This is my second post here, some of you folks were so friendly and helpful that I am eager for more guidance from those in the know!
My two teen daughters and I are planning a trip to Ireland in late June 2014 for about 12 days. Nothing is solidified yet, so we are still researching. We were initially considering travelling around the entire island to partake in the whole island, but in the end, we prefer to hunker down for 3-4 days per location to both suck up the local flavor and relax instead of driving incessantly. So we are focusing in on the south of Ireland--the Cork--Limerick--Galway corridor and anywhere southwest.
My first question is, give our time limit (12ish days), are we making a mistake in missing something wonderful that falls outside of where we are focusing?
Is Shannon a better alternative airport than Dublin, given our likely location?
Please fill me in on renting a car. I have heard I need to buy insurance and it is expensive. IS this a necessity?
I have heard driving can be not only a hassle but a true frustration, could someone set me straight? Am I endangering my life and my wallet driving myself?
Finally, and maybe most importantly, given the region we will possibly be staying in, where would you suggest going? We have heard of the beauty of Dingle and the Cliffs of Moher, someone here even suggested an island called Inishmore, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If we were going to spend 3 days in a place, that would mean 4 stops. Where would you suggest: Cork? Kilarney? Limerick? Galway?
Any "don't miss" sites in this area?
Thanks in advance for any help for us! We are so excited to go to the Emerald Isle!
Southern Ireland Itinierary Help
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Northern Italy for Nature Lovers/Crowd Haters
- 2 Anyone used London Connections to book an apartment in London?
- 3 Scandinavia and RCL 8 Night Norwegian Fjords Cruise 2015
- 4 German Rail Twin Pass
- 5 Madrid: Historic Homes & Gardens
- 6 6 weeks Spain Itinerary
- 7 ITALO trains need help
- 8 London restaurants
- 9 Venice: budget hotel for high school group?
- 10 Paris: where does a large family can eat and sleep in February?
- 11 How much luggage?????
- 12 Paris: for a family with children, Saint Germain or Le Marais?
- 13 Passport not stamped on entry into Rome, hassle exiting Frankfurt
- 14 5 days in Bremen for a conference
- 15 Iwan2go went to the Dordogne
- 16 Music and/or Favorite Day Trips, Barcelona
- 17 A New Look at the Pilgrimage Footpath to Santiago de la Compestella...
- 18 London before and after a cruise leaving from Southampton
- 19 Berlin Recommendations & Trip Highlights
- 20 Vienna State Opera Tickets
- 21 How to schedule train connection from Frankfurt Airport
- 22 Paris Markets for a 5 Course Meal
- 23 White Villages base?
- 24 10 days to Explore Europe
- 25 July in The Mezzogiorno – 3 weeks in Southern Italy: Amalfi Coast & Puglia