I am visiting Rome at the end of the month and looking into tours for the Vatican/St. Peter's/Sistine Chapel and considering a small group tour for the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill. Two friends of mine highly recommend a private tour of the Vatican. Since I am a solo traveler, this would be quite expensive. I did come across Context tours and figured that their 4 hour, smaller group tour (Arte Vaticana), which they quote a maximum of 6 people, would be a good compromise. I am leaning towards this option, although I welcome suggestions for any other reasonably priced small group tours. Through my research, Context seems the most well known for the smaller group size.
Regarding the Colosseum, I am debating between Walks of Italy (with its Underground Colosseum option) and Context Tours. I think I would benefit from a tour to get a good historical perspective rather than wandering around by myself. They are similar in price, although Context Tours does not mention the Underground Colosseum in the regular tour and may charge an extra fee that I am not interested in. I would like some opinions regarding these two options. Is the Underground a must? Context Tours has a smaller group size, which is a plus but I am not sure how important that is for the Colosseum/Forum. Does anyone know if Context Tours would provide more in depth history?
I plan on requesting a Scavi Tour ASAP. Debating about visiting catacombs as well.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain
- 2 Heading to Amsterdam soon. Do you recommend I try weed?
- 3 Bath/Cotswolds
- 4 Shorts in South of France?
- 5 Spain: train/rental car help
- 6 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 7 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 8 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 9 First trip to the UK, please help me
- 10 Globus Iberian Tour
- 11 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 12 base for Andalucia
- 13 Italy travel plan help
- 14 Italy itinerary - input needed, please!!
- 15 Florence hotels: JK Place vs. Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni
- 16 23 day honeymoon to Greece
- 17 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 18 Copenhagen,Helsinki,St. Petersburg in mid September
- 19 Getting from Bordeaux Gare to the airport
- 20 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 21 Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch
- 22 Black Forest base 7-10 days - public transport
- 23 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 24 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 25 Loire Valley best place to linger
Small group tour for Vatican and Colosseum/Forum, ? catacombs