We are planning a trip in late March to visit our DD in Lausanne. She's been studying abroad and we can't resist the chance to go back and visit her once more before her year ends.
We have booked RT tickets SFO - GVA. Land in GVA on Wed March 23. Will train to Lausanne and stay there 2 - 3 nights.
We had been looking at taking a river cruise along the Rhone River. But I just can't do it. I'm afraid we will be wishing for more time on our own. I know we will take a river cruise someday but this spring is not the time. We were thinking to head to the south of France, the Provence area. We have 9 nights to plan for. There are two Sundays in those 9 nights, the first Sunday is Easter Sunday. So I am concerned about where we are on those Sundays and the ability to still have the opportunity for sightseeing on those days.
Reading as much as I can on the area and think that perhaps Arles, Avignon and Aix-en-Provence would be plenty to see.
We have been to Marseille and seen Monaco so not thinking we need to go over that way.
Also, DH is not fond of driving, is it possible to train to these areas, and perhaps sign up for a few day tours that would get us out in the country a bit? Any recommendations on good day tours you have been on in the area? Otherwise, we may rent a car in one of these towns, use it for a few days then return it. Interested in your thoughts and experiences in the area.
We will train back to Lausanne on Monday April 4, stay there two nights, then Geneva the last night before returning home on the 7th.
Thank you for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Madrid food advice needed
- 2 Need help in completing trip details
- 3 A couple last minute questions before my first trip to Barcelona
- 4 Burgundy or Languedoc-Rousillon
- 5 Split to Hvar
- 6 Paris for children
- 7 Southern Italy Help - Part 2
- 8 A week all around Sicily - May 2017
- 9 Please Help! Day Trips to Bern, Thun, Castles, and MORE!
- 10 Which area to stay in London
- 11 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 12 Villa Ephrussi Rothschild
- 13 Algarve - is it for me?
- 14 Amsterdam Anne Frank House
- 15 offline navigation for a tablet in Germany and Austria
- 16 Itinery help Crete
- 17 Naples + Walking Tour
- 18 Madrid, Andalucia, Barcelona in May
- 19 Purchasing Kosta Boda in Stockholm. Firsts and seconds
- 20 TIM in FCO - update
- 21 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 22 16 days in France and Italy
- 23 Street parking in Barcelona?
- 24 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 25 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz - Memorial Day Special
Southern France itinerary, transportation, possible day tours