This is my second post here, some of you folks were so friendly and helpful that I am eager for more guidance from those in the know!
My two teen daughters and I are planning a trip to Ireland in late June 2014 for about 12 days. Nothing is solidified yet, so we are still researching. We were initially considering travelling around the entire island to partake in the whole island, but in the end, we prefer to hunker down for 3-4 days per location to both suck up the local flavor and relax instead of driving incessantly. So we are focusing in on the south of Ireland--the Cork--Limerick--Galway corridor and anywhere southwest.
My first question is, give our time limit (12ish days), are we making a mistake in missing something wonderful that falls outside of where we are focusing?
Is Shannon a better alternative airport than Dublin, given our likely location?
Please fill me in on renting a car. I have heard I need to buy insurance and it is expensive. IS this a necessity?
I have heard driving can be not only a hassle but a true frustration, could someone set me straight? Am I endangering my life and my wallet driving myself?
Finally, and maybe most importantly, given the region we will possibly be staying in, where would you suggest going? We have heard of the beauty of Dingle and the Cliffs of Moher, someone here even suggested an island called Inishmore, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If we were going to spend 3 days in a place, that would mean 4 stops. Where would you suggest: Cork? Kilarney? Limerick? Galway?
Any "don't miss" sites in this area?
Thanks in advance for any help for us! We are so excited to go to the Emerald Isle!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Advice on Portugal for August honeymoon please
- 2 London (and the rest of the UK) Calling...
- 3 Best Hotel in Tuscany?
- 4 Honoring my Father, Belgium, Amsterdam, London and TWO GTGs
- 5 Tuscany literature
- 6 heathrow time needed
- 7 Northern Italy/Tuscany ideas
- 8 Help on September Trip to Spain
- 9 Bicycling in Tuscany - First Visit
- 10 Vineyards close to Lisboa, no car - Alentejo or Setubal?
- 11 Iceland Stopover Late September
- 12 Norway in Nutshell - weather
- 13 my current itinerary for future trip
- 14 Italy,Austria,Germany driving vacation
- 15 Edinburgh car rental, lodging, train to city
- 16 Where to buy Saffron?
- 17 Magical Greece. A 13 day jaunt across the Aegean
- 18 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 19 Scenic drive: Seville-Granada-Barcelona
- 20 15 nights in Italy
- 21 Kathie & Cheryl plan our 2016 trip to Europe
- 22 Rain boots for Baltic cruise?
- 23 Milan/Lake Como questions
- 24 Dordogne Trip Report
- 25 Restaurant favorites in Stresa and Bellagio