I've decided to go with a GPS navigation app for my iPhone while driving in Italy. I can't get a GPS Unit from my Car Rental service due to non-availability at the pickup point and as I am not a resident of the US for other online suppliers.
The options with positive reviews seem to be Navigon, TomTom and Magellan for the iPhone. (I need to be able to download the Maps to my phone so I don't have to rely on 3G, so the free Google Maps is off the table.)
(1) If anyone has used any of these, how does GPS navigation on Smartphones compare to a standalone device?
(2) Has anyone used Navigon, TomTom or Magellan? Any recommendations?
Hope someone can help. I'll post a review of my experience once I get back anyway if it may be of use to someone later on.
This is a followup from a previous question by me (http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/possible-to-rent-only-a-gps-unit-to-be-picked-up-in-rome.cfm).
I hope it isn't against forum rules or etiquette, but I'm posting this under a new topic as it's a different area I think.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 2 Roughing out a train/car trip from London to Scotland
- 3 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 4 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 5 Honeymoon in Greece
- 6 Two for One Days OUt
- 7 Tour of Northern Italy
- 8 Traveling Solo to the Baltics
- 9 Italy for Christmas Week
- 10 How much time to allow between arrival at CDG and train departure?
- 11 restaurants in Marais district
- 12 About to buy tickets to Greece - advice please!
- 13 Shoes in Scotland
- 14 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 15 A Month stay in Southern France
- 16 Question about National Visa to Tourist Visa
- 17 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 18 Northern Italy 11 days Milan in/out
- 19 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 20 Chilling in the Cyclades May 2014--Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Santorini, Athens
- 21 B&B suggestions for Dublin, Kinsale, Killarney, Ennis
- 22 A Week In Athens - Trip Report
- 23 Easiest London Airport for Transfer To/From Heathrow
- 24 Honeymoon in April-May 2017: Spain or Greece?
- 25 France & Italy, May or June