We are returning to Italy and are finalizing our itinerary and wondered if we should make Sorrento or Naples our home base for visiting the Amalfi Coast and surrounding area. I realize that Naples is a big city and have read all the comments about how "unsafe" it can be but also realize that street smarts is important in any large city. I would like to hear from anyone who has stayed in both places and what are the differences and suggestions as to which one we should make our home base. Our travel agent (who is from Italy and returns once a month) has arranged a guide for us in Naples, saying that he would not send us there without a guide.
Sorrento or Naples?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain for 7 days
- 2 Stockholm/Archipelago Dinner Cruise
- 3 Spending money in Italy?
- 4 Help! Only a few days in CROTIA: where would you go?
- 5 Thanks to Fodorites for help planning Paris/London trip
- 6 Biking across Europe
- 7 Rioja in one day on way to Basque
- 8 Vacation Rental Home near Barcelona with 8 bed/8 bath help
- 9 London: Oyster Card or Travelcard?
- 10 Normandy in October
- 11 Itinerey help for a 27 day trip to Europe for April of 2015
- 12 I went to Paris in June
- 13 "Cool" places for dinner in Rome when it's hot
- 14 Paris in October solo - potpourri of questions
- 15 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 16 A week in Basque Country: Bilbao, San Sebastian, Biarritz
- 17 Guesthouses in Dublin
- 18 How do I use a SIM card in Spain and Portugal?
- 19 Tentative itinerary for Andalucia for April/May 2015
- 20 Jamikins and Bikerscott Go Francing: Cooking in the Alps and Alsace
- 21 spain in 14 nights with wife and 2 17 yrs old kids
- 22 Help! Just 3 nights in CROATIA: where should we go?
- 23 Oslo or Stockholm?
- 24 Teaching English in Europe or Asia
- 25 Parisbestlodge Fleur de Lys apt