In June, my two teen daughters (17, 15) and I are going to Western Ireland. On vacations, we love to wander and adventure, love to stay someplace for a few days at a time instead of moving each day and avoid urban settings--towns are nice, cities we avoid. We love off-the-beaten-path places and avoid the over hyped sites.
I am nearly done with Rick Steve's Ireland 2014 and that has basically led me to focus our upcoming vacation on the South and Western areas of Ireland. We are planning on staying 12-14 days and maybe stay at 3-4 different locations. We will likely land in Shannon and in the South, we want to do Dingle, the Ring of Kerry (which looks like more than a one day adventure), Beara Peninsula, Rock of Cashel and Kinsale/Cobh.
Initially, I was thinking of staying in Kinmare and using that as a base camp for all of these areas, but I am thinking we could do better and avoid much of the travel. Perhaps split the area in two--Dingle/Kerry and Beara/Rock/Cobh. Is this a good idea? If so, where would you stay for both areas? I am especially wondering about Kerry/Dingle to avoid those Kerry bus convoys.
Steve's book doesn't say much about Beara, nor much to the immediate North besides the touristy spots I have already listed. Can anyone tell me if Beara is a nice visit? Is there any other place in that area you would suggest that I might have missed?
Thanks for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How did you or your family ended up in the country you are living now?
- 2 From London to Paris to US
- 3 Itinerary help please!
- 4 Barcelona attraction tickets
- 5 "PARIS FOR RENT". Apartments----has anyone used this service?
- 6 Day Trip from Lausanne
- 7 First Draft: Croatia, BiH, and Slovenia
- 8 Venice, Maggiore, Jungfrau
- 9 Sept. 2016 Apt. In Paris just cancelled---YIKES!
- 10 France to stop making foie grois
- 11 Is it just me or are German cities depressingly ugly?
- 12 Holiday Itinerary
- 13 Car hire
- 14 Ireland driving itinerary
- 15 Paris Museum Pass and Skip the Line
- 16 Need Barcelona Gaudi Ticket Help
- 17 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 18 ls there anything such as Spanish cuisine?
- 19 Naples or Genoa
- 20 French Gov't Passes New Labor Law Despite...
- 21 San Sebastián house rental with kids
- 22 Itinerary Help!
- 23 Visiting the Black Forest
- 24 Barcelona to Morocco
- 25 European countries thst could use some hospitality lessons.