In June, my two teen daughters (17, 15) and I are going to Western Ireland. On vacations, we love to wander and adventure, love to stay someplace for a few days at a time instead of moving each day and avoid urban settings--towns are nice, cities we avoid. We love off-the-beaten-path places and avoid the over hyped sites.
I am nearly done with Rick Steve's Ireland 2014 and that has basically led me to focus our upcoming vacation on the South and Western areas of Ireland. We are planning on staying 12-14 days and maybe stay at 3-4 different locations. We will likely land in Shannon and in the South, we want to do Dingle, the Ring of Kerry (which looks like more than a one day adventure), Beara Peninsula, Rock of Cashel and Kinsale/Cobh.
Initially, I was thinking of staying in Kinmare and using that as a base camp for all of these areas, but I am thinking we could do better and avoid much of the travel. Perhaps split the area in two--Dingle/Kerry and Beara/Rock/Cobh. Is this a good idea? If so, where would you stay for both areas? I am especially wondering about Kerry/Dingle to avoid those Kerry bus convoys.
Steve's book doesn't say much about Beara, nor much to the immediate North besides the touristy spots I have already listed. Can anyone tell me if Beara is a nice visit? Is there any other place in that area you would suggest that I might have missed?
Thanks for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Chilling in the Aeolian Islands
- 2 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 3 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 4 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 5 16 Days in Scotland in May with Our Two Boys
- 6 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 7 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 8 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 9 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 10 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 11 Things to do in Brussels
- 12 Madrid airport question
- 13 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 14 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 15 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 16 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 17 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 18 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 19 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 20 Italy Honeymoon in September
- 21 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 22 38 Days in Paris
- 23 Naxos car rental
- 24 Greek Islands (small)
- 25 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)