I've decided to go with a GPS navigation app for my iPhone while driving in Italy. I can't get a GPS Unit from my Car Rental service due to non-availability at the pickup point and as I am not a resident of the US for other online suppliers.
The options with positive reviews seem to be Navigon, TomTom and Magellan for the iPhone. (I need to be able to download the Maps to my phone so I don't have to rely on 3G, so the free Google Maps is off the table.)
(1) If anyone has used any of these, how does GPS navigation on Smartphones compare to a standalone device?
(2) Has anyone used Navigon, TomTom or Magellan? Any recommendations?
Hope someone can help. I'll post a review of my experience once I get back anyway if it may be of use to someone later on.
This is a followup from a previous question by me (http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/possible-to-rent-only-a-gps-unit-to-be-picked-up-in-rome.cfm).
I hope it isn't against forum rules or etiquette, but I'm posting this under a new topic as it's a different area I think.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 2 Where to eat Paella in Valencia?
- 3 Testimony
- 4 England and Wales by public transport
- 5 TRAVEL COMPANION WANTED
- 6 Car rental between countries
- 7 Spring Spain Itinerary
- 8 Rhine River Cruise
- 9 Layover at Lisbon and trip to Sintra
- 10 Barcelona completely overrated
- 11 Croatia-Slovenia- 30 days Road trip itinerary-2017
- 12 Iceland Trip Report - Very Long!
- 13 Greece in 15 Days
- 14 Walking Scotland
- 15 Adaptors for Belgium
- 16 Thanksgiving Trip from Land
- 17 Schengen Entry Ban ,can travel Romania?
- 18 Train Ticket Help
- 19 I forgot my international driver permit
- 20 Car rental scams at Frankfurt airport
- 21 Letter Designations on Transport Lines and Barcelona Card
- 22 Prague old town
- 23 Bordeaux TRIP
- 24 20 free days of Europe
- 25 Day Trip to Santa Margarhertia Ligure, Portofino, and Camogli