This is my second post here, some of you folks were so friendly and helpful that I am eager for more guidance from those in the know!
My two teen daughters and I are planning a trip to Ireland in late June 2014 for about 12 days. Nothing is solidified yet, so we are still researching. We were initially considering travelling around the entire island to partake in the whole island, but in the end, we prefer to hunker down for 3-4 days per location to both suck up the local flavor and relax instead of driving incessantly. So we are focusing in on the south of Ireland--the Cork--Limerick--Galway corridor and anywhere southwest.
My first question is, give our time limit (12ish days), are we making a mistake in missing something wonderful that falls outside of where we are focusing?
Is Shannon a better alternative airport than Dublin, given our likely location?
Please fill me in on renting a car. I have heard I need to buy insurance and it is expensive. IS this a necessity?
I have heard driving can be not only a hassle but a true frustration, could someone set me straight? Am I endangering my life and my wallet driving myself?
Finally, and maybe most importantly, given the region we will possibly be staying in, where would you suggest going? We have heard of the beauty of Dingle and the Cliffs of Moher, someone here even suggested an island called Inishmore, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If we were going to spend 3 days in a place, that would mean 4 stops. Where would you suggest: Cork? Kilarney? Limerick? Galway?
Any "don't miss" sites in this area?
Thanks in advance for any help for us! We are so excited to go to the Emerald Isle!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 2 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 3 Train travel to and from Paris
- 4 International Drivers License for Sicily
- 5 2 Week Europe Itinerary
- 6 First trip to Paris! (and Amsterdam)
- 7 Paris to Switzerland to Venice in 2 weeks?
- 8 HELP: 3rd trip to France - where should I go?
- 9 Bruges, Ghent or Brussels?
- 10 Day Trip From Lisbon
- 11 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 12 Traveling in Belgium
- 13 Gtg's in Paris this summer ?
- 14 Europe's Most Famous Streets?
- 15 5 nights in Granada and Malaga - what combo?
- 16 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 17 Language to use in Belgium
- 18 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 19 Varenna to hotel near Milan airport
- 20 Avignon Pass - How Does it Work?
- 21 Moderately priced French restaurants in Paris: an update
- 22 Looking for recommendation for lodging in NAXOS, GREECE
- 23 Cape Sounion en route to Airport?
- 24 Italy Itinerary Gap to Fill - Alternate Suggestions
- 25 Andalucia Spain