I am planning a trip to southern Italy, and I'd like to have your feedback on my itinerary.
Arrival in Rome in late June taking a three hour train ride to Sulmona
- Sulmona: 4 nights with a day trip to Scanno
Two hour train ride down to Termoli and fifty minute boat to the Tremiti archipelago.
- Tremiti Islands: 4 nights with no day trips.
Fifty minute boat back to Termoli and three hour train ride down to Lecce.
- Lecce: 4 nights with a day trip to Gallipoli
Two hour train ride up to Bari.
- Bari: 4 nights with day trips to Alberobello and Matera
Four hour train ride back to Rome
- Rome: 4 nights to revisit the city with no day trips.
End of my trip in the middle of July. Return home from Rome.
What do you think of the logistics? Am I being too ambitious? My main goal is to stroll, visit churches, spend time on the beach, eat and enjoy the atmosphere. I've been thinking about cutting off Bari and add an extra night to visit Alberobello from Lecce in order to make it shorter and less hectic (I'm not a great fan of day trips). However, while I would've loved to spend a couple of nights in Matera, I cannot visit it from any of the other destinations as a day trip.
I visited Campania and Sicily in 2008 combining train/boats, and while I had a great time, I have to admit that I was a little tired by the third week. Back then my itinerary was: Naples-Capri-Amalfi-Taormina-Cefalù-Palermo.
Thanks for your feedback!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sevilla to Cordoba Day Trip: How many hours needed?
- 2 Itinerary Help!
- 3 Spain in November
- 4 ls there anything such as Spanish cuisine?
- 5 How big backpack do I need?
- 6 Hotel to Seville train station -- how much time needed
- 7 AVE train tickets questions.
- 8 Istanbul - Would you go there?
- 9 Traveling with medication in bulk
- 10 Naples or Genoa
- 11 How did you or your family ended up in the country you are living now?
- 12 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 13 Is it just me or are German cities depressingly ugly?
- 14 France to stop making foie grois
- 15 Paris Museum Pass and Skip the Line
- 16 Sept. 2016 Apt. In Paris just cancelled---YIKES!
- 17 Prague on a budget...
- 18 December in Slovenia
- 19 Itinerary help please!
- 20 Italy - 19 days - 6 locations - Family of 4
- 21 Norway road trip- September 2016- suggestions please
- 22 Need some suggestions for Andalucia / Barcelona / Madrid starting Dec 25
- 23 How best to spend a day in Tallinn
- 24 Greece or Spain in April with Kids?
- 25 From Genoa to Rome...