I am planning a trip to southern Italy, and I'd like to have your feedback on my itinerary.
Arrival in Rome in late June taking a three hour train ride to Sulmona
- Sulmona: 4 nights with a day trip to Scanno
Two hour train ride down to Termoli and fifty minute boat to the Tremiti archipelago.
- Tremiti Islands: 4 nights with no day trips.
Fifty minute boat back to Termoli and three hour train ride down to Lecce.
- Lecce: 4 nights with a day trip to Gallipoli
Two hour train ride up to Bari.
- Bari: 4 nights with day trips to Alberobello and Matera
Four hour train ride back to Rome
- Rome: 4 nights to revisit the city with no day trips.
End of my trip in the middle of July. Return home from Rome.
What do you think of the logistics? Am I being too ambitious? My main goal is to stroll, visit churches, spend time on the beach, eat and enjoy the atmosphere. I've been thinking about cutting off Bari and add an extra night to visit Alberobello from Lecce in order to make it shorter and less hectic (I'm not a great fan of day trips). However, while I would've loved to spend a couple of nights in Matera, I cannot visit it from any of the other destinations as a day trip.
I visited Campania and Sicily in 2008 combining train/boats, and while I had a great time, I have to admit that I was a little tired by the third week. Back then my itinerary was: Naples-Capri-Amalfi-Taormina-Cefalù-Palermo.
Thanks for your feedback!
Southern Italy Itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome in 6 days
- 2 Athens & 1 island.. 7 days.. what to chose?
- 3 Champagne Country trip from Paris
- 4 Is Cognac worth an overnight between Sarlat and La Rochelle?
- 5 Amsterdam with toddler; getting around & logistical questions
- 6 Train From Paris to Beaune
- 7 2 weeks in Andalusia and Barcelona!
- 8 London Trip Report - Textiles & Chocolate
- 9 First trip to Europe - early 20s want to see the highlights
- 10 Land v Waterways touring
- 11 Day trips
- 12 Pays Basque, attention SPAIN afficianados:
- 13 Question about justairports
- 14 Preparing to drive on the Greek mainland
- 15 Paris: Hotel Verneuil, Regent, d'Angleterre, Millesime, Aramis (Best Western)
- 16 From Paris to the Riviera (15 days honeymoon)
- 17 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 18 Our Silver Lining Tour: A German Journey & Queen's Day Too
- 19 Best "2-star" hotels in Paris, Amsterdam, Prague, Dresden
- 20 Pix from Northern Ireland & Donegal
- 21 Bob the Navigator's drive in Tuscany?
- 22 Naples Italy as base for coast?
- 23 YOUR FAVOURITE THINGS IN OXFORD
- 24 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 25 Nice, France September 2013