We are returning to Italy and are finalizing our itinerary and wondered if we should make Sorrento or Naples our home base for visiting the Amalfi Coast and surrounding area. I realize that Naples is a big city and have read all the comments about how "unsafe" it can be but also realize that street smarts is important in any large city. I would like to hear from anyone who has stayed in both places and what are the differences and suggestions as to which one we should make our home base. Our travel agent (who is from Italy and returns once a month) has arranged a guide for us in Naples, saying that he would not send us there without a guide.
Sorrento or Naples?
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 2 First time traveler to Ireland
- 3 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 4 Salamanca, Barcelona, o Valencia?
- 5 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 6 Wake up...all fodor posters who are so helpful...
- 7 Mad Dash Across Too Much - Rome
- 8 Prague - must see
- 9 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 10 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 11 Euro Train
- 12 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice
- 13 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?
- 14 Getting to Gatwick and home again
- 15 First timer! Trip to London over New Year's next year!
- 16 Advises for trip to Russia
- 17 ONE DAY IN PARIS PLEASE HELP!!
- 18 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 19 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 20 2 Week(ish) Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help - First Time Europe Travelers
- 21 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 22 Backpacking Europe beginners questions!
- 23 Two weeks in Northern Italy - what do you think of our outline?
- 24 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 25 need good quiet Paris hotel: possible?