It's my first time traveling out of Singapore/Southeast Asia and I would really like to visit Europe in May. Unfortunately all my friends aren't free/have other considerations so it would have to be a solo trip.
I'm a light skinned Asian, female, petite (160cm and UK size 4). I'm keen on architecture, museums, culture. Planning to live in hostels and live on a budget since this is my grad trip. My concerns are safety, language barrier (I speak only English and my Asian mother-tongue), ease of travel. I know that there are so many successful stories here and elsewhere on solo travel, but it seems that few are coming from an Asian perspective.
1) Where is safe/good given my considerations as an good introduction to Western Europe? I will be flying into either London or Paris and would like to spend 5-6 days each in London and Paris. I will be going for approx 25-30 days in total. My budget currently is 2,100 euros for the trip, excluding airtickets. This works out around 75 euros a day, including travel. I'll appreciate links to any itineraries.
2) I heard that Italy and Spain are too dangerous for a solo Asian like me - due to the pickpockets and language barrier. Any comments on that?
Traveling in May-Jun 2013.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London 2-for-1: Using an "unused" Train Ticket
- 2 48 hours in london with kids and stay at premier inn
- 3 Still deciding on what to do for six nights in Italy between Padua and Rome
- 4 Help with 1 week in Normandy / Loire Valley
- 5 Where should I spend my birthday?
- 6 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 7 Iceland 2 week trip itinerary/report
- 8 Italy for 2 weeks in late September to early October
- 9 Paris tipping hotel maids
- 10 Halfday in Barcelona
- 11 Rome/Sorrento/Amalfi Itinerary help
- 12 How has Rome changed in last 30 years?
- 13 Getting a rheum in Paris, then Django Fest week in Fontainebleau
- 14 Charles DeGaulle to Paris
- 15 2 Week Trip to Central/Eastern Europe
- 16 another Naples and Amalfi coast question
- 17 A nice, quiet and affordable place to stay?
- 18 My summer in Paris
- 19 Trip to Paris and Switzerland.
- 20 Need help planning a 20 day trip
- 21 Venice - airport, cruise ship terminal, hotel, & airport taxi question
- 22 Airbnb travel, travel Airbnb.
- 23 Trip planning--Portugal and Spain
- 24 first trip to Spain, help needed! - Mallorca, Andalusia, and Barcelona
- 25 Octoberfest
Solo travel for an Chinese female, aged 23 - itinerary suggestions