This is my second post here, some of you folks were so friendly and helpful that I am eager for more guidance from those in the know!
My two teen daughters and I are planning a trip to Ireland in late June 2014 for about 12 days. Nothing is solidified yet, so we are still researching. We were initially considering travelling around the entire island to partake in the whole island, but in the end, we prefer to hunker down for 3-4 days per location to both suck up the local flavor and relax instead of driving incessantly. So we are focusing in on the south of Ireland--the Cork--Limerick--Galway corridor and anywhere southwest.
My first question is, give our time limit (12ish days), are we making a mistake in missing something wonderful that falls outside of where we are focusing?
Is Shannon a better alternative airport than Dublin, given our likely location?
Please fill me in on renting a car. I have heard I need to buy insurance and it is expensive. IS this a necessity?
I have heard driving can be not only a hassle but a true frustration, could someone set me straight? Am I endangering my life and my wallet driving myself?
Finally, and maybe most importantly, given the region we will possibly be staying in, where would you suggest going? We have heard of the beauty of Dingle and the Cliffs of Moher, someone here even suggested an island called Inishmore, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If we were going to spend 3 days in a place, that would mean 4 stops. Where would you suggest: Cork? Kilarney? Limerick? Galway?
Any "don't miss" sites in this area?
Thanks in advance for any help for us! We are so excited to go to the Emerald Isle!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cork or Galway?
- 2 Arrival day suggestions (South Kensington)
- 3 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 4 Barcelona completely overrated
- 5 Seville in late January
- 6 Greenland from the Air trip report, photo gallery
- 7 Spain Itinerary Help
- 8 2 days brussel day trip london?
- 9 Well, I'm always warning people
- 10 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 11 Geneva Airport Arrival
- 12 4 Nights in London - Itinerary Details
- 13 3 days to spend in europe
- 14 Travel between Paris, Normandy and Brugges
- 15 Roundabout from "European Vacation" movie?
- 16 Beaches in Southern France
- 17 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 18 Amsterdam or any other city near London/Paris
- 19 Meeting place into Venice Marco Polo Airport
- 20 Amsterdam for 5 days - HELP
- 21 Europe Sim card help
- 22 4 days in London worth the jetlag?
- 23 15+ days in Sicily -- first crack at itinerary
- 24 Celebrity Reflection Greek Island Cruise
- 25 Shopping: and how to bring it back with you? Spain/Basque/France