We are planning a trip in late March to visit our DD in Lausanne. She's been studying abroad and we can't resist the chance to go back and visit her once more before her year ends.
We have booked RT tickets SFO - GVA. Land in GVA on Wed March 23. Will train to Lausanne and stay there 2 - 3 nights.
We had been looking at taking a river cruise along the Rhone River. But I just can't do it. I'm afraid we will be wishing for more time on our own. I know we will take a river cruise someday but this spring is not the time. We were thinking to head to the south of France, the Provence area. We have 9 nights to plan for. There are two Sundays in those 9 nights, the first Sunday is Easter Sunday. So I am concerned about where we are on those Sundays and the ability to still have the opportunity for sightseeing on those days.
Reading as much as I can on the area and think that perhaps Arles, Avignon and Aix-en-Provence would be plenty to see.
We have been to Marseille and seen Monaco so not thinking we need to go over that way.
Also, DH is not fond of driving, is it possible to train to these areas, and perhaps sign up for a few day tours that would get us out in the country a bit? Any recommendations on good day tours you have been on in the area? Otherwise, we may rent a car in one of these towns, use it for a few days then return it. Interested in your thoughts and experiences in the area.
We will train back to Lausanne on Monday April 4, stay there two nights, then Geneva the last night before returning home on the 7th.
Thank you for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Crete/Athens June 2017
- 2 Heathrow Terminal 2 - Immigration, Bags & Pick-Up
- 3 Krakow and Prague-one week
- 4 Barcelona, Bilboa, Cuena, Madrid
- 5 Cordoba Overnight?
- 6 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 7 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 8 Marseille vs. Genoa
- 9 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 10 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
- 11 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 12 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 13 London Pass vs. OysterCard,or get both?
- 14 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?
- 15 Itinerary help for 2 weeks vacation
- 16 Early Itinerary Munich to Croatia
- 17 ST.TROPEZ - 1 day Excursions
- 18 Uffizi Phone Number
- 19 Itinerary Help Needed. 8 Days in Greece~
- 20 I have six days in Spain - where should I go?
- 21 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 22 Piedmont as a destination
- 23 Italy Hotel Recommondations
- 24 Comments on Munich, Saltzburg, Lucerne hotels
- 25 10 days in Italy with 5 and 10 year olds in July
Southern France itinerary, transportation, possible day tours