I am planning a trip to southern Italy, and I'd like to have your feedback on my itinerary.
Arrival in Rome in late June taking a three hour train ride to Sulmona
- Sulmona: 4 nights with a day trip to Scanno
Two hour train ride down to Termoli and fifty minute boat to the Tremiti archipelago.
- Tremiti Islands: 4 nights with no day trips.
Fifty minute boat back to Termoli and three hour train ride down to Lecce.
- Lecce: 4 nights with a day trip to Gallipoli
Two hour train ride up to Bari.
- Bari: 4 nights with day trips to Alberobello and Matera
Four hour train ride back to Rome
- Rome: 4 nights to revisit the city with no day trips.
End of my trip in the middle of July. Return home from Rome.
What do you think of the logistics? Am I being too ambitious? My main goal is to stroll, visit churches, spend time on the beach, eat and enjoy the atmosphere. I've been thinking about cutting off Bari and add an extra night to visit Alberobello from Lecce in order to make it shorter and less hectic (I'm not a great fan of day trips). However, while I would've loved to spend a couple of nights in Matera, I cannot visit it from any of the other destinations as a day trip.
I visited Campania and Sicily in 2008 combining train/boats, and while I had a great time, I have to admit that I was a little tired by the third week. Back then my itinerary was: Naples-Capri-Amalfi-Taormina-Cefalù-Palermo.
Thanks for your feedback!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Pensione Suzanne, Vienna
- 2 help in planning itinerary to UK
- 3 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 4 1 week solo in Europe. Which of these?
- 5 Best Destination for Teenage Girls?
- 6 Trip report: 24 days in Croatia, Slovenia and Budapest
- 7 Planning 2 days in Granada
- 8 PLITVICE LAKES
- 9 England and Wales by public transport
- 10 Loire Valley itinerary
- 11 Venice, September 2016, a trip report (sort of).
- 12 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 13 Cheap Hotel in Prague
- 14 Getting away from it all in Puglia
- 15 Italy Honeymoon 2016
- 16 Can I buy a Sim card at FCO? Terminal 3
- 17 Phone cards
- 18 sim card
- 19 February in Florence
- 20 10 nights in Italy for a first timer
- 21 Amalfi Coast by Car
- 22 Europe Itinerary
- 23 Norway Route to take for Self driving
- 24 Should we go to Vienna?
- 25 First Post, Lots of Questions