In June, my two teen daughters (17, 15) and I are going to Western Ireland. On vacations, we love to wander and adventure, love to stay someplace for a few days at a time instead of moving each day and avoid urban settings--towns are nice, cities we avoid. We love off-the-beaten-path places and avoid the over hyped sites.
I am nearly done with Rick Steve's Ireland 2014 and that has basically led me to focus our upcoming vacation on the South and Western areas of Ireland. We are planning on staying 12-14 days and maybe stay at 3-4 different locations. We will likely land in Shannon and in the South, we want to do Dingle, the Ring of Kerry (which looks like more than a one day adventure), Beara Peninsula, Rock of Cashel and Kinsale/Cobh.
Initially, I was thinking of staying in Kinmare and using that as a base camp for all of these areas, but I am thinking we could do better and avoid much of the travel. Perhaps split the area in two--Dingle/Kerry and Beara/Rock/Cobh. Is this a good idea? If so, where would you stay for both areas? I am especially wondering about Kerry/Dingle to avoid those Kerry bus convoys.
Steve's book doesn't say much about Beara, nor much to the immediate North besides the touristy spots I have already listed. Can anyone tell me if Beara is a nice visit? Is there any other place in that area you would suggest that I might have missed?
Thanks for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 My Fundraising Dream in Paris
- 2 Venice Restaurant on Easter Sunday?
- 3 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 4 How to get from the Airport (Charles de Gaul) to Marais
- 5 London and Paris 13 day HS graduation trip
- 6 Honeymoon - Spain & Greece
- 7 Hotel advice
- 8 Spain, Madrid, 2 nights w/car
- 9 5 women, Italy, need suggestions
- 10 Sienna with kids
- 11 What to see in Dresden...
- 12 Family Trip to Italy - North or South? April, July or October?
- 13 Istanbul - FOOD!
- 14 Oh Italy, What to wear!
- 15 Where to spend Easter in Portugal
- 16 London, Edinburgh, Italy..HELP!
- 17 St Remy area for Provence base?
- 18 Paris: Best Hot Chocolate
- 19 Doobie in Amsterdam
- 20 Tour or independent
- 21 Rome, Amalfi coast September/October help
- 22 Back to Bari--Basilicata Itinerary Musings
- 23 Gengenbach or Schiltach
- 24 Easter in Tuscany - which town to stay?
- 25 Classical Music in Milan