I've decided to go with a GPS navigation app for my iPhone while driving in Italy. I can't get a GPS Unit from my Car Rental service due to non-availability at the pickup point and as I am not a resident of the US for other online suppliers.
The options with positive reviews seem to be Navigon, TomTom and Magellan for the iPhone. (I need to be able to download the Maps to my phone so I don't have to rely on 3G, so the free Google Maps is off the table.)
(1) If anyone has used any of these, how does GPS navigation on Smartphones compare to a standalone device?
(2) Has anyone used Navigon, TomTom or Magellan? Any recommendations?
Hope someone can help. I'll post a review of my experience once I get back anyway if it may be of use to someone later on.
This is a followup from a previous question by me (http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/possible-to-rent-only-a-gps-unit-to-be-picked-up-in-rome.cfm).
I hope it isn't against forum rules or etiquette, but I'm posting this under a new topic as it's a different area I think.
Smartphone (iOS) GPS navigation good enough? Which app?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 French Government Endorses Airbnb in Paris...
- 2 First pass itinerary for Spain in October?
- 3 Best of Southern France and Spain
- 4 Spain pre cruise and post cruise stay
- 5 Top 5 choices from London
- 6 EUROPE IN 5 MONTHS
- 7 Trip to Cornwall with senior - logistics assistance please?
- 8 Switzerland - Trip for 8 days with 2 kids (5&3)
- 9 Is my itinerary the Best of Switzerland?
- 10 Trip from Berlin to Romantic Road towns/Bavaria
- 11 Flamenco show- madrid or seville?
- 12 Spring in Spain: Crawling up Mallorca; Pushing Through Toledo
- 13 Dijon or Beaune for overnight?
- 14 driving barcelona to madrid in 2-3 days- itinerary help. wine stops?
- 15 Rome - A Couple of Questions
- 16 14 Day Swiss Itinerary Sep-2015
- 17 Paris and Rouen 2015
- 18 3 nights in sorrento/amalfi - please help with day planning
- 19 What Have I Forgotten? Month in Europe Coming Up.
- 20 Plan for the Drive from York to Edinburgh
- 21 two weeks in Paris-- looking for new ideas
- 22 Chip and Pin Card from Capital One
- 23 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 24 Macarons!
- 25 Train from Rome Airport FCO to Florence