We are returning to Italy and are finalizing our itinerary and wondered if we should make Sorrento or Naples our home base for visiting the Amalfi Coast and surrounding area. I realize that Naples is a big city and have read all the comments about how "unsafe" it can be but also realize that street smarts is important in any large city. I would like to hear from anyone who has stayed in both places and what are the differences and suggestions as to which one we should make our home base. Our travel agent (who is from Italy and returns once a month) has arranged a guide for us in Naples, saying that he would not send us there without a guide.
Sorrento or Naples?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Autumn in Paris
- 2 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 3 TR: Self indulgence in London and Venice
- 4 Question on France travel
- 5 Crete, Santorini, Naxos, Mykonos, Athens
- 6 Need Advice: 12 Days in Europe
- 7 Portugal or Bulgaria
- 8 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 9 Ireland or Scotland
- 10 Italy and Croatia
- 11 St Germain
- 12 Where to go in France mid July?
- 13 trip to norway
- 14 When Christmas markets of 2014 are going to start in Tyrol in Austrian part
- 15 Family heritage/name origin services in Poland?
- 16 Food tours in Rome and other tours as well
- 17 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 18 Following the Tour de France via Campervan
- 19 Cruise the River Shannon
- 20 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 21 Food tours in Rome?
- 22 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 23 Rome Food Tour
- 24 How late is too late for a trip report?
- 25 Something unique about your best city anywhere in Europe