I am visiting Rome at the end of the month and looking into tours for the Vatican/St. Peter's/Sistine Chapel and considering a small group tour for the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill. Two friends of mine highly recommend a private tour of the Vatican. Since I am a solo traveler, this would be quite expensive. I did come across Context tours and figured that their 4 hour, smaller group tour (Arte Vaticana), which they quote a maximum of 6 people, would be a good compromise. I am leaning towards this option, although I welcome suggestions for any other reasonably priced small group tours. Through my research, Context seems the most well known for the smaller group size.
Regarding the Colosseum, I am debating between Walks of Italy (with its Underground Colosseum option) and Context Tours. I think I would benefit from a tour to get a good historical perspective rather than wandering around by myself. They are similar in price, although Context Tours does not mention the Underground Colosseum in the regular tour and may charge an extra fee that I am not interested in. I would like some opinions regarding these two options. Is the Underground a must? Context Tours has a smaller group size, which is a plus but I am not sure how important that is for the Colosseum/Forum. Does anyone know if Context Tours would provide more in depth history?
I plan on requesting a Scavi Tour ASAP. Debating about visiting catacombs as well.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 2 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 3 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 4 Lake Como AREA questions
- 5 PORTO (???) combine with Galicia??
- 6 Spain - day driver advice
- 7 Sitting at a cafe watching the world go by - hmmm...
- 8 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 9 Please help with Carry-on Question--CDG!
- 10 Day Trips from Zug in Switzerland
- 11 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 12 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 13 Best walking route Plitvice Lakes
- 14 London with Teens Trip Report
- 15 Bregenzer Festspiele: the opera Carmen
- 16 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 17 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 18 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 19 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 20 Trains from Istanbul to Budapest
- 21 Madrird and Seville
- 22 Greece
- 23 Ludwig Castles
- 24 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 25 FYI, Bourdain in Porto, this Sunday (July 2)
Small group tour for Vatican and Colosseum/Forum, ? catacombs