In June, my two teen daughters (17, 15) and I are going to Western Ireland. On vacations, we love to wander and adventure, love to stay someplace for a few days at a time instead of moving each day and avoid urban settings--towns are nice, cities we avoid. We love off-the-beaten-path places and avoid the over hyped sites.
I am nearly done with Rick Steve's Ireland 2014 and that has basically led me to focus our upcoming vacation on the South and Western areas of Ireland. We are planning on staying 12-14 days and maybe stay at 3-4 different locations. We will likely land in Shannon and in the South, we want to do Dingle, the Ring of Kerry (which looks like more than a one day adventure), Beara Peninsula, Rock of Cashel and Kinsale/Cobh.
Initially, I was thinking of staying in Kinmare and using that as a base camp for all of these areas, but I am thinking we could do better and avoid much of the travel. Perhaps split the area in two--Dingle/Kerry and Beara/Rock/Cobh. Is this a good idea? If so, where would you stay for both areas? I am especially wondering about Kerry/Dingle to avoid those Kerry bus convoys.
Steve's book doesn't say much about Beara, nor much to the immediate North besides the touristy spots I have already listed. Can anyone tell me if Beara is a nice visit? Is there any other place in that area you would suggest that I might have missed?
Thanks for any advice!
Southern Ireland Base(s) of Operation
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 FCO-area hotel advice, family of 4 with young children
- 2 Romantic France/Italy Countryside tour/itinerary
- 3 Connecting flights. Customs/Security.
- 4 history museums or locations
- 5 One night stopover in Dolomites, where?
- 6 Garmisch Partenkirchen Christmas packing list
- 7 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 8 Greek Seas- Sailing on the Mediterranean
- 9 6 additional days starting from Munich in April - recommendations?
- 10 Andalucia by car or train???? please help
- 11 Good times in Munich, the city
- 12 8 days en route to Salzburg - help me plan my itinerary!
- 13 Where to get best blue trout in Bavaria?
- 14 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 15 South of Spain in late September - cities/areas?
- 16 Lake Como transportation questions
- 17 Northern Italy Itinerary Help
- 18 2 weeks in Barcelona and Swiss Apls
- 19 Crete, Rhodes... or?
- 20 Greece or Portugal for 3-4 week fall sojourn?
- 21 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 22 By train to and out of Prague
- 23 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 24 Cylades Island Hopping
- 25 Looking for advice on Christmas Market trip (Germany)