I've decided to go with a GPS navigation app for my iPhone while driving in Italy. I can't get a GPS Unit from my Car Rental service due to non-availability at the pickup point and as I am not a resident of the US for other online suppliers.
The options with positive reviews seem to be Navigon, TomTom and Magellan for the iPhone. (I need to be able to download the Maps to my phone so I don't have to rely on 3G, so the free Google Maps is off the table.)
(1) If anyone has used any of these, how does GPS navigation on Smartphones compare to a standalone device?
(2) Has anyone used Navigon, TomTom or Magellan? Any recommendations?
Hope someone can help. I'll post a review of my experience once I get back anyway if it may be of use to someone later on.
This is a followup from a previous question by me (http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/possible-to-rent-only-a-gps-unit-to-be-picked-up-in-rome.cfm).
I hope it isn't against forum rules or etiquette, but I'm posting this under a new topic as it's a different area I think.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train Questions: Getting a Train to Bruges And One Random Question
- 2 Italy Car Scam
- 3 Sicily in feb? If not, where to from Israel?
- 4 Barcelona alternative
- 5 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 6 Desperate! photo SD card says "not Formatted" is all lost!?
- 7 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 8 Driving through Paris
- 9 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 10 Spanish Medical Providers
- 11 Road trip with our dog
- 12 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 13 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 14 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 15 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 16 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 17 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 18 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 19 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 20 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 21 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 22 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 23 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 24 Suggestion for trip to Switzerland, Greece and Italy
- 25 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald