In June, my two teen daughters (17, 15) and I are going to Western Ireland. On vacations, we love to wander and adventure, love to stay someplace for a few days at a time instead of moving each day and avoid urban settings--towns are nice, cities we avoid. We love off-the-beaten-path places and avoid the over hyped sites.
I am nearly done with Rick Steve's Ireland 2014 and that has basically led me to focus our upcoming vacation on the South and Western areas of Ireland. We are planning on staying 12-14 days and maybe stay at 3-4 different locations. We will likely land in Shannon and in the South, we want to do Dingle, the Ring of Kerry (which looks like more than a one day adventure), Beara Peninsula, Rock of Cashel and Kinsale/Cobh.
Initially, I was thinking of staying in Kinmare and using that as a base camp for all of these areas, but I am thinking we could do better and avoid much of the travel. Perhaps split the area in two--Dingle/Kerry and Beara/Rock/Cobh. Is this a good idea? If so, where would you stay for both areas? I am especially wondering about Kerry/Dingle to avoid those Kerry bus convoys.
Steve's book doesn't say much about Beara, nor much to the immediate North besides the touristy spots I have already listed. Can anyone tell me if Beara is a nice visit? Is there any other place in that area you would suggest that I might have missed?
Thanks for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Stay in Multalcino or Montepulciano
- 2 10 day Greek Island trip
- 3 Thoughts on an unusual itinerary for Northern Spain please
- 4 Need help in travel planning
- 5 French immersion courses in France
- 6 Best European Cities for Walking Challenged
- 7 Puglia or La Langhe
- 8 Swiss trains/Basel to Zurich
- 9 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 10 Visiting Spain in January
- 11 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 12 Portugal itinerary help
- 13 Will I need air conditioning near Lucca in early July?
- 14 Europe in late January
- 15 Need help with train service Bologna, Rimini, Rome
- 16 English Countryside
- 17 Britain's contactless public transport revolution moves to Oxford
- 18 Paris---baguette question???
- 19 What to wear visiting England and France during winter?
- 20 Scenic Driving Routes
- 21 Berlin
- 22 First Time Europe Itinerary 8 Weeks
- 23 1-Day Drive: Ballyvaughan to Dublin, which of these 3 routes?
- 24 Europe in the Winter for a week
- 25 How beautiful is Lisbon compared to other european ciites?