This is my second post here, some of you folks were so friendly and helpful that I am eager for more guidance from those in the know!
My two teen daughters and I are planning a trip to Ireland in late June 2014 for about 12 days. Nothing is solidified yet, so we are still researching. We were initially considering travelling around the entire island to partake in the whole island, but in the end, we prefer to hunker down for 3-4 days per location to both suck up the local flavor and relax instead of driving incessantly. So we are focusing in on the south of Ireland--the Cork--Limerick--Galway corridor and anywhere southwest.
My first question is, give our time limit (12ish days), are we making a mistake in missing something wonderful that falls outside of where we are focusing?
Is Shannon a better alternative airport than Dublin, given our likely location?
Please fill me in on renting a car. I have heard I need to buy insurance and it is expensive. IS this a necessity?
I have heard driving can be not only a hassle but a true frustration, could someone set me straight? Am I endangering my life and my wallet driving myself?
Finally, and maybe most importantly, given the region we will possibly be staying in, where would you suggest going? We have heard of the beauty of Dingle and the Cliffs of Moher, someone here even suggested an island called Inishmore, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If we were going to spend 3 days in a place, that would mean 4 stops. Where would you suggest: Cork? Kilarney? Limerick? Galway?
Any "don't miss" sites in this area?
Thanks in advance for any help for us! We are so excited to go to the Emerald Isle!
Southern Ireland Location Help
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best of Southern France and Spain
- 2 Breaking out of the Nutshell: Oslo, Bergen, the Sognefjord and Copenhagen
- 3 What Have I Forgotten? Month in Europe Coming Up.
- 4 Dijon or Beaune for overnight?
- 5 French Government Endorses Airbnb in Paris...
- 6 Train from Rome Airport FCO to Florence
- 7 First pass itinerary for Spain in October?
- 8 Southern Turkey -- hiking the Lycian Way
- 9 Lycian Way
- 10 Some Observations on a Fantastic Journey through Western Turkey
- 11 Arc de Triomphe Elevator
- 12 Sintra - How to avoid steep uphill walking
- 13 Rental Car in Paris
- 14 Chip and Pin Card from Capital One
- 15 Lycian Way Self Guided Options
- 16 Trip from Berlin to Romantic Road towns/Bavaria
- 17 A week on the Amalfi Coast--Itinerary Advice Needed!
- 18 Is my itinerary the Best of Switzerland?
- 19 3 nights in sorrento/amalfi - please help with day planning
- 20 Macarons!
- 21 Cross Border Car Rental in Balkans
- 22 Best way to get from Athens to Naples & rec for Greek Isles & Amalfi Coast
- 23 1st timer
- 24 Vineyard visit from Paris (day trip): Burgundy vs Lorie Valley
- 25 Trip to Cornwall with senior - logistics assistance please?