- 12 best shopping deals in paris and italy?
- 13 Tips for 2 week travel in Europe of college students
- 14 Feedback on Spain Trip
- 15 Where to stop along the way
- 16 A month in Siena, Italy
- 17 The unrequested appetizers in Portugal
- 18 UNICO CAMPANIA sets new fare structure effective 1/01/2015
- 19 Dublin transportation help
- 20 6-8 Days hiking/biking/enjoying Swiss outdoors
- 21 Can you recommend a hotel in Paris? What about Hotel Spendide Etoile?
- 22 8 day outdoorsy Itinerary Help (Lake Geneva, Bernese Oberland)
- 23 venice/slovenia/croatia
- 24 Rome, Florence, Venice and back to Rome in 5 days...doable?
- 25 Stop between Munich and Cochem (long train ride)
Southern Spain driving trip: Advice on route and locations to see