In June, my two teen daughters (17, 15) and I are going to Western Ireland. On vacations, we love to wander and adventure, love to stay someplace for a few days at a time instead of moving each day and avoid urban settings--towns are nice, cities we avoid. We love off-the-beaten-path places and avoid the over hyped sites.
I am nearly done with Rick Steve's Ireland 2014 and that has basically led me to focus our upcoming vacation on the South and Western areas of Ireland. We are planning on staying 12-14 days and maybe stay at 3-4 different locations. We will likely land in Shannon and in the South, we want to do Dingle, the Ring of Kerry (which looks like more than a one day adventure), Beara Peninsula, Rock of Cashel and Kinsale/Cobh.
Initially, I was thinking of staying in Kinmare and using that as a base camp for all of these areas, but I am thinking we could do better and avoid much of the travel. Perhaps split the area in two--Dingle/Kerry and Beara/Rock/Cobh. Is this a good idea? If so, where would you stay for both areas? I am especially wondering about Kerry/Dingle to avoid those Kerry bus convoys.
Steve's book doesn't say much about Beara, nor much to the immediate North besides the touristy spots I have already listed. Can anyone tell me if Beara is a nice visit? Is there any other place in that area you would suggest that I might have missed?
Thanks for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London-Help Me Spend Money
- 2 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 3 Luggage Storage
- 4 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 5 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 6 Paris hotels
- 7 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 8 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 9 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 10 London Hotels
- 11 Intercity Notte training boarding time
- 12 25th Anniversary in Italy - Spring 2017
- 13 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 14 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 15 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 16 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 17 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 18 Back from Paris
- 19 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 20 Summer Travel order
- 21 10 days in Paris and......
- 22 Another tipping question: concierges
- 23 Brugge hotel help
- 24 Omonia metro to Piraeus
- 25 Which airport for Bellagio?