We're hiring a car for 8 days in southern Germany next year and I just wanted to see what people suggested as the best pick up / drop off locations. I'd rather avoid the bigger cities if possible.
My plan is to catch the train from Frankfurt to Offenburg and pick up a car here, but the drop off place is the one I'm not sure about.
We will end up at Hotel Haus Lippman in Beilstein and need to get to Cologne. I think the best options for car drop off are:
- Mayen (the train is then 1h 40m to Cologne)
- Koblenz (direct train to Cologne in 1hr)
- Cologne Airport (direct train to Cologne in 15mins)
We've driven in Tuscany and Burgunday before, but not Germany. We won't be doing any sightseeing on the way from Beistein to the drop off location as we want to head straight to Cologne.
Is there a preferred drop off place that isn't a big city to drive through from the above 3 locations? Alternate suggestions are welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 2 What is the best flight itinerary from Los Angeles to Granada, Spain
- 3 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 4 Europe in October!
- 5 Best way to get around Scotland w/out a rental car??
- 6 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 7 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 8 Barcelona - places to stay
- 9 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 10 Croatia, Slovenia & Bosnia Itinerary Feedback
- 11 Bus Nice Airport to Frejus
- 12 B&Bs in Ireland
- 13 Zadar or Sibenik
- 14 Italica (Sevilla) or Medina al-Zahra (Cordoba)
- 15 Guide in Russia
- 16 Train travel
- 17 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 18 SKIP THE LINE TICKETS TO VERSAILLES AND LOUVRE
- 19 My delightful sampling of Switzerland’s gems, with many thanks
- 20 Switzerland for 2 weeks
- 21 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 22 travel fan 220v?
- 23 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 24 First Trip to Paris
- 25 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?