I am planning a trip to southern Italy, and I'd like to have your feedback on my itinerary.
Arrival in Rome in late June taking a three hour train ride to Sulmona
- Sulmona: 4 nights with a day trip to Scanno
Two hour train ride down to Termoli and fifty minute boat to the Tremiti archipelago.
- Tremiti Islands: 4 nights with no day trips.
Fifty minute boat back to Termoli and three hour train ride down to Lecce.
- Lecce: 4 nights with a day trip to Gallipoli
Two hour train ride up to Bari.
- Bari: 4 nights with day trips to Alberobello and Matera
Four hour train ride back to Rome
- Rome: 4 nights to revisit the city with no day trips.
End of my trip in the middle of July. Return home from Rome.
What do you think of the logistics? Am I being too ambitious? My main goal is to stroll, visit churches, spend time on the beach, eat and enjoy the atmosphere. I've been thinking about cutting off Bari and add an extra night to visit Alberobello from Lecce in order to make it shorter and less hectic (I'm not a great fan of day trips). However, while I would've loved to spend a couple of nights in Matera, I cannot visit it from any of the other destinations as a day trip.
I visited Campania and Sicily in 2008 combining train/boats, and while I had a great time, I have to admit that I was a little tired by the third week. Back then my itinerary was: Naples-Capri-Amalfi-Taormina-Cefalù-Palermo.
Thanks for your feedback!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 2 Spain-Portugal family trip. car or train ?
- 3 Life on the Farm Draws Some French
- 4 English Countryside
- 5 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 6 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 7 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 8 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 9 Corsica trekking late 2017
- 10 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 11 driving the coastline of Croatia
- 12 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 13 Driving in Italy?
- 14 Athens daytrip - feasible?
- 15 5-day rpad trip from Toulouse that includes Lourdes
- 16 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 17 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 18 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 19 Spending Money for 10 Days in France/Italy
- 20 Need help with itinerary! Switzerland, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 21 Granada to Madrid
- 22 Guided Group Tour of Italy--opinions please
- 23 Tour groups
- 24 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 25 If you had to choose one......