I am visiting Rome at the end of the month and looking into tours for the Vatican/St. Peter's/Sistine Chapel and considering a small group tour for the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill. Two friends of mine highly recommend a private tour of the Vatican. Since I am a solo traveler, this would be quite expensive. I did come across Context tours and figured that their 4 hour, smaller group tour (Arte Vaticana), which they quote a maximum of 6 people, would be a good compromise. I am leaning towards this option, although I welcome suggestions for any other reasonably priced small group tours. Through my research, Context seems the most well known for the smaller group size.
Regarding the Colosseum, I am debating between Walks of Italy (with its Underground Colosseum option) and Context Tours. I think I would benefit from a tour to get a good historical perspective rather than wandering around by myself. They are similar in price, although Context Tours does not mention the Underground Colosseum in the regular tour and may charge an extra fee that I am not interested in. I would like some opinions regarding these two options. Is the Underground a must? Context Tours has a smaller group size, which is a plus but I am not sure how important that is for the Colosseum/Forum. Does anyone know if Context Tours would provide more in depth history?
I plan on requesting a Scavi Tour ASAP. Debating about visiting catacombs as well.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 CDG much improved
- 2 St Denis Cathedral
- 3 Itinerary Advice London and Paris with 2 Adults 2 Children (7 and 8.5)
- 4 Praiano
- 5 Day trips to Windsor Castle and Hampton Court from London
- 6 Best way from London to Gatwick these days?
- 7 Aix-- looking for a few obscure ideas
- 8 Norway fjord
- 9 Travelogue: Norway with kids (Bergen & Fjord)
- 10 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 11 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 12 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 13 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 14 3 Weeks in Ireland - Itinerary help needed
- 15 Naples/The Amalfi Coast...and Sicily?
- 16 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 17 Stockholm during midsummer
- 18 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 19 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 20 No Periods in British Written English!
- 21 Review Final Iceland Itinerary Please
- 22 Semana Santa Other than Sevilla
- 23 Hotel Danube. Paris.
- 24 Seeking Andalusia itinerary recommendation
- 25 Ireland last minute recommendations
Small group tour for Vatican and Colosseum/Forum, ? catacombs