This is my second post here, some of you folks were so friendly and helpful that I am eager for more guidance from those in the know!
My two teen daughters and I are planning a trip to Ireland in late June 2014 for about 12 days. Nothing is solidified yet, so we are still researching. We were initially considering travelling around the entire island to partake in the whole island, but in the end, we prefer to hunker down for 3-4 days per location to both suck up the local flavor and relax instead of driving incessantly. So we are focusing in on the south of Ireland--the Cork--Limerick--Galway corridor and anywhere southwest.
My first question is, give our time limit (12ish days), are we making a mistake in missing something wonderful that falls outside of where we are focusing?
Is Shannon a better alternative airport than Dublin, given our likely location?
Please fill me in on renting a car. I have heard I need to buy insurance and it is expensive. IS this a necessity?
I have heard driving can be not only a hassle but a true frustration, could someone set me straight? Am I endangering my life and my wallet driving myself?
Finally, and maybe most importantly, given the region we will possibly be staying in, where would you suggest going? We have heard of the beauty of Dingle and the Cliffs of Moher, someone here even suggested an island called Inishmore, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If we were going to spend 3 days in a place, that would mean 4 stops. Where would you suggest: Cork? Kilarney? Limerick? Galway?
Any "don't miss" sites in this area?
Thanks in advance for any help for us! We are so excited to go to the Emerald Isle!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 NORTON 1800:681:7208 installation renewal CONTACT NORTON Tec*h care 24/7
- 2 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 3 Barcelona alternative
- 4 Christmas windows in Paris 2016
- 5 God Save the Queen?
- 6 Piedmont, Cinque Terre, Lucca trip report
- 7 Daily budget for London (accommodation already paid for)
- 8 Trip Report: Scotland, Vienna, Prague, and Berlin (May/June 2017)
- 9 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 10 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 11 Paris to Italy
- 12 9 Days in Spain
- 13 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 14 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 15 Bulgaria- hidden gems
- 16 Frankfurt to UK
- 17 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 18 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 19 Spanish Medical Providers
- 20 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 21 One last lunch in Rome - recommendations near Vatican City please
- 22 Iceland
- 23 Milan or Turin
- 24 Upscale Vacation Apartment Rentals in Vienna/Prague
- 25 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome