I am planning a trip to southern Italy, and I'd like to have your feedback on my itinerary.
Arrival in Rome in late June taking a three hour train ride to Sulmona
- Sulmona: 4 nights with a day trip to Scanno
Two hour train ride down to Termoli and fifty minute boat to the Tremiti archipelago.
- Tremiti Islands: 4 nights with no day trips.
Fifty minute boat back to Termoli and three hour train ride down to Lecce.
- Lecce: 4 nights with a day trip to Gallipoli
Two hour train ride up to Bari.
- Bari: 4 nights with day trips to Alberobello and Matera
Four hour train ride back to Rome
- Rome: 4 nights to revisit the city with no day trips.
End of my trip in the middle of July. Return home from Rome.
What do you think of the logistics? Am I being too ambitious? My main goal is to stroll, visit churches, spend time on the beach, eat and enjoy the atmosphere. I've been thinking about cutting off Bari and add an extra night to visit Alberobello from Lecce in order to make it shorter and less hectic (I'm not a great fan of day trips). However, while I would've loved to spend a couple of nights in Matera, I cannot visit it from any of the other destinations as a day trip.
I visited Campania and Sicily in 2008 combining train/boats, and while I had a great time, I have to admit that I was a little tired by the third week. Back then my itinerary was: Naples-Capri-Amalfi-Taormina-Cefalù-Palermo.
Thanks for your feedback!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 One suitcase or two for two weeks in Italy
- 2 Who Tips In Paris Cafes and How Much?
- 3 Long Weekend in Lovely Amsterdam
- 4 Moselle and Rhine by car in June
- 5 The DCC scam is spreading
- 6 Edinburgh Conference Centre, Riccarton -- nearby hotels?
- 7 Best street art tour in Berlin
- 8 Eurail or Direct tickets?
- 9 10 full days in Italy, creating an itinerary based on interests
- 10 What clothes?
- 11 Evening transfer from Capri to Sorrento
- 12 Norwegian natives: Where can I get a Grandiosa Pizza?!
- 13 my itinary for Florence and Tuscany
- 14 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
- 15 tipping
- 16 Need help with logistics for visit to Dordogne area, please.
- 17 Help with our Provence Itinerary
- 18 Amalfi vs Tuscany
- 19 Rome at Christmas
- 20 Once in a life time 3 month Europe Trip
- 21 Switzerland/Italian Lakes Itinerary Help
- 22 April in Paris...with a Side of Bordeaux
- 23 How hard (for an American) to drive in Yorkshire?
- 24 Nothern versus Southern region of Spain
- 25 Luggage on trains/security?