I am planning a trip to southern Italy, and I'd like to have your feedback on my itinerary.
Arrival in Rome in late June taking a three hour train ride to Sulmona
- Sulmona: 4 nights with a day trip to Scanno
Two hour train ride down to Termoli and fifty minute boat to the Tremiti archipelago.
- Tremiti Islands: 4 nights with no day trips.
Fifty minute boat back to Termoli and three hour train ride down to Lecce.
- Lecce: 4 nights with a day trip to Gallipoli
Two hour train ride up to Bari.
- Bari: 4 nights with day trips to Alberobello and Matera
Four hour train ride back to Rome
- Rome: 4 nights to revisit the city with no day trips.
End of my trip in the middle of July. Return home from Rome.
What do you think of the logistics? Am I being too ambitious? My main goal is to stroll, visit churches, spend time on the beach, eat and enjoy the atmosphere. I've been thinking about cutting off Bari and add an extra night to visit Alberobello from Lecce in order to make it shorter and less hectic (I'm not a great fan of day trips). However, while I would've loved to spend a couple of nights in Matera, I cannot visit it from any of the other destinations as a day trip.
I visited Campania and Sicily in 2008 combining train/boats, and while I had a great time, I have to admit that I was a little tired by the third week. Back then my itinerary was: Naples-Capri-Amalfi-Taormina-Cefalù-Palermo.
Thanks for your feedback!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First Trip to Europe Itinerary
- 2 Calling out to all Spain lovers! 2 weeks in mid Sep - need some new ideas!
- 3 Credit cards in Italy & France
- 4 Barcelona Sagrada Familia visit in evening
- 5 Provence Restaurant Suggestions
- 6 8 days in Andalusia-what do you think?
- 7 Suggestions for 3.5 day Sicilily Itinerary
- 8 Spanish air controllers strikes in June 2015
- 9 Munich- Prague-Berlin Itinerary Help
- 10 A month in Normandy (Rouen): calling Normandy afficionados
- 11 Doing laundry in Iceland?
- 12 Itinerary Help for Wheelchair Traveler
- 13 Best things to eat, see, do in Italy
- 14 Cash-free Scandinavia?
- 15 Lake Constance - Where to stay?
- 16 Finalizing Itinerary
- 17 Scottish Highlands For Two Days
- 18 Is one day in Portofino enough?
- 19 Honoring my Father, Belgium, Amsterdam, London and TWO GTGs
- 20 15 nights in Italy
- 21 Walking tour of Edinburgh
- 22 A day in Killarney
- 23 Worried my mother won't be able to fly!
- 24 Puglia impressions, in brief
- 25 International driving permit required in France?