Hello Fodorites. It's been a long time since I've been on this forum. This community has been an invaluable resource to me. My son will be backpacking through Europe this May for 1 month. He'll be travellling in France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy. He will be taking along an unlocked GSM phone. Can he purchase a SIM card at CDG or is it better to buy in town? He will only be using the phone for "necessary" calls, not for chit chat. Also, would a calling card be a good idea to limit costs for calling home? Finally, can you plug in your devices on the trains, as we can do here in Canada? Thanks for all your help.
son backpacking in Europe--question about SIM and charging mobile
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First ever trip overseas - itinerary check
- 2 Which other island would you pick for an Anniversary trip to Greece?
- 3 San Sebastian
- 4 avoiding stuffy and inflexible service at nice european resorts
- 5 Honeymoon in Greece or Italy or Spain?
- 6 Mephisto Shoes in Paris
- 7 Best hostels from experience
- 8 Istanbul Itinerary
- 9 Lake Como 3 Stretch and 7 Stretch Ferry Tickets
- 10 6 nights to spend between salzburg and austria
- 11 Tours for Ephesus and Cappadoccia
- 12 17 Days Route from Amsterdam to Zurich
- 13 Can you recommend a little seaside town near Athen?
- 14 What London location & hotels are the best for ??
- 15 Rome airport--should I arrive more than 2 hours early?
- 16 London, Liverpool, Scotland Itinerary
- 17 DH wants Paris but I need ACoast....itinerary help!
- 18 Irish Inns and B&B Reservations
- 19 3 weeks in December in Europe, need help with itinerary
- 20 Normandy, Brittany and Loire Valley in May - please help with itinerary
- 21 Tedgale Trip Report: Portugal in April 2014 (with Easter in Amsterdam)
- 22 7 Nights in Paris
- 23 London neighborhood suggestions
- 24 Where Would You Add Two Days - Tuscany & CT Itinerary
- 25 Ferry or Catamaran from Split-Hvar