I am planning a trip to southern Italy, and I'd like to have your feedback on my itinerary.
Arrival in Rome in late June taking a three hour train ride to Sulmona
- Sulmona: 4 nights with a day trip to Scanno
Two hour train ride down to Termoli and fifty minute boat to the Tremiti archipelago.
- Tremiti Islands: 4 nights with no day trips.
Fifty minute boat back to Termoli and three hour train ride down to Lecce.
- Lecce: 4 nights with a day trip to Gallipoli
Two hour train ride up to Bari.
- Bari: 4 nights with day trips to Alberobello and Matera
Four hour train ride back to Rome
- Rome: 4 nights to revisit the city with no day trips.
End of my trip in the middle of July. Return home from Rome.
What do you think of the logistics? Am I being too ambitious? My main goal is to stroll, visit churches, spend time on the beach, eat and enjoy the atmosphere. I've been thinking about cutting off Bari and add an extra night to visit Alberobello from Lecce in order to make it shorter and less hectic (I'm not a great fan of day trips). However, while I would've loved to spend a couple of nights in Matera, I cannot visit it from any of the other destinations as a day trip.
I visited Campania and Sicily in 2008 combining train/boats, and while I had a great time, I have to admit that I was a little tired by the third week. Back then my itinerary was: Naples-Capri-Amalfi-Taormina-Cefalù-Palermo.
Thanks for your feedback!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 2 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 3 T Mobile Does it Again
- 4 Melk/Wachau Day Trip from Vienna
- 5 Sweden, Denmark or Both ? 8 days in Aug
- 6 8 days in Madrid/Sevilla/Granada
- 7 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?
- 8 Seville Itinerary
- 9 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 10 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 11 Athens or So. Spain in winter
- 12 Dolomites October 14-18
- 13 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 14 Italy by car
- 15 Florence 2 weeks
- 16 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 17 Santorini
- 18 One in Paris ... help
- 19 Bern, Switzerland: Anything Open on Jan 1st?
- 20 Help planning!! 3 days between Kandersteg & Interlaken
- 21 Which order should I travel
- 22 Which order should I travel
- 23 Which order should I travel
- 24 Strasbourg sights and day trips
- 25 Train questions for Switzerland