I am planning a trip to southern Italy, and I'd like to have your feedback on my itinerary.
Arrival in Rome in late June taking a three hour train ride to Sulmona
- Sulmona: 4 nights with a day trip to Scanno
Two hour train ride down to Termoli and fifty minute boat to the Tremiti archipelago.
- Tremiti Islands: 4 nights with no day trips.
Fifty minute boat back to Termoli and three hour train ride down to Lecce.
- Lecce: 4 nights with a day trip to Gallipoli
Two hour train ride up to Bari.
- Bari: 4 nights with day trips to Alberobello and Matera
Four hour train ride back to Rome
- Rome: 4 nights to revisit the city with no day trips.
End of my trip in the middle of July. Return home from Rome.
What do you think of the logistics? Am I being too ambitious? My main goal is to stroll, visit churches, spend time on the beach, eat and enjoy the atmosphere. I've been thinking about cutting off Bari and add an extra night to visit Alberobello from Lecce in order to make it shorter and less hectic (I'm not a great fan of day trips). However, while I would've loved to spend a couple of nights in Matera, I cannot visit it from any of the other destinations as a day trip.
I visited Campania and Sicily in 2008 combining train/boats, and while I had a great time, I have to admit that I was a little tired by the third week. Back then my itinerary was: Naples-Capri-Amalfi-Taormina-Cefalù-Palermo.
Thanks for your feedback!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lonely Planet‘s Best in Europe list-your thoughts please
- 2 Need advice on multi-day, multi-museum private tours in Paris
- 3 Lisbon
- 4 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 5 Schengen Visa Question - Student Visa / Visitor Visa
- 6 Villa in Italy
- 7 Has the Paris Museum Pass lost its luster?
- 8 Places to stop/stay?
- 9 First Trip to Italy- Help!
- 10 Proposed electronics ban and questions about my Kindle
- 11 Car Rentals in Ireland
- 12 Paris: Museums, food and wine -- May 2017
- 13 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Wine tours and Luberon Wine Producers
- 14 TSA Precheck
- 15 Cycling Nice into Italy along the coast
- 16 Where in Greece
- 17 Liverpool, Cardiff & Salisbury - how would you do it?
- 18 8-days in Greece, Rhodes or Crete?
- 19 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 20 Paris..The St. Germain area.
- 21 Couscous
- 22 Help me make this possible!
- 23 Nice central hotel for single woman in Rome?
- 24 Italian lake cruise
- 25 Vatican tour