Hello Fodorites. It's been a long time since I've been on this forum. This community has been an invaluable resource to me. My son will be backpacking through Europe this May for 1 month. He'll be travellling in France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy. He will be taking along an unlocked GSM phone. Can he purchase a SIM card at CDG or is it better to buy in town? He will only be using the phone for "necessary" calls, not for chit chat. Also, would a calling card be a good idea to limit costs for calling home? Finally, can you plug in your devices on the trains, as we can do here in Canada? Thanks for all your help.
son backpacking in Europe--question about SIM and charging mobile
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Chip + Pin Credit Card
- 2 Honeymooning in Croatia - 2 weeks in August
- 3 What's your suggestion ????
- 4 Germany and Switzerland
- 5 England, Scotland and Ireland Self-guided Tours
- 6 Zurich and other cities to visit?
- 7 Best london location to stay?
- 8 Multi-Generational Great Britain Tour
- 9 Marry in Venice travel to Florence, Rome, AC, Naples
- 10 Passport stamp in the UK
- 11 Ireland itinerary and accommodations advice?
- 12 2000 years, 2 countries, 2 passports: Rome & Madrid, Jan. 2015
- 13 Is Heathrow or Gatwick best to use for going to London?
- 14 SFO - CDG RT$769 ! Jump on it
- 15 Ireland 6 days / 5 nights
- 16 Using magnetic-strip ATM card to withdraw cash from Eurozone ATM
- 17 How far ahead do you buy plane tickets?
- 18 Three 3 Day weekends in Ireland!
- 19 Sleeper Coaches Tickets from Krakow to Budapest -- Cheap Sparnight fares
- 20 Summer Interrupted; Christmas in Germany & Switzerland
- 21 10 day itinerary in Puglia
- 22 Transferwise: My latest experience in currency exchange
- 23 Paris Accomodation, Which District
- 24 Rauma Train and the Atlantic Ocean Rd worth visiting?
- 25 I´ve resurrected an old blog on the Basque Country