We are returning to Italy and are finalizing our itinerary and wondered if we should make Sorrento or Naples our home base for visiting the Amalfi Coast and surrounding area. I realize that Naples is a big city and have read all the comments about how "unsafe" it can be but also realize that street smarts is important in any large city. I would like to hear from anyone who has stayed in both places and what are the differences and suggestions as to which one we should make our home base. Our travel agent (who is from Italy and returns once a month) has arranged a guide for us in Naples, saying that he would not send us there without a guide.
Sorrento or Naples?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Andalucia - very early trip thinking - reactions?
- 2 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 3 Paris/Prague/Budapest/Zagreb/Nice/Paris
- 4 Luggage storage in Barcelona
- 5 Earthquakes in Tuscany
- 6 Dublin, love it or hate it? please tell me why
- 7 Charles de Gaulle to Gare du Nord with limitations?
- 8 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 9 American Express
- 10 Airport ATMs
- 11 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 12 Bayonne or St Jean de Luz
- 13 Three ferries to Mull
- 14 N Ireland / Ireland driving
- 15 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 16 Bus Tour with a toddler
- 17 Christmas markets: E Germany, Poland, Prague
- 18 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 19 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 20 The Ghost of Christmas Future visited me..."Lead On"! Paris again...at Christmas.
- 21 All Set To Go!!
- 22 Our October trip to Andalucia!
- 23 Upgrading second class Swiss pass to first class for individual train rides
- 24 Accommodations in or near Brussels with parking
- 25 DIRECT trains from Rome FCO Airport to Venice start 12/14/2014