I am planning a trip to southern Italy, and I'd like to have your feedback on my itinerary.
Arrival in Rome in late June taking a three hour train ride to Sulmona
- Sulmona: 4 nights with a day trip to Scanno
Two hour train ride down to Termoli and fifty minute boat to the Tremiti archipelago.
- Tremiti Islands: 4 nights with no day trips.
Fifty minute boat back to Termoli and three hour train ride down to Lecce.
- Lecce: 4 nights with a day trip to Gallipoli
Two hour train ride up to Bari.
- Bari: 4 nights with day trips to Alberobello and Matera
Four hour train ride back to Rome
- Rome: 4 nights to revisit the city with no day trips.
End of my trip in the middle of July. Return home from Rome.
What do you think of the logistics? Am I being too ambitious? My main goal is to stroll, visit churches, spend time on the beach, eat and enjoy the atmosphere. I've been thinking about cutting off Bari and add an extra night to visit Alberobello from Lecce in order to make it shorter and less hectic (I'm not a great fan of day trips). However, while I would've loved to spend a couple of nights in Matera, I cannot visit it from any of the other destinations as a day trip.
I visited Campania and Sicily in 2008 combining train/boats, and while I had a great time, I have to admit that I was a little tired by the third week. Back then my itinerary was: Naples-Capri-Amalfi-Taormina-Cefalù-Palermo.
Thanks for your feedback!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Zermatt this weekend, a good idea looking at the weather?
- 2 Warning about visa subcontractor VFS Global in Chicago
- 3 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 4 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 5 3 days solo in London
- 6 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 7 Any suggested guide or tour companies for the Acropolis?
- 8 Fodors's Slow to Load Lately?
- 9 Feedback On Relaxed Plan While Staying In Saignon
- 10 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 11 Day hikes in Switzerland
- 12 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 13 If you visit London, go to the Kew Gardens!
- 14 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 15 Scotland
- 16 Swiss Pass vs Half Fare Card??
- 17 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 18 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 19 Maximizing Norway time
- 20 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 21 Studying art in English in venice
- 22 Berlin to ?
- 23 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 24 Driving Prague to Zurich to Amsterdam w/ 2 toddlers
- 25 Transportation from Westport via Athlone to Belturbet or Ballinamore area