We are returning to Italy and are finalizing our itinerary and wondered if we should make Sorrento or Naples our home base for visiting the Amalfi Coast and surrounding area. I realize that Naples is a big city and have read all the comments about how "unsafe" it can be but also realize that street smarts is important in any large city. I would like to hear from anyone who has stayed in both places and what are the differences and suggestions as to which one we should make our home base. Our travel agent (who is from Italy and returns once a month) has arranged a guide for us in Naples, saying that he would not send us there without a guide.
Sorrento or Naples?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Family trip - 11 days/10 nights in Italy
- 2 Can you see the Matterhorn at all from Bellinzona Switzerland?
- 3 Tedgale Trip Report: Portugal in April 2014 (with Easter in Amsterdam)
- 4 avoiding stuffy and inflexible service at nice european resorts
- 5 First ever trip overseas - itinerary check
- 6 Rome Fiumicino terminal 2 to terminal 3
- 7 2 weeks in Europe
- 8 Rome airport--should I arrive more than 2 hours early?
- 9 Matisse at Tate
- 10 Ireland Southwest
- 11 Rethymnon vs. Chania in early October?
- 12 Irish Inns and B&B Reservations
- 13 Restaurant Recommendations for Lisbon
- 14 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 15 6 nights to spend between salzburg and austria
- 16 Where Would You Add Two Days - Tuscany & CT Itinerary
- 17 17 Days Route from Amsterdam to Zurich
- 18 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 19 Train from Brussels to Amsterdam
- 20 Ferry or Catamaran from Split-Hvar
- 21 Wisdom needed for a itinerary in northern Italy, Bavaria and Prague
- 22 Istanbul Itinerary
- 23 canadian memorial in Normandy France
- 24 Which other island would you pick for an Anniversary trip to Greece?
- 25 Venice to Dolomites then Tuscany? Need itinerary advice