In June, my two teen daughters (17, 15) and I are going to Western Ireland. On vacations, we love to wander and adventure, love to stay someplace for a few days at a time instead of moving each day and avoid urban settings--towns are nice, cities we avoid. We love off-the-beaten-path places and avoid the over hyped sites.
I am nearly done with Rick Steve's Ireland 2014 and that has basically led me to focus our upcoming vacation on the South and Western areas of Ireland. We are planning on staying 12-14 days and maybe stay at 3-4 different locations. We will likely land in Shannon and in the South, we want to do Dingle, the Ring of Kerry (which looks like more than a one day adventure), Beara Peninsula, Rock of Cashel and Kinsale/Cobh.
Initially, I was thinking of staying in Kinmare and using that as a base camp for all of these areas, but I am thinking we could do better and avoid much of the travel. Perhaps split the area in two--Dingle/Kerry and Beara/Rock/Cobh. Is this a good idea? If so, where would you stay for both areas? I am especially wondering about Kerry/Dingle to avoid those Kerry bus convoys.
Steve's book doesn't say much about Beara, nor much to the immediate North besides the touristy spots I have already listed. Can anyone tell me if Beara is a nice visit? Is there any other place in that area you would suggest that I might have missed?
Thanks for any advice!
Southern Ireland Base(s) of Operation
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Swiss pass or Individual tickets?
- 2 Can't choose between Seville and Granada!
- 3 Basque Spain to Lourdes to Carcassonne to Provence! 12 busy days solo
- 4 Scotland
- 5 itinerary help
- 6 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 7 Online hotel reservation sites reliable?
- 8 9 nights in Switzerland Help!Please.
- 9 Restaurant with a view - Florence
- 10 Toulouse and beyond -
- 11 Hotwire zones in Barcelona & London
- 12 Estonia Amber
- 13 7 days in Greece
- 14 French embassy schengen visa related questions
- 15 Location and amenities in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 16 7-8 days in Greece HELP!
- 17 Bergamo/Bellagio - suggestions?
- 18 Reims for a day
- 19 Questions - Planning a Family Trip to Greece this summer
- 20 October travel to Northern France--early or late?
- 21 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 22 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 23 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 24 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 25 Where to stay family of 5 in Rome? Hotel or rental suggestions please!!