I've decided to go with a GPS navigation app for my iPhone while driving in Italy. I can't get a GPS Unit from my Car Rental service due to non-availability at the pickup point and as I am not a resident of the US for other online suppliers.
The options with positive reviews seem to be Navigon, TomTom and Magellan for the iPhone. (I need to be able to download the Maps to my phone so I don't have to rely on 3G, so the free Google Maps is off the table.)
(1) If anyone has used any of these, how does GPS navigation on Smartphones compare to a standalone device?
(2) Has anyone used Navigon, TomTom or Magellan? Any recommendations?
Hope someone can help. I'll post a review of my experience once I get back anyway if it may be of use to someone later on.
This is a followup from a previous question by me (http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/possible-to-rent-only-a-gps-unit-to-be-picked-up-in-rome.cfm).
I hope it isn't against forum rules or etiquette, but I'm posting this under a new topic as it's a different area I think.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 2 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
- 3 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 4 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 5 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 6 Alps Drive
- 7 Praiano
- 8 UK itinerary advice (family of 4)
- 9 No Periods in British Written English!
- 10 Help please
- 11 Funny One Michelin * Mix-Up in France!
- 12 Andalucia itinerary help
- 13 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 14 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 15 Lamezia Terme, Italy
- 16 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 17 Planning a Trip to Greece
- 18 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 19 Perugia
- 20 Family vacation to europe
- 21 Paris cooking classes
- 22 Ronda Wine/biking
- 23 Aix-- looking for a few obscure ideas
- 24 St Denis Cathedral
- 25 My Ring Road experience in Iceland