I've decided to go with a GPS navigation app for my iPhone while driving in Italy. I can't get a GPS Unit from my Car Rental service due to non-availability at the pickup point and as I am not a resident of the US for other online suppliers.
The options with positive reviews seem to be Navigon, TomTom and Magellan for the iPhone. (I need to be able to download the Maps to my phone so I don't have to rely on 3G, so the free Google Maps is off the table.)
(1) If anyone has used any of these, how does GPS navigation on Smartphones compare to a standalone device?
(2) Has anyone used Navigon, TomTom or Magellan? Any recommendations?
Hope someone can help. I'll post a review of my experience once I get back anyway if it may be of use to someone later on.
This is a followup from a previous question by me (http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/possible-to-rent-only-a-gps-unit-to-be-picked-up-in-rome.cfm).
I hope it isn't against forum rules or etiquette, but I'm posting this under a new topic as it's a different area I think.
Smartphone (iOS) GPS navigation good enough? Which app?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 2 Euro Trivia Quiz #12 - Know Your Rivers?
- 3 Schengen Visa Rules
- 4 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 5 Scotland November 2015
- 6 Since Paris is ALWAYS good idea
- 7 Recommended overnight stops on Iceland ring road
- 8 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules Salerno/Amalfi/Positano Just Released
- 9 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 10 Itinerary help, England/Wales
- 11 Southern Spain
- 12 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 13 Switzerland's Iconic Postal Buses...A Whole Different Switzerland!
- 14 Museums in Berlin
- 15 3 days and 4 nights in Switzerland
- 16 Best Option for London Travelcard?
- 17 Neuschwanstein Castle from Zermatt
- 18 5 Hoosiers - help with route through Germany
- 19 5 Observations About Paris
- 20 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 21 Ideas for Itinerary from Frankfurt
- 22 Amsterdam in the early 1980s
- 23 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 24 Paris to Barcelona by car/train - including Loire/Bordeax/Carcassonne
- 25 Is my plan ok