I am planning a trip to southern Italy, and I'd like to have your feedback on my itinerary.
Arrival in Rome in late June taking a three hour train ride to Sulmona
- Sulmona: 4 nights with a day trip to Scanno
Two hour train ride down to Termoli and fifty minute boat to the Tremiti archipelago.
- Tremiti Islands: 4 nights with no day trips.
Fifty minute boat back to Termoli and three hour train ride down to Lecce.
- Lecce: 4 nights with a day trip to Gallipoli
Two hour train ride up to Bari.
- Bari: 4 nights with day trips to Alberobello and Matera
Four hour train ride back to Rome
- Rome: 4 nights to revisit the city with no day trips.
End of my trip in the middle of July. Return home from Rome.
What do you think of the logistics? Am I being too ambitious? My main goal is to stroll, visit churches, spend time on the beach, eat and enjoy the atmosphere. I've been thinking about cutting off Bari and add an extra night to visit Alberobello from Lecce in order to make it shorter and less hectic (I'm not a great fan of day trips). However, while I would've loved to spend a couple of nights in Matera, I cannot visit it from any of the other destinations as a day trip.
I visited Campania and Sicily in 2008 combining train/boats, and while I had a great time, I have to admit that I was a little tired by the third week. Back then my itinerary was: Naples-Capri-Amalfi-Taormina-Cefalù-Palermo.
Thanks for your feedback!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Prague Beyond the "Usual"
- 2 Auber metro station incident 27.08.16
- 3 Just booked Athens & Santorini
- 4 How many days in the cities of Bordeaux and la Rochelle?
- 5 Vizeat -- Anybody tried it?
- 6 Greece in 15 Days
- 7 Munich Travel Guide
- 8 To Varenna from Milan Malpensa: By car or by train?
- 9 Croatia-Slovenia- 30 days Road trip itinerary-2017
- 10 21 Days Family Trip Croatia-Budapest-Vienna-Prague-Munich
- 11 Planning Advice!
- 12 Paris Looses $846 Million in Tourism
- 13 Munich restaurant recs
- 14 Milan / Venice / Tuscany/ Barcelona
- 15 tablet
- 16 Help with itinerary
- 17 When to go to Norway for a ski trip?
- 18 Help! Final Questions on Western Liguria (Riviera Ponente) & Menton!
- 19 Norway holiday locations
- 20 Tour ideas for Malaga, Spain
- 21 Age requirement for hotels in Europe
- 22 Trip 6 to Rome and Amalfi
- 23 Flamenco -Seville 8/18 to 8/24/16
- 24 Stu Dudley's Provence and French Riviera Itinerary
- 25 Calling Flamenco fans including Kimhe