In June, my two teen daughters (17, 15) and I are going to Western Ireland. On vacations, we love to wander and adventure, love to stay someplace for a few days at a time instead of moving each day and avoid urban settings--towns are nice, cities we avoid. We love off-the-beaten-path places and avoid the over hyped sites.
I am nearly done with Rick Steve's Ireland 2014 and that has basically led me to focus our upcoming vacation on the South and Western areas of Ireland. We are planning on staying 12-14 days and maybe stay at 3-4 different locations. We will likely land in Shannon and in the South, we want to do Dingle, the Ring of Kerry (which looks like more than a one day adventure), Beara Peninsula, Rock of Cashel and Kinsale/Cobh.
Initially, I was thinking of staying in Kinmare and using that as a base camp for all of these areas, but I am thinking we could do better and avoid much of the travel. Perhaps split the area in two--Dingle/Kerry and Beara/Rock/Cobh. Is this a good idea? If so, where would you stay for both areas? I am especially wondering about Kerry/Dingle to avoid those Kerry bus convoys.
Steve's book doesn't say much about Beara, nor much to the immediate North besides the touristy spots I have already listed. Can anyone tell me if Beara is a nice visit? Is there any other place in that area you would suggest that I might have missed?
Thanks for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Can't go to Ravello so....where?
- 2 Italy by Train - Sequence Recommendations
- 3 Car Rental in Italy: Insurance Needed/Suggested
- 4 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 5 Italy by car
- 6 Spain and Portugal for two and a half weeks
- 7 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 8 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 9 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 10 Off to Ireland again! Solo trip...
- 11 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 12 Fill 4 or 5 days for me please-Spain
- 13 Our Amalfi Coast Adventure—Orlando to Dublin to Naples to Praiano
- 14 Ireland in October?
- 15 Barcelona - Tickets to Gaudi sites
- 16 Barcelona-Valencia- ??? - Barcelona
- 17 Driving through the Pyrenees
- 18 Italy train strike - high speed trains?
- 19 St Andrews or Edinburgh
- 20 Going to Denmark, Norway – what is there to see?
- 21 Itinerary….Need help from Ireland Guru's
- 22 Passport not stamped on entry into Rome, hassle exiting Frankfurt
- 23 Lyon
- 24 Dolomites October 14-18
- 25 Traveling into Frankfurt and catching a flight to London