I've decided to go with a GPS navigation app for my iPhone while driving in Italy. I can't get a GPS Unit from my Car Rental service due to non-availability at the pickup point and as I am not a resident of the US for other online suppliers.
The options with positive reviews seem to be Navigon, TomTom and Magellan for the iPhone. (I need to be able to download the Maps to my phone so I don't have to rely on 3G, so the free Google Maps is off the table.)
(1) If anyone has used any of these, how does GPS navigation on Smartphones compare to a standalone device?
(2) Has anyone used Navigon, TomTom or Magellan? Any recommendations?
Hope someone can help. I'll post a review of my experience once I get back anyway if it may be of use to someone later on.
This is a followup from a previous question by me (http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/possible-to-rent-only-a-gps-unit-to-be-picked-up-in-rome.cfm).
I hope it isn't against forum rules or etiquette, but I'm posting this under a new topic as it's a different area I think.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 PARIS. GTG-------Sept.14, 2016, anyone interested?
- 2 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 3 2 week in Europe Itinerary help
- 4 Car Rental in Italy: Insurance Needed/Suggested
- 5 Seville itinerary critic and advice please
- 6 KLM mandatory Animal Hotel SCAM
- 7 HOTEL IN STOCKHOLM
- 8 Costal Spain Vacation Rental House Advice
- 9 Immigration from Italy to Ireland to US
- 10 Best coastal town within 3 hours of Barcelona (with kids)
- 11 Where do I pass through immigration in the UK
- 12 European Championship
- 13 Departure Tax in UK
- 14 Parking in Italy
- 15 MADRID-ARANDA DEL DUERO-BURGOS- (??)
- 16 FAQs
- 17 Cancelling apartment in PARIS
- 18 Very last minute Swiss train help!
- 19 Bel Canto restaurant, Paris
- 20 1 week in Malaga
- 21 http://www.toptryloburn.com/ombia-derma-reviews/
- 22 Inside of that plastic area you’ll see lights
- 23 Where to stop between Dijon & the Loire Valley (Chinon)?
- 24 Is Heathrow or Gatwick best to use for going to London?
- 25 Long Train Runnin' through the Alps (Switzerland 2016)