In June, my two teen daughters (17, 15) and I are going to Western Ireland. On vacations, we love to wander and adventure, love to stay someplace for a few days at a time instead of moving each day and avoid urban settings--towns are nice, cities we avoid. We love off-the-beaten-path places and avoid the over hyped sites.
I am nearly done with Rick Steve's Ireland 2014 and that has basically led me to focus our upcoming vacation on the South and Western areas of Ireland. We are planning on staying 12-14 days and maybe stay at 3-4 different locations. We will likely land in Shannon and in the South, we want to do Dingle, the Ring of Kerry (which looks like more than a one day adventure), Beara Peninsula, Rock of Cashel and Kinsale/Cobh.
Initially, I was thinking of staying in Kinmare and using that as a base camp for all of these areas, but I am thinking we could do better and avoid much of the travel. Perhaps split the area in two--Dingle/Kerry and Beara/Rock/Cobh. Is this a good idea? If so, where would you stay for both areas? I am especially wondering about Kerry/Dingle to avoid those Kerry bus convoys.
Steve's book doesn't say much about Beara, nor much to the immediate North besides the touristy spots I have already listed. Can anyone tell me if Beara is a nice visit? Is there any other place in that area you would suggest that I might have missed?
Thanks for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What am I missing: Amsterdam
- 2 4 flats for a month in Ireland
- 3 Ravello to Paestum
- 4 Switzerland and Northern Italy
- 5 Italy, transport from Assiso to Cita di castello
- 6 London Itinerary and Questions
- 7 MiFi in Italy
- 8 1 week in winter. Where to go?
- 9 Europe 27 days trip, HELP!
- 10 4 Nights in London - Itinerary Details
- 11 Dordogne and Loire Valley
- 12 Barcelona completely overrated
- 13 French lavender and cottages
- 14 What Greek islands should I visit
- 15 Amsterdam or any other city near London/Paris
- 16 Earthquake, so sad for Italy
- 17 Car Rental at Malaga Port
- 18 Help with travel from Cinque Terre to Milan Linate Airport!
- 19 Based in Burford, how to spend our time
- 20 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 21 Spain Itinerary Help
- 22 Puffins! No luck. So, where and when did you see them?
- 23 And now...the 100 best things in Iceland.
- 24 First visit to France/Dordogne
- 25 Milan to Zurich - stops & stayovers